10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Dracula X (PC Engine) Vs Super Castlevania IV (SNES) - which game is better?

Started by Otaking, 11/13/2013, 09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracula X (PC Engine) Vs Super Castlevania IV (SNES) - which game is better?

Dracula X (PC Engine)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

warpig227

IV ! maybe its because i grew up on it but buy a hair i go with iv

Tatsujin

I also had IV 3 years before drac x, and drac x still wins a million times over IV. hehe.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

FINAL CONSENSUS: Super Castlevania IV edges out Dracula X in a closely fought contest. Ultimately, Dracula X simply did not age as well as SCIV.

THANK YOU. THIS DISCUSSION IS NOW PERMANENTLY OVER.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

geise

esteban

Otaking

I nearly made this versus battle
Dracula X (PC Engine) Vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
I wonder if the voting poll have been closer with these two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

OldRover

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 04/03/2014, 07:54 AMI nearly made this versus battle
Dracula X (PC Engine) Vs Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
I wonder if the voting poll have been closer with these two.
I have been playing SotN over the past couple of days... never played it before. I've gotta say... this game is fucking awesome. But, it'd be like comparing apples to oranges... it's not a level-based platformer like Rondo is, it's an explorative ("open world") platformer, so really all you'd be doing is comparing representatives of two distinct platformer subgenres that both just so happen to be Castlevania games.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

geise

Only thing I don't like about SotN is how easy the damn game is.  Even with losing all your weapons reaching Death in the first level.

OldRover

Yeah, that's true... it's been a cakewalk for the most part for me so far... and in parts where it might be tough to kill a boss, all you have to do is level up and/or change equipment. Also, some parts were just bloody obvious to figure out, but I'm sure the designers thought they were so clever... spike-breaking armor found after a hallway of spikes you can Mist through... hrm... I'm sure that's clever to a 7 year old, but it was the bleeding obvious to me.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Tatsujin

gamerslife

sadly i've never played the pce version of Dracula X, but have them both on the SNES and do enjoy X more than IV so I'm sure PCE X wins this contest for me too
The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N. -Wooderson (AKA:Matthew McConaughey)

Tatsujin

yeah. definitely must be that way, since: pce drac x [x-------------------l--------------------]  snes drac x

and now, GET PCE DRAC X AT ONCE!!! :P

OldRover

gamerslife

lol, i would obey but not for $100......ill wait till i can get a deal
The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N. -Wooderson (AKA:Matthew McConaughey)

Tatsujin

lol $100 is such cheap considering the uberquality of that ubergame it should be more like $3000..HAHA!!

gamerslife

if it was 3k we could call it magical dracula x chase, actually that would prob make it 5K or more

Tatsujin

just wanted to express of how good of a game it is on a "would have to pay for its goodness" scala :)

esteban

Quote from: gamerslife on 04/06/2014, 02:29 AMlol, i would obey but not for $100......ill wait till i can get a deal
As tats already suggested, this is one of those rare times where paying $100, even if you are poor, is totally worth it.

This games is easily worth the price of several premium games because it provides so much entertainment/fun.

YOU WILL REPLAY THIS.  Then, even if you shelve it for a year or two, YOU WILL REPLAY IT AND ASK YOURSELF (1) why didn't I do this sooner and (2) why can't all my $$$ be spent on things that have a huge payoff/return on investment?

Thinking long-term, Dracula X holds it's value (fun-wise).

Lots of other games lose their novelty/magic once you play the hell out of them.

:pcgs:

Tatsujin

probably easily the most best spent monies for any game you can get out there, EVER :idea:

gamerslife

ok ill look into it a little harder but if i decide ya'll lied i will have to start beating my hamster again since they can't call the cops and no one cares about hamsters, its the lucky winner of my wrath....hahaha

geise

I've owned the game for over 2 decades and I just played it again last night!  I will do the same thing in another 20 when I'm about 60 years old.  I just hope my reflexes hold out till then.  :lol:  "I don't remember this game being so difficult." IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: esteban on 04/06/2014, 05:32 AM
Quote from: gamerslife on 04/06/2014, 02:29 AMlol, i would obey but not for $100......ill wait till i can get a deal
As tats already suggested, this is one of those rare times where paying $100, even if you are poor, is totally worth it.

This games is easily worth the price of several premium games because it provides so much entertainment/fun.

