help! sourcing a really odd turbo cdrom part

Started by max 330 mega, 02/05/2014, 04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

max 330 mega

so chop5 is trying to repair my turbo cd currently, and the issue has been determined to be the one and only part he knows not where to acquire (just my luck!) if anyone knows  of a suitable replacement or has a spare one of these please let me know! here is a link to chop's pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/IMG_20140204_212517_zps0bf53b80.jpg
the part is the end switch stop to the worm gear laser assembly i believe?
any help much appreciated!
Blast away and go go go!!!

ToyMachine78

You can't get it out of a donor junk drive? Not the cheapest option, but its what I had to do. Of course I had to replace the entire main board. (Or KC did anyway :wink: )

pulstar

If you can't find a part number the above is probably going to be your only option, unless somebody else knows the part number or an equivalent.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

max 330 mega

well i guess at this point, im looking for a broken unit for such purposes if anyone has one they dont mind selling

Keith Courage

I haven't found a replacement for that either other than getting another donor broken CD drive. However, I have had some luck epoxying it back together and in some cases even have epoxied other plastic to it if the broken pieces are missing. Those break when CD drives either are not packaged well or the shipping company decides to punt the box a few times.

wolfman

Just a guess...but what about 3D scan of a working piece from someone else and print it? Its not so much under stress that it couldn´t work I´d say. I am sure there will be a future demand for it...
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
-------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

max 330 mega

you know, 3D printing actually ran across my mind earlier today, just no idea how to go about that whole project. not sure if i have the time, but man that would be a pretty cool gift to the community if i could set up a production of them!

wolfman

Quote from: max 330 mega on 02/06/2014, 02:15 AMyou know, 3D printing actually ran across my mind earlier today, just no idea how to go about that whole project. not sure if i have the time, but man that would be a pretty cool gift to the community if i could set up a production of them!
Yes, I think we could do that for some other parts too, since sooner or later everybody will be affected.

You get pretty good prices now from workshops over the internet. It isn´t that expensive anymore, since a lot architectures are using them to create their models.
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

ToyMachine78

Get the middle gear printed while you are at it!