10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Sega Saturn Fiasco

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/10/2014, 11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

So I debated for a moment wheatear or not to share this particular attempted craigslist transaction, but after yesterday I figured what the hell.  It's for the LOL's after all.

So per usual I was searching craigslist for anything that looked like a good deal.  I live in a small town so I never expect anything, and the video game section is always flooded with current and last gen stuff.  I happened upon a listing for some systems, games all misalaniaous, but the seller had listed a Sega Saturn.  That interested me as I have a few games I have picked up but no system yet.  The seller did not have any pictures listed, but I txt'd him in any case. 

He responds saying he still had the system and was looking for $125, but states it is because he has 5 games for it.  I think Okay price is inflated, but maybe the games are worth it, so I ask him to send a picture of the system, and games.  Later that day he sends the pictures, and the system looks to be in good condition with a rental case which I think COOL it will match nicely with my N64 Rental case.  The 5 games listed are loose, common, and uninteresting shelf ware Sega Genesis games. 

Seller: "I don't have any saturn games just genesis, but the saturn plays both disk and cartridge".

I respond saying I couldn't do $125, as the system (with 2-3 games) typically ranges $65-75.  I also inform him that I did not want the games, and that the games do not work for the system.  He seller (wait let me type it off the cell phone).  I inform him that the Saturn used the cartridge slot for extra ram not to play genesis games as he seemed to think.

Seller: "Your wrong my friend.   That Saturn is hard to get and your prices are wrong.  I don't need ur money.  Thanks for the heads up about the games not working".

I then inform him that it's not about price or money; it's about his need to be completive.  In the last two months the town has two retro game stores that opened up, and other larger retro game stores 2 hours away.  I gently remind him that even on eBay his prices are largely over inflated for a system he can't even prove works unless the buyer has games.  I told him I'd be willing to go as high as $85 due to it having the rental case, but that I would prefer to test the system out at one of the retro game stores (the owners are cool with that as if the sell falls though they usually buy but at an even lower price point or offer more for store credit) before we exchange money. 

I even send the seller a picture of ANOTHER craigslist posting for a guy selling a Saturn complete in box with actual Saturn Games (including Nights into dreams Christmas edition and the weird controller for the game) for $70.  That seller is only an hour away of which I also contacted and will most likely buy his Saturn.

Seller: "Your wrong again.  Its about demand not actual value.  I know a lot of people that make that mistake.  You think I dont know that your gonna try your hardest to get it as cheap as possible.  THanks for your efforts but im to save for that.  Ill get my askign price and ill sleep good at night because ive learned that one man will pay 5 and another man will pay 50 for the same product.  Its all about deman.  Thanks again. Have a nice day.

I stated, look, of course I want it as cheap as possible, but I am not going to pay a premium when I can get it cheaper even WITH shipping.  Feel free to find some teenager or 12 year old willing to pay prices for things they know nothing about its value.  You might have a sentimental attachment or maybe like me collect gaming systems and games.  It's all good you'll find someone to pay your price MAYBE, but you are driving away local collectors and customer's and exhibiting a clear lack of understanding of the products you are selling.

Seller:  "Wrong again.  You better off not assuming you know me or how I run my business.  I sell for profits much higher than most sellers and I am confident in my strategy and I have never sold to a minor directly.  Trust me and take no offense.  I know what im doing!  Sentiment is something I have little of.

At this point I honestly broke out in tears laughing so hard.  The minor comment was to much, he makes this seem like we are selling dope lol...

WELL the transaction never happened the conversation ended, but I did snap a pic or two of my shelf o games, and arcade and said "It's cool man, but clearly you just burned bridges with part of the retro market in a town with less than 3,000 people"

I'll post pics later form the whole thing ....

NecroPhile

A craigslist seller with a high price and an unwillingness to negotiate?  The hell you say!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/10/2014, 11:49 AMA craigslist seller with a high price and an unwillingness to negotiate?  The hell you say!
Okay this made me LOL ..

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

WoodyXP

"I bathe in AES carts."

NecroPhile

Black Falcon just wants to sell his Saturn.  Let him be.

xcrement5x

My local Craigslist is full of guys like this dude, I just learned to let them do whatever and just ignore the postings with certain phone numbers on them.  Then there are the people that know they have a show piece and just try and gouge.  There's a dude near me trying to sell a copy of Snatcher for like $800, and it's far from mint. 

But, for all the bad posts there are still gems to be found.  Right now near me there's a guy selling a Saturn with all hookups and VC 1 for like $25.  Not bad a bad deal for someone looking (assuming it works), but I already have a system so no need for that. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Medic_wheat

Maybe we should make a garage sale/craigslist thread for good and bad finds?

just a thought.

NecroPhile

Such threads exist already, though they may be old.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/10/2014, 03:23 PMSuch threads exist already, though they may be old.
that wold require typing and searching with my grubby human hands...

oh if only i had cold mechanical robotic hands

pulstar

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/10/2014, 03:42 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/10/2014, 03:23 PMSuch threads exist already, though they may be old.
oh if only i had cold mechanical robotic hands
This can be arranged...hand me my saw
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

TR0N

I think you should have just made a wanted thread here instead  :wink:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

LostFlunky

The hard case does add a lot of value but it is still overpriced @ $125, not to mention the guy seems like a total douche.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 06/11/2014, 09:00 AMThe hard case does add a lot of value but it is still overpriced @ $125, not to mention the guy seems like a total douche.
True. I am not certain how much more the rental box would add as I dont activity search for such things unless they happen to be included.

Medic_wheat

/1401837620069_zpsw4qkxdxg.jpg

The five games if ledgend.

Medic_wheat

Medic_wheat

/20140609_162534_zpsaqqtvq80.jpeg

The near by listing shlwing his pricing was way off

But as we know I am wrong again lol

Medic_wheat

/20140610_001307_zpsyoj60emh.jpeg

Random pic of my living room

I hear the irining board is a rare variant.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/11/2014, 09:26 AM/20140610_001307_zpsyoj60emh.jpeg

Random pic of my living room

I hear the irining board is a rare variant.
WOah woah woah hold up here.  Did they release Weird Science the USA TV show on DVD?
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/11/2014, 11:44 AM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/11/2014, 09:26 AMWOah woah woah hold up here.  Did they release Weird Science the USA TV show on DVD?
Oh no (I wish!) that is a reprinting (black and white) of the EC comics's called (Weird Science)  I plan to pick up the rest of that library of re-released comics some day...or at lest get Vault of Horror, Tales from the Crypt, 2 Fisted Tales, and the other science fiction book series). ....

LostFlunky

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/11/2014, 09:23 AM/1401837561611_zps2myuvnwt.jpg

The system of kings but still no obey
That is an ex-Blockbuster rental, so it may or may not have had the shit pummeled out of it...

I bought one from Blockbuster back in '96 with a case, but not until the guy at the counter showed me the rental history of it..

It was in great cosmetic shape, but there was a sticky syrup all over the door and in the CD tray...

We looked at the history on his screen and it showed it had been rented once, and returned "damaged".  I guess the damage was that someone spilled Coke on it... 

He said he would clean it up and I could come back the next day to check it out.  When I came back, there was no trace of the dried up pop, and it was working fine.    Took it home and still have it now. 

I paid $100 back then, system, power and A/V cords, hard case and two controllers.

Medic_wheat

^^^what games do you have for it?  For me the majority of the systems good games never made it to the us.  Although I like that region moding it is as easy as buying that cartrige that sdds ex tee ra ram and allowed you to play import games.

So far I only have Earthworm Jim (half priced books for $35 a year ago), the arcade port of the dungeons and dragons game import japan, and a racing game with a sonic toy that hangs off the review mirror lol.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/11/2014, 09:26 AMI hear the ironing board is a rare variant.
Ha!  Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day.  :mrgreen:

geise

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/10/2014, 11:12 AMwhich I think COOL it will match nicely with my N64 Rental case.
LOL!!!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: geise on 06/11/2014, 08:31 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/10/2014, 11:12 AMwhich I think COOL it will match nicely with my N64 Rental case.
LOL!!!
Not sure why that made you LOL. But glade I made you smile. ....it is what I do.