RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Nes2pce Possible to get more conversions?

Started by Dicer, 07/27/2014, 12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/06/2015, 05:51 PMBut do you guys really want to play unmodified NES games on your PCE, though?
Not really.  They're cool and all, but I'd much rather have one nicely upgraded quality title than a dozen as-is games.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TurboXray

ParanoiaDragon: Don't worry, you're good to go on the Megaman sound track. That part 's already done. ;)

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/07/2015, 12:08 AMAnother I'd love to do is Karnov, but.....it's the same damn song thruout the whole game!  I guess that would make my life easier, though, I'd probably still want to find a way to put some extra variety into the soundtrack.
Couldn't you rip some of the music from the Neo Geo game of Karnov?

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 01/08/2015, 10:08 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/07/2015, 12:08 AMAnother I'd love to do is Karnov, but.....it's the same damn song thruout the whole game!  I guess that would make my life easier, though, I'd probably still want to find a way to put some extra variety into the soundtrack.
Yeah, I was kind of thinking about that.  Either that, or make different versions of the same level tune.  Perhaps a mix of both.  That is, if Karnov was ever done ofcoarse, wink wink, nudge nudge!  Still, Trojan for me would be a must do over Karnov.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/08/2015, 10:56 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 01/08/2015, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I was kind of thinking about that.  Either that, or make different versions of the same level tune.  Perhaps a mix of both.  That is, if Karnov was ever done ofcoarse, wink wink, nudge nudge!  Still, Trojan for me would be a must do over Karnov.
No, Karnov on NES is better than Trojan NES.

TRÜE STORIE.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

EvilEvoIX

I think a lot of games that have been crippled by slowdown should be converted.  Obviously all Mega Man's, Kirbys Adventure, Mario 3, get Mr. Gimmic on this thing for the love of Christ.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

SmokeMonster

I was sorry to hear of your mother's medical problems on your blog Bonknuts. I hope that she finds some financial stability through her cancer treatments.

NES2PCE is a really exciting project and now that I have a TFT modded TurboExpress it's even better (portable NES!). Great work, and when your situation is better I hope that you're able to continue the great work.

Dicer

Bumping for the sheer fact that I was also thinking about GB/GBC games being ported over as well...

ccovell

GB/GBC runs on an 8080/Z80-like CPU, so straight conversions are nigh impossible.

Dicer

Quote from: ccovell on 08/30/2015, 09:00 AMGB/GBC runs on an 8080/Z80-like CPU, so straight conversions are nigh impossible.
I am aware of that, it's just something on my mind...

Dicer

Just adding I wanna see Milon's secret castle...

ccovell

Yes, I was thinking that too... It would look good with Bomberman, Cratermaze, or Battle Lode Runner tiles. :D

TurboXray

I was thinking this when I saw the recent Gamesack video. 32k rom + 32k chr-rom. Pretty doable. Do a poll and see how many want this. It'll probably take me two weekends to get it up and running. If you want upgraded graphics and sound, that'll take longer.

seieienbu

I was thinking about the Milon's Secret Castle port last ni-ght.  I still think Milon's Secret Castle is an odd choice for the Turbografx.  I mean, yeah it's a Hudson game but it's not exactly my favorite game. 

If I was looking for an NES game that I would feel is sorely needed on this system, I'd go with the Irem classic Metal Storm.  The gameplay is fantastic, the graphics (though very good for an NES game) could definitely stand a 16 bit overhaul, and with so many Irem games on the platform it seems a shame that this one (and a few others, I suppose) didn't make it over.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ParanoiaDragon

Trojan(NES colors, enemies, & level layout, with arcade gfx) would rock my sox, as would Faxanadu.  Contra & Super C would be great.  Karnov, though as I've stated before, I'd have some trouble doing tunes for it, I'd have to maybe borrow tunes from Karnov's Revenge.  I suppose I could do just the few tunes that are in the original, & leave it as is, but I feel like it should have at least a few more.  Maybe do original tune for level 1, alternate tune level 2, original tune level 3, different alternate tune level 4, etc.

Jackal is of coarse on the top of my list, & I still plan on doing Telenet'ish(think Final Zone II,Psychic Storm, Avenger) tunes for it once I'mdone with Mega Man, though I think Bonknuts has no plans for gfx upgrades.  I'm not sure how hard it'd be to convert the arcade gfx to it?
IMG

technozombie

How about  the NES version of Bonk's Adventure upgraded with graphics ripped from the TG version. It will be called Bonkception.

spenoza

Actually, A PCE version of Faxanadu would be my preference. Falcom and Hudson.

stinkoman

I always thought an update version of Monster Party would been perfect for turbo grafx

esteban

Paranoia and I share the same brain:

Faxanadu
Karnov
Trojan

Would be fun.

Also...

Gun.Smoke
Gyruss
Rygar
Iron Tank
Ikari Warriors  (tweak gameplay so it plays swiftly)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

KnightWarrior

How about Darkwing Duck?, The TG-16 version just Um sucks

incrediblehark

Faxanadu would be great! Milon's Secret castle would be a lot of fun too. Would be nice to have save support.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: KnightWarrior on 01/29/2016, 06:03 PMHow about Darkwing Duck?, The TG-16 version just Um sucks
Harsh. The game is a butt, yes, but its not like bad, bad, bad. Maybe. Okay, a little sucky, but I like it, maybe. :3
IMG

Jason_dicarlo85

Faxanadu!!! Mm vice project doom would be fun...

KnightWarrior

Just write a NES Emulator for the PCE/Turbo

spenoza

Quote from: KnightWarrior on 01/30/2016, 01:40 AMJust write a NES Emulator for the PCE/Turbo
Really isn't that simple. At all. Even the tiniest bit.

elmer

Quote from: KnightWarrior on 01/30/2016, 01:40 AMJust write a NES Emulator for the PCE/Turbo
And when the Wizard of OZ has done that, then perhaps he'll write a PlayStation 4 emulator for the NES, too.  [-o<

From a programmer's perspective, IMHO, what Bonknuts is doing is the only sensible way to achieve his goal of porting NES games to the PCE ... and it's a huge amount of work.

Frankly, I'm absolutely amazed that he has the patience!

spenoza

Quote from: elmer on 01/30/2016, 01:31 PMFrankly, I'm absolutely amazed that he has the patience!
"I wonder what happens if I..." and "Hey, I bet I could..." is how so much of the wonderment in the world comes to be.

HuMan

A software NES emulator wouldn't work on the PCE because it doesn't have the computing capability to do that.

From what I read, Nes2Pce takes advantage of the fact that both the NES and PCE use the same CPU, a 6502 (well, 2A03 derivative in the NES, but it's very similar). The problem stems from the fact that the sound and especially the video chipsets are different in the PCE. The NES PPU and CPU audio code is converted on-the-fly to something the PCE can understand, while the CPU engine code runs almost as is on the PCE's 6502.

None of that could be done as an actual emulator. The NES PPU conversion seems to be game to game specific. Not to mention the fact that the NES has hundreds of different mappers, which also affect the Nes2Pce conversion process.

TurboXray

QuoteThe NES PPU conversion seems to be game to game specific.
There are two builds of the PPU simulation cores, 8x16 sprite and 8x8 sprite. I didn't consolidate them only because I hadn't run into a game that required both.. yet. APU simulation cores are the same between games (unless they're just old an not updated).

They're not game specific. The cores get upgrades as I encounter new features that games need, but other than than - the cores recompile just fine from one rom to the next (within capability). For instance, I don't have 4 screen support (rarely used) or single screen mirroring simply because I hadn't had a need for them yet. I was working on switchable H/V mirroring, but I didn't finish it (it'll probably be the last thing I do). Features to the core get added as they're needed, but they're not game specific. Game specific stuff is more like the hacking the gamepad i/o code instead of directly emulating it, and replacing LDA/STA port opcodes with JSRs to backend core support.

QuoteNot to mention the fact that the NES has hundreds of different mappers, which also affect the Nes2Pce conversion process.
If I was dedicated enough to this, I would support more mappers. There comes a point that, not if it can or can't be done, but is it worth the time to do it? And from what I've experienced so far, everything leans towards the latter.

In my mind, I've already proven it can be done. I don't need to take it further, as a proof of concept. And the challenge no longer has the luster and allure that it once did. New challenges are just on the horizon.

PS: I use the term simulation, which is realtime in this context, to refer to the PPU/APU/MAPPER/etc emulation. I think emulation is a valid term in relation to the ppu/apu/etc cores, minus the cpu part, but in the context of what emulation means nowadays - I've avoided it to keep the anal crowd at bay. Having this argument once was enough for me.

spenoza

Strictly speaking, emulation is mimicry. so what you are doing is part emulation, part... something else. It's half one thing, half another thing, and then a sprinkling of magic (or special sauce).

Dicer

Would Tetris be a simple one?

I fiend for the big T sometimes...

CrackTiger

Quote from: Dicer on 03/04/2016, 01:35 PMWould Tetris be a simple one?

The PCE already has a homebrew Tetris.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Gredler

The idea of another good puzzle game on the system is on the right track. Tetris attack, Dr Mario, puzzle bobble, Puzzle Fighter, all would flesh out the PCE puzzle choices nicely. Only one of those is a nes game, but you get my drift :P

Dicer

Quote from: guest on 03/04/2016, 01:51 PM

The PCE already has a homebrew Tetris.
Where can I find such a gem?

TurboXray

NecroPhile

Quote from: Dicer on 12/15/2016, 09:37 PMWhere can I find such a gem?
Zeograd's Lair had it, but I can't seem to get past the first page of downloads.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TurboXray

Quote from: Gredler on 03/04/2016, 01:54 PMThe idea of another good puzzle game on the system is on the right track. Tetris attack, Dr Mario, puzzle bobble, Puzzle Fighter, all would flesh out the PCE puzzle choices nicely. Only one of those is a nes game, but you get my drift :P
I was looking at the graphic logistics of this game. The SNES port can't deal with all the bubbles as sprites, in two player mode, so it uses its 256 color BG mode and draws in the bubbles as they connect to the rest of the tree.

The PCE can't do it all with sprites either, in two player mode, but I've figured out a way to use the PCE BG like what the SNES is doing. It's tricky, but doable.

Dicer

Quote from: TurboXray on 12/16/2016, 02:38 PM
Quote from: Gredler on 03/04/2016, 01:54 PMThe idea of another good puzzle game on the system is on the right track. Tetris attack, Dr Mario, puzzle bobble, Puzzle Fighter, all would flesh out the PCE puzzle choices nicely. Only one of those is a nes game, but you get my drift :P
I was looking at the graphic logistics of this game. The SNES port can't deal with all the bubbles as sprites, in two player mode, so it uses its 256 color BG mode and draws in the bubbles as they connect to the rest of the tree.

The PCE can't do it all with sprites either, in two player mode, but I've figured out a why to use the PCE BG like what the SNES is doing. It's tricky, but doable.
Why...  :-"

TurboXray