RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

video game wire management

Started by munchiaz, 06/05/2014, 02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munchiaz

So i just moved into a new home and have to set up my new game room. I am now in a loft area with more space, and really want to make the wiring set up as clean and easy to work with as possible. So what do you guys do for wiring management? Do you guys have certain tools or things you use to help in this regard? If you guys have pics that would help as well.

I will be hooking up 12 different consoles, and will have 2 TV's set up. One PVM, and a HD monitor. I will also have 3 consoles connected to the internet with 3 ethernet cables.
All advice is appreciated

xcrement5x

I use zip ties or those little things of velcro you can wrap around.  Just don't make them too tight that they're a pain to get off.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NecroPhile

I shove 'em back behind the furniture, act like they don't exist, then punch a squirrel when I go to move something and have to untangle the rat's nest.

It helps that I have a relatively modest set of goodies set up, but if I weren't so lazy I'd tie up cables like xele and maybe hide it all in some wire looms.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

reson8er

Quote from: munchiaz on 06/05/2014, 02:17 PMSo i just moved into a new home and have to set up my new game room. I am now in a loft area with more space, and really want to make the wiring set up as clean and easy to work with as possible. So what do you guys do for wiring management? Do you guys have certain tools or things you use to help in this regard? If you guys have pics that would help as well.

I will be hooking up 12 different consoles, and will have 2 TV's set up. One PVM, and a HD monitor. I will also have 3 consoles connected to the internet with 3 ethernet cables.
I personally use the following:
Great for identifying a your plugs http://www.containerstore.com/shop/dorm/desk/cordControl?productId=10019508&N=80178

Great for general cable routing, reusable and color coded making hot swapping easier http://www.containerstore.com/shop/dorm/desk/cordControl?productId=10004583&N=80178&Nao=20

Great for when cables come together, a bit of a pain though if you have to re-do. http://www.containerstore.com/shop/dorm/desk/cordControl?productId=10011728&N=80178&Nao=20

Finally this guy is a fantastic little box which not only hides the cables but also the surge protector, very recommended. http://www.containerstore.com/shop/dorm/desk/cordControl?productId=10028020&green=EC6AA9D5-2881-5856-91F1-FAA8C19C3D0D

Hope these help!

reson8er

Quote from: guest on 06/05/2014, 03:18 PMI shove 'em back behind the furniture, act like they don't exist, then punch a squirrel when I go to move something and have to untangle the rat's nest.

It helps that I have a relatively modest set of goodies set up, but if I weren't so lazy I'd tie up cables like xele and maybe hide it all in some wire looms.
haha, I did that too for a long time! It works until the day you have to rearrange stuff then you get this:

/14353258584_114e2305c0_c.jpg

munchiaz

thanks for all the Reson8er. Any of you guys have suggestions on a shelf that can fit a 19" PVM and a 22" widescreen monitor, plus 12 consoles.

Nando

Quote from: munchiaz on 06/05/2014, 03:49 PMthanks for all the Reson8er. Any of you guys have suggestions on a shelf that can fit a 19" PVM and a 22" widescreen monitor, plus 12 consoles.
how much are you looking at spending?

munchiaz

Quote from: Nando on 06/05/2014, 04:18 PM
Quote from: munchiaz on 06/05/2014, 03:49 PMthanks for all the Reson8er. Any of you guys have suggestions on a shelf that can fit a 19" PVM and a 22" widescreen monitor, plus 12 consoles.
Arouns $100 maybe

PunkCryborg

I gave up a long time ago and only hook up what im playing at the moment

Nando

Quote from: munchiaz on 06/05/2014, 04:26 PM
Arouns $100 maybe
May have to increase your budget a bit more if you want all your stuff out.  Check out Staples, they have some interesting takes on game furniture. You could probably mix and match a few of their things to suit your needs.

or with a few trips to the hardware/lumber store and some planning, you may be able to put together something like this for around a hundred, probably a bit more but not much. Maybe...

IMG

esteban

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 06/05/2014, 04:32 PMI gave up a long time ago and only hook up what im playing at the moment
I rotate systems...it's actually a very nice solution because it forces me to play different libraries and consoles (otherwise, I'd spend all my time on PCE and Famicom). I can't tell you how much fun it was to play SMS and 2600 last 2-3 months...lots and lots of fun showing my daughter old games.

Also, since I have a bunch of handhelds, I still have a variety of platforms to play to mix things up when necessary.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: reson8er on 06/05/2014, 03:18 PM
Quote from: munchiaz on 06/05/2014, 02:17 PMSo i just moved into a new home and have to set up my new game room. I am now in a loft area with more space, and really want to make the wiring set up as clean and easy to work with as possible. So what do you guys do for wiring management? Do you guys have certain tools or things you use to help in this regard? If you guys have pics that would help as well.

I personally use the following:
Great for identifying a your plugs http://www.containerstore.com/shop/dorm/desk/cordControl?productId=10019508&N=80178

Great for general cable routing, reusable and color coded making hot swapping easier http://www.containerstore.com/shop/dorm/desk/cordControl?productId=10004583&N=80178&Nao=20

Great for when cables come together, a bit of a pain though if you have to re-do. http://www.containerstore.com/shop/dorm/desk/cordControl?productId=10011728&N=80178&Nao=20

Finally this guy is a fantastic little box which not only hides the cables but also the surge protector, very recommended. http://www.containerstore.com/shop/dorm/desk/cordControl?productId=10028020&green=EC6AA9D5-2881-5856-91F1-FAA8C19C3D0D

Hope these help!
Those are some spiffy little details.  That whole site is pretty cool, I never knew there was a whole store devoted to containers and organization. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Nando

Found this setup that seems kinda cool, and way expensive

/AD06-10001_popup.jpg

http://www.thelibrarystore.com/product/ad06-10001/gaming_furniture

munchiaz

Quote from: Nando on 06/05/2014, 05:08 PM
Arouns $100 maybe
May have to increase your budget a bit more if you want all your stuff out.  Check out Staples, they have some interesting takes on game furniture. You could probably mix and match a few of their things to suit your needs.

or with a few trips to the hardware/lumber store and some planning, you may be able to put together something like this for around a hundred, probably a bit more but not much. Maybe...

IMG
Yeah i dont think i have the wood working skills or time to make a shelf like that, and that shelf is a bit much for me. I think if i can fit around 10 consoles under the TV shelf i will be good, the other ones can be placed on top of the shelf and the PVM monitor. I plan on taking a trip to Ikea this weekend, ill also give staples a check.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: esteban on 06/05/2014, 05:16 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 06/05/2014, 04:32 PMI gave up a long time ago and only hook up what im playing at the moment
I rotate systems...it's actually a very nice solution because it forces me to play different libraries and consoles (otherwise, I'd spend all my time on PCE and Famicom). I can't tell you how much fun it was to play SMS and 2600 last 2-3 months...lots and lots of fun showing my daughter old games.

Also, since I have a bunch of handhelds, I still have a variety of platforms to play to mix things up when necessary.
Exactly. Once I hook up a system it's there for a month or two and I end up focusing on that one console for a while

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Nando on 06/05/2014, 05:08 PM
Arouns $100 maybe

IMG
Dude I have been a fan of your YouTube vids for awhile love your set up....very museum like but play friendly.