@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Missteps of the "Video Game Critic"

Started by esteban, 06/13/2014, 02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

I apologize in advance if we already had a thread about this fellow.

I think we have. I vaguely recall discussing VGC on a forum at some point, anyway.

I'm not going to crucify this goofball because I disagree with some of his reviews...I just wonder how much time he actually spends with a game before he writes up his capsule "review"...

http://videogamecritic.com/t16sz.htm#Valis_III_(CD)
QuoteGRADE: D.

It's amazing how a game can be terrific on one system and lousy on another. The Genesis version of Valis III was an enthralling combination of swordplay and platform jumping, but on the Turbografx it's just exasperating. The game kicks off with an overwrought introduction conveyed with colorful (but mostly static) images and plenty of voice dialogue. You'd think the narrator would possess a deep voice to lend weight to the epic storyline, but instead you get some squeaky-voiced geek. The cut scenes are lengthy (probably to justify the CD format), and they periodically require a few seconds to load. Unless you're really into anime, you'll just want to hit the Run button and get on with it. Valis 3's gameplay is pretty standard. By switching control between various female characters, you slash your way through scenic lands filled with mythological creatures. The graphics are sharper than the Genesis version, but not as attractive. The city lights in particular look like crap. The pace of the game is faster, but the controls are far less forgiving. Whenever an enemy strikes you, you automatically roll back, often off the edge of a cliff! In the poorly designed second stage, I couldn't determine how to leap between a series of well-spaced ledges. After a bit of research, I discovered you actually have to slide between the ledges! Yes, slide across a chasm in mid-air. Idiotic stuff like that makes me want to slap an F on the game and be done with it. Valis 3 is also plagued by cheap and mandatory hits, making the game far more difficult than it should be. The soundtrack is of high quality, but the voice acting is vomit-inducing. Check out this dramatic exchange. Boss: "My intro was a bit flashy, but do you like it?" Yuko: "Why do you do something like that?" Boss: "Hey, ask your sword, Yuko." This game is a mess. If you have a choice, stick with the Genesis version.
STATUS: The Genesis version is for pussies. (OK, just kidding.) As I have argued umpteen times in the past, Valis III is the highlight of the series. The ledges he whines about are an example, IMHO, of *inspired* level design: initially, platforming obstacles *appear* to have a conventional solution (i.e. hop, hop, hop)...but experimenting with different characters rewards the player with alternative (and SUPERIOR) solutions to obstacles (i.e. SLIDE!). Moments like this JUSTIFY the existence of multiple characters with different abilities.

Furthermore, I don't think VGC was able to make any real progress in the game. I honestly don't think he played more than a few stages. Why? Well, he doesn't whine about the "infamous" extra stage in the TG/PCE version (you know the one...the gorgeous "ancient Grecian aqueduct" stage). Believe me, if he made it to this level, he most certainly would have complained about it. The extra stage in the TG/PCE version is challenging...but once you figure it out (and I did, back when the game was released, sans interwebz/game FAQs/magazine guides), you feel *genuine* satisfaction.

Valis III is not a perfect game, but it provides consistent fun (plus some genuinely wonderful moments)...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

I don't even want to start with all the vice versa critics..lol
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

TO ALL: Read this fellow's review of Alien Crush...

MrFlutterPie

I laughed when he had such difficulty with Cadash.  It's like one of two or three Turbo games I can beat lol.

However, with video games it's so subjective. For example I don't like Mega Man 2 (or any NES Mega Men) Thar series is super popular but there will always be somebody who doesn't like it even though the general consensus is that it is good.

On the flip side people often talk trash about Bad Street Brawler and Clatfighters 63 1/3.  These games often come up on worst games lists and discussion but I love them.  Another example of such differing from general opinion. 

In the end it all comes down to personal opinion.  Technically nobody is right or wrong as there will never be 100% agreement on any one game.

ToyMachine78

Tatsujin

but at least he gives some good revs to most of the excellent games.

he even likes za kan fuu!!
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

It doesn't sound like he spends much time with the games at all, so it's more 'first impressions' than 'personal opinion' based on sufficient experience, and he's all too often flat out wrong.  Look at Splash Lake for a good laugh - he thinks it's extremely difficult (even the first board) and lacks co-op play; and I bet y'all didn't know that Landis (LoT) is a mech.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

yeah sprash rake was hillarious., and it's true, he does't spend waste too much time on his gems, which are most probably emulation only anyway.

Tatsujin

Tatsujin

CrackTiger

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 06/13/2014, 08:31 AMI laughed when he had such difficulty with Cadash.  It's like one of two or three Turbo games I can beat lol.

However, with video games it's so subjective. For example I don't like Mega Man 2 (or any NES Mega Men) Thar series is super popular but there will always be somebody who doesn't like it even though the general consensus is that it is good.

On the flip side people often talk trash about Bad Street Brawler and Clatfighters 63 1/3.  These games often come up on worst games lists and discussion but I love them.  Another example of such differing from general opinion. 

In the end it all comes down to personal opinion.  Technically nobody is right or wrong as there will never be 100% agreement on any one game.
Working Designs games weren't sold in Canada, but a rental chain opened up with several Turbo games which were only available in the U.S.

I finished Cadash my first time through.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Cadash is very challenging if you are blindfolded.

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: guest on 06/13/2014, 11:37 AM
Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 06/13/2014, 08:31 AMI laughed when he had such difficulty with Cadash.  It's like one of two or three Turbo games I can beat lol.

Working Designs games weren't sold in Canada, but a rental chain opened up with several Turbo games which were only available in the U.S.

I finished Cadash my first time through.
I bought my copy of Cadash in 2012.

I played it as a kid on the arcade machine At a local Zellers.  I have searched for the name of that game for years before stumbling onto a Youtube video of the arcade. Once I had the name I realized that a great port was available for the Turbo.  I then remembered seeing a CIC at a local store and went down and picked it up.  I was so happy :D

Ninja FTW!!!!!!

*Haha I just found my old post another forum asking for help lol. 

Quote"Hey guys I want to figure out the name of an arcade game I played in the early 90's.  I believe it is pre 95.

All I can remember was you had 2 characters to choose from.  One was a ninja who threw little triangle darts and a guy who had a crossbow that fired a chain with a ball on the end.

One of the early bosses is a giant octopus and you fight him on docks with the octopus being in the water.

If anybody has a clue about what I'm talking about please post here.  I have been searching for the name for a couple of years now.

Thanks so much!"

BigusSchmuck

He doesn't like Guardian Heroes very much for the Saturn neither. http://videogamecritic.com/satfl.htm

Elder

As someone that reviews games all the time, I'm used to people having a different opinion than me, but there is such a thing as journalistic integrity.  I am a super strong proponent of finishing every game I review.  I never understood how someone can review a game if they haven't experienced everything it had to offer.  In modern games I finish the single player game, and then play online until I feel I've got a good enough essence of what the game had to offer in order to say my thoughts.  I've always felt reviews are nothing more than that, one's thoughts and opinions on a game.  So it's ok for people to disagree, but it's not ok to review a game if you only experienced 25% of it.  There's nothing wrong with saying Initial Impressions, but then don't call it a review.

That's my two cents on the subject anyways.  I much prefer reviewing retro games because I always put a spin on how they hold up today for someone in 2014 experiencing them for the first time.  Sometimes old games that many people love might not be so incredible to someone playing them for the first time today, but usually a true classic or gem will almost always hold up well.  To be honest I've been surprised lately by just how many hold up so well.  I've covered Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, and Star Parodier recently and all three play incredibly well today, just as they did way back when.  Those are the best types of reviews I enjoy tackling.

roflmao

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 06/13/2014, 05:03 PM
Quote"Hey guys I want to figure out the name of an arcade game I played in the early 90's.  I believe it is pre 95.

All I can remember was you had 2 characters to choose from.  One was a ninja who threw little triangle darts and a guy who had a crossbow that fired a chain with a ball on the end.

One of the early bosses is a giant octopus and you fight him on docks with the octopus being in the water.

If anybody has a clue about what I'm talking about please post here.  I have been searching for the name for a couple of years now.

Thanks so much!"
HA!  What an awesome recollection post!  Those descriptions are spot on for the characters (aside from the guy being a girl, but whatever).  I remember playing this a ton back in the arcades as well.  When I was in high school I had *1* friend who was also into the Turbografx-16 and we traded my Andre Panza Kickboxing for his Cadash.  At the time I didn't care for the TG version because it didn't seem very faithful to the arcade version, but I grew to love it anyway. :)

Gentlegamer

From what I've learned over the years, Dave (The Video Game Critic) has a generally short attention span, and a low threshold for difficulty in games. This is why he won't play RPGs, and gives surprisingly low grades for good games that are a bit challenging or difficult. I think he reserves his attention for digging into learning "complex" mechanics for sports games, which he is a big fan of.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/15/2014, 12:20 AMFrom what I've learned over the years, Dave (The Video Game Critic) has a generally short attention span, and a low threshold for difficulty in games. This is why he won't play RPGs, and gives surprisingly low grades for good games that are a bit challenging or difficult. I think he reserves his attention for digging into learning "complex" mechanics for sports games, which he is a big fan of.
Your kind and sensitive comments have dampened my ire. Thank you.  :pcgs:

Gentlegamer

Quote from: esteban on 06/15/2014, 06:24 AM
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/15/2014, 12:20 AMFrom what I've learned over the years, Dave (The Video Game Critic) has a generally short attention span, and a low threshold for difficulty in games. This is why he won't play RPGs, and gives surprisingly low grades for good games that are a bit challenging or difficult. I think he reserves his attention for digging into learning "complex" mechanics for sports games, which he is a big fan of.
Your kind and sensitive comments have dampened my ire. Thank you.  :pcgs:
Once you understand Dave's quirks and preferences, his reviews make more sense. He takes no stand of "authority" in his reviews, despite the high-sounding name "The Video Game Critic." I like his site because it covers every era, and the community gets just as excited about "new old games" as it does for the latest console launch. His latest reviews are of two homebrew Dreamcast games, that's pretty cool!
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

STIRRING THE POT: folks, this goofball awarded Alien Crush with a "D". Read his brief critique. Very sad.

