@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Famicom Twin

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/05/2014, 06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

So I am interested once again in buying one of these systems.   They to me seem like the best bang for the buck..it's famicom it is a disk layer it makes Julian fries. 

But which one to get....thanks to recommendations there are a few for sale ranging from $140, $180 and $200 at windy games.

But I would like advice from someone here who has or uses these things.

Price all these prices are fair game and honestly I just like the look of the red one. It's at $200 and I don't know if it is due to condition that it is a red one or what have you...I just like it looks like the sports cars of famicoms.

Modding and use in a us tv be it modern or old CRT.  What are my options for video out put!  Does this come out of the box with av or RGB? Or rf coaxial?  Are there modes for it? 

The controls see, wired in like the original famicom ....deal breaker or once again modes to allow plug and play with other NES controllers? 

Any typical issues with the system I need to be mindfull of?  Things I could send to a moder to fix and sprua up if I were to kid it in any way.

Lastly recommendations for games. Biped it disk or famicom. I have a few already as I use a super8 to pay famicom games on my SNES: kid Dracula, Splaterhouse naughtyngrafiti, devil world, gradius

Would like to get others like a complete Rockman set and a few others like Metroid and Zelda on the disk system..

PunkCryborg

First check this out http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sharp+twin+famicom

The only differences are the ones with the straight band across have turbo switches built into the controllers and they usually are harder to find and are more expensive. Just make sure you get one that has been serviced with a new belt for the disk or be prepared to do it yourself

There's an extra controller port for a different pad if you choose to do so, it's not the same plug type as a av fami or us nes.

It has AV out like a NES or RF.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 06/05/2014, 06:43 PMFirst check this out http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sharp+twin+famicom

The only differences are the ones with the straight band across have turbo switches built into the controllers and they usually are harder to find and are more expensive. Just make sure you get one that has been serviced with a new belt for the disk or be prepared to do it yourself

There's an extra controller port for a different pad if you choose to do so, it's not the same plug type as a av fami or us nes.

It has AV out like a NES or RF.
Thanks for the advice

Although I could google I preffer to hear what others who collect play and own a twin famicom have to say versus a Wikipedia page on the subject.

Gao

It comes with composite out, which should work fine any US TV that takes that.  The controller cord length does blow, but there is a connector for third party controllers.  However, it's not directly compatible with US controllers, though Google informs me that some people have made mods. For issues with the console, make absolutely sure they've tested the disk drive.  The original belts basically melt with age (seriously, I tried changing one once, and I had to scrape it out), so any Twin Famicom will have to have been repaired at some point to work now.

For recommendations, Ai Senshi Nicole is a great overhead action game from Konami.  It plays a lot like the overhead parts of The Guardian Legend.  Hudson's Binary land is the big hidden gem of the first few years of the Famicom and one of my favorite games on the console.  Even if you already have cart versions, it's worth grabbing the disk versions of Metroid and Kid Icarus if you like those games at all, since they have better music and save your game rather than requiring passwords.

Medic_wheat

Wow that's really helpfully an thanks...

I will research that hidden gem you mentioned. Once again thanks.....

So the belts sorta melt....interesting.

TheClash603

These systems are fragile.  I have two and both are broken...  :(

SuperDeadite

Get the Turbo Twin.  It's built a bit better, and get one with the drive already working.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Ninja Spirit

I have the black body, red face....

I'm suddenly starting to lose trust in the FDS drive.

Gall Force and Arumana no Kiseski run with no problem and all my other games spit error 27's like mad.
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 06/06/2014, 09:40 AMGet the Turbo Twin.  It's built a bit better, and get one with the drive already working.
That's the black/green face right? I want that one....

SuperDeadite

The Turbo is in Black/Green and Red/Blue.  Mine is the Red/Blue.  The Red is a bit more orangish then the standard Red Twin.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite