OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

If You had to choose and why?

Started by paybacks3, 05/14/2014, 11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paybacks3

Gentlemen...  I think its time for me to invest a little more money on some video game stuff..  My question to u since I'm new on the TG/PCE scene which console should I pick up and why?  I keep seeing if I pick up a duo I need to replace the caps. If u don't catch it in time does it ruin the unit all together?  Does the TurboEverdrive fit in all the console's?
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: paybacks3 on 05/14/2014, 11:53 AMMy question to u since I'm new on the TG/PCE scene which console should I pick up and why?
Get a region modded Duo (any version), as it's the cheapest way to get the most compatibility.  Functionally there's very little difference between the different models, so I'd buy whatever you can find a good deal on; the US TurboDuo is usually the most expensive and the PCE Duo is usually the cheapest (both need cap jobs), and the Duo-R and RX usually fetch higher prices.

Quote from: paybacks3 on 05/14/2014, 11:53 AMI keep seeing if I pick up a duo I need to replace the caps. If u don't catch it in time does it ruin the unit all together?
Usually not.  If ignored too long the cap juice can damage traces (maybe even some components), but it's almost always still fixable albeit at increased cost obviously.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: NecroPhile on 05/14/2014, 12:18 PMGet a region modded Duo (any version), as it's the cheapest way to get the most compatibility.  Functionally there's very little difference between the different models, so I'd buy whatever you can find a good deal on; the US TurboDuo is usually the most expensive and the PCE Duo is usually the cheapest (both need cap jobs), and the Duo-R and RX usually fetch higher prices.
Not OP, but to ask a further question, who around here does region modding? I hear that Drakon is a mighty fine choice. Lots of good feedback. But seriously.

JoshTurboTrollX

Some completionists will want to have the TurboGrafx/CD/Super card set up to have what they grew up with, but the best bet is always to just get a Duo. Whichever version you get, it's just the better deal.

One plug in, one sleek trim console sitting below your TV, it just makes the most sense.  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

paybacks3

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2014, 12:17 PM.

Caution:  If you buy a community purchased Duo and flip it on eBay, your boy parts will rot off and you'll have bad luck for 70 years.
Would never in a million years do that. 

Another question does the region mod affect the everdrive?
IMG

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2014, 12:36 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/14/2014, 12:18 PMGet a region modded Duo (any version), as it's the cheapest way to get the most compatibility.  Functionally there's very little difference between the different models, so I'd buy whatever you can find a good deal on; the US TurboDuo is usually the most expensive and the PCE Duo is usually the cheapest (both need cap jobs), and the Duo-R and RX usually fetch higher prices.
Not OP, but to ask a further question, who around here does region modding? I hear that Drakon is a mighty fine choice. Lots of good feedback. But seriously.
Like Nulltard said, Keith Courage here is great to work with too. He is fixing my Duo R right now and i know he does region mods. He's real easy to work with and puts up with my noob questions :)

paybacks3

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 05/14/2014, 12:40 PMSome completionists will want to have the TurboGrafx/CD/Super card set up to have what they grew up with, but the best bet is always to just get a Duo. Whichever version you get, it's just the better deal.

One plug in, one sleek trim console sitting below your TV, it just makes the most sense.  :)
That's what I'm looking for. The Mrs is already giving me crap for all the systems I have and I don't have much Lol

NES Top Loader AV modded
Sega Gen Model 2 stock
TurboGrafx 16
Super Famicom
Region Free DreamCast
GameCube sent out for WiiKey fusion w/SD slot (should be done soon)
PS1-2 W/FreeMcBoot-3 stock
2 soft Modded Xbox's with 80gHD (XBMC)
2 360's one stock one JTAG'd
Wii SoftModded w/500g HD

Plus some handhelds

So if could add one console instead of two she probably wouldn't notice
IMG

jtucci31

Quote from: paybacks3 on 05/14/2014, 01:04 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 05/14/2014, 12:40 PMSome completionists will want to have the TurboGrafx/CD/Super card set up to have what they grew up with, but the best bet is always to just get a Duo. Whichever version you get, it's just the better deal.

That's what I'm looking for. The Mrs is already giving me crap for all the systems I have and I don't have much Lol

NES Top Loader AV modded
Sega Gen Model 2 stock
TurboGrafx 16
Super Famicom
Region Free DreamCast
GameCube sent out for WiiKey fusion w/SD slot (should be done soon)
PS1-2 W/FreeMcBoot-3 stock
2 soft Modded Xbox's with 80gHD (XBMC)
2 360's one stock one JTAG'd
Wii SoftModded w/500g HD

Plus some handhelds

My advice: sell all of those to buy multiple PCE's   :)

pulstar

Lots of good advice in this thread. Go with what Nulltard said. IMO the Duo is the best looking of the Duo/R/R-X models and having it recapped is a bonus as well.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Dyna138

Aesthetically I prefer the US turboDuo over any other version. The Duo Rs and RXs tend to yellow and discolor which always looks funky to me. Unfortunately the caps are prone to failure and it's one of the more expensive options so just keep that in mind. My caps went bad on my Duo and I sent it out to Keith Courage for repair and now it's good as new.

wolfman

Quote from: paybacks3 on 05/14/2014, 01:04 PMSo if could add one console instead of two she probably wouldn't notice
That was a good one  :lol:
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
-------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-------------------------------------------------------------

bob

i stopped reading at this term.  terrible way to position the question.

Quote from: paybacks3 on 05/14/2014, 11:53 AM... to invest a little more money on some video game stuff.

paybacks3

Quote from: galam on 05/14/2014, 05:05 PMi stopped reading at this term.  terrible way to position the question.

Quote from: paybacks3 on 05/14/2014, 11:53 AM... to invest a little more money on some video game stuff.
I'm confused why u have invest in bold?  Anything I purchase I consider an investment... Time ...money ....etc. Didn't like the verbiage?
IMG

NecroPhile

Investment implies that you're planning to later resell for profit.  If you just want something to use and enjoy, it's just "buying".

paybacks3

Well that's not the case...  This investment/purchase is to add another console to my man cave. I asked for input so I wouldn't waste my money on something that wouldn't be beneficial to my needs and wants.
IMG

NecroPhile

Let's just say you expect your investment to pay back dividends in smile form.  :mrgreen:

paybacks3

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2014, 05:32 PMLet's just say you expect your investment to pay back dividends in smile form.  :mrgreen:
Anything else would be uncivilized Lol (( as I hold my hu cards in my hand like a right guard deodorant))
IMG

synbiosfan

No one's mentioned the Turbo Express/GT and I love mine.

You can get one modded with a/v out and a controller port for console gaming. Everdrive compatible as long as you don't get the auto-switch region mod.

I only mention it since the wife might not notice another handheld but you miss out on the cds.

jtucci31

Quote from: synbiosfan on 05/14/2014, 08:02 PMNo one's mentioned the Turbo Express/GT and I love mine.

You can get one modded with a/v out and a controller port for console gaming. Everdrive compatible as long as you don't get the auto-switch region mod.

I only mention it since the wife might not notice another handheld but you miss out on the cds.
Oh wow i didn't know people did AV out mods and controller ports on the Express/GT. That would be great for hotel trips or whatever.

I've been wanting an Express because i have some downtime at work and I'm able to read or play gameboy, would love to Obey at work. :) When i get the money I'll look more into it.

Is yours region modded by chance? And what do ya mean by autoswitch? Ya just pop it in and play?

paybacks3

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2014, 08:09 PM
Quote from: synbiosfan on 05/14/2014, 08:02 PMNo one's mentioned the Turbo Express/GT and I love mine.

and you miss out on the ability to save games...without the use of passwords anyway. And the stock screen on the Turbo Express makes that a chore. Turbokon has a great reputation for quality screen upgrade mods.
Yea thought about that but the CD portion of the console is a huge plus for me.  I normally take the SP/DS with me or the PSP soft modded if I need any retro fix while I'm traveling
IMG

synbiosfan

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2014, 08:10 PMIs yours region modded by chance? And what do ya mean by autoswitch? Ya just pop it in and play?
My TE is not region modded since all but 2 of my Hus are TG-16s and I planned on using an Everdrive.

For the handhelds so as not to have another big old (or small) region switch installed on the Express, the mod board was designed to detect what the region of the Hu and switch automatically. If I understand it correctly that is.

jtucci31

Quote from: synbiosfan on 05/14/2014, 08:20 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/14/2014, 08:10 PMIs yours region modded by chance? And what do ya mean by autoswitch? Ya just pop it in and play?
My TE is not region modded since all but 2 of my Hus are TG-16s and I planned on using an Everdrive.

