OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

I'm in Bremen, Germany.

Started by CPTRAVE, 06/21/2014, 06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPTRAVE

Hey, anyone knows if there are any retro game stores in Bremen Germany?

Tatsujin

nope sorry, never went to bremen. too scaried of the bremen town musicians!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

ClodBusted

LOL, Tats. :D

Haven't been there either. But how about Xgames? This looks interesting: http://www.xgames.eu/de/?s=08-0&id=118
If you've been there, please let us know if it was worth a visit. Cheers.

schweaty

having lived in germany for almost 2 years now.  my experience is everything here (and europe for that matter) is much pricier compared to the states.  not sure if its the weak dollar, the tax system, high cost of living, or a mix of all of it, but unless its something you absolutely will never see again, it can be had for less through the internet or back in the states

CPTRAVE

I will definitely try to make it to the xgames store.
And yes Europe is pricier.

technozombie

19% tax or whatever insane amount it is that's built into the price doesn't help either.

BlueBMW

Yeah but dont Europeans get like 4-6 weeks vacation a year etc?  From what Ive heard, Europeans dont get as much "stuff" as we do in America but they live happier and simpler lives.  I wonder if they need any BMW mechanics in Germany... :-k
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

ClodBusted

Well, from what I've heard you can get your work beer from vending machines at BMW Dingolfing. Does that sound tempting?
 :wink:

BlueBMW

Haha perhaps!  Though Im really a Coca Cola addict and apparently Coke is expensive everywhere else in the world but America...  Maybe because they use real sugar everywhere else..
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

wildfruit

UK sales tax is 20%. I get 5 weeks and 2 days paid holiday. And cola is not expensive! Pepsi and coke are always on offer in the local supermarket 4 litres for £2 or so. Or 16 330ml cans for £4-£5.

BlueBMW

Ive also heard that cars and petrol are much more costly in Europe... But then again they got all the cool cars that we didnt...  Like these...  They never sold BMW e30 tourings in the states which makes me a sad puppy... Apparently Canadia got them but we didnt :(

IMG

wildfruit

Quote from: BlueBMW on 06/22/2014, 10:54 AMIve also heard that cars and petrol are much more costly in Europe... But then again they got all the cool cars that we didnt...  Like these...  They never sold BMW e30 tourings in the states which makes me a sad puppy... Apparently Canadia got them but we didn't.
Guy I used to work with has an e34 touring from 1989 still going strong. Petrol is £1.27 for a litre ($8.17 per us gallon) diesel is about £1.32 a litre (about $8.5 per us gallon)

BlueBMW

Yeah gas is still $4 a gallon or less here... We are quite spoiled...

schweaty

wildfruit is right.  coke is actually fairly cheap here.  gas will cost you a vital organ (hope you have 2)

BlueBMW

Maybe I'm thinking of Australia.. coke was really expensive there for some reason.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: wildfruit on 06/22/2014, 11:05 AMPetrol is £1.27 for a litre ($8.17 per us gallon) diesel is about £1.32 a litre (about $8.5 per us gallon)
Oh, my lanta.
IMG

jeffhlewis

The last time I was on vacation in the Carribean, Coca-Cola was more expensive than rum. So we drank rum instead. True story.

NecroPhile

Bremen, eh?  Head down to 14th and Sauerbraten Strasse to the Spielenundlederhosenverkausladenheit.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CPTRAVE on 06/21/2014, 06:01 AMHey, anyone knows if there are any retro game stores in Bremen Germany?
I hear there's one called Das Hitler or something.  They only sell Jaguar CD though.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CPTRAVE

Well I found a retro game store in bremhaven but they were closed.  I looked through the window and saw a few famicom games N64, gamecubes and other systems. I did not realize most stores  were closed on Sundays. Now I am back in the U.S.
Buying softdrinks in Germany at restaurants are expensive and they don't give you much and you don't get any refills.  :shock:

HailingTheThings

Quote from: CPTRAVE on 06/25/2014, 08:27 PMBuying softdrinks in Germany at restaurants are expensive and they don't give you much and you don't get any refills.  :shock:
What.
IMG

ClodBusted

Better not go to Switzerland if you think Germany is expensive.

imparanoic

Quote from: CPTRAVE on 06/21/2014, 06:52 PMI will definitely try to make it to the xgames store.
And yes Europe is pricier.
Europe is more expensive as pc engine/turbo  has never been released officially in Europe, thus, it's an import only console, while in the states or asia, it's not as rare

