10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Shadow of the beast any good?

Started by ralphee, 06/11/2006, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphee

Hey guys, relative noob to the engine, i had one years back, but so much software came along after i jumped ship, ive managed to bag an SG and ive got a core 2, i need to know if this game was better than the crappy megadrive port, and more akin to the amiga version, i know its not a great game, but i loved it in its day, i know ill need a CD system, but its one game on my CD list, anyone know if its on jap release too? thanks...lee

td741

It's a really good port of the original first Shadow of the Beast game.  (There is a Megadrive port?  I know there's a SegaCD port of Shadow of the Beast 2)

Compared to the Amiga version, the controls and music are better.  I think the Amiga had more parrallax in some of the other levels, but I believe your character's sprite looks better and is better animated in the turbo-version (although the head looks tacked on.)

_Paul

This game is worth getting for the music alone.
It lacks some of the parallax of the Amiga version, but gameplay is better, though it's still not a great game.
If I remember correctly (and this was a long time ago), the US version is better as they improved the slow loading times of the intro animations. Aside from that there are no differences.

Odonadon

I always thought this was one of the best titles for the system, to be honest.  I love this game.  I've never played any of the other versions for comparison, however.

OD

Keranu

Quote from: guestIf I remember correctly (and this was a long time ago), the US version is better as they improved the slow loading times of the intro animations. Aside from that there are no differences.
Thanks for the info, that's very interesting. I'm sure steve will appreciate this.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Buster D

Picked up the Japanese version of this game last for about $5... Man, the loading times are way too long and happen way too often, and for short little animations, too.  Most of the time the loading time is longer than the animation  :shock:

_Paul

Hate to say 'told you so' but...

Buster D

Heh, you just said they were slow, you didn't say you could get up and go to the bathroom while they were loading  :lol:

esteban

Quote from: "Keranu"
Quote from: guestIf I remember correctly (and this was a long time ago), the US version is better as they improved the slow loading times of the intro animations. Aside from that there are no differences.
Thanks for the info, that's very interesting. I'm sure steve will appreciate this.
Yeah, seriously, who knew? I only have the U.S. version, though. Can we put this one in the "confirmed" category: the loading times for the U.S. version are improved?

For the folks who have the JP version: are your CD's in nice shape (no smudges, scratches, nicks, etc.)? I've noticed that games with scrathes sometimes take longer to load because the error-correction on the CD drive eats up a lot of time.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

_Paul

Also, the US intros are windowed where the Japanese ones are full screen.
(Can you confirm this, it's from old notes and memory).

awack

Yes the japanese version is fullscreen, the us version is windowed and i think the japanese version also has added sound fx such as when the fog comes in under the door.

ralphee

As i remember, the load times on the Amiga were high too, but damn i loved this game, on all your advice, ill now have to get a cd system for my Supergrafx as i need this game lol, the megadrive version just sucked for me, i had it on the system and i recently played it on kegafusion, it plays the same, but looks awful, anyone got any screenshots, i realise it wont have the paralaxing of the amiga version, but it sounds like it will satisfy my needs!

esteban

Quote from: "ralphee"As i remember, the load times on the Amiga were high too, but damn i loved this game, on all your advice, ill now have to get a cd system for my Supergrafx as i need this game lol, the megadrive version just sucked for me, i had it on the system and i recently played it on kegafusion, it plays the same, but looks awful, anyone got any screenshots, i realise it wont have the paralaxing of the amiga version, but it sounds like it will satisfy my needs!
Well, the MegaDrive version is harder. I liked the MegaDrive graphics, but the game was brutal. I got pretty far in the game, but never beat it.

Anyway, just to emphasize what has already been said: it is worth getting SotB SCD *for the music alone*. Period. I know that you're gonna love the SCD version, though it has clunky hit detection. If you are really hardcore, you'll think the SCD version is too easy. But I like the fact that the SCD is easier. In fact, it wasn't until a fellow board member (GUTS) pointed this out (that it was the easiest version) that I gave the SCD version a second look.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

The Atari Lynx version is really nice too, btw. :) That was my personal first experience with SotB...didn't play the PCE version till many years later...but yeah it's good, and yes the US one definately has faster loading cinemas (although frankly...those cinemas are pointless!).
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Tatsujin

Quote from: guestThis game is worth getting for the music alone.

word..please all listen to the last track on your city #6  :D

does anybody know, if the PCE BGM also comes from david whittaker?

amazing!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

_Paul

I don't think he re-arranged it, but the only way to be sure is to complete the game and watch the credits.

Kaminari

Quote from: "Tatsujin"does anybody know, if the PCE BGM also comes from david whittaker?

The PCE soundtrack was actually arranged by Tim Wright (of Beast 2 and 3 fame). And yes, he did a terrific job :)