YOU WILL REPLAY THIS.  Then, even if you shelve it for a year or two, YOU WILL REPLAY IT AND ASK YOURSELF (1) why didn't I do this sooner and (2) why can't all my $$$ be spent on things that have a huge payoff/return on investment?

Thinking long-term, Dracula X holds it's value (fun-wise).

Lots of other games lose their novelty/magic once you play the hell out of them.

:pcgs:
Definitely.

Rondo is a testament to game design, while Dracula X is the antithesis.

Besides, think Rondo at $100 is expensive? Dracula X's U.S. version goes for $150 just for a cart!

Also, I played SOTN for the first time a few months ago (got the 360 port), and it was incredible. However, it's platforming isn't as good as Rondo's, and it's exploration isn't as good as Super Metroid's.

gamerslife

Ya I got Dracula x for what the cart goes for now....but my big prob is the japan ebay users keeping the prices high...I have lots of friends in japan so I've been waiting for a game to pull the buddy card and I might do it for this...we'll see

InfraMan

I always enjoyed Dracula X on the SNES, and I never understood why it got so much flak from everyone. Then I finally got to play Rondo on the PCE, and I was like "Ohhhhhhh, that's why." :lol:

Tatsujin

Quote from: InfraMan on 04/06/2014, 10:16 PMI always enjoyed Dracula X on the SNES, and I never understood why it got so much flak from everyone. Then I finally got to play Rondo on the PCE, and I was like "Ohhhhhhh, that's why." :lol:
Such teh GOOD!!!
IMG

MrWunderful

I am trying really hard to dig up a copy right now. I am cool paying around 100$ too (yay tax return). All i hear is how great this game is and I cant wait.
Sell me your loose Hu Cards!!

Tatsujin

wildfruit

ClodBusted

That's what I did along with Gradius II to get an initial taste of the PCE, before spending money on the actual hardware.

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 04/07/2014, 03:42 AMThat's what I did along with Gradius II to get an initial taste of the PCE, before spending money on the actual hardware.
And I take it that Gradius II superbness did just blow you right out of your shoes :)

ClodBusted

MrWunderful

Quote from: guest on 04/07/2014, 03:42 AMThat's what I did along with Gradius II to get an initial taste of the PCE, before spending money on the actual hardware.
All i had to do to get hooked was feel the amazing controller and play shadow of the beast once.

Dat parallax scrolling!
Sell me your loose Hu Cards!!

cr8zykuban0

Tatsujin

DeshDildo

.02 from the new guy is Dracula X hands down.  I bought my first TG16 about 1.5 years ago and fell ccompletely in love.  My expectations for collecting for it were very low as everything is so hard to find and a bit pricey compared to other platforms I collect for. 

One day I went to a buddy's house who had downloaded Drac X on virtual console.  The 15 minutes worth I played that game inspired me to acquire a CD system just to play that game.  I've played through IV and it didn't even inspire me enough to purchase a copy.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

geise

Quote from: Desh on 04/10/2014, 01:48 PM.02 from the new guy is Dracula X hands down.  I bought my first TG16 about 1.5 years ago and fell ccompletely in love.  My expectations for collecting for it were very low as everything is so hard to find and a bit pricey compared to other platforms I collect for. 

One day I went to a buddy's house who had downloaded Drac X on virtual console.  The 15 minutes worth I played that game inspired me to acquire a CD system just to play that game.  I've played through IV and it didn't even inspire me enough to purchase a copy.
Just the fact that you very recently played Drac X for the first time and were amazed, says something about this game.  I was blown away when I got it in 93, but for people to still be in awe by it shows how completely awesome Dracula X really is.

Ninja16608

I'm up in the air over the Drac X and super castle. I thought both games were very well designed and very playable. I love the whip brandishing and swinging of super castle, and i love the back flip in Drac x. Both had great level design but I have to tip my hat to the SNES version unfortunately they were able to do things just not possible on the TG16 and I say this with the utmost love for my TG but the rotating rooms and swinging and skellies busing out of windows from the "tube room" in super castle blew me away.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Ninja16608 on 04/15/2014, 11:52 AMI'm up in the air over the Drac X and super castle. I thought both games were very well designed and very playable. I love the whip brandishing and swinging of super castle, and i love the back flip in Drac x. Both had great level design but I have to tip my hat to the SNES version unfortunately they were able to do things just not possible on the TG16 and I say this with the utmost love for my TG but the rotating rooms and swinging and skellies busing out of windows from the "tube room" in super castle blew me away.
What about all the things Rondo does which are not possible on SNES?

