10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

(3/5/2014 - 3/11/2014) Game of the Week: The Lost Sunheart

Started by SamIAm, 03/05/2014, 11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamIAm

(2/26/2014 - 3/4/2014) Game of the Week: Bloody Wolf

---------------------------------------------------
March 5 - March 11: The Lost Sunheart
IMG
(Chosen by Gogan)

I've lived in Japan for going on a full decade, and this game makes me nostalgic for a time I was never even here for. Yep, this game reeks of late 80s/early 90s Japan. There might not be a lot of substance to the game itself, but stylistically, I can just feel the age gone by in this one.

So what about the game itself? It seems pretty funky. Give it a shot and let us know what you think!

GOTW Schedule:

January 15-21: Battle Royale (TheClash603)
January 22-28: Drop Off/Drop Rock (esteban)
January 29-February 4: Bonk's Adventure (roflmao)
February 5-11: Silent Debuggers (vestcunt)
February 12-18: Somer Assault (BigusSchmuck)
February 19-25: Splatterhouse (FiftyQuid)
February 26-March 4: Bloody Wolf (Jibbajaba)
March 5-11: The Lost Sunheart (Gogan)
March 12-18: Sapphire (BlueBMW)
March 19-25: Energy (PunkCryborg)
March 26-April 1: Air Zonk (JoshTurboTrollX-16)
April 2-8: Veigues Tactical Gladiator (Punch)
April 9-15: OPEN!

Rules:
-All members are allowed one submission. When there are no further submissions, we will have a reset and everyone will be able to submit another game.
-Each game may only be submitted once.
-If you wish to retract your submission, please do so at least two weeks before your game is due. Your next submission will go to the back of the cue.
-Please don't submit games that have a high language barrier or will take too long to complete (particularly RPGs).
-Please don't submit games that are too expensive. Below $50 is best. Above $100 won't work.

(If you have any questions or comments about the GOTW system, please either PM me or post in the old thread)

InfraMan

Oh cool, it's a shmup... I was thinking this was an RPG or something from the title. I'll have to give this one a try tonight!

csgx1

I've been kind of looking forward to this one since I've had this game for awhile but never had a chance to give it a good play through.  Hopefully I'll have some time this week.

Psycho Punch

Seems cool, however I can't defeat the 1st boss, he always seems to detach his head and the body hides offscreen, making him undestructible.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

I have only one thing to say.

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

InfraMan

Alrighty... I played through this one tonight, and this is a weird game, lol. Took me a while to figure out that I could select different secondary weapons by pressing Run.

There's a lot of R-Type syndrome here, with the need to memorize enemy patterns and safe spots, but it's not nearly as difficult as that one. The generous life bar and frequent power-ups made it pretty easy to get through. Having to restart the entire stage if you die at a boss kind of sucked, but at least most of the stages were pretty short.

Not a bad game, really. I think it gets by on its weirdness more than its gameplay, but there's something to be said for a game that isn't afraid to be batshit crazy.  =D>

wolfman

Quote from: esteban on 03/05/2014, 04:53 PMI have only one thing to say.

IMG
Dude, where did you get that crystal panorama?!? I had one when I was 10! It came as a "gimmick" wit a weekly german comic magazine...
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
-------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

esteban

Quote from: wolfman on 03/07/2014, 04:19 AM
Quote from: esteban on 03/05/2014, 04:53 PMI have only one thing to say.

IMG
Dude, where did you get that crystal panorama?!? I had one when I was 10! It came as a "gimmick" wit a weekly german comic magazine...
An XMAS gift from a science or craft store, a few years ago.

It was actually very kool, my daughter and I were surprised with how well the crystals bloomed.  :pcgs:

johnnykonami

I hadn't heard of this one!  Watched a video on youtube and it looks pretty interesting.  I'll have to check it out someday.

PunkCryborg

Weird ass game.... I got to the dragon boss that's like coming out of the angled ceiling so far, I think I can beat it with some more practice.

csgx1

Had a chance to sit down and really play this over the weekend. I didn't realize the sub weapon could be changed by pressing start until after a couple hours of playing. #-o

Not a bad game but I do agree, it's weird. The fast flying eyeballs that shoot bullets are pretty tough to avoid. Made it to what I think is the last boss (evil Pacman looking boss) but got killed fairly quickly.

I'll have to make another attempt to beat it when I have time.

Gogan

I really like this one. Really f'n weird game! That's why I picked it, not much talk about it and I wanted to hear some opinions on one of the weirdo games out there.
Nothin beats the real thing.

csgx1

I was able to 1cc this game on normal.  It's not as hard as I initially thought when I first play it.  A decent shooter that I recommend checking out. 

So, I've restored the 5 doohickies into the thingamijig to save the world. :lol: .....

IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: wolfman on 03/07/2014, 04:19 AMI had one when I was 10! It came as a "gimmick" wit a weekly german comic magazine...
lol YPS heft!!  :P

IMG

and I think this is the one esty got:

http://www.amazon.de/Unbekannt-5038728010945-Magischer-Kristall-Garten/dp/B000H6QSV2

:)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

geise

That does look like the one esteban has.  Those are pretty cool looking!

Well I see today is international Sapphire day.  I take it there will be another thread for that one.  I have some time on my hands today and think I will actually participate for a change.  I finally have some time.  As for The Lost Sunheart, I never really cared for it all that much.  It's not a bad game just a little to slow for what I like in a shooter.  I have to give the game credit though.  It's definitely original for a shooter.

PunkCryborg

I'm at the water level with the bombs.... dude this level SUCKS

420GOAT

I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

PunkCryborg

Well I finally beat it. I was so close to a 1cc but died on the last boss, continued once then beat it.
/v9tl.jpg

A couple tips -
  • once you get the H weapon DO NOT pick up a C weapon
  • use the #2 subweapon once you get it from the shop the whole game till the last boss
  • speed all the way up, the enemies that come from the top and bottom are near impossible to dodge otherwise
  • the level after the face guy steals your orbs and he hangs out at the corner the whole level, shoot him as much as possible and he'll drop a 1UP

wolfman

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/12/2014, 01:54 AM
Quote from: wolfman on 03/07/2014, 04:19 AMI had one when I was 10! It came as a "gimmick" wit a weekly german comic magazine...
lol YPS heft!!  :P

IMG

and I think this is the one esty got:

http://www.amazon.de/Unbekannt-5038728010945-Magischer-Kristall-Garten/dp/B000H6QSV2

:)
E X A C T L Y !  OMG, didn´t know it was available for purchase separately! Hahaha, oh man, that was my childhood...waiting for the new Yps to arrive...  :D
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

esteban