@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Sony Derailed Progression of Game Control

Started by TheClash603, 12/18/2013, 01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheClash603

When I was reading the "Sega Saturn Worth It?" thread, I couldn't stop thinking about how good the controller for the Sega Saturn was.  Of course the d-pad was great and the pad was comfortable overall, but one of the keys to the pad was its six face buttons.

As I played Killer Instinct Classic on my Xbone tonight, I couldn't help to get annoyed with the trigger buttons, which do not work very well in this or any fighting game.

Thinking back to the PSX, Saturn, N64 era, there was only one controller with 4 face buttons.  Sure the N64 face consisted of 2 good buttons and 4 shitty yellow direction buttons, but the truth is there was 6 buttons.  Unfortunately for gamers and the future of gaming, Sony won the generation's battle, and 4 face buttons ruled going forward.  Even Sega itself emulated the 4 face buttons in its next system, presumably to make something approachable for the Sony fan base it so desperately wanted to win back.

It is kind of interesting the Microsoft tried to bring back the 6 face buttons with a half-ass attempt with the "white" and "black" buttons on the original XBox, but the controller was so uncomfortable and crappy that I think this put the final nail in the 6 face button coffin.

The PS4 or Xbone contollers could very easily put 2 more buttons on the face, retain all of the comfort of the controllers, and maintain the same trigger/dual analog stick design.

...perhaps this was a rant, but in summation, Sony ruined gaming controls forever when they took away two of my face buttons.  For this, I will never forgive them!

SuperDeadite

What about the GameCube's big giant red button.  Push here to win!!!
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

NecroPhile

Blame the lesser popularity of vs. fighters.  Six face buttons aren't all that useful in CoD, GTA, etc., so why tailor a controller to one smallish genre?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 12/18/2013, 09:32 AMBlame the lesser popularity of vs. fighters.  Six face buttons aren't all that useful in CoD, GTA, etc., so why tailor a controller to one smallish genre?
I think this is half true.  For example, in Killzone for PS4 there are several actions which require swiping the touch pad in certain directions.  This is obviously a real stretch, which would be much more effective with buttons.

CoD has worked with 4 face buttons, but I can't imagine that two additional buttons wouldn't find a way to be useful.  These games already require about 100 different inputs which require some real inventiveness with the controllers.

rtyper

As games moved towards 3d the buttons became redundant while the analogue 'stick' and 'triggers' evolved. Hated the GameCube controller, too small, especially the 'cross-hair'.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/18/2013, 01:33 AMWhen I was reading the "Sega Saturn Worth It?" thread, I couldn't stop thinking about how good the controller for the Sega Saturn was.  Of course the d-pad was great and the pad was comfortable overall, but one of the keys to the pad was its six face buttons.

As I played Killer Instinct Classic on my Xbone tonight, I couldn't help to get annoyed with the trigger buttons, which do not work very well in this or any fighting game.

Thinking back to the PSX, Saturn, N64 era, there was only one controller with 4 face buttons.  Sure the N64 face consisted of 2 good buttons and 4 shitty yellow direction buttons, but the truth is there was 6 buttons.  Unfortunately for gamers and the future of gaming, Sony won the generation's battle, and 4 face buttons ruled going forward.  Even Sega itself emulated the 4 face buttons in its next system, presumably to make something approachable for the Sony fan base it so desperately wanted to win back.

It is kind of interesting the Microsoft tried to bring back the 6 face buttons with a half-ass attempt with the "white" and "black" buttons on the original XBox, but the controller was so uncomfortable and crappy that I think this put the final nail in the 6 face button coffin.

The PS4 or Xbone contollers could very easily put 2 more buttons on the face, retain all of the comfort of the controllers, and maintain the same trigger/dual analog stick design.

...perhaps this was a rant, but in summation, Sony ruined gaming controls forever when they took away two of my face buttons.  For this, I will never forgive them!
When my buddy first got SNES Street Fighter 2, this drove me insane coming off of playing the arcade game. The Genesis 6-button pad was a god-send even if the version of the game is considered inferior (though I actually prefer the Genny versions to the SNES versions).

I picked up a CPS Soldier pad back in the day for the SNES when EB Games was importing them for some odd reason. It solved the 6 face buttons issue for the SNES but had that damn weird curvature of the pad.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 12/18/2013, 07:17 AMWhat about the GameCube's big giant red button.  Push here to win!!!
The big button is green.

They come out with fighting controllers for systems for all the fighter-folk.    I grew up on SNES so the L/R have always been a thing to me.

IMG

Works for me.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

munchiaz

^ you picked the best one to show.  But yes since fighters are not to popular any more (so sad) they stuck with what is more popular. ps3 and 360 both had controllers with 6 face buttons for street fighter. Im sure xbone and ps4 will as well in time

BlueBMW

CoD and similar games need a mouse and keyboard.... just sayin
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

TheClash603

Quote from: BlueBMW on 12/19/2013, 05:51 PMCoD and similar games need a mouse and keyboard.... just sayin
So the 4 face buttons work for no one!

Once a 6 button pad comes out for XBone, I will be a happy man.

esteban

I use a a six-button mouse with Xbox One.

Best. Fighter. Mouse. Eva.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BlueBMW

This is what I used on the PS3....

IMG

Unfortunately, the PS4 does not support this controller so I've had to learn to use the controller....  its a hard journey.  My biggest issue is this though....  Your right analog stick is your look control...  So you use it to aim etc.  But to do things like crouch, reload etc you have to take your thumb OFF of the stick to hit the button.  With that mouse keyboard thingy I can keep moving / aiming while pushing the button for reload etc with my other hand.  Additionally I feel like my hand is more precise than my thumb.  Also, with the mouse keyboard setup you have more fingers on functions at any given time.  With a controller at least two fingers per hand are wasted wrapped around the handle.  Mouse keyboard you might waste your small finger on your right hand.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

MrFlutterPie

I agree Sony sucks.

I have never owned a single console or handheld from them nor will I ever.

TR0N

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 12:33 AMI agree Sony sucks.

Then you are missing out then  :P I never had a problem with there selection of games or there controllers.Unless you are trolling with that comment then shame on me  :oops:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

roflmao

Wow... Flutter.  You are totally missing out.  There is so much goodness between PS1 and 2 (I haven't gotten a 3 or 4 yet - maybe I'm waiting for them to become more "retro" :) )...

Arkhan Asylum

lolwat.

"Hi, I never get to play Hyperdimension Neptunia, FF7 unless I like the crap PC version, or Jumping Flash 2"
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

munchiaz

PS1 and PS2 have some amazing games. The PS1 is what got me into JRPG's so it will always have a special place in my heart

MrFlutterPie

Let me explain.

I have disliked Sony ever since their smear campaign against Nintendo in the mid 90's. I had a N64 for that generation and I got real tired of their crap and the crap that the other kids than picked up from Sony.

I also hated the PS 1 controller.  No D-pad what the hell?  No analog stick stranded?

Ever since then I have stayed away from Sony.  I simply have no desire to own or to play anything on a Sony machine.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 10:54 AMI have disliked Sony ever since their smear campaign against Nintendo in the mid 90's. I had a N64 for that generation and I got real tired of their crap and the crap that the other kids than picked up from Sony.
So, you're a biased nintendo fanboy.

QuoteI also hated the PS 1 controller.  No D-pad what the hell?  No analog stick stranded?
IMG

This beats the N64's meth induced controller layout and dodgy stick that breaks after a few Mario Party sessions.

QuoteEver since then I have stayed away from Sony.  I simply have no desire to own or to play anything on a Sony machine.
Sony does what Nintenstilldoesn't.

WingZeroKai

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/saturn_usb_adapter/index.php

I use one of these for my PS3 and PC. Haven't checked if it works on my PS4. Official Saturn pads for life. Works with every fighter on PS3 I've tried so far, except Chaos Code, I haven't really had time to check to see if it works, let alone play it.

TheClash603

Quote from: WingZeroKai on 12/20/2013, 01:39 PMhttp://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/saturn_usb_adapter/index.php

I use one of these for my PS3 and PC. Haven't checked if it works on my PS4. Official Saturn pads for life. Works with every fighter on PS3 I've tried so far, except Chaos Code, I haven't really had time to check to see if it works, let alone play it.
That is pretty awesome.  Do you know if it works on XB360 as well?  Just states PS3 in the link.

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: guest on 12/20/2013, 01:30 PM
Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 10:54 AMI have disliked Sony ever since their smear campaign against Nintendo in the mid 90's. I had a N64 for that generation and I got real tired of their crap and the crap that the other kids than picked up from Sony.
So, you're a biased nintendo fanboy.

QuoteI also hated the PS 1 controller.  No D-pad what the hell?  No analog stick stranded?
IMG

This beats the N64's meth induced controller layout and dodgy stick that breaks after a few Mario Party sessions.

