RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Favorite shooter stage

Started by Nando, 06/16/2014, 12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

Doing a little bit informal research here. 

Doesn't matter the console; what is/are your favorite stage(s) for your favorite shooters.

CrackTiger

Aeroblasters stage 1. Perfect balance of music, setting and design. Comfortably cruising along until a huge city blows up and then the real game begins.

R-Type stage 1. Probably the most iconic stage of any shooter, but also arguably of any game in general.

Gate of Thunder Dark City(?)/Stage 6. No explanation needed. The best hardcore start of a stage aesthetically.

Super Darius Zone B(?). The music and the "impossible-on-PCE" dual layer backgrounds with close quarters (even for the game itself) action make it the most memorable stage of a game that is very important to me.

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Nando

reson8er

Rez (PS2) Last stage >  Its bizarre and stunning history of the evolution of man. Stand out stage is a game where every stange is fantastic.

R-Type > Stages 1-3 are incredible. (I'm cheating I know) From the lead up music as the R9 hurtles into the stage to the gradual shift to the enemies mechanized stronghold, Stage 2 takes a drastic departure to an HR Geiger inspired nightmare and stage 3 where the stage is the boss was amazing.

Radiant Silvergun > Forget stage numbers but the stage where everything turns to a wireframe is awesome, also love the stage where its night time and you're flying over the city.

Einhander > The first stage is very cool, setting, music, boss, all of it is awesome.

I could probably list 20 or 30 more easily, let me know if you need :)

Otaking

Last Resort - Neo Geo - Stage 1 & 2 -
I couldn't make up my mind which was more impressive out of stage 1 or 2 so had to pick both.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Medic_wheat

I think you should post a pic of your fav stage as well

Pictur is worth a thousand words and all

esteban

Blazing Lazers — final stage. Double bass drum rocking music that ramps up as the challenge builds like a pressure cooker. It's a boss rush, but fun, because the early bosses are mostly easy, whereas the sequences between bosses can get really hectic.

Honorable mention: flying brain stage. It's just so fun. Easy, but I love the sound of brains getting hit (FULL OF BASS) and the eventual explosions are very satisfying. Hectic, hectic, blow up all the brains ASAP. Fun!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Nando

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/16/2014, 06:20 PMI think you should post a pic of your fav stage as well

Pictur is worth a thousand words and all
That would be pretty rocking

roflmao

R-Type - Level 1 - Such greatness all around.
R-Type - Level 3 - The end boss *is* the level.  What!? So excellent.

Spriggan - The red water(lava?) level with the bi-planes. Those effects shouldn't be possible on a standard CD game.  It puts some SCD games to shame.

Star Parodier - Level 1 - So colorful! And the changing backgrounds!

Too many other favorite stages to list.  I'm cutting myself off there. :)

TR0N

Darius Gaiden:stage one that freaking music.

Pulstar:Stage 3 really it's right out of konami life force.

R-type:Stage 3 i get a kick out of attacking that huge ship.

Speaking of that pulstar stage  :wink:
Pulstar : Arcade playthrough [Part 2]
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ClodBusted

Gradius  (PCE)
Just classic, I could play this level over and over, and over, and over...
The upbeat music rocks everytime, and the enemy formations are just perfect for trying a perfect score on a single level. (plays at 1:00)

R-Type II level 1 (Arcade, X360, PS3)
Comes close. I wish Irem would have ported this game to the PCE SuperCD-ROM². I bet there would be less slowdown and sprite flicker than the SNES' Super R-Type.

Bonus award:

Gokujo Parodius: Level 4 (Arcade, PS1, SAT)
For leaving a bad taste in my mouth. The Moai battleship from Parodius Da! makes a return, and it's still the same shameless rip-off from R-Type's level 3 batteship. Even the small flying enemies are reminding me of R-Type's cannon fodder enemy fighters. How great is that? :D I love Parodius! (plays at 10:00)

tggodfrey

Blazing Lazers Stage 3.  Lots of Power ups and stuff to shoot at.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

esteban

Quote from: tggodfrey on 06/17/2014, 08:19 AMBlazing Lazers Stage 3.  Lots of Power ups and stuff to shoot at.
Yup, and it is such a welcome relief after borefest stage 2.

BKAZING KAZWRS: another level I like a lot is the second "battleship" level. A lot of neat stuff going on and it actually can be slightly challenging at some moments. Very nice.

None of the bosses in BL are challenging, are they? Nope.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

sooooo many, can't decide :(
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Nando

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/17/2014, 08:49 AMsooooo many, can't decide :(
surely there are stages that come to mind first, more than others.

You guys rock! Thank you all!

Ninja Spirit

Fortress stages kick major ass!
Super R-Type Level 4

Last Resort (Final Stage)

CrackTiger

Just as I love jumping and platforming, which unfortunately became the least important aspect of platformers from the 16-bit gen onward, I also love constant dodging in shooters. In particular, scenes like the high speed tunnel in Aeroblasters and the similar stage in Gradius II. That kind of stuff is infinitely more thrilling for me than going fast in Sonic games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Nando

Quote from: guest on 06/18/2014, 01:59 PMI also love constant dodging in shooters. In particular, scenes like the high speed tunnel in Aeroblasters and the similar stage in Gradius II.
YES!

reson8er

Quote from: guest on 06/18/2014, 01:59 PMJust as I love jumping and platforming, which unfortunately became the least important aspect of platformers from the 16-bit gen onward, I also love constant dodging in shooters. In particular, scenes like the high speed tunnel in Aeroblasters and the similar stage in Gradius II. That kind of stuff is infinitely more thrilling for me than going fast in Sonic games.
Agreed, my favorite moments in shooters is when you're so lazer(!) focused that if you took a moment to think about what is going on, you'd be dead. Happens a lot with bullet hell type shooters but PCE games def. have their share of those moments.