Do you really value pixelation/distortion over beautifully detailed art and animation?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: Ninja16608 on 04/15/2014, 11:52 AMI'm up in the air over the Drac X and super castle. I thought both games were very well designed and very playable. I love the whip brandishing and swinging of super castle, and i love the back flip in Drac x. Both had great level design but I have to tip my hat to the SNES version unfortunately they were able to do things just not possible on the TG16 and I say this with the utmost love for my TG but the rotating rooms and swinging and skellies busing out of windows from the "tube room" in super castle blew me away.
I say: play the hell out of both games. I did, to point where I was sick of them (well, sick of all the old Castlevania games).

Let a few years elapse. A decade, say.

Ultimately, I find myself going back to PCE DRAG EXXX more frequently.

Believe me, I don't hate the SNES, or its Castlevanias (they dwell within a small crevice of my heart), but they simply can't compare to PCE DRAG EXXX.

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 04/15/2014, 12:51 PM
What about all the things Rondo does which are not possible on SNES?

Do you really value pixelation/distortion over beautifully detailed art and animation?
HAHAHA! exactly my thoughts.

johnnykonami

I wish Konami would make some new Castlevania games up to the standards of these.  To me the peak of the series is Dracula X (PCE of course), Bloodlines, and Symphony of the Night.  I did play many of the Gameboy Metroidvanias but they were missing the right vibe imo.  And the last 2-3 games to come out don't compare either.  I think the lack of Japanese development is a problem for these old series, they just become completely different in the hands of anyone but the original creators and Konami loves to bid out their beloved franchises (rip silent hill as well)

Otaking

Quote from: johnnykonami on 04/17/2014, 12:38 PMTo me the peak of the series is Dracula X (PCE of course),Bloodlines, and Symphony of the Night.
I agree apart from I think that Super Castlevaina IV is million times better than Bloodlines.
 :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

InfraMan

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 04/17/2014, 02:46 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 04/17/2014, 12:38 PMTo me the peak of the series is Dracula X (PCE of course),Bloodlines, and Symphony of the Night.
I agree apart from I think that Super Castlevania IV is million times better than Bloodlines.
All of my favorites, though I would stick Castlevania III in that group too.

johnnykonami

I agree apart from I think that Super Castlevaina IV is million times better than Bloodlines.
I like Castlevania IV, but I think I like Bloodlines more.  Bloodlines is all original material - lots of great new music (my personal favorite is the sinking sanctuary), great effects done by staff who would go on to form Treasure, and just an all around tight game.  Super Castlevania has one of my favorite themes though - the end battle with Dracula.  Lots of good memories with both. Simon looks his dorkiest in IV though.

Quote from: InfraMan on 04/17/2014, 04:11 PM
I agree apart from I think that Super Castlevania IV is million times better than Bloodlines.
You are right of course, I completely agree.  Especially the Japanese version with the enhanced music!

Tatsujin

and the peke akumajou dracula. it's just the best 100% straight forward pure action cast there is.

and it has one of the best and also exclusive BGMs -> Moon Fight!!

johnnykonami

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/17/2014, 08:01 PM
and the peke akumajou dracula. it's just the best 100% straight forward pure action cast there is.

Woah!  Hold the phone!  I knew Moon Fight (it was on the 68k version, I think) but I had no idea about this even existing because I played on a Duo!  I had to look up "peke" to see what you meant, I guess maybe I can try emulating to see it?  I can't believe I didn't know about this after all these years!

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Akumajyo_Dracula_Peke

Tatsujin

Quote from: johnnykonami on 04/17/2014, 09:25 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/17/2014, 08:01 PM

Woah!  Hold the phone!  I knew Moon Fight (it was on the 68k version, I think) but I had no idea about this even existing because I played on a Duo!  I had to look up "peke" to see what you meant, I guess maybe I can try emulating to see it?  I can't believe I didn't know about this after all these years!

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Akumajyo_Dracula_Peke
hahaha..some confusions here.

"peke" also is a synonym for "x68k", it simply stands for the "X" in front of the 68k. so not the akumajou dracula peke when you start it up without the sys 3.0 was ment.

and sure "akumajou dracula peke" does not include "moon Fight". it's only one silly, like in total 3 screens wide  super mini-stage, with maria waiting for you at the end and tells you aboutle sys 3.0 huey.

so what I really meant was to add the x68k akumajou dracula (= peke dracula).

sorry for that ;)