QuoteEver since then I have stayed away from Sony.  I simply have no desire to own or to play anything on a Sony machine.
Sony does what Nintenstilldoesn't.
Wow you sound more butthurt then I did in 1996 lol ;)

jeffhlewis

I switched to team N64 on launch day after the Genesis/Sega CD. Then after 8 months I realized I had made a huge mistake and picked up a PS1. Honestly my second favorite system-of-the-time behind the Dreamcast.

turboswimbz

Yea yea, I said this once too.  Just get a ps1 or 2, after a little while your mind willl change.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

munchiaz

just play vanguard bandits on ps1. Game is so great

Arkhan Asylum

I'm not butthurt.  what you said just made no sense.

You said the PS1 had no D-pad.  It does.

also, all of my friends back when we were 10 got N64.   I picked Playstation and proceeded to laugh at them holding those N64 controllers like a bunch of gimps while pretending they were enjoying Goldeneye and shit.

I don't think N64 ever got a game this good:

Playstation - Jumping Flash! World 3-2

Jet Force Gemini MAYBE.   Kind of.

NecroPhile

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 10:54 AMEver since then I have stayed away from Sony.  I simply have no desire to own or to play anything on a Sony machine.
Not even Ys on the PSP?  We can't be friends.

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 12/20/2013, 05:06 PMYou said the PS1 had no D-pad.  It does.
It doesn't bother me much, but the fake-four-separate-buttons design is a pretty common complaint.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 10:54 AMLet me explain.

I have disliked Sony ever since their smear campaign against Nintendo in the mid 90's. I had a N64 for that generation and I got real tired of their crap and the crap that the other kids than picked up from Sony.
Fanboy alert, fanboy alert!!! :P You're like some chaps at the ASSEMbler forums that claim that the Saturn was the greatest console ever and spit at Sony's products at every opportunity. I suggest you give a try to some good PS1/2 games sometime, it will change your mind.

About the controller, I hate the "divided but together" design of the Sony control pad. I hate when the controller registers Up + Right when I'm only pressing the Up button... this is problematic specially on fighting games. For me it's always like that since the PS1! (not sure about PS4 pad though, never touched one)
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: guest on 12/20/2013, 05:19 PM
Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 10:54 AMEver since then I have stayed away from Sony.  I simply have no desire to own or to play anything on a Sony machine.
Not even Ys on the PSP?  We can't be friends.
But I can obey that properly ;)

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: guest on 12/20/2013, 05:06 PMI'm not butthurt.  what you said just made no sense.

You said the PS1 had no D-pad.  It does.

also, all of my friends back when we were 10 got N64.   I picked Playstation and proceeded to laugh at them holding those N64 controllers like a bunch of gimps while pretending they were enjoying Goldeneye and shit.

I don't think N64 ever got a game this good:

Playstation - Jumping Flash! World 3-2

Jet Force Gemini MAYBE.   Kind of.
I'm sorry the bad Nintendo man touched you when you were little and you are still upset. :P :lol:

In all seriousness though if you enjoy Sony products then play and enjoy Sony products.  I prefer Nintendo, Sega and NEC consoles.  The world isn't going to end if some people don't like the PlayStation nor will it end if people hate the N64. 

At the end of the day play whatever you like and have fun.  That's the name of the game :D

NecroPhile

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 06:25 PMBut I can obey that properly ;)
No you can't.  Ys 7 isn't available on anything but PSP, and Oath in Felghana (different enough to not really be the same as OBEYing Ys III) and Ark of Napishtim are Sony or Windows.  Don't tell me you think Windows is OBEY?!?!?

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: guest on 12/20/2013, 07:26 PM
Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 06:25 PMBut I can obey that properly ;)
No you can't.  Ys 7 isn't available on anything but PSP, and Oath in Felghana (different enough to not really be the same as OBEYing Ys III) and Ark of Napishtim are Sony or Windows.  Don't tell me you think Windows is OBEY?!?!?
No windows also sucks (*ducks* windows fans). :lol:

TR0N

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 10:54 AMLet me explain.

I also hated the PS 1 controller.  No D-pad what the hell?  No analog stick stranded?

Ever since then I have stayed away from Sony.  I simply have no desire to own or to play anything on a Sony machine.
Woah man sounds like you took it a little way to personal.Every company does that,any thing to make a sale in the console race.I'm sure you remember when sega&nintendo bashed each other during the 16-bit era it's business after all.

I remember i use to be bitter towards sony when i blamed them for running sega out of console race.Still in the end that was part of it still sega did it to them self.Still i got over it since in the end it's all about the games that really matter.I know been enjoying what every console that sony has released over time.I all most missed out on the psp to.Until i saw it was getting plenty of the Ys titles from falcom,which made me buy one right away.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 06:30 PMI'm sorry the bad Nintendo man touched you when you were little and you are still upset. :P :lol:

In all seriousness though if you enjoy Sony products then play and enjoy Sony products.  I prefer Nintendo, Sega and NEC consoles.  The world isn't going to end if some people don't like the PlayStation nor will it end if people hate the N64. 

At the end of the day play whatever you like and have fun.  That's the name of the game :D
I play everything, except the N64, because the controller is retarded and there are only like 5 games worth owning.   I play Mischief Makers and Jet Force Gemini once every 2 years or so and then sit and stare at the N64 and laugh at how stupid it looks. 

PS1's library jams it so hard up N64's ass.   There's no comparison.

I posted this while playing Wii U, lol. 

qweoirgjerhtnayhjkl

WingZeroKai

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/20/2013, 02:48 PM
Quote from: WingZeroKai on 12/20/2013, 01:39 PMhttp://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/saturn_usb_adapter/index.php

That is pretty awesome.  Do you know if it works on XB360 as well?  Just states PS3 in the link.
My 360 suffered a Red Ring o' Death, so I can't personally check at the moment, but I can find out for you. I'll have a buddy bring his 360 over next week.

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: guest on 12/21/2013, 01:27 AM
Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 12/20/2013, 06:30 PMI'm sorry the bad Nintendo man touched you when you were little and you are still upset. :P :lol:

I posted this while playing Wii U, lol. 
Haha nice :P

I understand a lot of people don't like the N64 and that's ok.  Although I didn't realize how much it was disliked until I joined Nintendoage :lol:

TheClash603

I own all of the Sony systems and some good times can be had with them, but I personally think Sony is the weakest gaming company out there myself.

Saturn is better than PSX.
Dreamcast is better than PS2.
X360 is better than PS3.

New gen is too early to say anything, but right now I have all 3 systems, and PS4 is the least played.

Someone else asked about the fake d-pad, and yes, it is there and seems even more separate than usual with the PS4.  Maybe it isall in my head, but the buttons seem more raised than usually, so it is hard to slide your finger around the pad, say you needed to do a half circle for some reason.

roflmao

Ark!  Jumping Flash 2 is one of my favorite games!  I'd love to see a remake with all snazzy graphics. Not a sequel, cause they'd screw it up. Just make it look better and maybe allow an option to use dual-analog sticks for movement, though I'm afraid that would somehow get screwed up as well.  Forget it, it's perfect as is. :)

roflmao

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/21/2013, 01:45 PMI own all of the Sony systems and some good times can be had with them, but I personally think Sony is the weakest gaming company out there myself.

Saturn is better than PSX.
Dreamcast is better than PS2.
X360 is better than PS3.

New gen is too early to say anything, but right now I have all 3 systems, and PS4 is the least played.

Someone else asked about the fake d-pad, and yes, it is there and seems even more separate than usual with the PS4.  Maybe it isall in my head, but the buttons seem more raised than usually, so it is hard to slide your finger around the pad, say you needed to do a half circle for some reason.
I apologize for the double post.

Saturn is not better than PSX. (At least not comparing US titles) Dragon Force (awesome) and Saturn Bomberman (great) help, but really, what else compares favorably to the PS1? (Don't say Panzer Dragoon Saga, because most people, including me, never had the chance to play it.)

Dreamcast may have more exclusive titles that are long-term more fun, PS2 has all the game compilations!  This is a tie and I currently have both set up. (I have both PS1 and Saturn set up as well, so maybe that's a moot point) If Bleemcast came through with their initial expectations that all/most PS1 games would be playable via Bleem, maybe that would have swayed my decision.  I love playing GT and MGS on the Dreamcast.

XB360 is definitely better than PS3 just because I never bothered to pick one up.  There weren't any console exclusives that convinced me to pick one up.  XB360 had Mass Effect, Forza Motorsport, and all those lovely shooters (and a ton of great indy xblive games, such as Insanity-x!)

Yeesh, this turned into a long, ranty post.  Sorry.

Arkhan Asylum

Dreamcast was a better system until they got like, 6 years less games than PS2, lol.