Palette fade routine

Started by TurboXray, 01/21/2014, 06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboXray

I figured I'd post this. I've written a few in the past, but I needed something more efficient and faster. Plus, I like the fade 'in' part much better than my older method.

;....................................................................
;
FadePal:

lda <D3
    asl a
    asl a
    asl a
    sta <D4
    asl a
    asl a
    asl a
    sta <D5
    cla
    rol a
    sta <D5+1

_int_Fade0:
    clx
.loop
    lda PalBlock,x
    and #$07
    sec
    sbc <D3
    bpl .BlueOVF 
    cla
.BlueOVF 
    sta WorkBlock,x
    lda PalBlock,x
    and #$38
    sec
    sbc <D4
    bpl .RedOVF
    cla
.RedOVF
    ora WorkBlock,x
    sta WorkBlock,x
    lda PalBlock,x
    and #$c0
    sec
    sbc <D5
    tay
    lda PalBlock+1,x
    and #$01            ;needed because reading pal data from VCE leaves garbage in the top unused bits
    sbc <D5+1
    bpl .GreenOVF
    cla
    cly
.GreenOVF
    sta WorkBlock+1,x
    tya
    ora WorkBlock,x
    sta WorkBlock,x
    inx
    inx
    bne .loop

_int_Fade1:   
.loop
    lda PalBlock+256,x
    and #$07
    sec
    sbc <D3
    bpl .BlueOVF 
    cla
.BlueOVF 
    sta WorkBlock+256,x
    lda PalBlock+256,x
    and #$38
    sec
    sbc <D4
    bpl .RedOVF
    cla
.RedOVF
    ora WorkBlock+256,x
    sta WorkBlock+256,x
    lda PalBlock+256,x
    and #$c0
    sec
    sbc <D5
    tay
    lda PalBlock+256+1,x
    and #$01
    sbc <D5+1
    bpl .GreenOVF
    cla
    cly
.GreenOVF
    sta WorkBlock+256+1,x
    tya
    ora WorkBlock+256,x
    sta WorkBlock+256,x
    inx
    inx
    bne .loop

rts

;endsub

The call argument is D3, and two blocks of memory are whatever you define in local ram. D3 is a value from 00 to 07. It's modified for D4 and D5, so they can subtract those specific R/G elements without shifting them. I use two blocks of memory; both are 512 bytes long. Because I need to fade the existing BG palette, which might be made up of dynamic subpalettes at any point in time - I read all of CRAM from the VCE into "PalBlock" segment of ram. "WorkBlock" is the temporary palette buffer that the changes are saved to, to be uploaded to the VCE CRAM.

Here's the code to read CRAM into the block/array(local ram).
;....................................................................
;
UpdateWorkPal:
    stz $402
    stz $403
    tia WorkBlock,$404,$200
  rts
;endsub

Not many docs mention that you can actually read from VCE CRAM, but you can. IIRC, though, there's no guarantee that the upper unused bits will be cleared. Normally not a problem, especially if you upload with those bits set, but when altering the color value as such as the above code - make sure you AND/mask off those bits. The above fade routine does that, so no worries.

Reading and writing to the VCE (any of the VCE regs) will stall the VCE and show distortion on active display. It's best to call the VCE CRAM read routine from vblank to avoid this. You only need to call it once; one and done (the VCE CRAM read routine).

The above routines only fade/adjust the BG 256 colors. You'd have to modify it for sprite 256 colors. If you want to fade to black or fade up from black, you'll need another routine that modifies D3 and calls the FadePal routine each time.

ccovell

And if you want smoother fading, you could always do it the way many Genesis games do... fade R+G down one level, then fade Blue afterward, then repeat...  You get 16 steps that way and it looks kinda nice too.

TurboXray

Ouuu :3 That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna try that out. Thanks for the tip :D

touko

You can also use directly a dec of 1 for B, sub of 8 for R and a sub 64 for G to avoid multiple asl ..
With that, a simple OR (G,R,B) rebuild the 9 bit color .

ccovell

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/22/2014, 12:03 AMOuuu :3 That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna try that out. Thanks for the tip :D
Strictly speaking, the way they do it is far more complex...  I just checked out Sonic and the Red gets faded out first, then Blue (but slowly), then Green (more quickly?)

Someone wanna disassemble that?

FraGMarE

Quote from: ccovell on 01/22/2014, 07:53 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/22/2014, 12:03 AMOuuu :3 That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna try that out. Thanks for the tip :D
Strictly speaking, the way they do it is far more complex...  I just checked out Sonic and the Red gets faded out first, then Blue (but slowly), then Green (more quickly?)

Interesting!  I'm going to have to experiment with various fade in/out methods now.  You've piqued my interest.  :)

TurboXray

Quote from: ccovell on 01/22/2014, 07:53 PM

I was just looking at Sonic 1 fade out, and it is quite complex. It seems to be weighted. The sky, which is almost pure blue, gets faded down to black pretty quickly - but the water which is a lighter blue, doesn't have much taken off in the Blue element. The sky was a 5, and received -5. But on the same frame, the water was 7 for Blue and only received -2 decrement. So it definitely seems weighted. I wonder if they're just converting the RGB to another color space and applying the fading, then converting back.