For the handhelds so as not to have another big old (or small) region switch installed on the Express, the mod board was designed to detect what the region of the Hu and switch automatically. If I understand it correctly that is.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense to not have some switch hanging off the side of it. I'll definitely look into that more when the time comes.

synbiosfan

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2014, 08:23 PM
Quote from: synbiosfan on 05/14/2014, 08:20 PM

Yeah that makes a lot of sense to not have some switch hanging off the side of it. I'll definitely look into that more when the time comes.
I think Turbokon does the a/v out.

majors

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2014, 01:37 PM
Quote from: paybacks3 on 05/14/2014, 01:04 PM

[edit]
...blah blah...
TurboGrafx 16
[edit]
...more blah blah meaningless consoles...
Plus some handhelds

My advice: sell all of those to buy multiple PCE's   :)
^ this guy! He knows what's up.

Trolling aside. Since you have a TG, no need to region mod a PCE unit, unless you do not like to have a rats nest behind the entertainment center :) Plus I think import obey are cheaper.

Duo is the best. Sleek, black and does it all! Save the 5 SuperGrafx games.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

esteban

I love putting the TG-CD system card into the TurboExpress, because I can.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bob

Quote from: paybacks3 on 05/14/2014, 05:16 PM
Quote from: galam on 05/14/2014, 05:05 PMi stopped reading at this term.  terrible way to position the question.

I'm confused why u have invest in bold?  Anything I purchaseI consider an investment... Time...money ....etc. Didn't like the verbiage?
If you purchase time, let me know where i can get some.

synbiosfan

Quote from: galam on 05/15/2014, 11:15 AMIf you purchase time, let me know where i can get some.
At the news stand, they do sell more than Playboy, Hustler and Penthouse. :P

Tatsujin

you easily can buy time by living more healthy compared to living unhealthy. unfortunately without engagement.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

paybacks3

I would like to thank everyone one their input...  I've decided to go with the PCE DUO.  I have something in the works and should have that bad boy in 2-3 weeks. Thanks again. I'll post pics when everything comes in.
IMG

synbiosfan

If that falls through, Dicer has a good deal for a PCE/IFU setup! Already modded.

paybacks3

IMG

synbiosfan

Quote from: guest on 05/17/2014, 01:18 PMIsn't dicer's pce/ifu the one that doesn't play nice with the Everdrive? A good deal if that doesn't matter to you.
To me it would matter. That sucks!

paybacks3

That's one reason I wouldn't run to pick it up.  Any must have must play CD games I need to play?
IMG

synbiosfan

Quote from: guest on 05/17/2014, 02:32 PMThere are veritable shitloads of must play CD games. If you search the forums you can probably find a bunch of "top ten" and "must play" type threads.  ( :   Dracula X, gate/lords of thunder, and sapphire to name a few shining examples.
Y's games including the community translated/dubbed Y's IV
Strider
etc

gamerslife

i agree investing is suspicious and a full investigation needs to be launched as i see the ebay prices jumping again after u invest more money, i believe is how it was put...
The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N. -Wooderson (AKA:Matthew McConaughey)

paybacks3

IMG

geise

Well congrats on the PCE Duo.  Remember if you're doing CDR's a lot of Duo's have issues with CDR's if you're going that route.  Some are fine, but some won't play them at all.  Now for some decent priced CD games I would find:
Monster Lair
Spriggan
Ys Book I&II
Gate of Thunder (US copy is in the 3 in 1 pack in CD that came boxed with the system)
Lords of Thunder (ebay has gouged this so ask for a copy around here)
Buster Bros.
Valis III-IV
Ys IV
Ys III
Shadow of the Beast
Valis Fantasm Soldier
Rayxanber II
Dracula X (can be had for around $70)
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Exile

Buy an arcade card duo and download Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
If you  like fighting games also buy the ports of all the Neo Geo fighting games like Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury 2/Special, World Heroes 2

paybacks3

Huge fighter fan. Was doing some research on games never knew Neo put out games on the PC Engine (New to all this)  curious to how port plays.  Super excited. Thanks for your recommendations
IMG