Warning Do Not Store Your Looseies In One Of These !!!

Started by Nec.Game.head, 03/13/2014, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nec.Game.head

Hey everyone so I'm sharing this little information for anyone that is looking to store their loose HU Cards or have them in a convenient storage space. I recently discovered that using credit card holders to store your HU Cards can cause permanent damage to them. I've been using this form myself to store some of my games and recently discovered a clear sticky film on them from the plastic on the holders. At first I noticed they were kinda sticking in the little separate compartments of the holder but didn't think much of it. I just the other day took out a few cards to play on my TG16 and to my surprise I noticed they were in bad shape! I tried several forms of cleaning off the residue with methods of safe cleaning which I have performed for many years now and I had nothing but upsetting results. I'm not too sure but it almost seems as if their is a chemical reaction happening with the clear coat on the HU Cards and the plastic from the holders. When trying to rub off the residue it takes everything including the print on the Hueys right off. I now have about 15 non rare easily replaceable Hu Cards that are permanently ruined. A fair warning to anyone considering this form of storing their precious Hu Card games !!

IMG

IMG

IMG
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

RoyVegas

Wow, that really sucks.  Sorry to hear about that.  I used to keep mine in one similar to yours. Luckily it was only for a short period before I switched to putting them in those baseball card sheets that hold 9 per page.  Glad I did. Yikes
All is well. :)

Arkhan Asylum

You have to make sure the plastic used to store HuCards is safe for plastics. 

Even 9 page baseball card sheets are not safe, if you buy shitty ones.

Your best bet is to get some from Fantasy Flight or Ultra Pro or something.   Anyone who's all about protecting gaming bits.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

schweaty

Quote from: RoyVegas on 03/13/2014, 01:13 PMWow, that really sucks.  Sorry to hear about that.  I used to keep mine in one similar to yours. Luckily it was only for a short period before I switched to putting them in those baseball card sheets that hold 9 per page.  Glad I did. Yikes
IIRC baseball card holders are the same type of plastic as what is in the pics. 

if you are committed to using plastic pages to store your hueys, i would recommend they always be kept climate controlled.  when those plastic sheets get hot all sorts of reactions start to happen to what is inside them.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: schweaty on 03/13/2014, 01:18 PMif you are committed to using plastic pages to store your hueys, i would recommend they always be kept climate controlled.  when those plastic sheets get hot all sorts of reactions start to happen to what is inside them.
The ones designed for Magic cards/Etc don't have this issue.   They're made specifically to protect 5000$ cards stored in basements/attics/cars/etc. 

I've seen those sheets sitting in trunks for weeks at a time in humid 90+ degree weather and they're fine.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nec.Game.head

So that everyone is aware it dose not happen right away. They need to sit in those sleeves for sometime before it starts to happen. I didn't play my games for over a month and that's when it caught me slipping !! It's not worth it to even store them in these temporarily. It truly bums me out but one victim is better then several being screwed over by this ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah dude, really though, even the official rubbery sleeves have gone retarded and get sticky/melty and goo up the cards.   

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 03/13/2014, 01:58 PMI keep my everdrive in a ESD bag; no such problems yet! ^_^
Shouldn't it be kept in your Turbo?  [-(

CrackTiger

This really sucks, but thanks for help the rest of us avoid a similar situation.

I've kept mine in UltraPro pages for years without any issues.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

syphic

I use the same one and haven't had any issues but definitely taking em out when I get home!
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Elderboroom, dicer

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 03/13/2014, 02:05 PM
Quote from: RoyVegas on 03/13/2014, 02:01 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/13/2014, 01:58 PMI keep my everdrive in a ESD bag; no such problems yet! ^_^
Not when Sapphire is GotW! (:
Forgiven. lol

NecroPhile

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 03/13/2014, 01:40 PMI didn't play my games for over a month and that's when it caught me slipping !!
Hmm, perhaps it's not the plastic sleeve's fault; your games were getting lonely, depressed, suicidal.  :shock:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 03/13/2014, 02:02 PMThis really sucks, but thanks for help the rest of us avoid a similar situation.

I've kept mine in UltraPro pages for years without any issues.
Same here.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

johnnykonami

I'm sorry to hear about you hu-cards.  That really sucks.  Even though common, that's 15 less games in good condition, especially if you buy replacements for all of them.  I was planning on buying some of SeyMorOnion's replacement sleeves, and I know they were made with care and good intentions for sure.  But I can't help wonder if over time a similar issue might occur.  Did anyone buy some of those?

ClodBusted

When I got one of those cheap sealed Blazing Lazers from ebay last year, the card and its sleeve were pretty sticky.

Getting rid of the messy sleeve and cleaning the Hu-Card with alcohol did the trick. I also found a local source for decent quality credit card sleeves that are doing their job fine enough.

MotherGunner

Quote from: RoyVegas on 03/13/2014, 02:01 PM
Ha ha ha!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

NecroPhile

Quote from: johnnykonami on 03/13/2014, 03:05 PMI was planning on buying some of SeyMorOnion's replacement sleeves, and I know they were made with care and good intentions for sure.  But I can't help wonder if over time a similar issue might occur.  Did anyone buy some of those?
I've got some of 'em and haven't noticed any gooeyness or sticking problems.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Nec.Game.head

Lol you may be right about that Necromancer !! Neglecting the Obey should be considered a serious jail serving offence !!!

xcrement5x

I use UltraPro side loaders as well for misc stuff as well.  They were recommended to me by a friend who runs a Magic shop and they've held up well.

Side loading (instead of top loading) pages especially are nice so that everything doesn't fall out the pages when you move your binder around.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 03/13/2014, 05:37 PMI use UltraPro side loaders as well for misc stuff as well.  They were recommended to me by a friend who runs a Magic shop and they've held up well.

Side loading (instead of top loading) pages especially are nice so that everything doesn't fall out the pages when you move your binder around.
Weird, I only have stuff slide out of side loaders whereas I don't have that issue with top loaders.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

roflmao

CPTRAVE

I use something similar, thanks for letting us know I will find new places to store them.

Tatsujin

I use one that is kinda made of cellophane. no probs there for several years.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 03/13/2014, 03:20 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 03/13/2014, 03:05 PMI was planning on buying some of SeyMorOnion's replacement sleeves, and I know they were made with care and good intentions for sure.  But I can't help wonder if over time a similar issue might occur.  Did anyone buy some of those?
I've got some of 'em and haven't noticed any gooeyness or sticking problems.
Got 'em too.  No issues here.  I've been using them for a couple years now.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

TR0N

Yikes last got some for free here last year,don't know if it's the same band so i'll to check.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

I am going to check on my stuff tonight, I've had a bunch of games in these pages for years...I'm sure it varies by material/age/exposure to light/humidity/etc.

Still, I'm gonna pull 'em out.

I should point out that there were different suppliers/manufacturers for the original HuCARD sleeves (or, alternatively, the manufacturers used different materials at different times)...consequently, some folks here have reported similar problems with SLEEVES adhering/damaging HuCARDS.

To prevent any damage, I now keep all of my HuCARDs in ceramic mugs and lace baggies*.

* baggies are free of polyvinyl and stuff like that....
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

IrishNinja

ugh, sucks to see this (sorry OP) but thanks for the heads-up, was just thinking of doing something similar a while back too.
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86
IMG
IMG

PCEngineHell

If that gunkiness spread to the connector pins on the cards just carefully use some soft sandpaper on the pins. That will remove any oxidization.

Paddyfitz18

Hmmm.  I recently started keeping them in a binder from Office Depot with plastic sheets for holding business cards.  Saw a pic of someone who did that and looked like a good idea.  Maybe rethinking that.  Thing is, I keep a few somewhat valuable (to me) ones in there.  Like Soldier Blade, but I am playing that a lot lately and no noticable damage so far.

Paddyfitz18

Hmmm.  I recently started keeping them in a binder from Office Depot with plastic sheets for holding business cards.  Saw a pic of someone who did that and looked like a good idea.  Maybe rethinking that.  Thing is, I keep a few somewhat valuable (to me) ones in there.  Like Soldier Blade, but I am playing that a lot lately and no noticable damage so far.

YANDMAN

I keep mine in a cd wallet, yes the compartments are obviously bigger but it keeps them fine and the plastic is a type of anti-static so no way it can harm your cards at all.

warpig227

damn man i was considering this, thank god i didn't, thanks for the heads up. sorry that happened

Jinxed

I had my hu-cards in one of these, looks like it may have done something similar to some of mine.
it looks like the plastic softens the clear coat on the cards, i wiped them down with a damp tissue and left them with tissue in between each. i think it may be hardening a little, not sure yet as it has only been a week since i took them out.

this thread should be stickied, there must be lots of people storing there hu cards this way

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

VenomMacbeth

Hm, I wonder about this.  Some of the sleeves my hucards reside in feel sticky, but I can't remember if the hucards themselves got sticky too...gotta go check.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

Jinxed

Arkhan Asylum

Gentlegamer

IMG

cr8zykuban0

damn dude, I remember when you told me about that. those poor hu cards. that sucks. hope you found a better alternate solution

pdiggitydogg

I was looking at using pcmcia cases, with printed artwork on loosies. I still only have 1 damn game and an ever drive, but I would like to collect more games I really enjoy.
Anyone use those? I thought briefly about using card holders but I am not a fan of this...now more so!