RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition (English hack)

Started by cabbage, 12/21/2013, 09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabbage

Here is an English patch I have been working on: SF2CE.ips

https://pce.cabbage.cx/translation.html
sf2ce_eng.png

I know Street Fighter II is not really a game that needed translating, but I was playing it a lot recently so it seemed like a fun one to start with.

The script is just taken from various youtube videos. There are probably a few strings I missed, so if you're playing and come across a blank screen or one that just shows a number, please let me know more details (which character, the number shown if there is one, etc)

It was really a chore to get everything to fit in the limited freespace available, so unfortunately I decided to just cut out much of the credits at the end of the game to make more room... I feel just awful about it, and I'm hesitant to even post the patch for this reason... but (most of) the credits are still in-tact for one of the two ending types. (Why doesn't that make me feel any better?)

So, it's not perfect, but I'm a bit sick of working on it for the time being. I would rather move on to something new. Maybe someone else is interested in trying to restore the credits or polish up the script a bit? PM if so, but I won't hold my breath..hehe

Feedback is welcome. Enjoy!

esteban

Dude, even though I'm not the biggest fan of this genre, I still think this is a worthy project.  :pcgs:

Why not?

The compromise with the ending credits...well, hey, slap WIP or BETA on it to assuage your shame.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bernie

Arkhan Asylum

Did you at least make Ken and Ryu say homoerotic things about each other? 

I would've.

:D
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

FraGMarE

Quote from: cabbage on 12/21/2013, 09:32 AMHere is an English patch I have been working on: SF2CE.ips

I know Street Fighter II is not really a game that needed translating, but I was playing it a lot recently so it seemed like a fun one to start with.

The script is just taken from various youtube videos. There are probably a few strings I missed, so if you're playing and come across a blank screen or one that just shows a number, please let me know more details (which character, the number shown if there is one, etc)

It was really a chore to get everything to fit in the limited freespace available, so unfortunately I decided to just cut out much of the credits at the end of the game to make more room... I feel just awful about it, and I'm hesitant to even post the patch for this reason... but (most of) the credits are still in-tact for one of the two ending types. (Why doesn't that make me feel any better?)

So, it's not perfect, but I'm a bit sick of working on it for the time being. I would rather move on to something new. Maybe someone else is interested in trying to restore the credits or polish up the script a bit? PM if so, but I won't hold my breath..hehe

Feedback is welcome. Enjoy!
OMG finally somebody is doing this!  I've wanted to do this for years!  lol

Tomaitheous and I actually worked on a patch for this a few years ago, complete with updated stage graphics and other minor graphical changes.

I even changed the title screen this lol:

IMG

FraGMarE

Hmm, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I apply this patch to the version of the ROM I have, it doesn't seem to work.  The music gets a little screwed up and there are some graphical artifacts here and there, but that's it.  :/

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

FraGMarE

Quote from: guest on 12/21/2013, 03:58 PMI want that fighting street II' patch...
Sadly, we never finished it.  :/

PukeSter

Quote from: fragmare on 12/21/2013, 04:05 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 12/21/2013, 03:58 PMI want that fighting street II' patch...
What kind of graphical upgrades were there? Finally parallax in the backgrounds? More frames?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: fragmare on 12/21/2013, 03:20 PMHmm, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I apply this patch to the version of the ROM I have, it doesn't seem to work.  The music gets a little screwed up and there are some graphical artifacts here and there, but that's it.  :/
You might have to use the one with the header, or the one without the header!   That crap matters half the time.

Just try it on ALL THE ROMS TIL IT WORKS YEAHHHHH
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

FraGMarE

Quote from: guest on 12/21/2013, 05:21 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/21/2013, 03:58 PMI want that fighting street II' patch...
What kind of graphical upgrades were there? Finally parallax in the backgrounds? More frames?
Just better looking backgrounds.  You couldn't really do parallax unless you made it an SGX game.  You wouldn't be able to add more sprite frames unless you upped the size of the HuCard to 24Mbit either.  A couple extra bg animation frames here and there would not be out of the question, though, depending on the amount of free space in the ROM.

