10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Calling all carboard collectors!

Started by jelloslug, 07/10/2014, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jelloslug

NecroPhile

I'm not sure off hand, but probably somewhere around 40 for games.  I also have boxes for most all of the hardware and accessories I own.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DeshDildo

I actually have a fetish for hardware that is complete in box.  As far as NEC stuff goes I have a Turbografx that has almost everything in the box (missing the business replay stuff and I think they packed in a turboplay issue which is missing).  I have a boxed PC Engine Duo.  I have boxes for a whopping 4 of my games but at least they are goodins: Neutopia II, Chase H.Q., Order of the Griffon, Motoroader

As far as the rest of my game collection goes I am not anal about boxed NES games so I have maybe 15-20 with boxes.  I do have a ton of Nintendo hardware complete in the box.  I am actively seeking a box and paperwork for a Genesis CDX to make mine complete as well.

When it comes to systems who's games came in plastic cases (i.e. Genesis) I don't even buy them unless they have a box (exception being if it's an insane deal).
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Bardoly

I am currently only 2 cardboard retail boxes away from a complete set of the TurboGrafx-16 retail game boxes.  8)  I am a very 'tactile' person, so I enjoy pulling them out, looking over the incredible box art  :roll:  , reading the backs of the boxes, etc...  I also have boxes for two Turbo Pads, and a couple of PC Engine controllers, although I don't really care about boxes other than the game boxes.

ifkz

Only 6 beaten up cardboard boxes out of about 80 US TG-16 HuCards.
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

Alt-Nintega

boxes? really?

didn't you hear what Ron Jeremy said? Don't be a collectard.

leave the cardboard for the homeless

esteban

I have a box filled with all the software boxes I got back in the day (as a kid). Since then, I've only acquired a handful of additional boxes, which are scattered about in different plastic bins.

I never counted them. It's a hefty bunch, but I know it is a small number compare to Bardoly, who has nearly all of them. I actually love looking at boxes, it's nostalgia for looking at games in the store before purchasing (possibly) one of them. WHAT A GAMBLE it was to buy a game back in the day.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gentlegamer

I don't collect cardboard on purpose, I'm the original owner of most of my few CIB cardboard games (NES and SNES).

The only Turbo cardboard I have is the TurboTap and TurboBooster, oddly enough.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

LostFlunky

I have only about 20 left in boxes - used to have double or triple that, but I have been making an effort to pare down my STUFF to games I like and will actually play in recent years... Also have a boxed TG16, and TE which I bought new BITD.

Bklyn4ever

I'm missing 5 boxes. Probably will never get all of them.

HailingTheThings

I'll have one, maybe two when Sparky makes them.... some time in the futurrrrrreeeee.
IMG

Lochlan

Roll call for obsessives!

I have fifty-ish boxes, one or two without the games, each lovingly placed in its own protective-plastic box.  (I pursue rare cardboard garbage with seriousness.)  I never used to collect boxes on-purpose (seemed too indulgent, which it is) but something really clicked (snapped?) for me this year and now I'm über box-crazy.

There are more I want, but I doubt I'll attempt a full-set.  Without analyzing too deeply: box collecting is mostly about decorating a shelf to provide nerd-boners, thus I try to model my collecting habits to achieve that end.  I can't bring myself to buy boxed TV Sports games instead of spending that money on something I'd enjoy more.  That's not to knock the completionists, I totally "get" the insatiable drive to consume.

I also want to briefly address this:

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 07/10/2014, 08:03 PMboxes? really?...leave the cardboard for the homeless
"Just play the games, man, that's what it's all about!"—right?

Tommy here belongs to a group of classic-era game collectors who first-and-foremost consider themselves to be game "players".  To them, paying a premium for retail packaging is missing the point, the software is far more important.  And it's true that paying a premium for complete games is almost always, in the most literal financial sense, valuing boxes/packaging above actual game carts/discs.  These "true gamer" types resent sharing marketplaces/forums/labels with collectors who seem to value software below cardboard.  I also used to feel this way, strongly.

These people think they buy games solely for the purpose of playing them, but they're mistaken. In fact, collecting original TurboGrafx software at all, in any capacity, is not about playing games.  At least not directly.  That sounds totally crazy (a seemly reasonable and intuitive reaction: "LOL what do you mean dummy, they ARE the games—of course PLAYING GAMES is the purpose of BUYING them!!") until considering that we live in a world of emulators and Everdrives.  A person who "only" cares about playing games doesn't need to buy them in the first place!  Shaky ethics/piracy arguments aside (and I won't even get into the "CD-Rs are bad for my laser" nonsense in the face of plentiful replacement parts/repair services), we now have the capability of easily accessing and playing every TurboGrafx and PC Engine game for free, even on original hardware.  If all you care about is playing TurboGrafx games you never need to buy them.

This all might still feel counterintuitive because we are used to original software being the only way to access games.  That's certainly the case with modern systems.  But when you want to play a game and there are viable free ways to do that, it's hard to put much weight into the argument of "I buy classic game software but only because I like playing games."

When pressed, I think a lot of these gamers will admit that on some level, and to some minor degree, they just like owning the original software.  They get more enjoyment out of playing original games, for whatever reason.  Sometimes it's nostalgia and other times it's psychological thing (some people can't enjoy ROMS for various reasons)  But it's still a "collectard" habit, only a less-extreme one, on a smaller scale, and with less-valuable items.  If you're paying for classic games, you enjoy them beyond their utility as software.  Compared to box-fetishes I think buying loose games is probably "closer" to only caring about the games, but I find it disingenous to claim there is a strong distinction between "collectors" and "gamer/collectors".

The only people who can, in my eyes, criticize box-collectors without some degree of hypocracy are those who just play ROMs, and especially those who don't care about original hardware.  (Although I'm sure many of them would probably buy original software if money were no object!)
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

wolfman

Quote from: Lochlan on 07/11/2014, 06:16 AMRoll call for obsessives!

These people think they buy games solely for the purpose of playing them, but they're mistaken. In fact, collecting original TurboGrafx software at all, in any capacity, is not about playing games.  At least not directly.  That sounds totally crazy (a seemly reasonable and intuitive reaction: "LOL what do you mean dummy, they ARE the games—of course PLAYING GAMES is the purpose of BUYING them!!") until considering that we live in a world of emulators and Everdrives.  A person who "only" cares about playing games doesn't need to buy them in the first place!  Shaky ethics/piracy arguments aside (and I won't even get into the "CD-Rs are bad for my laser" nonsense in the face of plentiful replacement parts/repair services), we now have the capability of easily accessing and playing every TurboGrafx and PC Engine game for free, even on original hardware.  If all you care about is playing TurboGrafx games you never need to buy them.

This all might still feel counterintuitive because we are used to original software being the only way to access games.  That's certainly the case with modern systems.  But when you want to play a game and there are viable free ways to do that, it's hard to put much weight into the argument of "I buy classic game software but only because I like playing games."
While I agree to some things mentioned by Lochlan, I have to admit that I am torn between "owning" and "playing", or more strikingly: between "greed" and "lust".

That has led to a bigger collection of almost all CIB handheld games, that aren´t mint anymore (har har) and have scuff marks from playing them, be they LSI tabletops or LCD handhelds or Lynx or Turbo/PCE games. And having the chance to flip worlds between greed (owning/collecting for the sake of collecting) and lust (tearing away shrink wrap and playing) I have to say that is the greatest thing for me. Especially opening a game that still employs that smell of being "new".

Vintage feel and re-emphazising childhood certainly play a strong part in this. I can´t take my fingers off vintage cardboard boxes, that employ "painted" art in terms of having been made by hand --- a craft that doesn´t seem to be popular anymore - phantasy vs realism in todays box art.

My 2 cents...
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
-------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

majors

I have (not own) one beat-to-hell box for Military Madness. I do not remember getting it, so it's must have been in some lot buy I did in the past. I use it to store my Ys map, World Class Baseball stats booklet and loose manuals.

Paper collectors can keep on collecting, as long as thay pay rent(aka take care of real life) and do not fill these forums with 'tard threads.

On Lock and Wolf's subject of collecting for physical media, I do like to stack my loose Hu's and play with them like poker chips.

