RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Everdrive cd

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/01/2014, 09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

Might sound .unrealistic. 

But

Has there been or is there a possibility for a ever drive cd component.

Example being the Hu card everdrive having the capability to read save and play the cd based games, but from the Hu card.

I could be completly dead wrong 100% but the cd attachment was because CDs hold more data right?  It wasn't the cd having additional processing power right?   It was just used as a source of more data to read but be played with the pc core graphic processors. 

This might be a old topic an old wied eyed dream but just throwing out my rambaings for the day.

Medic_wheat

Found this post on another forum.

"The CD ROM games are not region protected and there's no SW protection whatsoever, so if you have a CDROM reader (CDROMROM or Super CDROMROM units) then you can burn to your heart's content.
If you have a Super CDROMROM unit (or equivalently a Duo/Duo R) you can still use the Turbo Everdrive to load the Super System Card 3.0 in English, or any of the older ones in case you need (Altered Beast requires System Card 1.0, to access the "Wrong System Card" on screen artwork also you need alternative System Cards loaded). Obviously the Arcade Card is not "loadable". On a CDROMROM unit (not Super) you can't just "load" Super System Card 3.0 via Everdrive, it won't work, but 1.0 or 2.0 are fine."

Makes seanse. I could see the ever drive being used for the various system cards...but I didn't realize the super cd games could be simply burned on a cd...cool.  Granted it won't have the durability as a pressed cd versus a burned one....

Dang. Was hoping there could be some sort of sd based way to access the cd based games through just the ever drive and a core system.....

Kinda like wha people have been doing with the dreamcast of late ...

HailingTheThings

IMG

pulstar

It's not as unrealistic as it sounds. You *could* emulate the CD operation by using a FPGA and having it communicate with a SD card to load a bin/cue file. This would be a hell of a lot of work for someone (or a team) and would require production of the emulation board to connect to the system (probably by the EXT port). I'm sure there was a project doing just this for the PSX.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

PCEngineHell

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/02/2014, 02:30 AM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/01/2014, 11:53 PMGranted it won't have the durability as a pressed cd versus a burned one....
*ahem*

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=74%20gold%20archival%20cd
Don't put that kind of faith into that. I have had professional cd-r's made by Taiyo Yuden and a couple other companies slowly go bad on me over the past few years. Disc burned mainly from 2002-2008. These were all stored in a temp controlled environment. Rather depressing considering how much I used to spend to buy long strategy disc. Ends up I am having them go bad more then the short strategy stuff I have had for the same amount of time.

spenoza

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/02/2014, 10:07 AMDon't put that kind of faith into that. I have had professional cd-r's made by Taiyo Yuden and a couple other companies slowly go bad on me over the past few years. Disc burned mainly from 2002-2008. These were all stored in a temp controlled environment. Rather depressing considering how much I used to spend to buy long strategy disc. Ends up I am having them go bad more then the short strategy stuff I have had for the same amount of time.
Several recent (in the past few years) studies have shown that some CDRs will degrade in as little as a year. So much depends on not just the substrate, but the type of glue, protection of the top layer, and specific formulation of the plastic.

That said, Mitsui's Gold CDs have a VERY good reputation. There is no archival standard (yes, many archival mediums, like paper and microfilm, have ISO standards) for CDs or other digital media at this time, but I would say that Mitsui's Gold are probably more consistent in manufacturing quality than any other type of disc. And they are priced like it, too. They aren't making them for casual users.

So Prof is right that there are absolutely no guarantees at all, but Mitsui Gold is probably the safest gamble available.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/02/2014, 10:07 AMDon't put that kind of faith into that. I have had professional cd-r's made by Taiyo Yuden and a couple other companies slowly go bad on me over the past few years. Disc burned mainly from 2002-2008. These were all stored in a temp controlled environment. Rather depressing considering how much I used to spend to buy long strategy disc. Ends up I am having them go bad more then the short strategy stuff I have had for the same amount of time.
I'm very sorry to hear that. I have a CD-R from some company called Z-One Technologies, I think, that I burned in 1998. Still. Works. Perfectly. I don't know why. lol Actually, I do, gold-plated...pretty sure.

Quote from: guest on 06/02/2014, 11:04 PMSeveral recent (in the past few years) studies have shown that some CDRs will degrade in as little as a year. So much depends on not just the substrate, but the type of glue, protection of the top layer, and specific formulation of the plastic.

That said, Mitsui's Gold CDs have a VERY good reputation. There is no archival standard (yes, many archival mediums, like paper and microfilm, have ISO standards) for CDs or other digital media at this time, but I would say that Mitsui's Gold are probably more consistent in manufacturing quality than any other type of disc. And they are priced like it, too. They aren't making them for casual users.

So Prof is right that there are absolutely no guarantees at all, but Mitsui Gold is probably the safest gamble available.
Mitsui = Wow. :3
IMG

Blit

Quote from: pulstar on 06/02/2014, 03:21 AMIt's not as unrealistic as it sounds. You *could* emulate the CD operation by using a FPGA and having it communicate with a SD card to load a bin/cue file. This would be a hell of a lot of work for someone (or a team) and would require production of the emulation board to connect to the system (probably by the EXT port). I'm sure there was a project doing just this for the PSX.
There is a finished one for the Sega Dreamcast. http://gdemu.wordpress.com/about/.
So it is indeed not unrealistic:)

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 06/02/2014, 11:04 PM
Several recent (in the past few years) studies have shown that some CDRs will degrade in as little as a year. So much depends on not just the substrate, but the type of glue, protection of the top layer, and specific formulation of the plastic.

.   All my cheapo Memorex discs I burned in the early 2000s are still going strong. And some are in rather poor shape with heavy scratching and stuff.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/24/2014, 03:55 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/02/2014, 11:04 PM

.   All my cheapo Memorex discs I burned in the early 2000s are still going strong. And some are in rather poor shape with heavy scratching and stuff.
IMG

ToyMachine78

^^^Uhhhh.... I don't get it....

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/24/2014, 04:06 PM^^^Uhhhh.... I don't get it....
I dont know seemed funny. What with your semi facebook like commenting and refuting between two opposing ideas of cd rewritable technology life span.

pulstar

Quote from: Blit on 06/24/2014, 03:48 PM
Quote from: pulstar on 06/02/2014, 03:21 AMIt's not as unrealistic as it sounds. You *could* emulate the CD operation by using a FPGA and having it communicate with a SD card to load a bin/cue file. This would be a hell of a lot of work for someone (or a team) and would require production of the emulation board to connect to the system (probably by the EXT port). I'm sure there was a project doing just this for the PSX.
There is a finished one for the Sega Dreamcast. http://gdemu.wordpress.com/about/.
So it is indeed not unrealistic:)
Looks good. I didn't know people were working on SD Card replacements for other consoles. Would be cool to have one for the PC Engine as well.

megatron-uk

He's working on versions of GDEMU for Saturn and PC-Engine already. CD emulation for our beloved PC-Engine may not be too far away.

pulstar

This is starting to sound even better :D

bonq

I would buy something like that for the PCE that would rock my socks off!

-bonq

johnnymad

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2014, 10:01 PMAbsolutely. Just load your ISO or bin/cue files onto the SD card, then insert the everdrive into the CD tray.
This did NOT work!!!  [-X