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 06/17/2014, 09:25 AMSTIRRING THE POT: folks, this goofball awarded Alien Crush with a "D". Read his brief critique. Very sad.
That was the one I was goibg to mention when this thread was new. Too much to break down on a phone. He may love sports games, but he's clueless about gaming in general. Definitely not in a position to be reviewing most games. Should be titled "2 minute impressions and baseless assumptions" instead of VGC.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gentlegamer

He has a review feedback forum http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/?forum=39461

People disagree with him all the time, so feel free to leave your feedback.
IMG

NecroPhile

Why would I bother leaving feedback?  Most of the complaints are self-evident (or should be), and no amount of criticism would make a difference if he doesn't care to make honest, complete reviews.

Gentlegamer

Well, his "reviews" are really just a blog of the games he plays, despite the high-sounding name of "The Video Game Critic." And he actually does re-review games based on reader feedback. There was at least one TG-16 game he re-reviewed after readers told him to make sure the turbo switch was off, and it made a huge difference. Of course, it's pretty bone-headed to not know that, but he's just a dude like anyone, and we all do dumb stuff sometimes.
IMG

NecroPhile

So they're not really reviews but he'll 're-non-review' it?  Makes total sense.

Gentlegamer

As much sense as getting upset at what someone else thinks of a game!  #-o

He considers them reviews, the blog is my take on the matter.
IMG

NecroPhile

What makes you think I'm even remotely upset?

I'll stand by my original opinion: his reviews are often seemingly based on cursory attempts to play a game and/or riddled with inaccuracies.  I'll stick to better thought out reviews from Duomazov, PCE Bible, or Video Game Den and continue to ignore this guy.

tggodfrey

IMO.  this idiot and his opinion arent worth my time so in no way will I bother leaving him any feedback.  Anyone who doesnt take the time to become familiar with a games positive and negative points regardless of interested should be writing or posting any reviews or whatever you want to call them.  The whole concept is pathetic the try and justify quality of his "reviews" based on his interest or attention span. 

I can say there is probably a value to having him around........what was that saying about slinkies and stairs?
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

Arkhan Asylum

If your review is full of bias, you're a shitty reviewer.

GAEM IS HARD NOT SPORTS DON'T LIKE.  GRADE: F
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

I can't get past mech Landis.  The lost city of mech Landis.  :lol:

esteban

STIRRING THE POT: Google's algorithm put Video Game Twat ahead of quality reviews. I know that this is true of Google in general (that is, the top results are not necessarily = top quality), but damn, there must be a way for Google to account for "quality", otherwise...

I know, Master of Obvious complaint...

Sorry.

tggodfrey

Stupid people are like slinkys, not good for much but entertaining to push them down a flight of stairs.......
Games currently in play:

esteban

Quote from: tggodfrey on 06/17/2014, 07:45 PMStupid people are like slinkys, not good for much but entertaining to push them down a flight of stairs.......
...fun for a boy or a girl...

(Nulltard was singing that jingle in the other thread)

Mzo

My review of "basketball."

I found it very hard to perform even the basic actions.  Dribbling is required to traverse the field, but it was difficult to execute and often led to the ball bouncing off my feet and rolling away.  The developers should really fix such a glaring and obvious problem.

I also found the hoop height to be unnecessarily tall.  If they lowered it more people would be able to score and the game would be more fun.  This was a very stupid decision by the developers.

I put three hours of my life into this game and found it stupid and difficult.  I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Grade: D
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

tggodfrey

lol that reminds me of Lords of Dogtown when Jay Adams sings it in the kitchen.....
Games currently in play:

OldMan

What walks down stairs,
alone or in pairs,
and makes a slinkety sound?

A spring, A spring,
A marvelous spring.
Everone knows it's Slinky.

Quoteit's slinky
it's slinky
it's such a wonderful toy
it's fun for a girl or a boy
From Whammo!

....God I'm old...

tggodfrey

Games currently in play:

roflmao

it's log
it's log
it's big, it's heavy, it's wood

it's log
it's log
it's better than bad, it's good

Elder

Quote from: guest on 06/18/2014, 10:59 PMit's log
it's log
it's big, it's heavy, it's wood

it's log
it's log
it's better than bad, it's good
LOL!  I haven't heard that in years!  I miss that show.  Thanks for making my day lol.

Gentlegamer

If you want to see something funny, check out his review of the "hidden gem" China Warrior.  :D
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/19/2014, 06:49 PMIf you want to see something funny, check out his review of the "hidden gem" China Warrior.  :D
Hmmmm...can I resist this? Hmmm.....

blueraven

The reviewer is obviously a mindless toolbag.

If you're going to try and write like Lester Bangs and trash the stuff that you think is horrible, then you better at least make me laugh with your in-depth knowledge and observationsof why you think its bullshit.

Quote from: guest on 06/17/2014, 04:37 PMIf your review is full of bias, you're a shitty reviewer.

GAEM IS HARD NOT SPORTS DON'T LIKE.  GRADE: F
Exactly.

/thread