10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Ys I vs II which do you prefer?

Started by PukeSter, 07/14/2014, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Ys game do you like better?

Book I
7 (53.8%)
Book II
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

PukeSter

Playing through the chronicles steam release, and at least halfway through book II.

Apart from the music, I feel that book II is much better in most aspects.

Though together they are a complete package, II is best as the standalone game.

Thoughts?

NightWolve

Don't really care to separate them and choose/prefer one over the other. It was a great idea to put them together by a programmer for Hudson to where Falcom continued it when they released "Ys I & II Complete" for Windows 98/XP in 2001. As I only think of them as one complete unit, the question of which I prefer over the other is an unnecessary one to me.

TR0N

Uhh both since to me it's one game.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

CrackTiger

Ys I will always be my favorite and I prefer it as a stand alone story.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

I also consider 'em just one game (first half and second half), but if I had to pick I'd probably go with the second half for the magic wands and the strategy required when using 'em.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

tggodfrey

I cant separate them mentally.  Each one requires the other to make up all aspects of an awesome RPG.  The level grinding and story line of Book 1, followed by fast paced challenging gameplay of Book 2 and the jaw dropping animated cut scenes of both make this a "complete" RPG with all the ingredients of a Game worthy of Game of the year title.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

roflmao

I prefer I over II. They are both amazing, though.

johnnykonami

I agree with everyone else about thinking about them as one game.  I voted anyway though, my choice is for book I.  Pretty much purely for Darm Tower, which is my favorite dungeon between the two.  Solomon shrine is one of my least favorite though, getting through that part of Book II is a drag to me.  Both have their ups and downs, though.

pulstar

It is pretty hard to separate them as two individual games, but if I had to choose it'll be Ys II just for the shift in gameplay focus.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

tpivette

I prefer Book 1... once you step out into the overworld for the first time and that iconic music starts up, it is so nostalgic for me.

Book 2 is equally awesome, but as someone mentioned above, I just don't like the Solomon Shrine portion.
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

seieienbu

The only time in my life I played 1 before immediately going on to 2 was on Sega Master System when I was a kid...

I always had trouble getting lost in Solomon Shrine near the end of Book 2 but always knew where I was in Darm Tower in the end of Book 1, so I guess on that merit alone I like the first a tad better.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ToyMachine78

Ys  on the SMS.... The thought is dreadful!

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 07/16/2014, 08:09 PMY's  on the SMS.... The thought is dreadful!
One of my favorite games and what convinced me that I had to get a Turbo-CD.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 07/16/2014, 08:32 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/16/2014, 08:09 PMY's  on the SMS.... The thought is dreadful!
One of my favorite games and what convinced me that I had to get a Turbo-CD.
I just have a bad taste for the SMS. As a kid we had an NES, and a respectable amount of games. Well my older brother traded it with a friend for a SMS and games. I hated the thing, and my brother grew to hate it. He sold it and bought another NES.

esteban

Ys II

Darm Tower does get a bit tedious. Floor after floor. I love Ys I, sure, but Ys II is superior. THAT IS LAW.

Adol changing into a monster is still one of the best moments in any game.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG