RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

That TV Series You're Watching

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/22/2014, 08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomMacbeth

I know there are Tim & Eric fans here...has anyone seen watching Bedtime Stories?

If you haven't, find the episode called Angel Boy & watch it immediately. 

I TOLD YOU NOT TO GET ME WET.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Sadler

I've been digging both Dark Matter and Killjoys recently. I tried to watch Humans and but got bored maybe 20 minutes into the first episode. Everyone seems to think it's awesome though, so I should probably give it another shot.

Also been working my way through The X-Files again.

munchiaz

started watching season 2 of X files last night with the girlfriend

SplatterTrigger

Finished off season 2 of True Detective. Overall I was quite underwhelmed.

esteban

Quote from: SplatterTrigger on 08/23/2015, 02:12 PMFinished off season 2 of True Detective. Overall I was quite underwhelmed.
I don't know why so many folks are not enjoying the second season of True Detective, but my friends and family feel the same as you.

IMHO, there was only one episode, where ONE SEQUENCE was lame: the sequence where they raided the EYES WIDE SHUT sex party and accomplished certain things (no spoilers).

Personally, this was the only time where the series veered into a totally different vibe (a "Mission Impossible" vibe) that was incongruous with the first two seasons.

It definitely has something to do with personal tastes—I think a lot of people had an easier time getting lost in the "Southern Gothic" elements of the first season, and were disappointed that it was replaced by the grime and dreariness of urban/suburban (Southern?) California.

Anyway, it reminded me of a lot of cities I know in Southern California.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SplatterTrigger

Quote from: esteban on 08/25/2015, 03:55 PM
Quote from: SplatterTrigger on 08/23/2015, 02:12 PMFinished off season 2 of True Detective. Overall I was quite underwhelmed.
I don't know why so many folks are not enjoying the second season of True Detective, but my friends and family feel the same as you.

IMHO, there was only one episode, where ONE SEQUENCE was lame: the sequence where they raided the EYES WIDE SHUT sex party and accomplished certain things (no spoilers).

Personally, this was the only time where the series veered into a totally different vibe (a "Mission Impossible" vibe) that was incongruous with the first two seasons.

It definitely has something to do with personal tastes—I think a lot of people had an easier time getting lost in the "Southern Gothic" elements of the first season, and were disappointed that it was replaced by the grime and dreariness of urban/suburban (Southern?) California.

Anyway, it reminded me of a lot of cities I know in Southern California.
I honestly felt the storyline(s) were too condensed at times. I think if it went say another 2/3 episodes it would have fleshed out a bit more. I loved the cast. I can't compare it to the first season though since I haven't watched it yet.

Otaking

Just started watching Firefly.
It flew under my radar when it was released, but recently I saw it ranked high on a best sci-fi series list so thought to check it out.
Not fully sure what I think of it just yet as only seen the first episode, seems a little cheesy so far but I'll give it more of a chance.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

TR0N

Started to watch daredevil on netflik finally damn the show can be rather brutal  :shock:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

seieienbu

Watched the first episode of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert.  I watched Letterman occasionally for many years and am kinda sad that he's not on TV anymore.  Likewise I liked Colbert a lot on his old show.  That being said, I liked the first episode of the Late Show and will probably continue to occasionally watch it like I did Letterman.

What I didn't like though?  No top ten list.  I realize that it's not exactly the new same show as it was before but that was a big staple of the Late Show.  Not having a top ten list felt really weird.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SplatterTrigger

Fear the Walking Dead. It's nice to see how things went down post Rick & crew. However I can't seem to care about any of the characters.

Bloufo

IMG

It is good, no doubt. But no sympathetic type characters to root for.
Just a bunch of pompous, arrogant, sexual deviants. :P

NightWolve

Paul Giamatti. Word.

Forget what he did in that "Amazing Spider-Man 2," pretend it never happened and always just think of him from "Shoot 'Em Up"

DragonmasterDan

X-Files is back and I'm hyped. I've already seen all of the episodes from earlier seasons and both movies.
--DragonmasterDan

johnnykonami

Quote from: NightWolve on 02/01/2016, 02:34 PMPaul Giamatti. Word.

Forget what he did in that "Amazing Spider-Man 2," pretend it never happened and always just think of him from "Shoot 'Em Up"
I might be alone in my appreciation for Lady in the Water.  That's what I think of first when I think of Paul Giamatti.

Vimtoman

Narco on Netflix is pretty good and just caught up on Plebs which is a UK comedy.

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 02/01/2016, 02:42 PMX-Files is back and I'm hyped. I've already seen all of the episodes from earlier seasons and both movies.
Due to REASONS (my son wakes up at night and will disassemble lamps/do dangerous stuff, he's four + special), I watched more TV in last few weeks than I have in the last decade or two. It's crazy. :)

My 6th grader & wife and I are watching original X-Files series and really having fun. We are in Season 2. I barely remember any of these storylines (when they krgianlly aired).

I saw one of the X Files movies (the first) in the theatre, but I don't remember much of that, either. It must have been late 90's?

I watched every episode of "The In-betweeners" (British) on Netflix a few weeks ago and I thought it was pretty entertaining.

EVEN BETTER was the supremely wonderful THE DETECTORISTS (British) on Netflix. I only watched first season...I hope Netflix will sign a contract for the second season!

TWIN PEAKS....I'm wrapping-up the second season. Again, I didn't remember 90% of this stuff, although I had vague memories of the weird events/storylines.  I know I enjoyed the film...so I will watch it immediately after finishing up the next 3(?) episodes.

SignOfZeta

IMG

esteban

SignOfZeta

No. Maude. The one with all the vest/housecoat things. Norman Lear. 1972. First appearance of Florida and James Evans.

Did you know Conrad Bain had an identical twin brother? That kinda surprised me.
IMG

OldMan

QuoteNo. Maude.  1972. First appearance of Florida and James Evans.
You sure about that? Wasn't their son Lionel a friend of the meathead/Gloria on Archie Bunker?  I could swear Archie went to meet Lionels parents one time, looking for Gloria....
Coulda been post-72 though.

Wow, that makes me old.

(For you Young-uns: IIRC, Maude's hubby Phillip was originally a drinking buddy/ co-worker of Archies. Maude and Edith became friends...Which led to the Maude spin-off. Don't remember how Florida and Maude met (probably at a women's lib meeting), which led to the "good times" spinoff.  Then, iirc, Maude moved into an apartment building, where she met Sherman Hemsley (don't remember the characters name) and the maid (don't remember her name either), who eventually ended up with their own series.... Yeah Normal Lear ruled the 70's sitcoms :)

NightWolve

Quote from: johnnykonami on 02/01/2016, 04:31 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 02/01/2016, 02:34 PMPaul Giamatti. Word.

I might be alone in my appreciation for Lady in the Water.  That's what I think of first when I think of Paul Giamatti.
Nope, that's a fine choice too! I bought a DVD of it. That was way back when M. Night Shyamalan still had his mojo. Was a promising director, kinda sad to see him go downhill like that after a string of successes.

johnnykonami

Quote from: NightWolve on 02/01/2016, 10:20 PMNope, that's a fine choice too! I bought a DVD of it. That was way back when M. Night Shyamalan still had his mojo. Was a promising director, kinda sad to see him go downhill like that after a string of successes.
Nice!  Me too.  I watch all of his movies eventually, still need to see The Visit though.  When it shows up on streaming I will catch it then I guess.  I also enjoyed Wayward Pines, which came out pretty recently.

Warbucks

I have been watching a few shows.

Black Sails- Just watched Season 3 episode 3
Lucky Man- New Marvel show about an English dude with a gambling problem that gets something to turnlucky 2 episodes out
The Magicians-3rd episode just released
Billions-3rd episode just released
Second Chance

gheebee

Lately I've been working my way through the 21 Jump Street series and am currently on season 4. It's a pretty hit and miss show as it sometimes focuses too much on some drama with the main characters rather than an actual case and sometimes the conclusions are pretty unsatisfying but overall I like the show. The quality is pretty low on the DVD set but still not too bad when you consider it was $15 for an entire series.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 02/01/2016, 05:52 PMTWIN PEAKS....I'm wrapping-up the second season. Again, I didn't remember 90% of this stuff, although I had vague memories of the weird events/storylines.  I know I enjoyed the film...so I will watch it immediately after finishing up the next 3(?) episodes.
I went through Twin Peaks about two years ago... and still haven't watched the movie.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 02/02/2016, 03:47 PMLately I've been working my way through the 21 Jump Street series and am currently on season 4. It's a pretty hit and miss show as it sometimes focuses too much on some drama with the main characters rather than an actual case and sometimes the conclusions are pretty unsatisfying but overall I like the show. The quality is pretty low on the DVD set but still not too bad when you consider it was $15 for an entire series.
I intended to watch the entire 21 Jump Street series when it was onNetflix (7-8 years ago?), but I didn't make it too far.

It was fun watching the episodes, but I made the mistake of assuming it would always be available.

I like the silly show. Also, do you get to see the anti-drug PSA's at the end of the episodes?

1-800-COCAINE

This has always struck me as an absurd-yet-hilarious phone number for a drug/crisis hotline.

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 02/02/2016, 06:07 PM
Quote from: esteban on 02/01/2016, 05:52 PMTWIN PEAKS....I'm wrapping-up the second season. Again, I didn't remember 90% of this stuff, although I had vague memories of the weird events/storylines.  I know I enjoyed the film...so I will watch it immediately after finishing up the next 3(?) episodes.
I went through Twin Peaks about two years ago... and still haven't watched the movie.
The movie was enjoyable and focused more on elements from the first season, which is better, IMHO.

Aesthetically, I think the movie format (and high production values) elevated the content above its TV soap opera drama roots.

But...I look forward to seeing it if it holds up as well as I hope it will.

gheebee

Quote from: esteban on 02/02/2016, 08:19 PMI intended to watch the entire 21 Jump Street series when it was onNetflix (7-8 years ago?), but I didn't make it too far.

It was fun watching the episodes, but I made the mistake of assuming it would always be available.

I like the silly show. Also, do you get to see the anti-drug PSA's at the end of the episodes?

1-800-COCAINE

This has always struck me as an absurd-yet-hilarious phone number for a drug/crisis hotline.
I only remember one PSA from the DVDs, it was right before the closing credits on one episode; you're making me wonder if I shouldn't just skip to the next episode as soon as the credits come up... I hate when that happens on Netflix, but if you made it through the first two seasons then you've already seen most of the better episodes, imo.

BigusSchmuck

Dunno if it counts as a tv series, but been watching The Man in the High Castle. Pretty good stuff yet disturbing.

Bloufo

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 02/03/2016, 11:46 AMDunno if it counts as a tv series, but been watching The Man in the High Castle. Pretty good stuff yet disturbing.
An alternate history story that is not only eery but plausible.

Recently finished watching the last few episodes of the one and only season of Stalker. Pretty bummed that CBS didn't renew for a season 2.

I enjoyed the series as it was different to any other show on current TV. I liked the focus on a different part of the police. Most shows are portraying homicide or cyber or special victims, so this was an interesting angle. The cast were were well suited to their characters and thought the show gave a good scare. Sad to see it go.

johnnykonami

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 02/03/2016, 11:46 AMDunno if it counts as a tv series, but been watching The Man in the High Castle. Pretty good stuff yet disturbing.
It counts in my book.  I only watched the very first couple of episodes so far.  I'll have to see the rest.  Love that haunting opening theme.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: johnnykonami on 02/03/2016, 12:57 PM
It counts in my book.  I only watched the very first couple of episodes so far.  I'll have to see the rest.  Love that haunting opening theme.
It's pretty hardcore once you realize its a rewriting of an older song.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/11/edelweiss-an-american-song-for-an-american-dystopia/417285/

johnnykonami

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 02/03/2016, 03:50 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 02/03/2016, 12:57 PM
It's pretty hardcore once you realize its a rewriting of an older song.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/11/edelweiss-an-american-song-for-an-american-dystopia/417285/
Yeah, I was aware of it from The Sound of Music, but didn't know the rest from your link.  The performance from the MitHC version is amazing.

MotherGunner

Watching Burn Notice.  Cool show.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Dicer

Been Binge Watching Shameless, awesome dysfunctional fun...and boobs.

sirhcman

Just started Silicon Valley, seems to be pretty funny so far!

CatPix

Watched "Trapped" today.
It's an Icelandic series.
Pretty well done, a bit over the top in term of shit going on, but the characters are perfect. Not superheroes or druken badass former Marine shit. Normal guys getting caught in shit, and trapped in their small town by a snow storm.

esteban

Quote from: Dicer on 02/03/2016, 05:11 PMBeen Binge Watching Shameless, awesome dysfunctional fun...and boobs.
The British series? I watched that one. It was great.

datbuta

I'm currently watching The Blacklist... but as of the recent episodes... this season is turning into ass... the actor playing agent keen ... can't act well enough to match up to James Spader'c character... I tried to watch the new X-Files mini-series... but the first episode was... meh...

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: datbuta on 02/17/2016, 01:27 PMI'm currently watching The Blacklist... but as of the recent episodes... this season is turning into ass... the actor playing agent keen ... can't act well enough to match up to James Spader'c character... I tried to watch the new X-Files mini-series... but the first episode was... meh...
I'm behind on X-Files now, plan to catch up today.
--DragonmasterDan

NightWolve

Oh, might as well mention it running into this thread. I got interested in the X-Files again, and am caught up with the Monday episode thanks to FOX's website. I only have a one word review: weird. That's all I'm good for, sorry. ;)

What sucks about my new smart TV is it's limited in apps since they didn't choose the Android Operating System and FOX is still using a video player made with Adobe Flash instead of building something with HTML5/MP4 standards. The TV's browser can run videos just fine if the website is using the HTML5 video tag with a MP4 file. I tested that out with another site.

But anyway, yeah, with the war on Flash and attempting to phase it out on mobile OSes (like Android, other Linux variants), you still need a Windows desktop to view sites like that or hope they made an app for your OS (which FOX did, but for Android!). I hope somebody makes an Android layer for LG's WebOS2.0. That would make this new TV of mine a really good deal and future-proof it for a good many years!

datbuta

Quote from: NightWolve on 02/17/2016, 02:28 PMOh, might as well mention it running into this thread. I got interested in the X-Files again, and am caught up with the Monday episode thanks to FOX's website. I only have a one word review: weird. That's all I'm good for, sorry. ;)
ya after the first episode... which is the only one i watched... i was like.... whaaaat? I don't understand... the first episode was ok... I'm guessing for me i need to watch a couple more episodes to give a proper opinion on it

johnnykonami

I just gave the new x-files show a spin, I wasn't even that interested before but I did it on a whim.  I liked the original show, so I'll stick with this one and see where it goes.  Scully looks different to me, did she get plastic surgery?  I know she's older now of course, just seems like something else is different.  I've only watched the first episode so far.

I also missed the fact that The Walking Dead started back up and also Better Call Saul.  I have been pretty disappointed in TWD for a really long time but I still just watch it out of habit.  Better Call Saul's opener was alright, not blown away or anything yet but looking forward to more.

nectarsis

I was on Ash vs. Evil Dead, and Scream Queens...now teh fiance has me hooked on how I Met Your Mother
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

ConsoleGeek

Just finished the season myself. It's pretty much how I feel the US would have turned out if the Axis would have won.

I'm looking for more shows like it so I'd love to hear any suggestions people have.

I'm also watching The Profit.
IMG

Warbucks

Started watching The Outsiders.
It's about a town that wants to kick a bunch of hermits out of a mountain to mine it.

It is a new series and is actually pretty good.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: nectarsis on 02/18/2016, 08:33 PMI was on Ash vs. Evil Dead, and Scream Queens...now teh fiance has me hooked on how I Met Your Mother
I still haven't finished Ash vs Evil dead yet. Maybe this weekend.
--DragonmasterDan

Bloufo

I was hankering for a bit of hustle and scheming from Saul "I fight for YOU, Albuquerque!" Goodman.
So I put on a bit of Better Call Saul.

Dunno why but that opening song (Funny How Time Slips Away) in the first episode of season 2 put me in such a peaceful mood. :lol:

munchiaz

started watching game of thrones. So far im mid way through season 4. Show is pretty addicting.

Sadler

Made it through the first 8 seasons of The X Files. What an awesome, awesome show. Even the mostly Mulder-free 8th season was damn good. I hear season 9 sucks, but dammit I'm too committed at this point to stop. I am taking a quick break to watch The Lone Gunmen though. I had no idea that the pilot of that show predicted 9/11!  :shock:

esteban

Quote from: Sadler on 06/08/2016, 03:23 PMMade it through the first 8 seasons of The X Files. What an awesome, awesome show. Even the mostly Mulder-free 8th season was damn good. I hear season 9 sucks, but dammit I'm too committed at this point to stop. I am taking a quick break to watch The Lone Gunmen though. I had no idea that the pilot of that show predicted 9/11!  :shock:
I am still working my way through series with wife + daughter...

It is an excellent show for 6-7th grader.

:)