NecroPhile

Turbob was officially released in Europe.  Why do peeps keep saying it wasn't?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

wildfruit

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2014, 11:01 AMTurbob was officially released in Europe.  Why do peeps keep saying it wasn't?
Damn straight it was.
Complete with spelling mistake ON THE BOX.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: wildfruit on 06/27/2014, 01:48 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/27/2014, 11:01 AMTurbob was officially released in Europe.  Why do peeps keep saying it wasn't?
Damn straight it was.
Did not know this.
IMG

wildfruit

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/28/2014, 01:11 AM
Damn straight it was.
Did not know this.
I think it was in Spain but I may be wrong. UK must have been planned for as all the box and documentation is in English.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: wildfruit on 06/28/2014, 03:15 AM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/28/2014, 01:11 AM
Damn straight it was.
Did not know this.
I think it was in Spain but I may be wrong. UK must have been planned for as all the box and documentation is in English.
Know if there is an official list for games released in PAL territories? Kinda wondered about this for a while.
IMG

wildfruit

To my knowledge no. There must be someone in the world who has the definitive story on what happened. All the games I have are just US/JP and run a bit slow. Except bomberman 94 inexplicably seems to run at correct speed.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: wildfruit on 06/29/2014, 12:29 AMTo my knowledge no. There must be someone in the world who has the definitive story on what happened. All the games I have are just US/JP and run a bit slow. Except bomberman 94 inexplicably seems to run at correct speed.
Oh wow, I had no idea there were compatibility issues, thought the US Hues at least ran fine without modding. holy efffers.
IMG

ClodBusted

Technically, there are no "PAL" games for the official PAL Turbografx. Those sold here were just US Turbochips. The CPU of the PAL console was clocked down for PAL-50Hz and the RF output was modified to PAL colour. I think these systems were sold in the UK?

Then as far as I know there was some France based distributor called Sodipeng, which did just imports of the PC Engine. I guess they added PAL RF output or RGB output as simple modifications if needed. Maybe even in PAL-60Hz to retain the original speed of the games, which were simply Japanese or US imports. But I don't think Sodipeng was officially sanctioned by NEC or Hudson.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 06/29/2014, 01:30 AMTechnically, there are no "PAL" games for the PAL Turbografx. Those sold here were just US Turbochips. The CPU of the PAL console was clocked down and the RF output to match PAL 50Hz and the RF outputs PAL color. I think these systems were sold in the UK?

Then as far as I know there was some France based distributor called Sodipeng, which did just imports of the PC Engine. I guess they added PAL RF output or RGB output as well if needed. Maybe even in PAL-60Hz to retain the original speed of the games, which were simply Japanese or US imports. But I don't think Sodipeng was officially sanctioned by NEC or Hudson.

Interesting.
IMG

ClodBusted

Konsolenkost from Germany still sells PAL Turbografx consoles, complete with box. The price was quite nice, around 100 € with a loose copy of Blazing Lazers or Keith Courage when I checked their site last year. I almost bought one, but refrained when I learned about the system's slower speed. I have no idea if it is compatible with the US TurboCD and other attachments.

Edit: The PAL TG features a slightly redesigned appearance, even the controller is ever so slightly different from the US Turbopad.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 06/29/2014, 01:51 AMKonsolenkost from Germany still sells PAL Turbografx consoles, complete with box. The price was quite nice, around 100 € with a loose copy of Blazing Lazers or Keith Courage when I checked their site last year. I almost bought one, but refrained when I learned about the system's slower speed. I have no idea if it is compatible with the US TurboCD and other attachments.

Edit: The PAL TG features a slightly redesigned appearance, even the controller is ever so slightly different from the US Turbopad.
I knew about some of the differences between the US and PAL Turbo systems. Like how they dropped the 16 on the logo and how blue and red is used instead of orange and yellow. Also how it has composite video without a booster. that's about it though. I want to say I learned those small details from this youtuber:

Turbografx World - Episode 5: Legendary Axe 2

He seems to be an alright guy, doesn't put up new content that often, though. I enjoy his voice.
IMG

wolfman

Quote from: guest on 06/29/2014, 01:30 AMTechnically, there are no "PAL" games for the official PAL Turbografx. Those sold here were just US Turbochips. The CPU of the PAL console was clocked down for PAL-50Hz and the RF output was modified to PAL colour. I think these systems were sold in the UK?

Then as far as I know there was some France based distributor called Sodipeng, which did just imports of the PC Engine. I guess they added PAL RF output or RGB output as simple modifications if needed. Maybe even in PAL-60Hz to retain the original speed of the games, which were simply Japanese or US imports. But I don't think Sodipeng was officially sanctioned by NEC or Hudson.

Afaik you are correct. There have been OFFICIAL imports in several countries, as well as "grey" ones.
German units had been modified to output PAL composite, since the booster wasn´t available until late into the console lifespan. I remember articles in german games magazines depicting pictures of that modified units. They were modified by the importing company in small numbers, since it always was a niche market. Games were rare back then as well.

And yes, the Sodipeng story is true as well - I remember that this is the french name for the SCART cable in France  :wink:
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
-------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-------------------------------------------------------------

ClodBusted

Thanks for confirming. I don't have first hand experience with that stuff, so it's always nice to see what you guys know. Please point out any errors of mine if you see them.

I think SCART is a France abbreviation for a association of TV manufacturers. But not related to Sodipeng (which itself is a France abbreviation for a association of PC Engine importers).

I think the Wikipedia article of SCART mentions the full name, and Sodipeng should be easy to google too.