Here are a couple comparison shots of the work i did on it.  Original on the left, updated on the right.

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

PukeSter

Fragmare, that is extremely impressive. O_O

Please finish the patch, I would play it.

esteban

Quote from: fragmare on 12/21/2013, 09:02 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/21/2013, 05:21 PM
Just better looking backgrounds.  You couldn't really do parallax unless you made it an SGX game.  You wouldn't be able to add more sprite frames unless you upped the size of the HuCard to 24Mbit either.  A couple extra bg animation frames here and there would not be out of the question, though, depending on the amount of free space in the ROM.

Here are a couple comparison shots of the work i did on it.  Original on the left, updated on the right.

/sf2ryu_back01.gif
/sf2guile_back01.gif

/sf2blanka_back01.gif
/sf2mbison_back01.gif
GODDAMN. That is certainly an improvement.

Quite impressive  :pcgs:

cabbage

Ah, I forgot to mention the patch requires a ROM with no header. I just tested it on both "Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition (J).pce" and "Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition (J) [a1].pce" -- it indeed destroys the music if a header is present(!) but seems OK after removal.

Someone please let me know if you can get it to work!! This is my first time making a patch so I wouldn't be surprised if I fucked something up.

OT but since the thread already wandered, anyone know what that "Avenging Angels" hack is?

Joe Redifer

That is nice Fragmare. But in the arcade I recall the snake around Blanka's tree being green, I have never seen a green snake in any of the home versions. I could live without the Fighting Street 2 title screen, though. I always thought that name was just stupid. I vote that the patch should be completed. Maybe that's why Tom was asking about Everdrive features on Kriksz's forum recently.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/22/2013, 12:24 AMThat is nice Fragmare. But in the arcade I recall the snake around Blanka's tree being green, I have never seen a green snake in any of the home versions. I could live without the Fighting Street 2 title screen, though. I always thought that name was just stupid. I vote that the patch should be completed. Maybe that's why Tom was asking about Everdrive features on Kriksz's forum recently.
YOU CRAZY.

"Fighting Street II'" is the perfect homage to PCE/TG-16 heritage and helps make it more unique and less generic-sounding than the rest.

MotherGunner

Very very nice.  Yes please finish the patch.  Maybe one day, someone will figure out a way to add hyper/turbo or even convert to CD along with audio!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

FraGMarE

Quote from: MotherGunner on 12/22/2013, 02:17 AMVery very nice.  Yes please finish the patch.  Maybe one day, someone will figure out a way to add hyper/turbo or even convert to CD along with audio!
Well, making enough room to add hyper/turbo would be easy enough.  Simply add another 4Mbit bank to the ROM image (making the total ROM size 24 Mbit or 3072 Kbyte)  CD audio would require making this an arcade card game, though.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/22/2013, 12:24 AMThat is nice Fragmare. But in the arcade I recall the snake around Blanka's tree being green, I have never seen a green snake in any of the home versions. I could live without the Fighting Street 2 title screen, though. I always thought that name was just stupid. I vote that the patch should be completed. Maybe that's why Tom was asking about Everdrive features on Kriksz's forum recently.
IIRC, the 'Fighting Street II' title screen would have been a toggle in the options menu.  Not mandatory.  I just always thought it would have been hilarious if they brought the game out in the US and renamed it, yet again, to Fighting Street.  :P

And the arcade Champion Edition Blanka stage snake was, indeed, red.  I just double checked.  ;)

I would *love* for this patch to be completed.  However, the work I can do is pretty much done.  I also have the missing bonus stage graphics made up, as well as a new high score screen and the arcade intro where the white guy knocks out the black guy (see below).  But I'm a pixel artist, and don't know much in the way of ROM hacking or code.  Maybe someone is willing to step up and complete this???  Maybe... any takers?

IMG

IMG

IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: fragmare on 12/22/2013, 05:51 AMWell, making enough room to add hyper/turbo would be easy enough.  Simply add another 4Mbit bank to the ROM image (making the total ROM size 24 Mbit or 3072 Mbyte)  CD audio would require making this an arcade card game, though
Too bad it's not as simple to do the work to add in hyper/turbo fighting. :(

also, its like 630AM so I might be going full retard here, but isn't 24Mb = 3MB... not 3072MB.

seieienbu

...I'm just saying, with the new 3Gb memory mapper you'd easily have enough space for new backgrounds.  Green snake, red snake, just include both.

Also, I honestly can't remember how many win quotes Champion Edition has, whether it has personalized winquotes per matchup, etc.  However, you might find this list of SNES win quotes from World Warrior useful:

Ryu's Win Quote
You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance!
You did quite well, but you need more training to defeat me!

E. Honda's Win Quote
It's natural for a sumo wrestler to become the world's strongest!
Can't you do better than that?

Blanka's Win Quote
Seeing you in action is a joke!
Now you realize the powers I possess!

Guile's Win Quote
Are you man enough to fight with me?
Go home and be a family man!

Ken's Win Quote
Get up!! It's too early for you to be defeated!
Attack me if you dare, I will crush you!

Chun Li's Win Quote
There is no chance for you to beat me! Challenge someone else!
I'm the strongest woman in the world!

Zangief's Win Quote
My strength is much greater than yours!
Next time we meet, I'm gonna break your arms!

Dhalsim's Win Quote
Now you've realized the inner mysteries of yoga!
I will meditate and then destroy you!!

Balrog's Win Quote
Get up you wimp!
Hey, What happened? I'm not through with you yet!

Vega's Win Quote
Handsome fighters never lose a battle!
Thank you for a gorgeous time!

Sagat's Win Quote
You are not a warrior, you're a beginner!
I am not satisfied until I have the world's strongest title again!

M. Bison's Win Quote
Get lost, you can't compare with my powers!
Anyone who opposes me will be destroyed!

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/36216/ssf2t-win-quotes
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

FraGMarE

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2013, 06:36 AM
Quote from: fragmare on 12/22/2013, 05:51 AMWell, making enough room to add hyper/turbo would be easy enough.  Simply add another 4Mbit bank to the ROM image (making the total ROM size 24 Mbit or 3072 Mbyte)  CD audio would require making this an arcade card game, though
Too bad it's not as simple to do the work to add in hyper/turbo fighting. :(

also, its like 630AM so I might be going full retard here, but isn't 24Mb = 3MB... not 3072MB.
Yea, if i knew shit about ROM hacking and/or HuC6280 ASM, i'd attempt.  but alas, i dont.

Ah, yea... i meant Kbyte.  oops

TurboXray

Get out of my head~! ;>_> Haha. But that's not the only reason for it.

cabbage: Nice! You got the hacking bug for PCE then?

Fragmare: I did inserted Ryu's stage for a test, but only mednafen supports SF2's full mapper range (up to 8.5megabytes). I was hoping the TurboEverdrive card I ordered, would support at least more than the 2.5megabytes that the original support (still waiting for it to arrive). There's really no room left in the rom for the new images. Well, not without hacking the shit out of it and replacing the current compression scheme to a LZSS+ circular buffer one (and finding at least 512 free bytes to support that).

Edit: Something just dawned on me; you could make a special hucard version that used the CD system. I.e. the Turbo Everdrive card, when plugged into the CD unit system, can use the on board 64k of CD ram. That's not disabled (obviously). I couldn't do this a few years back, because the Tototek flash card had some sort of weird bus conflict issues with the upper 1megabyte address range, when using the SuperCDROM^2 addon (my dev setup). And that was the flash only card at the time to support it. In theory, one could use a better compression system to recompress the BG graphics and use the extra rom space for additional code. Then decompress stuffs to 64k ram (that the game would normally never touch). I like that idea. You'd have to re-arrange some stuffs in the rom, but that's what hooks are for :) You up to the challenge, cabbage?

NecroPhile

Cool stuff, you guys.  I'd gladly play an updated Fighting Street II.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!