Hardest Shooter you've beaten?

Started by PukeSter, 01/30/2014, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

PukeSter

I've been playing Gradius III most of this week, so I felt inspired to make this topic. (Damn Stage 9  :evil:)

Le Shooter can be from any system.

I would personally have to go with Aero Blasters. Damn game took me 3 months on and off.

I've also beaten Side Arms (PCE), but that only took me two weeks.


Also talk about your favorite shooties if you wish.

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 01/30/2014, 05:45 PMI would personally have to go with Aero Blasters. Damn game took me 3 months on and off.
My god I wish I could say the same thing.  I tried forever to beat Aero Blasters to no avail.  I do love that game (ok, not all of it, screw the anti gravity levels). But all in all an amazing game and I'm totally impressed that anyone's beat it.

As for me, Raiden (Turbografx). We have a love/hate relationship.
All is well. :)

PukeSter

Quote from: RoyVegas on 01/30/2014, 05:51 PM
Quote from: PukeSter on 01/30/2014, 05:45 PMI would personally have to go with Aero Blasters. Damn game took me 3 months on and off.
My god I wish I could say the same thing.  I tried forever to beat Aero Blasters to no avail.  I do love that game (ok, not all of it, screw the anti gravity levels). But all in all an amazing game and I'm totally impressed that anyone's beat it.

As for me, Raiden (Turbografx). We have a love/hate relationship.
This has been on my want list for a long time. HuCard version, I don't want two extra, hard stages.

I used to have Kyuukyoku Tiger (very similar), but I could only ever make it to Stage 6.

Cool thing I found out: In Raiden, if you continue on the "0", you will get some power-ups!

SuperDeadite

I assume you mean Gradius III SNES right?  The proper arcade Gradius III is about 1000x harder...

As for the hardest shooter, that's a matter of opinion.  For example I can 1cc Last Resort just about any day of the week, I consider it quite easy, though seems to be considered quite difficult by internet standards.

I have 1cc'd the original Rayxanber, and that game is one mean bitch though.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

OldRover

Toughest shooter I've beaten is PCE Tatsujin, on my quest to conquer the 12 challenges of The Measure Of A Turbo Badass.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Xak

(i plan to start shooters this year

i always sucked as shooters, you gotta be on coca tonic to not get killed
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

esteban

I don't know why it took me so long, but Raiden was more difficult for me than Rayxanber II & III, Gradius II (tough), Image Fight, L-Dis, etc. etc.

I still get my ass whooped in Tatsujin...and I never played Gradius III arcade.

I HAVE BEATEN AEROBLASTERS (I love the game, but it can be cruel in an instant)....but, to be honest, I had a more difficult time beating Raiden.

I have beaten tons of shootemups on various platforms...but there was something for NeoGeo that I never got far in.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PukeSter

#7
Haha! Just beat the son of a bitch Gradius III! SNES of course.

Didn't die until mechanical spider. Beat game using only one continue.

https://lh4.ggpht.com/UtyqhC3kOKi0JW-BZ_b_yfFx3JbGFN5mPMcMUgLUOBiJf7q4ZW54zBTEFN9IZS5yYbC3AEg=s114

(Screen was starting to fade...)


Esteban, I will need to get Gradius II. I played it years ago on Wii, and farthest I got was stage 3 boss.

Gradius games I have beaten so far

Gradius (PCE)
Salamander (PCE)
Parodius (PCE)
Gradius III (SNES)

Well, if I could beat that boss in Gradius III, maybe I could beat him there too. :)

CrackTiger

Shooters don't really feel hard to me, just cheap, unorthodox or require concentration.

If I haven't played Thunderforce IV in a long time, I can still breeze through most of it, but there are a few cheap spots which you have to experience to know how to avoid.

Ai Cho Aniki is very easy, but can be difficult to control if you jump in without reading the manual. Traditional shooters feel natural to me and are kind of like you learn one, you learn them all. Non-cheap games which don't play the way most do are more challenging or require more concentration from me.

By concentration, I mean there are two types of shooters: the ones I can play while half asleep and out of practice or not really paying attention (like zoning out while driving a car)... and the ones where I have to consciously concentrate. Of those, the games most people say are impossible don't usually seem that different from others which simply require me to try.


Aeroblasters isn't that hard of a game. I finished it in one evening as a rental bitd and asked for it for X-Mas. It will always be what I think of as a normal balanced shooter. It just feel perfect to me. The final stage can be tricky and is a bit cheap, because you have to learn the layout to consistently zip through it. The fourth stage boss can also take you out before you figure out how he plays. But otherwise it's simply a matter of remaining focused.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

yoyo

Really hard to say honestly. I haven't beaten a whole lot of shooters and what I have beaten seems pretty easy and what I think would be hard are mostly popular games and easier for most, but to me, although I haven't beaten it, I have always had a pretty tough time on Life Force for NES, I really don't know why, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard but, for me, it really is. I'm hoping I can best it someday.
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: yoyo on 01/31/2014, 07:43 AMalthough I haven't beaten it, I have always had a pretty tough time on Life Force for NES, I really don't know why, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard but, for me, it really is. I'm hoping I can best it someday.
Salamander on PCE is relatively easy. Might want to try that instead. Also has an expert mode I need to try.

6 continues, low extends, and power-ups are given out like candy.

Still awesome though, but yeah, some levels are different too.

If you die on stage 5 though, you're screwed. :'(

chany60126

I have only beaten a small handful of shooters, but I do really enjoy the genre. The hardest game I have beaten thus far is Blazing Lazers which I beat using one credit.

geise

I almost put Rayxanber II, but then remembered I cleared Image Fight on pc-e.

Nazi NecroPhile

I'm a shewty wuss, so it's probably Gate of Thunder or Soldier Blade.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

yoyo

Quote from: guest on 01/31/2014, 08:49 AM
Quote from: yoyo on 01/31/2014, 07:43 AMalthough I haven't beaten it, I have always had a pretty tough time on Life Force for NES, I really don't know why, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard but, for me, it really is. I'm hoping I can best it someday.
Salamander on PCE is relatively easy. Might want to try that instead. Also has an expert mode I need to try.
I've actually played that and I really liked it, I plan to pick it up when I get my PCE Duo. Very good game, I've also played the arcade version, as well as the sequel. You're right though, the PCE version is easier, powerups are far easier to get and you get pimped out in no time at all.
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
IMG

turboswimbz

Deep Blue.

Don't ask. I was Young and bored.

It took a month of trying ever day, at the time it was the only shooter I had.

although It's not much of a shewty, more of a hide and don't get hit adventure.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!