OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Price check Commodore 64 PAL

Started by saturndual32, 02/12/2014, 09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturndual32

Hi, i am thinking about selling my american C64, and buying an european one, but have no idea what they are worth. If anyone here has a PAL one for sale, please shoot me a message. It will take some time for me to sell the american one, in order to pay, though.
Thanks!

Tatsujin

it very depends. on a flea market probably $5, but on ebay may be 10 times of that. also depends if its the bare "breadbox" or uncluding everything.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

saturndual32

Quote from: guest on 02/12/2014, 11:00 PMHi!

I trade?

3 (three) Keith courage loose and one mister head of potato.
Haha, sounds like a great deal to me, but right now i dont have any of that, darn it!

wildfruit

Hi i have one but i think because it is so bulky the cost of shipping would be astronomical

saturndual32

Quote from: wildfruit on 02/13/2014, 12:09 AMHi i have one but i think because it is so bulky the cost of shipping would be astronomical
Hi wildfruit, yeah the cost of shipping from the UK would be pretty expensive. Just in case, how much would you ask for the unit?

Tatsujin

hehe..to get a PAL one, it's almost unavoidable of importing it from somewhere in Europe.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

wildfruit

I wouldn't want much for it as its a dust collector. I haven't had a chance to weigh it but i think the post woul be prohibitive for example 10 kilo package to us,can is £104 (170usd) 😌

saturndual32

Quote from: wildfruit on 02/13/2014, 07:20 AMI wouldn't want much for it as its a dust collector. I haven't had a chance to weigh it but i think the post woul be prohibitive for example 10 kilo package to us,can is £104 (170usd) 😌
:shock:!
That puts it totally out of my league, hehe.
Thanks anyway wildfruit.

Arkhan Asylum

why would you want a PAL C64? lol.   
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

I assume he would like to play the european games, which are most of em, in real speed.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/13/2014, 09:14 AMI assume he would like to play the european games, which are most of em, in real speed.
Most of those games blow.

Some of them work fine on a NTSC one, anyway.

I don't think it's worth it.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 02/13/2014, 10:13 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/13/2014, 09:14 AMI assume he would like to play the european games, which are most of em, in real speed.
I don't think it's worth it.
I didn't say it is, just assumed what he's reaching for.. though it's mostly worth for the sid tunez solely, but there are much better and more comfortable ways to enjoy sids these days than on an ol' C64..hehe.

wildfruit

Well if you ever take a tourist trip to London drop me a line its yours if i don't get rid of it.

wildfruit

I cant paste a link on my tapatalk but there is a German c64 on greedbay for $170 shipped from Connecticut at the moment. Bit too pricey though.

saturndual32

I wanted the PAL C64 to be able to play all the european games at their propper speeds. But, yeah, with the cost of shipping, it just doesnt seem to be worth it, hehe.

wildfruit, thanks for the offer. No trip to London on the horizon, but thanks anyway, hehe.

I think i will have to keep the NTSC C64, thanks guys.

Tatsujin

cant you 50Hz mod it? insert different crystal?

saturndual32

Hey, i hadnt tought about it. I am gonna check that out. I cant do it myself, but i would guess its gonna be cheaper than importing a PAL one, hehe.
Thanks for the sugestion!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: saturndual32 on 02/13/2014, 02:07 PMI wanted the PAL C64 to be able to play all the european games at their propper speeds. But, yeah, with the cost of shipping, it just doesnt seem to be worth it, hehe.

wildfruit, thanks for the offer. No trip to London on the horizon, but thanks anyway, hehe.

I think i will have to keep the NTSC C64, thanks guys.
which games are we talking about here?  Some of them work fine in NTSC, and the "proper" speed versions blow anyway, lol.

saturndual32

Hi Arkhan.
Actually i am just discovering the C64 library, i know there are a ton of games for it, and most arent good, but hey, i kinda like mediocre 8 bit games, hehe.
So far i cant get R Type to run properly, Commandos music runs too fast, Robocop 2, Midnight Resistance and Creatures dont play at all, among others.
But hey, Silk Worm and Cybernoid do work OK, and i am enjoying them hehe.

Tatsujin

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: saturndual32 on 02/16/2014, 02:03 AMHi Arkhan.
Actually i am just discovering the C64 library, i know there are a ton of games for it, and most arent good, but hey, i kinda like mediocre 8 bit games, hehe.
So far i cant get R Type to run properly, Commandos music runs too fast, Robocop 2, Midnight Resistance and Creatures dont play at all, among others.
But hey, Silk Worm and Cybernoid do work OK, and i am enjoying them hehe.
That's odd.  I have Commando and it runs fine on a NTSC c64.

Did you download them from like GB64.org or whatever it is called?   You should be able to just find NTSC versions of these games.   I honestly can't recall many games that didn't work right on my C64. 

One game worth trying is Parallax. 

saturndual32

Darn it, Parallax didnt work either :x!.
Just realised that a lot of games are said not to work through the SD2IEC adaptor,  i have been reading reports that a lot dont work.
So, between the PAL and SD2IEC adaptor compatiblity issues, i am missing on a ton of games  ](*,).

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: saturndual32 on 02/20/2014, 02:47 PMDarn it, Parallax didnt work either :x!.
Just realised that a lot of games are said not to work through the SD2IEC adaptor,  i have been reading reports that a lot dont work.
So, between the PAL and SD2IEC adaptor compatiblity issues, i am missing on a ton of games  ](*,).
IIRC, most games will load correctly off a floppy, even if they are PAL.   I wrote tons of PAL images to real floppy disks and they ran fine.  Sometimes there were retarded screen artifacts due to PAL special effects or something, but they all worked.

ApolloBoy

Quote from: saturndual32 on 02/20/2014, 02:47 PMJust realised that a lot of games are said not to work through the SD2IEC adaptor,  i have been reading reports that a lot dont work.
That has more to do with the fact that a number of games depend on the 1541 hardware (which the SD2IEC doesn't fully emulate) to work properly, it doesn't have anything to do with PAL/NTSC issues.
IMG

saturndual32

Yeah, that settles it, i will have to hunt down a disk drive and some original games then. But for now, i will settle with the SD2IEC for a while, at least a bunch of games do work ok.
 Thanks ApolloBoy.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: saturndual32 on 02/23/2014, 09:25 PMYeah, that settles it, i will have to hunt down a disk drive and some original games then. But for now, i will settle with the SD2IEC for a while, at least a bunch of games do work ok.
 Thanks ApolloBoy.
Buy a 1571, not a 1541.    The 1541s are pieces of shit.   I stopped using those years ago because if you look at them wrong, they go out of alignment.

saturndual32

Thanks for the heads up Arkhan, i will stay away from those POS 1541 then  :D.
I am actually enjoying the C64 quiet a bit, it may not have the greatest library of games ever, but i am having fun with a bunch of them.

Arkhan Asylum

There are definitely some good games, its just alot of the ones that people rave about suck, and are only liked because its a bunch of mouthbreathers that refuse to play anything but C64 games, and as a result, have no clue what they are talking about.

Try Gateway to Apshai.   That was a fun game.

You may also like...

RimRunner (It's retarded but fun)
Usagi Yojimbo
Project Firestart
Sword of Fargoal
Forbidden Forest (looks like shit!  but its fun)
Mayhem in Monsterland
Creatures 1 and 2

there's also Legacy of the Ancients and Legend of Blacksilver, which are two awesome RPGs.

wildfruit

Does anyone remember a game that had i think something to do with Frankenstein and collecting keys? It was a tape game

ApolloBoy

Quote from: guest on 02/24/2014, 12:44 PMBuy a 1571, not a 1541.    The 1541s are pieces of shit.   I stopped using those years ago because if you look at them wrong, they go out of alignment.
Yeah I wouldn't bother with an actual 1541 either. When they go out of alignment, you have to get a special disk for it and you can't just make a copy of it; you have to actually buy the disk. The 1541-II is also a nice choice since it's small and reliable, but it has an external PSU. There's plenty of third party drives as well, but they use a different BIOS than Commodore drives and some games won't work because of it.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: wildfruit on 02/24/2014, 05:19 PMDoes anyone remember a game that had i think something to do with Frankenstein and collecting keys? It was a tape game
check lemon64.com for it.   I didn't play alot of tape games because I don't like waiting 53 years to play a game that ends up blowing.  :)

wildfruit

Quote from: guest on 02/26/2014, 02:55 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 02/24/2014, 05:19 PMDoes anyone remember a game that had i think something to do with Frankenstein and collecting keys? It was a tape game
check lemon64.com for it.   I didn't play alot of tape games because I don't like waiting 53 years to play a game that ends up blowing.  :)
thanks man i had a look i think it was Frankenstein jr but memory is hazy

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, there's only a few Frankenstein games.  I played Frankenstein, the text adventure.    That one was OK, but it's obviously got nothing to do with collecting keys really.