@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

That movie you just watched

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/09/2014, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

Breakfast Club lol

it was just as goofy as last time

Too bad ally sheedy stopped being hot.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gypsy

Quote from: blueraven on 10/20/2017, 03:46 PMUnrelated note:

I know the guy who worked on building the movie sets back in the 1970's for Battlestar Galactica... And he still has the original painting that became the movie poster...
That's pretty awesome.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2017, 03:48 PMBreakfast Club lol

it was just as goofy as last time

Too bad ally sheedy stopped being hot.
LIES! BE NICE TO MOM!!!1!
IMG

Groover

Beetlejuice
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Edward Scissorhands

Started with Beetlejuice wanting the holiday mood. Then Pee Wee because it was before. Then Edward to round it out. Love Tim Burton.
IMG

Bloufo

Watched Pacific Rim with the kids. 3D glasses and all.

I don't know why but I quite enjoyed this.
Not really into the robot/mech thing, but del Toro pulled everything off with some style.

crazydean

Quote from: Bloufo on 10/23/2017, 01:07 PMWatched Pacific Rim with the kids. 3D glasses and all.

I don't know why but I quite enjoyed this.
Not really into the robot/mech thing, but del Toro pulled everything off with some style.
I really enjoyed it too. I'm not much interested in mechs either, so expectations were low going in. Overall, I'd watch it again, and I'm looking forward to the sequel next year.

Gypsy

The Rules of the Game (FR, 1939, black and white)

8.5/10

Really good movie.

It's a biting commentary/critique on French society thinly veiled as a comedy. It's quite straight forward.

Of note: the Criterion blu is quite good considering the source material (mono audio and the film itself had to be reconstructed as the French destroyed the negatives in WWII).

Gypsy

Psycho Punch

IMG

3/5. The underlying message is very relatable, making this movie a very depressing one. There are some questionable choices here and too many unecessary depictions of rape which almost makes this movie feel like exploitation garbage at times (which makes this hard to recommend)... the rest of the package is good and salvages the movie though.

Beat Takeshi plays a tiny role here as "A man at a race horse track". Guess he wasn't very famous as a serious actor by then.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Medic_wheat

I just watched Dispicable Me 3 yesterday with my son at the dollar theater.

For the price it was enjoyable.

I know it got some bad reviews however at times I feel the initial price of admission can factor into ones enjoyment.

Sometimes watching a movie on the cheap. Or buying a video game on the cheap can allow the viewer/gamer to be more forgiving of its flaws.

With hat said my son loved the movie. He was very engaged throughout and made the cutiest comments.

Gypsy

Good Morning (1959, JP)

Really enjoyed it.

Bloufo

Was browsing a thrift store the other day and came upon a few old movies on LaserDisc.
One of them (Runaway Train) looked interesting enough so I fired up the old LD player and popped the disc in.

I find out that it's based on a screenplay by Akira Kurosawa, which of course is a good start.
It's centered around a runaway train but at the same time, the actual train is more of a backdrop for the movie. The true story is about the two criminals and their destiny.

Tight, intelligent thriller. Top performance by Jon Voight.

P.S.
Danny Trejo's first start in movies.

LostFlunky

Time Bandits (1981)   

I hadn't seen it since the late 80's..  Much better than I remembered.  It's been a while since I watched a Gilliam movie.  I can't get over how much he puts into the sets and costumes - no wonder he goes over budget..

Gypsy

The set pieces were one of the best parts of David Lynch's Dune.

Gypsy

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 10/31/2017, 11:08 PMThe Rules of the Game (FR, 1939, black and white)

8.5/10

Really good movie.

It's a biting commentary/critique on French society thinly veiled as a comedy. It's quite straight forward.

Of note: the Criterion blu is quite good considering the source material (mono audio and the film itself had to be reconstructed as the French destroyed the negatives in WWII).
Ha! I watched this many, many moons ago.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 11/03/2017, 03:31 AMWas browsing a thrift store the other day and came upon a few old movies on LaserDisc.
One of them (Runaway Train) looked interesting enough so I fired up the old LD player and popped the disc in.

I find out that it's based on a screenplay by Akira Kurosawa, which of course is a good start.
It's centered around a runaway train but at the same time, the actual train is more of a backdrop for the movie. The true story is about the two criminals and their destiny.

Tight, intelligent thriller. Top performance by Jon Voight.

P.S.
Danny Trejo's first start in movies.
Dude, Runaway Train is utterly fantastic.

I watched this as a little kid when it first debuted on cable (pay) tv...I was blown away.

20 years later I watch it again—it still kicked my ass.

Psycho Punch

This is still a very good action movie and a big contrast in regards to its brainless sequels. Not much I can say without repeating what everyone knows already about this movie.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:

Gypsy

Sanjuro. Is gud, is guud.

NecroPhile

Last night I watched Mr. Bean's Holiday.   :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

Rowan Atkinson is a dude that just knows comedy. Blackadder II, the third and goes fourth would have to be my favourites.

gheebee

Every year I watch more or less the same Christmas movies (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Black Christmas, Silent Night Deadly Night, and the TPB Christmas Special) but this year I added a new one to the lineup, To All a Goodnight. I didn't remember caring for this one when I saw it on VHS but after watching the BD last night I kind of wonder why that is. While it's not the best Christmas slasher I found that it does move at a fairly decent pace and has a decent body count with a couple of pretty cool kills; the story is a little generic but overall not bad either. It's no Silent Night Deadly Night but, imo, it's definitely worth a look if you're into 80s Christmas slashers!
Trivia: This was the first role for Jennifer Runyon, who would later star in Charles in Charge (Gwendolyn), and it is also the only full-length feature directed by David Hess (of Last House on the Left fame).

Also checked out another 80s Christmas slasher (sort of...) that I'd never seen or heard of before: 3615 Code Père Noël (aka "Deadly Games" and "Game Over") and was pretty entertained by it in spite of it's somewhat slow start, low body count, and mostly off-screen violence. It's the story about a kid at home in his family's mansion/castle on Christmas Eve with his somewhat feeble and half-blind Grandpa. He talks to some crazy guy on some Santa chat room and the guy figures out where he lives and tries to kill him. The boy, using improvised traps, attempts to defend himself and his grandfather from the killer Santa. The story is pretty decent and the atmosphere is really cool, it's one of those movies where I almost feel like I'm there in the setting and like being there.
If the plot of that one sounds a lot like Home Alone you would not be alone in thinking that because apparently the director threatened to sue the makers of Home Alone, which came out a year later, over the similarities between the two movies. Now I want to watch Home Alone...

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 12/22/2017, 09:53 AMEvery year I watch more or less the same Christmas movies (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Black Christmas, Silent Night Deadly Night, and the TPB Christmas Special) but this year I added a new one to the lineup, To All a Goodnight. I didn't remember caring for this one when I saw it on VHS but after watching the BD last night I kind of wonder why that is. While it's not the best Christmas slasher I found that it does move at a fairly decent pace and has a decent body count with a couple of pretty cool kills; the story is a little generic but overall not bad either. It's no Silent Night Deadly Night but, imo, it's definitely worth a look if you're into 80s Christmas slashers!
Trivia: This was the first role for Jennifer Runyon, who would later star in Charles in Charge (Gwendolyn), and it is also the only full-length feature directed by David Hess (of Last House on the Left fame).

Also checked out another 80s Christmas slasher (sort of...) that I'd never seen or heard of before: 3615 Code Père Noël (aka "Deadly Games" and "Game Over") and was pretty entertained by it in spite of it's somewhat slow start, low body count, and mostly off-screen violence. It's the story about a kid at home in his family's mansion/castle on Christmas Eve with his somewhat feeble and half-blind Grandpa. He talks to some crazy guy on some Santa chat room and the guy figures out where he lives and tries to kill him. The boy, using improvised traps, attempts to defend himself and his grandfather from the killer Santa. The story is pretty decent and the atmosphere is really cool, it's one of those movies where I almost feel like I'm there in the setting and like being there.
If the plot of that one sounds a lot like Home Alone you would not be alone in thinking that because apparently the director threatened to sue the makers of Home Alone, which came out a year later, over the similarities between the two movies. Now I want to watch Home Alone...
Ok, you have piqued my interest in 3615 Code Père Noë!!

I enjoy watching the first two DIE HARD films for XMAS (my wife and daughter consider them important XMAS films and I agree).

I want to rewatch the first two Silent Night Deadly Night films since I haven't seen them in decades, but they were quite enjoyable at the time (middle school).

I am not sure if I have ever watched To All A Good Night...

Gypsy

Princess Bride last night. Bluray for the first time for me. What a wonderful movie.

Psycho Punch

4/10 this movie sucks! Which is too bad because I remembered it being a lot more better. The plot is pointless and doesn't really go anywhere (it's basically "bronson gets mad and starts shooting muggers in random situations"), and the abysmal ending aggravates it. The soundtrack sucks. Bronson can't act. The movie is exploitative and it carries its pro-vigilante message in a very forced, heavy handed way. What a waste of time.

NightWolve

Ah, so Death Wish was a Dino de Laurentiis production. They made some of my favorite movies as a kid (both Conan the Barbarians, Red Sonja, etc).

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/23/2017, 01:15 AMAh, so Death Wish was a Dino de Laurentiis production. They made some of my favorite movies as a kid (both Conan the Barbarians, Red Sonja, etc).
Red Sonja!

I have to watch that again. Haven't seen it in ages.

My cousin, who is half my age, has never seen a Conan movie and it was hilarious when I tried to explain why the movies were so much fun.

James Earl Jones was awesome.

Nuff said.

Quote from: guest on 12/23/2017, 12:44 AM
4/10 this movie sucks! Which is too bad because I remembered it being a lot more better. The plot is pointless and doesn't really go anywhere (it's basically "bronson gets mad and starts shooting muggers in random situations"), and the abysmal ending aggravates it. The soundtrack sucks. Bronson can't act. The movie is exploitative and it carries its pro-vigilante message in a very forced, heavy handed way. What a waste of time.
Jeff Goldblum is so annoying, too.

I still remember the opening establishing shots from this film... the cars, even for me, seemed from another, more distant time. Granted, this must have been at the time of the DVD release. I had seen all the other Death Wish films when they were originally released.  But I had never seen the first one.

Anyways, the Death Wish where Bronson is a *farmer* has that amazing scene... gratuitous violence against melons. I don't think the series could top the "Melon Atrocity" ...

gheebee

Quote from: esteban on 12/22/2017, 03:47 PMOk, you have piqued my interest in 3615 Code Père Noë!!

I enjoy watching the first two DIE HARD films for XMAS (my wife and daughter consider them important XMAS films and I agree).

I want to rewatch the first two Silent Night Deadly Night films since I haven't seen them in decades, but they were quite enjoyable at the time (middle school).

I am not sure if I have ever watched To All A Good Night...
This year Die Hard 2 kicked off the Christmas movie viewings but after watching it I kind of wish I'd gone with the first one. Probably going to do Silent Night Deadly Night tonight or tomorrow.
3615 Code Père Noël can be had from Amazon.de but I think you'll need to be able to play region b BDs to watch it, unfortunately. It's a nice release; the label that put it out, Camera Obscura, always does an excellent job.

NecroPhile

More Rowan Atkinson for me over the weekend: Johnny English and Johnny English Reborn.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

seieienbu

Late to the party but I finally saw Deadpool.  I see why it got the praise that it did on release.  In an time when every single comic book movie was feeling the exact same, they managed to make a unique movie that was rated R and had its own feel.  I swear, almost every comic book character origin film follows the exact same cookie cutter plotline: "Main Character has good life and a friend.  MC realizes he's a dick.  MC becomes super hero.  Cut back to friend from earlier who is now villain backstabbing MC.  MC fights and wins and saves the day/world/universe."

I'm hoping for continued variance in the genre and it seems like we're getting it.  So, hurray?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Psycho Punch

I watched the new Jumanji last week. What a stupid movie, somewhat fun in a dumb way but very forgettable.

Gypsy

I went through the first 4 Alien movies recently. Resurrection is pretty retarded.

Watched Lawrence of Arabia last night for the first time in a long time. The visual quality of the bluray is stunning.

Psycho Punch

A long time ago I saw a glimpse of an asian movie on TV where convicted prisoners were assigned to a special forces unit... I then switched channels to watch something else, and came back to it at the very end where the (presumably) main characters were inside a bus and killed dramatically. I was intrigued by it but I couldn't find the name of the movie anywhere, not even on google.

You gotta appreciate how better google's search engine is nowadays. I got reminded of the movie today and simply by searching "prisoners in china special unit killed in the end in a bus" I finally found the damn movie. Silmido (aka Combat Unit 684 - the title I saw on TV): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387596/ (forgive me Koreans for confusing you with the Chinese ](*,) )

Don't know if the movie is actually good but I sure as hell am going to watch it after wanting to do so all these years.

Psycho Punch

Oh, by the way I just watched this piece of """"avant-garde"""" garbage.

IMG

WOW how subversive! 1 hour of an unentertaining re-dub of a cheesy kung-fu film where all characters are slogan spewing machines and the "hilarious" jokes come from obscure Situationist stuff and from a female narrator who does hilarious remarks during dialog-less scenes such as "Imbecile bearing a sack of petitions, justly trampled underfoot by the servants of the State." (we get it already, STATE CAPITALISM BAD), "There is no suspense, only a jerk would not know how this ends." (yes I'm wasting my time watching this thanks for the reminder) and "For this part please refer to 'bla bla bla something something'. pages xxx-xxx." (uhh no, fuck off lady. And yes, she does ask you to refer to one of their publications in the middle of the goddamn movie, I'm serious :lol:)

No I didn't watch the movie fully and I'll never will, I'd rather buy their back catalog of propaganda and eat page by page. That would have been more enjoyable than watching this trash that ironically undermines itself by being so propaganda filled to the point of feeling like a parody of what it's trying to parrot to the viewer.

IMG

This is obscure for a reason. A propaganda movie made by Situationists for Situationists, there is literally zero value for anyone not under their ideology. Maybe some hardcore leftist can find something here, I don't know and I certainly don't care. ZERO/10

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/28/2018, 01:23 AMA long time ago I saw a glimpse of an asian movie on TV where convicted prisoners were assigned to a special forces unit... I then switched channels to watch something else, and came back to it at the very end where the (presumably) main characters were inside a bus and killed dramatically. I was intrigued by it but I couldn't find the name of the movie anywhere, not even on google.

You gotta appreciate how better google's search engine is nowadays. I got reminded of the movie today and simply by searching "prisoners in china special unit killed in the end in a bus" I finally found the damn movie. Silmido (aka Combat Unit 684 - the title I saw on TV): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387596/ (forgive me Koreans for confusing you with the Chinese ](*,) )

Don't know if the movie is actually good but I sure as hell am going to watch it after wanting to do so all these years.
Ok, first, this story has given me hope I'll be able to find a few movies and songs that I have been hoping to find for years.

Second: you better believe I want to watch COMBAT UNIT 684 now. But first, I have to watch *Torque* for DragonmasterDan...

Third: tell us how really felt about the movie in your second post! I had never heard of it, so now I am very curious about it.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 01/28/2018, 02:08 AMOh, by the way I just watched this piece of """"avant-garde"""" garbage.

WOW how subversive! 1 hour of an unentertaining re-dub of a cheesy kung-fu film where all characters are slogan spewing machines and the "hilarious" jokes come from obscure Situationist stuff and from a female narrator who does hilarious remarks during dialog-less scenes such as "Imbecile bearing a sack of petitions, justly trampled underfoot by the servants of the State." (we get it already, STATE CAPITALISM BAD), "There is no suspense, only a jerk would not know how this ends." (yes I'm wasting my time watching this thanks for the reminder) and "For this part please refer to 'bla bla bla something something'. pages xxx-xxx." (uhh no, fuck off lady. And yes, she does ask you to refer to one of their publications in the middle of the goddamn movie, I'm serious :lol:)

No I didn't watch the movie fully and I'll never will, I'd rather buy their back catalog of propaganda and eat page by page. That would have been more enjoyable than watching this trash that ironically undermines itself by being so propaganda filled to the point of feeling like a parody of what it's trying to parrot to the viewer.

This is obscure for a reason. A propaganda movie made by Situationists for Situationists, there is literally zero value for anyone not under their ideology. Maybe some hardcore leftist can find something here, I don't know and I certainly don't care. ZERO/10
Ha, what in the actual fuck. How did you discover this?

I'm almost done with the Samurai trilogy. The power went out in the middle of the third one which annoyed me but I'll finish it today.

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 01/28/2018, 02:08 AMOh, by the way I just watched this piece of """"avant-garde"""" garbage.

IMG

IMG

haha these guys!
IMG

Gonna watch it on youtube

JoshTurboTrollX

I took my kiddos to see Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and it totally didn't suck!  Like, it had some cheesy moments, but honestly it played out like a pretty classic action flick that had some pretty well placed plot points.  It had some really funny moments too.

I'd recommend if you're looking for a fun popcorn action/comedy flick.  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Psycho Punch

edit: what the hell, the forums ate my reply. Nevermind.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/29/2018, 09:36 AMedit: what the hell, the forums ate my reply. Nevermind.
Unacceptable.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: esteban on 01/29/2018, 04:05 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 01/29/2018, 09:36 AMedit: what the hell, the forums ate my reply. Nevermind.
Unacceptable.
Justly trampled by forums software.

TheClash603

Since nobody asked...  My friends and I decided to do all the Oscar nominated movies in a 2 week period.  My rankings below:

1 Shape of Water
2 Phantom Thread
3 Three Billboards
4 Call Me by Your Name
5 Get Out
6 Lady Bird
7 Darkest Hour
8 The Post
9 Dunkirk

Now I can go back to watching trash and smut.

turboswimbz

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/09/2018, 08:34 AMSince nobody asked...  My friends and I decided to do all the Oscar nominated movies in a 2 week period.  My rankings below:

1 Shape of Water
2 Phantom Thread
3 Three Billboards
4 Call Me by Your Name
5 Get Out
6 Lady Bird
7 Darkest Hour
8 The Post
9 Dunkirk

Now I can go back to watching trash and smut.
Interested to see Get out so far down. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. made me wonder if I missed something
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

crazydean

Quote from: turboswimbz on 02/09/2018, 08:46 AMInterested to see Get out so far down. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. made me wonder if I missed something
I've also heard lots of great things. However, I started watching it and instantly found it incredibly predictable and boring. I continued watching, waiting for it to finally "get good", but stopped after 45 minutes. If a movie can't grab my attention within half an hour, it's not worth finishing.

If someone on here thought this movie was great, I'd love to heard why.

TheClash603

Quote from: crazydean on 02/10/2018, 12:13 AM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 02/09/2018, 08:46 AMInterested to see Get out so far down. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. made me wonder if I missed something
I've also heard lots of great things. However, I started watching it and instantly found it incredibly predictable and boring. I continued watching, waiting for it to finally "get good", but stopped after 45 minutes. If a movie can't grab my attention within half an hour, it's not worth finishing.

If someone on here thought this movie was great, I'd love to heard why.
Get Out was fun and I enjoyed it, but was surprised to see it lumped as one of the year's best or one of the greatest horror movies ever.

In my opinion 1-4 on my list are genuine Oscar worthy films and 5-9 have a pretty big dip in quality. Would be happy if they just went back to five nominees.

Best two movies of the year weren't even nominated.  The Handmaiden (Korean movie) and Blade Runner.

Bloufo

Apocalypto. (2006)

Gruesome stuff. Gibson is never content to show us just one or two decapitated heads bouncing down the steps of a temple when he can show us eight or nine.
The type of absolute fascination with gore that distracts from almost everything else the movie tried to do.

Warbucks

Gypsy

Being There

Great movie, I recommend it.

Psycho Punch

I still haven't watched that korean movie and that kung fu dub still haunts my mind at night.

NightWolve

"Black Panther."

Much hype with this one, didn't live up to it... It's so-so for action blockbuster popcorn flick, doubt I'd watch it again. I was bored at times.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching "Ready Player One" tonight instead!! :)