10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Rampage and other missed opportunities

Started by spenoza, 11/19/2013, 10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spenoza

It occurs to me that the TG-16 REALLY needed a port of Rampage. It would've fit on a chip pretty easily. They probably could've one-upped the arcade in some areas, like animation, as well.

Almost makes me have to mull over what other great titles were probably never even in the running.

roflmao

Yeah, Rampage would have been awesome.

Would the Turbo/PCE have been able to pull off a Scorched Earth/Worms type of game?  That would be cool.

I'd still like to see a homebrewer try their hand at a Tower Defense style game.

OldMan

I second rampage. I loved that game.
Scorched Earth would be doable, I think. Depends on the weapons available.
Something like tower defense would be possible, too.  Not a whole lot to the actual game engine, as far as I can tell....
I'd like to see a version of rogue, as well.

Too bad I'm involved in other things..

Tatsujin

As always..a contra, a hammerin' harry and a makaimura would have been great!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

ParanoiaDragon

Yeah, one of my dream projects would be to take the arcade graphics of Contra, with the NES version of the game, along with some redbook audio by me, if not a chip soundtrack.  Rampage would rock, could throw in Larry the Rat ala Lynx, not to mention updating the gfx.
IMG

turboswimbz

I always wished there were a few more RPG's and some more platformers like rampage.  I think the Turbo could have done a good job with many of these.  Cool spot or the disney games could have been epic on the turbo. I mean the bonk games or ninja spirit for instance are good indications of how well, colorful and fun some of those platformers could have been.  Don't get me wrong I love the arcade ports but some more platforming like games would have been awesome.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

majors

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 11/20/2013, 12:13 AM... not to mention updating the gfx.
As long as it stays Rampage...the later Rampage World tour with it's 90's-must-have-pre-render-gfx was not approved by me! I love the Lynx version, good game for that system.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

geise

A Final Fight would've been great.

As for Rampage, that would've been awesome.  If my Atari ST can do an OK port I am more than certain the Turbo/PC-E could do it.

Otaking

Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/19/2013, 11:02 PMAs always..a contra, a hammerin' harry and a makaimura would have been great!
+1 agree to all three of those, not heard anyone mentioned the idea of a Hammerin' Harry PCE game before, would be awesome.

Personally I would of loved a DoReMi Fantasy Milon game on the PCE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

NecroPhile

Tetris!  Japan got some good falling block puzzlers with Columns, Hatris, Puyo Puyo, and Panic Bomberman, but all we got was lousy Drop Off.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

Quote from: turboswimbz on 11/20/2013, 08:56 AMI always wished there were a few more RPG's and some more platformers like rampage.  I think the Turbo could have done a good job with many of these.  Cool spot or the disney games could have been epic on the turbo. I mean the bonk games or ninja spirit for instance are good indications of how well, colorful and fun some of those platformers could have been.  Don't get me wrong I love the arcade ports but some more platforming like games would have been awesome.
do you already own shubibinman 2 & 3, faussette amour, Chiki Chiki Boys, Aoi Blink,  Dragon EGG, Dynastic Hero, Horror story, Adventure Island, (takahashi meijin no shinboukenjima) NAI, Genji Tsushin Agedama, Gekisha Boy, Jackie Chan, Jigoku Meguri, and and and and??..if you look out, there are quite a plenty of excellent platformers available on the PCE :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/20/2013, 12:18 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 11/20/2013, 08:56 AMI always wished there were a few more RPG's and some more platformers like rampage.  I think the Turbo could have done a good job with many of these.  Cool spot or the disney games could have been epic on the turbo. I mean the bonk games or ninja spirit for instance are good indications of how well, colorful and fun some of those platformers could have been.  Don't get me wrong I love the arcade ports but some more platforming like games would have been awesome.
do you already own shubibinman 2 & 3, faussette amour, Chiki Chiki Boys, Aoi Blink,  Dragon EGG, Dynastic Hero, Horror story, Adventure Island, (takahashi meijin no shinboukenjima) NAI, Genji Tsushin Agedama, Gekisha Boy, Jackie Chan, Jigoku Meguri, and and and and??..if you look out, there are quite a plenty of excellent platformers available on the PCE :)
You forgot the ever so awesome Dragon's Curse. :) Seriously, wouldn't it be easier just to port the Master System version of Rampage? Other than the sound (minus the FM chip of course) and lack of three player support, it was pretty close to the arcade...

CrackTiger

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/20/2013, 02:51 PM
You forgot the ever so awesome Dragon's Curse. :) Seriously, wouldn't it be easier just to port the Master System version of Rampage? Other than the sound (minus the FM chip of course) and lack of three player support, it was pretty close to the arcade...
It shouldn't be much easier to recreate or port the SMS version, as the arcade is well within the PCE limits already. The color and detail could be upgraded and the PCE probably could handle a fourth monster.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Nando

RAMPAGE AND TMNT

SORRY FOR YELLING!!!

seieienbu

I think it's a terrible shame that Street Fighter 2 was never released outside of Japan.  With the state of games in the early 90s fighters were absolutely what everyone wanted.  I honestly think that SF2 could've helped the Turbo sell some uni

I seem to recall hearing something about Midway offering Mortal Kombat to be an exclusive release on Turbo Grafx but NEC Japan turning them down due to thinking that the love of fighting games was cooling off in the states.  Was there any truth to that or was it just a mindless rumor I read somewhere?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

Games I love, might not have mass appeal:

I don't know why I love Rampart so much, but a three-player port would have been nice.

Time Soldiers (arcade, not sure how to recreate dual rotating sticks) would have been my own pleasure.  Perhaps two controllers (two thumbpads) would work—awkward as hell, but...

Classic + modernized Joust
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: seieienbu on 11/20/2013, 03:54 PMI think it's a terrible shame that Street Fighter 2 was never released outside of Japan.  With the state of games in the early 90s fighters were absolutely what everyone wanted.  I honestly think that SF2 could've helped the Turbo sell some uni

I seem to recall hearing something about Midway offering Mortal Kombat to be an exclusive release on Turbo Grafx but NEC Japan turning them down due to thinking that the love of fighting games was cooling off in the states.  Was there any truth to that or was it just a mindless rumor I read somewhere?
http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat
http://www.mksecrets.net/mk1/eng/mk-development.php

VestCunt

Quote from: seieienbu on 11/20/2013, 03:54 PMI think it's a terrible shame that Street Fighter 2 was never released outside of Japan.  With the state of games in the early 90s fighters were absolutely what everyone wanted.  I honestly think that SF2 could've helped the Turbo sell some uni
It's said that the lack of six-button controllers in the U.S. killed any hope for SFII. With TTI already scrambling to pick up NEC's pieces, the prospect of selling kids a super expensive 24-meg card, plus a $20 MultiTap, plus two $30-50 six-button controllers that only work with one game was too much. And as Zeta pointed out, it only would have given TTI an edge for a month or two until the next installment came out on the SNES.
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

ASIDE: where is the old thread where we talked about porting Rampage? I am not finding it. I thought it was in the last few months...and spenoza participated?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/20/2013, 02:51 PM

no I didn't, it's called adventure island in my list :)

I also only wanted to point out the big amount of good JnR the PCE in fact has,
while most peeps seeming not be able to see them :)         

CrackTiger

I just took a look at the arcade version of Rampage and it looks like even 5-players would be doable. Some creative modes may be necessary to make it worthwhile to play though.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Nando

Quote from: guest on 11/20/2013, 08:45 PMI just took a look at the arcade version of Rampage and it looks like even 5-players would be doable. Some creative modes may be necessary to make it worthwhile to play though.
Do tell more....

turboswimbz

do you already own shubibinman . . .
I was talking about on the TG-16. I quite agree the PCE had some damn good ones.  Just seems like the RPG's and Platformers were left in Japan.  I know a lot that probably had to with translation/regionalization but still the turbografx library of platformers is pitiful when compared to what was available on nintendont and segabrown.  Also I only have about half of those so far tats, I need to up my obey level.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

bob

We are leaving out Impossimole from the must-have USA platformers. (And Addams Family)
As for DEEP STORY DRIVEN RPG's...dont sleep on Final Lap Twin.

CrackTiger

Quote from: turboswimbz on 11/21/2013, 11:15 AM
do you already own shubibinman . . .
I was talking about on the TG-16. I quite agree the PCE had some damn good ones.  Just seems like the RPG's and Platformers were left in Japan.  I know a lot that probably had to with translation/regionalization but still the turbografx library of platformers is pitiful when compared to what was available on nintendont and segabrown.  Also I only have about half of those so far tats, I need to up my obey level.
The TG-16 is lacking in quantity for all genres if you're going to compare it to Genesis and SNES. The Genesis likely has even more shooters.

PunkCryborg

More Irem ports would have been so freaking awesome. Whenever I play Metal Storm on NES I wish it was actually playing on my PCE

Nando

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 11/21/2013, 12:33 PMMore Irem ports would have been so freaking awesome. Whenever I play Metal Storm on NES I wish it was actually playing on my PCE
THIS!!!

Metal Storm and Holy Diver!!!

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 11/21/2013, 12:28 PM
The TG-16 is lacking in quantity for all genres if you're going to compare it to Genesis and SNES. The Genesis likely has even more shooters.[/quote]
Good point,  That is a very valid argument and probably as one of the many points we can cite as why the TG-16 never gained too much popularity.  Regardless if there is any type of titles I'd like to see more of it is platformers/scide scrolling beat em ups, perhaps out of nostalgia.   I think games in that realm could have been really cool to play on the Turbo/PCE.  Maybe battletoads or lost vikings type games.  But at least the PCE does have plenty of platformers to enjoy anyhoo.

I also agree that more IREM ports would be sweet.

Sadler

4 player TMNT arcade tops my list. I can't imagine much more awesome than that.  :D

spenoza

I think sprite limits would have nixed 4-player TMNT pretty handily. 2P, though, I think is certainly reasonable. Hell, if the NES can juggle it, the PCE can.

As for Rampage, there was a thread on another forum mentioning it, and I remembered all the fun I had playing it on my Apple II. Even with the slow animation and screen update it was still a blast. So many different hazards and such. Great fun.

ParanoiaDragon

NES Trojan with arcade gfx
NES Contra with arcade gfx
NES TMNT with arcade gfx
NES Strider with arcade gfx
NES Section Z with arcade gfx
NES Jackal with arcade gfx
NES Legendary Wings with arcade gfx
NES Super Contra with arcade gfx
Snow Bros.
NES Tecmo Bowl with arcade gfx
arcade Ninja Gaiden
...that's all I can think of at the moment.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Paranoia, you could have just said "Capcom and Konami support in USA"

lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

Heh, true dat!  I just like the NES renditions they did, changing/improving the arcade version minus the gfx.
IMG

Nando

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 11/22/2013, 01:11 AMNES Trojan with arcade gfx
I played this in the arcades when I was younger and for the life of me I couldn't remember it's name. I had no idea there was an NES version. Score ME! ;)

There was another game with an eight way stick that had you in a car for stages and you could get out of the car and kill baddies. Vague as fuck right?

ParanoiaDragon

The NES Trojan rocks!  It's tough(for me anyways) but thankfully there's a continue cheat.  I think the arcade gfx could easily be ported to the Turbo.
IMG

technozombie

My cousins had Trojan on the NES, but it was hard as hell. I always liked the look of it though and the box art is pretty good.

spenoza

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/22/2013, 12:40 PMParanoia, you could have just said "Capcom and Konami support in USA"

lol
Or even Konami support in the US and Capcom support (at all). Capcom didn't do a damn thing for the console save letting NEC and others license the titles. Hell, even Sega was willing to do that much (early on) and they were a direct competitor.

wyndcrosser

IMG

Definitely this, it would have looked and played better than the NES version.

bob