IMG
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

jelloslug

Lets not shift off topic here folks.  In my collection I have a little more than 40 game boxes and boxes for all the hardware that I own.  I'm not that interested in stuff like NES or SNES boxes but I do have a few.  I do like having hardware boxes though and I have the boxes for my NES, Genesis, SNES, N64 and the other newer systems that I have.

wolfman

Quote from: jelloslug on 07/11/2014, 08:37 AMLets not shift off topic here folks.  In my collection I have a little more than 40 game boxes and boxes for all the hardware that I own.  I'm not that interested in stuff like NES or SNES boxes but I do have a few.  I do like having hardware boxes though and I have the boxes for my NES, Genesis, SNES, N64 and the other newer systems that I have.
Alright then,  since my collection is based mainly on PCE games, I can honestly say that I certainly do not own more than 6 CIB games, 3 of them still in unopened shrink wrap. I do wish I would own more, especially I am missing a complete box for my "Lords of the Rising sun", as I really love the box cover art on that one...
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.

NecroPhile

Upon checking the vault, I see I was a bit off.  I've got sixty Turboxes, one box/sleeve thing for Circus Lido, and two boxes for booty hueys.

xcrement5x

I have a love hate issue with most cardboard stuff.  I love it because it's part of the original packaging, I hate it because it's cardboard just falls apart over time.  Turbo stuff is a nice exception because the game in the case came in an outer box, so without the box it's still nice and complete and not sitting loosy goose.

That said, I love Sega stuff because they had the foresight to use nice plastic clamshells for a very long time.  Clamshells are durable, look nice and are very easy to swap around in most cases if you want a replacement.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Sadler

I've got a bad case of the collectard. I think I have 65 TG game boxes and most of the hardware boxes.

IMG

NecroPhile

By the way, what exactly is "carboard".  Are you looking for people like Byron and his radical woodie wagon?

DeshDildo

Quote from: Sadler on 07/11/2014, 10:56 AMI've got a bad case of the collectard. I think I have 65 TG game boxes and most of the hardware boxes.

IMG
YES!
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Sadler on 07/11/2014, 10:56 AMI've got a bad case of the collectard. I think I have 65 TG game boxes and most of the hardware boxes.

IMG
Ok, if you're gonna collect boxes, having a retail display makes it worth it.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

NecroPhile

Is that an N64 game photobombing the OBEY?

Sadler

Alt-Nintega

+1 for a TurboGrafix 16 display that they should have had in the 90's. Great variety. Collectard or not, doesn't matter here, this is great example. Variety of stuff to be had. Never came into reality, unfortunately.

P.S. you are a moron and an idiot to display your wares like that, all in the open. First of all u are a moron because u are showboating yer cardboard on a forum where people live these games.

#2 u are just clueless. Wake up and realize that no one cares.

MrFulci

All of my games have cardboard boxes. This was because A video rental store let me have their stock, and the cardboard boxes were shrink-wrapped and used for a person to bring to a counter in order to rent a game. The games were kept behind the counter.

I opened a lot of the empty boxes to find out what was jingling around in them. It was a store alarm sticker with the wax paper backing still on, it wasn't stuck to the cardboard inside. This alarm decal was so no one would walk out with a box and steal the box. Without a box, it's a bit more difficult to rent a game.

Also inside, were all the pack-in papers - Turbo gear catalog, usually.

After that, for any other used games I wanted, I just made sure to buy it with the box. However, by then, I had nearly all the game sin boxes since when I bought TG-16 games, I saved the boxes anyway.

I did throw out a box for my Turbo Booster. It was beat-up to begin with, being Toys 'R Us old clearance, red price tags and all. It just got more beat up as I had it. It was horrible looking, so I chucked it in the trash.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

roflmao

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 07/11/2014, 07:37 PM+1 for a TurboGrafix 16 display that they should have had in the 90's. Great variety. Collectard or not, doesn't matter here, this is great example. Variety of stuff to be had. Never came into reality, unfortunately.

P.S. you are a moron and an idiot to display your wares like that, all in the open. First of all u are a moron because u are showboating yer cardboard on a forum where people live these games.

IMG

jelloslug

Quote from: Psycho Alt-Nintega on 07/11/2014, 07:37 PM+1 for a TurboGrafix 16 display that they should have had in the 90's. Great variety. Collectard or not, doesn't matter here, this is great example. Variety of stuff to be had. Never came into reality, unfortunately.

Wow, you are not even trying anymore...

tggodfrey

Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

FiftyQuid

I bought a Car Adapter for my TurboExpress.  I was shipped to me inside the original NEC box from the factory.  Nice white box with a flip lid that held 4 Car Adapters at one time.  Nothing special about it, but it was cool to see it and it's in really good shape.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

LostFlunky

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/11/2014, 10:19 PMI bought a Car Adapter for my TurboExpress.  I was shipped to me inside the original NEC box from the factory.  Nice white box with a flip lid that held 4 Car Adapters at one time.  Nothing special about it, but it was cool to see it and it's in really good shape.
I have a couple of those shipping boxes too.  One for Turbo Express and one for the TE wall wart. 

geise

Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/11/2014, 04:02 PMIs that an N64 game photobombing the OBEY?
Don't forget the Nobey controller at the bottom.   In all seriousness that is a pretty nice display.  I have a sweet number of 10 amazing boxes.  Most of my games from late 80's to mid 90's have been bought used, so most had no box bit at least had the case.  I would have 12 but I gave two away to forum members.  They are nice but I have no attachment to them.  They are boxes :lol:

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

HailingTheThings

IMG

xcrement5x

I dig that setup Sadler, it looks pretty sweet.  :)
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

FiftyQuid

IMG
Radio Shack called.  They want their display back.   :D
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

shubibiman

I own 32 TGX and TGCD boxes. I only own 4 TGX or TGCD games without there box.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Sadler

Quote from: Nulltard on 07/13/2014, 06:58 PM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/13/2014, 12:37 AMRadio Shack called.  They want their display back.   :D
Radio Shack took the time to evenly space their boxes. (Burn)
:lol: I need to cram another box in there.

mrhaboobi

LOve the display sadler, i got all anal about my stuff when it got stolen once.. ( luckily just ps1 stuff ).. so i dont have all of my stuff on display like that.. 1 c*nt ruined it all for me ... So unfortunately alot of my boxes lives in another box, which is probably nested in another box.. and i know i have a box of spare boxes .. :)

And there really is only one box i really want most of all and thats Sparkys keith courage and the magical chase he teased us with :)..  People think im a collectard for wanting nice boxes.. hmm fuck em :)  i still like to keep the plastic bags that come/came with the video game mags i used to buy as a bid.. not because the plastic was worth anything, but because i'm fucked in the head and like my stuff to be complete just like the day i bought it new :)

Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Sadler on 07/13/2014, 07:05 PM
Quote from: Nulltard on 07/13/2014, 06:58 PM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 07/13/2014, 12:37 AMRadio Shack called.  They want their display back.   :D
Radio Shack took the time to evenly space their boxes. (Burn)
:lol: I need to cram another there in a box.
Fixed.
IMG

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Nulltard on 07/15/2014, 12:06 AMMAHOOBI IS DRUNK!

I love it!

nobody uses seven ellipses, four smilies, two f-bombs and a c-bomb to exclaim how much they want sparky's box (of which there are apparently two, which, if true, would be the start of a whole new genre of adult film).

Señor Mahoobi... amirite? :lol:
ohmylanta
IMG

mrhaboobi

Quote from: Nulltard on 07/15/2014, 12:06 AMMAHOOBI IS DRUNK!

I love it!

nobody uses seven ellipses, four smilies, two f-bombs and a c-bomb to exclaim how much they want sparky's box (of which there are apparently two, which, if true, would be the start of a whole new genre of adult film).

Señor Mahoobi... amirite? :lol:
Oh how i wish i was drunk rather than being at work when writing that.. gives you some insight into my day.. :)  Office space the movie really comes to mind, i thought i went lite on the f bombs ..  and no doubt if sparky actually had two boxes he'd be a popular boy.. ermm umm Girl.. err She/he .. no He/She.. fuck it, chick with a dick
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx