10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

WTS: Junk Supergrafx "Not FS any more"

Started by saturndual32, 01/28/2014, 02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturndual32

I have a non working Supergrafx and would like to sell it. I bought it from Ebay last year. The seller was offering the console with nothing else, claiming that he didnt know if it worked at all.

So i sold my white PCE, and a junk Turbo Duo, and ordered all the SGX cables and a SCDROM2.

Unfortunately, the SGX didnt work, i just opened it, and the PCB has a 3 inch crack and a smaller one both in the middle, just below the card slot. The cracks seem to be a single line each, as far as i can see, and cuts all the traces on the right side of the HuC6202 chip. The rest of the unit looks OK.

So what would be the value for one of this?. I am now looking to get a Coregrafx for my Super CDROM2.

Thanks in advance.

futureman2000

That's pretty sad... No clue what it's worth.

NecroPhile

Quote from: futureman2000 on 01/28/2014, 04:32 PMThat's pretty sad... No clue what it's worth.
+1, though I suspect it's not worth much of anything.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

pulstar

If you want to sell I might take it off your hands and try and fix it...try being the most important word in that sentence :lol:
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

lastcallhall

Do you have any pics of the damage. It might be as easy as soldering a copper wire between the breaks if they're small enough.

Lochlan

PM incoming.  I need a supergrafx case and have some PCE consoles I could trade.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

saturndual32

Still listening to offers. I will try to upload a couple pics later.
To me it looks like what lastcallhall says is doable, soldering wires to replace the traces, but they are so many and so little... i definitely dont have the skill to do so, and electronics workshops around here are so annoying, they have never been able to help me out when it comes to classic consoles.

thesteve

I'm sure I have the skill, but could be quite the job 2

saturndual32

Here are the pics:
https://imageshack.com/i/n1dqt8j
https://imageshack.com/i/nap0dej
https://imageshack.com/i/4jm2wfj
How much would you charge for such a job, thesteve?. It blows my mind to even think about doing it myself, i suck with the soldering iron...

sirhcman

please someone fix this sgx for this man!

im no expert but looking at the pics it seems as though you should be able to solder in jumper wires for all those busted traces. i'd wait for a real expert like thesteve to chime in first tho :)

BlueBMW

Looks tedious but repairable.  Let me know if you want me to give it a shot saturndual.  No charge, just want to see if it can be done!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

saturndual32

BlueBMW, as nice as always. Thanks for the offer, i will send a PM later.

PCEngineHell

If that is the only damage to the unit then it is doable. It will be about a 26 wire job. Some can be sent directly from the 6202 to the 6260. Others can be sent directly from the 6202 to the other side of the traces past the cut. Gut feeling though that this may end up not being the only issue with the system. Cross those fingers.

saturndual32

Well, its not for sale anymore, BlueBMW is gonna help me with it. We will see if its fixable.
Thanks for the replies guys.

sirhcman

beemer is the man! =D&gt; please keep us updated on the repair process and if you get everything working blue!  :)

BlueBMW

Will do!  Looks like a fun challenge and I hate to see hardware wasted.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

sirhcman

BlueBMW

Its coming from Mexico so it might be a while before it arrives.

GohanX

Also, all repairs are postponed while the doctor plays in the snow.

BlueBMW

And just like that almost all the snow has melted :(

BlueBMW

BlueBMW

Some progress.... there are a TON of broken traces.... This will be a miracle if it works....

/sgx2_zps578ce386.jpg

sirhcman

Oh wow it's going to be the Darth Vader SuperGrafx!! Good luck Beemer, it looks like a lot of work!

BlueBMW

Well I completed jumping all the traces I could find that were broken....  Powered it up but just got a blank white screen.  So now its time to start testing each and every little trace again....

sirhcman

Quote from: BlueBMW on 02/17/2014, 12:02 AMWell I completed jumping all the traces I could find that were broken....  Powered it up but just got a blank white screen.  So now its time to start testing each and every little trace again....
oof! how many jumpers do you end up doing?

BlueBMW

pulstar

Wow! Hope you get it working after all that work.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

sirhcman

i hope saturn appreciates all the time you are putting into this blue, so tedious and time consuming for sure!

BlueBMW

Its a fun challenge.  It'll all be worth it the first time some game boots up!  I went into it knowing there was maybe a 10% chance of success though.

SuperPlay

Some mean soldering there :-)

Makes me realise that I need to get some soldering practice in as it took me a while last night to solder a  D-Sub connector lol

Hope that you get this sucker to work after all the effort

saturndual32

Quote from: BlueBMW on 02/16/2014, 09:58 PMSome progress.... there are a TON of broken traces.... This will be a miracle if it works....
/sgx2_zps578ce386.jpg
Damn that image blows my mind, i cant even imagine how dificult it must be to solder all those cables. Crap, 60 traces and it still doesnt work?
I dont have anything but praise for the BlueBMW, hes one of the nicest guys around. Thanks fo the effort Blue.

BlueBMW

Hopefully I can put some more time into it this weekend.  Right now its basically behaving the way a system does when either a region mod isnt connected right or a hucard is making bad contact.  I'm going to focus on the data lines to the hucard slot and see what I come up with.

Some more pron:

/sgx3_zps60eccb05.jpg

roflmao

Mathius

Damn! Wonder what kind of trauma that poor PGX went through to cause the PCB to crack like that?

Dicer

I can't wait to see this back from the dead...go go go

sirhcman

I'd like to know who would abuse such a great machine!  :evil:

BlueBMW

It looks like it took an impact on the bottom middle of the shell.  The plastic stand that holds up the mainboard looks to have pressed the board too hard and cracked it.

Mathius

Quote from: BlueBMW on 02/20/2014, 05:54 PMIt looks like it took an impact on the bottom middle of the shell.  The plastic stand that holds up the mainboard looks to have pressed the board too hard and cracked it.
I don't see a fall causing what you describe. I could be wrong. Maybe it was crushed.

saturndual32

The SGX was the third system i have bought from Ebay, with a disclaimer saying something like: "Untested, i lost all the conections and cant test the unit, but it worked last time i had them".

The other 2 systems i bought like that worked fine, but my luck ran out with this SGX. The others were a SMS 2 PAL, and an Atari 7800, needless to say, the one i really would have liked to work was the awesome SGX  ](*,) !

Although maybe the damage was done while going through shipping. I have received a broken SFC and a FM TOWNS 2 with a cracked CD door ( :cry:), a Sega Saturn with an out of place cd drive, that were in perfect condition judging by the pics i got before buying them. So, who knows...

But hey, if someone can resurrect it, it is BlueBMW  [-o&lt; !

BlueBMW

Quote from: Mathius on 02/20/2014, 07:46 PMI don't see a fall causing what you describe. I could be wrong. Maybe it was crushed.
Yeah I'd say it was crushed by something.  Though the outer shell doesnt show the evidence of that...

pceslayer

I have a SuperGrafx with the exact same damage. Kind of odd that the shell is in perfect condition with this much damage to the mobo. I wonder if its common on these systems... :-k

I bough mine from Dalder a few years back and was in the process of doing the same repair except I got distracted and its been sitting on my workbench. Not trying to Hijack the thread...

IMG
IMG
IMG

I will be following this with great interest!

saturndual32

Its like some evildoer is smashing SGXs boards!

BlueBMW

i think its a design flaw with the shell... there is a plastic post that holds the center of the board there  but there doesnt seem to be anything on the other side of it.  Any good impact or pressure put on the bottom middle of the board could crack it like that.

thesteve

if you have fixed everything you see start with a logic probe cart removed
confirm pulse on all address lines
then insert cart and check data pins at each processor (D0-D7)

Vecanti

If you get this working, then a few sales/trades and 15 years from now someone is going to open this thing and be like WTF?  Or think they have a prototype or something.  :mrgreen:

Pretty amazing to watch your work!

BlueBMW

Pceslayers work quality looks a bit better than mine....

bishopcruz

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/01/2014, 08:34 AMPceslayers work quality looks a bit better than mine....
Both look amazing to me, especially as someone looking to get back into soldering after having done nothing on it for about 15 years. I understand conceptually what you guys are doing, but dear god, it feels a bit like necromancy.

pceslayer

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/01/2014, 08:34 AMPceslayers work quality looks a bit better than mine....
I don't know about that... I'd have to say yours looks a bit better than mine. :/

Do you have to keep desoldering the Hu slot when finished testing? I kind of don't want to have to do that...

sirhcman

either of you guys make headway on the broken supergrafx systems?

pceslayer

I haven't had the time to mess with mine... Maybe in the next few weeks I'll get around to working on it again.

Hopefully BlueBMW has had some luck!