SGX shmup prototype

Started by touko, 10/29/2013, 04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touko

Hi, i made a prototype of my new SGX game ..
Sorry for graphics, they are stollen from metal slug and gradius .

This graphics were used quickly for RGC 2013, a retro gaming convention in france, but they allowed me to test my new PCE/SGX graphic libraries and more .

Musics were made for this game by RayXamBer,and title screen by crapahute .
Supergrafx shmup Alpha 2013 10 15

Arjak

Hey, that's a pretty nice start! Everything seems to be running smoothly.

Keep up the good work!
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

pixeljunkie

very impressive to see all the scrolling and colors together! Could be amazing. I think a super polished, homebrew shmup for SGX would be rad as hell.

Arkhan Asylum

Looks like you're off to a good start there!

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Dude, super sweet. Keep at it! :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Opethian

IMG

spenoza

This brings up a couple interesting questions about the SGX. Using hsync tricks, could it be possible to emulate several overlapping background layers without the use of sprites? Also, with two video processors on tap, can the SGX use twice as many color palettes simultaneously?

esteban

TOUKO, I made comments on YouTube, but not here:

AWESOME.

Continue.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 10/29/2013, 05:38 PMThis brings up a couple interesting questions about the SGX. Using hsync tricks, could it be possible to emulate several overlapping background layers without the use of sprites? Also, with two video processors on tap, can the SGX use twice as many color palettes simultaneously?
Yes, Hsync tricks can be used to overlap the same 2 BGs several times.
The SGX has 2 VDCs, but only one VCE, which manages the palettes, so: same # of palettes as the PCE.

Cool demo, Touko!

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

saturndual32

Looks great. And Metal Slug graphics running on PCE hardware?, thats a dream come true!
Very promising!

touko

Thanks for all your comments  :wink:

Quote from: guest on 10/29/2013, 05:38 PMThis brings up a couple interesting questions about the SGX. Using hsync tricks, could it be possible to emulate several overlapping background layers without the use of sprites?
Yes, this is what i do,all parallaxes are tiles only, and the hud is also tiles .
You cannot plays with background priority as Md/snes do, but you can easy do it manually, when you create the background layers .

Keep in mind that almost the graphics was done quickly, the final game should be better,and of course without ripped assets.

The main purpose of this alpha, is to test some new SGX/PCE routines, mainly for sprites (the old devkit method was not good for me) .
And maybe BillyBoy will be the first SGX+scd²+AC game  :D

NecroPhile

Cool demo!  Is there a technical reason that the background tiles repeat so quickly (memory limits or what not), or is it just because they're placeholders?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

touko

Don't worry it's just by laziness  :wink:

Arkhan Asylum

I'm curious about the sounds.

Are the voices ADPCM, the music all CD (with some obvious chip sounds, such as the level intro and stuff)?

Are the sfx using Squirrel!?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

touko

Quote from: guest on 10/30/2013, 07:52 PMI'm curious about the sounds.

Are the voices ADPCM, the music all CD (with some obvious chip sounds, such as the level intro and stuff)?

Are the sfx using Squirrel!?
No ,i use my own sound driver ..
It's very easy and fast for classic sound fx, but not as advanced than squirrel .

As i use CDA for musics, i don't need advanced features of squirrel, because for now i am not yet able to make complex sounds.

SuperPlay

Looking good, nice demo

touko

TurboXray

Can't wait to see more :D

touko

termis

That's very nice!  Would love to see a new SGX release some day!

FraGMarE

Touko, check your messages.  Sent you a present.  :)

touko

:shock:, fantastic, it looks realy, realy nice ..
Thanks man  :wink:

turbokon

Looks awesome, keep up the good work!!
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

TurboXray

touko, where do you hang out (irc???)?

touko

in general or for this project ??

We have a dedicated forum, else i have a blog for my own stuff.

TurboXray

In general. I need to convince stef to come over to the light side (PCE) :D

touko

LOL good luck , he's a megadrive intergrist and he is not really interested to evelop on other consoles, and probably because he also have not enough time .

He dislike totaly the 65x processor familly  .. :P

touko

Hi, you can see some new screens of our new SGX shmup ...
All gfx are made by fragmare .

IMG IMG

/axcg.png

sirhcman

looking good! any videos coming soon?!

touko

ccovell

touko

Tatsujin

hahaha..got it :P

I love me some crooked bldgs :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

megatron-uk

It looks quite 'Aeroblaster-y' towards the end of the first level where the city is levelled by the boss.

touko

ahaha yes ,but all shmups must have their city level . :-)

It's easy to work with frag, because he knows PCE very well, and like me, he loves parallaxes  :mrgreen: