Gate of Thunder (TGCD) Vs Thunder Force III (Genesis) - which game is better?

Started by Otaking, 12/13/2013, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gate of Thunder (TGCD) Vs Thunder Force III (Genesis) which game is better?

Gate of Thunder (TGCD)
Thunder Force III (Genesis)

Otaking

These two have often been compared and I've read a few times from Sega fanboys that GOT is a poor imitation of Thunder Force III
One example here http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27591

So lets stick it to a poll and decide once and for all which game is better Gate of Thunder (TGCD) Vs Thunder Force III (Genesis)?

GOT gets my vote! this versus battle is easy for me as I'm not a big fan of Thunder Force III.
In the TF series I much preferred II and IV (Lightening Force).

Checkout the previous versus battles I've done so far:

Magical Chase Vs Cotton
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=15530.0

Super Star Soldier Vs Final Soldier
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=15568.0

Gate of Thunder Vs Winds/Lords of thunder
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=15639.0

Dracula X (PC Engine) Vs Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=15745.0

Ys Book I & II (TGCD) Vs Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=15766.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

PunkCryborg

lol no contest....
I think tfIv might have been a better comparison but got would still win

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

bob

Otaking

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/13/2013, 01:57 PMI think tfIv might have been a better comparison but got would still win
TFIV is an awesome game but still I too would have picked GOT in a versus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

VestCunt

Quote from: galam on 12/13/2013, 02:08 PMPlease cease and desist of these.
Yeah. Dear god these threads suck. And they're off-topic. Inter-console mashups belong in general chat. I'm not interested in Genesis and SNES crap. Never played Thunderforce. Never played watered-down DracX. Obey or GTFO
Topic Adjourned.

CrackTiger

Gate of Thunder.

It is supposed to have been worked on by members of Technosoft who previously worked on Thunder Force games. So you can pretty much consider it "Thunder Force Turbo" or TFV, with an improved style thanks to RED.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

RoyVegas

All is well. :)

NecroPhile

Quote from: VestCunt on 12/13/2013, 02:22 PMYeah. Dear god these threads suck.
Oh, come on.  It's not like you're surprised after reading the topic, and would you rather talk about nothing at all?

Quote from: VestCunt on 12/13/2013, 02:22 PMAnd they're off-topic. Inter-console mashups belong in general chat. I'm not interested in Genesis and SNES crap. Never played Thunderforce. Never played watered-down DracX.
But it is about the Turbob.  Putting it in Console Chat (non-NEC related consoles) would be equally half wrong.

Quote from: VestCunt on 12/13/2013, 02:22 PMObey or GTFO
Indeed.  :mrgreen:

bob

Well, wasn't GoT already used?  Thousands of combinations and to already rehash a contestant is pretty lazy.
I saw the title, didn't read anything and knew what I was going to post.
These stupid "vs" threads already clogged up the 'Bob discussion thread a few weeks ago worse than one of my very own burrito shits clogs my toilet.

Necro, you can't possibly be advocating for these.
There are plenty other threads to read, so I wouldn't say there is nothing to talk about if these super-mega-Armageddon battles weren't happening.

Roy: since they are nikes...I have to say neither.  :P

johnnykonami

My response to these is usually gonna be a boring "I like both."  I love me some Gate of Thunder though, that game deserved a sequel.  Makes me wish Red was still around.  My favorite Thunderforce game is actually Thunderforce II, which is an overhead shooter and really not all that similar to GoT.  III was a little on the "meh" side for me.

esteban

I actually like the Thunderforce series.

I am torn...I see Gate of Thunder as a piece of the Thunderforce legacy (It doesn't matter if actual ex-Technosoft staff worked on GoT... Since GoT is clearly linked to Thinderforce, IMHO).

That said, I love GoT.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: johnnykonami on 12/13/2013, 04:35 PMMy response to these is usually gonna be a boring "I like both."  I love me some Gate of Thunder though, that game deserved a sequel.  Makes me wish Red was still around.  My favorite Thunderforce game is actually Thunderforce II, which is an overhead shooter and really not all that similar to GoT.  III was a little on the "meh" side for me.
Thunderforce II becomes a horizontal shooter if you get past the first stage. :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

as much as I love TFIII, it can't hold up a candle to the in every aspect mightier GoT.

But TFIII sure is one of the best and most rad shewties from 1990, and barely had no competition on consles until GoT came out in 1992.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 12/13/2013, 08:53 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 12/13/2013, 04:35 PMMy response to these is usually gonna be a boring "I like both."  I love me some Gate of Thunder though, that game deserved a sequel.  Makes me wish Red was still around.  My favorite Thunderforce game is actually Thunderforce II, which is an overhead shooter and really not all that similar to GoT.  III was a little on the "meh" side for me.
Thunderforce II becomes a horizontal shooter if you get past the first stage. :wink:
hahaha!!

maybe he was thinking of TF1.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

ROLF!!! while reading through that retro gamer thread, my blood is almost boiling due to such an unbelievable amount of fail and facepalm moments!!

johnnykonami

Oh, you're right. :)  Still prefer it over III and I like those overhead stages.

johnnykonami

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/13/2013, 09:13 PM
hahaha!!

maybe he was thinking of TF1.
Nah, he's right, maybe it's time to go back and beat it to refresh my memory, I never did.  I just remember really liking it a lot when my cousin first got his Genesis.  (GoT on the other hand I beat dozens of times, probably the Duo pack-in game with the most replay value IMO)

TurboXray

Lol - Gate of ThunderForce:
Gate of Thunder (hack) longplay PC Engine / Turbografx

(hack was never finished. Needs title screen replacement, main ship in cinema updated, and weapon pods need to rotate)

PCEngineHell

FraGMarE

Personally, I don't mind the comparison threads.  They're mildly entertaining.  Just my $0.02

As far as GoT vs. TFIII, it's GoT hands down.  You're talking about Technosoft's second or third best shmup (behind TFIV and perhaps Hyper Duel as well) compared to what might possibly be the greatest horizontal console shmup of the 16-bit era.  The only other console-exclusive hori shmups that come close to Gate of Thunder are TFIV (very close, arguably equal in many ways), Gaiares (you either love it or hate it), and Lords/Winds of Thunder (not the same kind of shmup, but arguably better graphics and presentation).  I would also throw R-Type into the mix, but that was an arcade port, albeit a great one.

Don't get me wrong, I love TFIII.  It still stands as one of my favorite shooters of the era, but it just doesn't hold a candle to the towering and monumental Gate of Thunder.  Hudson and Red really outdid themselves (and everybody else) when they released GoT.  It was truly a landmark in 16-bit era horizontal shmups.

esteban

Quote from: TurboXray on 12/13/2013, 10:43 PMLol - Gate of ThunderForce:
Gate of Thunder (hack) longplay PC Engine / Turbografx

(hack was never finished. Needs title screen replacement, main ship in cinema updated, and weapon pods need to rotate)
Bonknuts.  :pcgs:

Tatsujin

Quote from: fragmare on 12/14/2013, 06:11 AMPersonally, I don't mind the comparison threads.  They're mildly entertaining.  Just my $0.02

As far as GoT vs. TFIII, it's GoT hands down.  You're talking about Technosoft's second or third best shmup (behind TFIV and perhaps Hyper Duel as well) compared to what might possibly be the greatest horizontal console shmup of the 16-bit era.  The only other console-exclusive hori shmups that come close to Gate of Thunder are TFIV (very close, arguably equal in many ways), Gaiares (you either love it or hate it), and Lords/Winds of Thunder (not the same kind of shmup, but arguably better graphics and presentation).  I would also throw R-Type into the mix, but that was an arcade port, albeit a great one.

Don't get me wrong, I love TFIII.  It still stands as one of my favorite shooters of the era, but it just doesn't hold a candle to the towering and monumental Gate of Thunder.  Hudson and Red really outdid themselves (and everybody else) when they released GoT.  It was truly a landmark in 16-bit era horizontal shmups.
now tell that to the guy over at retro gamer, which just DL'd it onto its wee, and hates it.

FraGMarE

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/14/2013, 07:22 AM
Quote from: fragmare on 12/14/2013, 06:11 AMPersonally, I don't mind the comparison threads.  They're mildly entertaining.  Just my $0.02

now tell that to the guy over at retro gamer, which just DL'd it onto its wee, and hates it.
Clearly, that guy is disobedient.  Corrective action is necessary.

geise

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/13/2013, 01:57 PMlol no contest....
I actually think TF III is way better than IV.  TF IV has nice eye candy but III blows it out of the water with gameplay/control.  Visually TF III and GoT share a lot in common, but I think overall GoT is also the better title.  Still not really fair since it came out about 2 years later, and is also on CD.

FraGMarE

Quote from: geise on 12/14/2013, 03:50 PM
I actually think TF III is way better than IV.  TF IV has nice eye candy but III blows it out of the water with gameplay/control.  Visually TF III and GoT share a lot in common, but I think overall GoT is also the better title.  Still not really fair since it came out about 2 years later, and is also on CD.
TFIII vs. TFIV has always been up in the air, depending on who you ask.  To me, personally, TFIV edges it out due to the music and slightly better graphics.  I also like how TFIV is more difficult than TFIII... TFIII was  jokingly easy.  As for gameplay/control... uh, they're both the same.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Technosoft recycled some of the exact same ship movement code and weapon behavior code from TFIII into TFIV.

Tatsujin

Quote from: geise on 12/14/2013, 03:50 PM
word. for me as wel TFIII is the better, and personally also best game in the TF serie. it's wonderfull, fair and smoth gameplay makes it so good. and yeah, that is what it shares the most with GoT.

IV was kinda a technically wreck, nice grafx and everything but got some slows like an escargot on diet.

TheClash603

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 12/14/2013, 05:37 AM
Ditto.
I think if these battles are to continue, they need to be structured as one of the following:

1.)  Two TG16/PCE games.  Problem with inter-console battle on a forum dedicated to a particular console, is that the home console will just win.  No real thrill is going to come out of this battle's results.

2.)  If you are going to compare two different consoles, pick a shitty TG16/PCE game and put it against a classic game on another system.  At least this way we can get some entertaining banter from people that are trying to claim Impossamole is better than Super Mario Bros. 3, simply because it is a TG16 game.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/14/2013, 10:48 PM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 12/14/2013, 05:37 AM
Ditto.
... people that are trying to claim Impossamole is better than Super Mario Bros. 3, simply because it is a TG16 game.
WTF do you mean by "trying"? SMB3 is a great game, but it comes up short in a few areas: the story sucks in SMB3. The opening cinema + tune from Impossamole literally crushes the negligible narrative of SMB3.  Now, once I sit down to play both games beyond the title screens, I'll have boatloads of evidence to further my blustering.

bob

Was looking for it. Can you link the RG thread?

Tatsujin

Quote from: galam on 12/15/2013, 11:19 AM

Was looking for it. Can you link the RG thread?

It's just in the OP :)               

bob

Quote from: galam on 12/13/2013, 04:29 PMWell, wasn't GoT already used?  Thousands of combinations and to already rehash a contestant is pretty lazy.
I saw the title, didn't read anything and knew what I was going to post.
These stupid "vs" threads already clogged up the 'Bob discussion thread a few weeks ago worse than one of my very own burrito shits clogs my toilet.

Necro, you can't possibly be advocating for these.
There are plenty other threads to read, so I wouldn't say there is nothing to talk about if these super-mega-Armageddon battles weren't happening.

Roy: since they are nikes...I have to say neither.  :P
It's just in my previous post.  :)

CrackTiger

Quote from: galam on 12/15/2013, 11:19 AMWas looking for it. Can you link the RG thread?
Here is the jenius Wi player:

Quote from: MootownGate of Thunder is hugely overated

Is it just me - it's like a crappy Thunderforce III. The sound mix is so bad that the pretty decent sounding music can hardly be heard over the sound effects. The levels are un-inspiring factory esq levels with the most blatant Thunderforce rip=off moments ever.

I downloaded this onto Wii the other day - pretty dissapointed. Plus it's well easy.

