Let's do some fun speculation!

Started by MotherGunner, 03/04/2014, 01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotherGunner

It is the year 2080, I doubt any of us are still around and most likely, our collections have long since been passed down to friends or family more than once (if not sold).

CD's and HuCards are a few years away from failing and there is no one left who knows how to repair failing hardware.  Emulation is still not good enough.

Will people still manage to Obey? Or have they moved on to things like V-World?

Is TG/PC-Engine still remembered?

Did someone ever come up with a nice repro of Magical Chase?  Dynastic Hero?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Otaking

Quote from: MotherGunner on 03/04/2014, 01:30 PMDid someone ever come up with a nice repro of Magical Chase?  Dynastic Hero?
By then home 3D printers will have advanced enough to do you a nice repro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

ToyMachine78

What do you mean by a "few years" from failure? My 2600 carts are still going strong.

MotherGunner

Quote from: toymachine78 on 03/04/2014, 01:36 PMWhat do you mean by a "few years" from failure? My 2600 carts are still going strong.
Everything has a half-life.  They say CD's only last about 100 years before losing integrity.  I imagine plastics and electronics (like the ones in HuCards and Gaming Hardware) will also eventually lose integrity/fail beyond repair.
-MG

ToyMachine78

I agree, but hopefully not in a few years!

RoyVegas

All is well. :)

csgx1

Quote from: MotherGunner on 03/04/2014, 01:30 PMIt is the year 2080, I doubt any of us are still around...

...Will people still manage to Obey? Or have they moved on to things like V-World?...
By then, I expect my mind and conscious to be downloaded into the virtual Obey world where a utopia of eternal Obey would then commence. :D 

IMG

esteban

Answer: No. No. No. And, No.

How many folks here play old Edison recordings (you know, the wax toilet paper tube things)? We're talking pre-platter tech.

Some really kool folks still play them, but usually for niche radio shows on niche stations (WFMU) for niche audiences (me), and of course a handful of archivists (Library of Congress) will preserve these recordings every so often (as analog/digital recording technology improves).

HuCARD's will be the equivalent of today's Edison cylinders: fragile items  whose physical properties are as odd as its contents.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

OBEY is immortal and timeless!  They're will always be at least a handful of enlightened sages to carry forth the torch.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Nando

I think Roy nailed it.

Cause he likes electrolites

RoyVegas

Quote from: Nando on 03/04/2014, 04:49 PMI think Roy nailed it.

Cause he likes electrolites
It's what plants crave!!
All is well. :)

MotherGunner

-MG

greedostick

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 03/04/2014, 01:33 PM
Quote from: MotherGunner on 03/04/2014, 01:30 PMDid someone ever come up with a nice repro of Magical Chase?  Dynastic Hero?
By then home 3D printers will have advanced enough to do you a nice repro.
This actually is probably the most realistic answer. 3-D printing will change everything, and there will be enough jobless people by this time, because of 3-D Printing to actually play all these old games!!

I am also hoping because of 3-D printing my life will be extended at least another 50 or so years so I can see all the sweet games to come out long after I should be dead!

Here is a really good on what 3-D has to offer at this point.

Will 3D Printing Change the World? | Off Book | PBS Digital Studios
IMG