I always thought this was supposed to be super-awesome but it's pretty average I reckon. All the Tecnosoft shooters crap all over this.

And on Pc Engine I much prefer Aeroblasters.
"It's just you." = end of thread.

YANDMAN

I do love the Thunderforce games but im not a huge fan of three, The controls are too twitchy for my liking and in this comparison there is none, Gates of thunder is far better.

Tatsujin

PCEngineHell

Comparisons are not bad when they are done from an objective view point that presents both the strengths and weaknesses of said games. So far these have really been more or less attempts at picking out a later title from Nec's hardware and pitting it against a earlier/weaker product from an opposing system to try to make the other system look inferior. The bias is full on and it makes for an uninformative read. I mean seriously, if you want to bastardize comparisons like that then someone can always fire back with Splatterhouse 2 or 3 Genesis even versus Splatterhouse 1 TG16, Grindstormer Genesis versus Kyukyoku Tiger PCE, or hell, even Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius Super Famicom versus Ordyne TG16. Get what I'm saying?

Obfuscate

Both are great games! I'll take GoT by a little since it has better graphics and sound.

I've never played TF4 but recently picked up a copy; going to get into it soon.

termis

I am on record saying that GoT is like "TF3 Lite" - I think my stance has softened a bit since then (TF3 Lite was a bit rude  :D), but nevertheless, I don't rate GoT is amongst the likes of, say... Spriggan, LoT, or TF4...

It's a bit too easy, the weapons aren't that inspiring, and the atmosphere is a bit ho-hum IMO - there's non of that blitzing speed-rush I get when I play some the shooters above, nor do I marvel at the enemy designs like I do in LoT.

I think it's a good game, no doubt, but it just doesn't do it for me like it seems to for a lot of folks.

NecroPhile

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 12/16/2013, 07:25 AMSo far these have really been more or less attempts at picking out a later title from Nec's hardware and pitting it against a earlier/weaker product from an opposing system to try to make the other system look inferior. The bias is full on and it makes for an uninformative read.
Untrue, at least with Otaku's comparisons.   This is the only one where you can legitimately make this claim, yet even here it's because the comparison was made elsewhere in favor of TF III.  Of the other five, three were between two Turbob titles, the Ys vs. Zelda one pitted a newer game against an older Turbob (much older considering it was a port), and the Castlevania one was comparing Rondo to what is widely considered it's strongest competition of the other three 16 bit Castlevania games (omitting the x68k game for obvious reasons).  Who'd complain that it's unfair to compare Dracula XX with Rondo, Mega Bomberman with Bomberman '94, or one of the Super Bonks with a Turbob Bonk just because they came out later?

majors

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/14/2013, 10:48 PM... simply because it is a TG16 game.
I got no problem with fanatical love of Turbo, I preach it to everyone. Falcon is better than Chronotrigger b/c it's on Turbo...fuck the logic and reason, there is only obey!

BUT, with this versus thread...I gotta go with TF3 due to nostalgia factor (and rose-tinted lenses). It's close though.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

RoyVegas

Quote from: galam on 12/13/2013, 04:29 PMRoy: since they are nikes...I have to say neither.  :P
I'd have to agree however when I saw them in the store all sparkly and new for $20, I jumped on it.  :lol:
All is well. :)

A Black Falcon

Yeah, this would be pretty hard if it was Lightening Force vs. Gate of Thunder, but Thunder Force III?  Gate of Thunder wins for sure.

Tatsujin

A Black Falcon

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/16/2013, 07:43 PM
Quote from: A Black Falcon on 12/16/2013, 04:32 PMYeah, this would be pretty hard if it was Lightening Force vs. Gate of Thunder,
No
Lightening Force is my favorite shmup on the Genesis, and is a very, very good game.

Tatsujin

Quote from: A Black Falcon on 12/16/2013, 10:50 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/16/2013, 07:43 PM
Quote from: A Black Falcon on 12/16/2013, 04:32 PMYeah, this would be pretty hard if it was Lightening Force vs. Gate of Thunder,
No
Lightening Force is my favorite shmup on the Genesis, and is a very, very good game.
that's nice.