RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

ATLANTEAN ORDERING INFORMATION (not til Friday)

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 08/06/2014, 02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

FIRST OFF:   

PROTOCARD FOLKS.   PLEASE PAY ME OR SOMETHING IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.

I will hold your entitled copy, but if you leave me hanging for like 2-3 weeks, someone else is getting it and you can wait.

EVERYONE ELSE:
Pay attention Friday.   That's when I will give you information on the orders.

Everyone will e-mail me with the provided button thing on aetherbyte.com, and it will be first come, first served.   I will send PayPal invoices to the first lucky bitches.

I have like 40 available, split about evenly between regions.   They are almost all going to you guys, with a small bit going to other key supporters who don't post here but have been equally supportive of Aetherbyte since day 1. 

If you miss the first go around, you will be first in line for the next batch that is in the works.

So, don't panic.   Bare with us.   Also, the shipping will be Priority, but may take a bit longer, because I am doing all of the packing/shipping myself after work.  This includes making the badass trinkets, and all of that.

Those who miss the first go around have the option to buy the ROM for 10$, and then you will only owe me 50$ + shipping when your turn in line comes for the card.

Said ROM will have some personal information wedged in it somewhere, so if you go uploading it to ROM sites, you'll be easily spotted by everyone, and they will hate you forever.   Don't be a RoyVegas and ruin life for everyone.

Speaking of RoyVegas:

Don't even bother.  You're not allowed to have Atlantean. 

and last, but not least:

Remember, these are the first of their kind.   They're 3D printed.   They are not factory precision!

As such, there are slight oddities with the cases and cards.   
Mainly:
-you may see some stray adhesive bits.   
-The case trays are slightly larger than normal, so the back insert didn't quite clear the spine (should be addressed hopefully in the next batch, meaning we can figure out who has first prints! YEAH)
-The labels on the cards may not be 100% lined up.  They're applied by hand.  We're not machine perfect.   We're basically fidgety programmers running on caffeine.

These things will improve over time so future projects will be even better than this one. 

OH. AND FINALLY:

I'm not all about the whole "second printing!!12" Super Watermelon Factory bullshit.   

The second batch will have lighter blue than the first print.   

This was basically because I said "hey look at this shade of blue that wasn't available before!" when I went to buy more plastic filament.

This does not mean the different colors of blue, or different cuts of the manual, or any of that have any bearing on the actual value of the game package because of different print runs.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, stop being dumb.

Each and every copy is worth exactly 4902230235832598$.

The only thing of any collectible spastic value is the almighty trinket I hand made with a Christmas present I got in like 1995:

IMG

It's the best of the 1990s.   New HuCard.   New Pogs.   

I am making those things by hand.   The adhesive on the blank Pogs is completely shot.   I have to reapply adhesive (but this means I can make them double sided instead of having the goofy yellow backs!). 

They weren't kidding when they said use that shit in a well ventilated room.

They're hand made.   They're not totally perfect.   However, they're awesome.   

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

HailingTheThings

Oh, man, excitement!

*pees/faints/wakes/pees/faints again/wakes/pees for 45 min. straight*
IMG

MrFulci

I read through most of this, but some of the most of it slipped my mind. Something about Friday, availability. If it's around, I'll send something for you, interesting to see a new hucard game, that does not involve cannibalizing something.  If I miss it, I'll take the watermelon not-so-blue hucard. Whatever is easiest for me.

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Dicer

I used to huff adhesive in the 90's so this is totally bringing me back....

Can't wait...

:mrgreen:

Opethian

I called it atlantean pog! what do I win?
IMG

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

jlued686

tggodfrey

Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

Opethian

IMG

schweaty

Can you give us an idea what time on Friday they will go on sale?  I only ask because I live in Europe and Friday for me comes 6 hours before the east coast.

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

xcrement5x

Woot!  I can't wait to buy one and be the coolest kid in my town. 

I will also need to pull out my old slammer and Alf pogs.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: schweaty on 08/06/2014, 01:17 PMCan you give us an idea what time on Friday they will go on sale?  I only ask because I live in Europe and Friday for me comes 6 hours before the east coast.
It'll be in the evening, EST time.   When I get in from work...

So probably Saturday for you.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Bernie

munchiaz

TheClash603

Very cool!

Sucks my phone broke and now I only can check the internetz when I am on my computer.  Hopefully I get into the top 200 at least :P

Out of curiosity, how many copies of your CD games did you sell?  Do you think you will eventually be able to create that many Atlanteans, assuming there is the same demand?

Elder

Mishran

Will you be making the ROM available ahead of time to those who already paid? Wouldn't mind putting some time into the game this weekend since I'll have nothing better I'll want to do.

FiftyQuid

I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/06/2014, 06:59 PMVery cool!

Sucks my phone broke and now I only can check the internetz when I am on my computer.  Hopefully I get into the top 200 at least :P

Out of curiosity, how many copies of your CD games did you sell?  Do you think you will eventually be able to create that many Atlanteans, assuming there is the same demand?
Between the broken/freebie demo/lost in mail replacement Insanitys, we've probably sold around 300.

Pyramid Plunder, somewhere less than that, but getting close?  The sales taper off and then you sell one every few months, basically.  If that

We can do that with the cards, and probably more, since they sell better I am assuming.

as for the ROM, I am still planning how I want to do that.  I will probably put your name/address/etc. in the ROM file so if the thing shows up online, everyone will know where to go to punch someone in the nuts.

mrhaboobi

tomorrow is only 10 hours away from me.  That's right biatches I live in the future :).. not that its going to help this time around :)
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

synbiosfan

ParanoiaDragon

August 9th 2014, the day the internet shut down due to too many orders, rush rush rush, gotta get Atlantean!!! :D

BTW, when we order, are you going to have us put down our PCEFX user names in the payment, to ensure it's us "goons"? :)
IMG

Dicer

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/06/2014, 10:12 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/06/2014, 06:59 PMVery cool!

Between the broken/freebie demo/lost in mail replacement Insanitys, we've probably sold around 300.

Pyramid Plunder, somewhere less than that, but getting close?  The sales taper off and then you sell one every few months, basically.  If that

We can do that with the cards, and probably more, since they sell better I am assuming.

as for the ROM, I am still planning how I want to do that.  I will probably put your name/address/etc. in the ROM file so if the thing shows up online, everyone will know where to go to punch someone in the nuts.
Lol I love this idea...

NightWolve

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/06/2014, 10:12 PMas for the ROM, I am still planning how I want to do that.  I will probably put your name/address/etc. in the ROM file so if the thing shows up online, everyone will know where to go to punch someone in the nuts.
I'm against the idea until you finish selling all the physical products, but if you're gonna do this, better encrypt the data somehow obviously. Nobody, the leaker included, should be able to see it. If it happens, it should be reported to you with the ROM image link for you to download, decrypt and then reveal who it was, etc. Even so, afterwards you publish the jerk's name, address, and then what ? Damage is still done...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 08/06/2014, 11:33 PMAugust 9th 2014, the day the internet shut down due to too many orders, rush rush rush, gotta get Atlantean!!! :D

BTW, when we order, are you going to have us put down our PCEFX user names in the payment, to ensure it's us "goons"? :)
Yes.

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/07/2014, 01:12 AMI'm against the idea until you finish selling all the physical products, but if you're gonna do this, better encrypt the data somehow obviously. Nobody, the leaker included, should be able to see it. If it happens, it should be reported to you with the ROM image link for you to download, decrypt and then reveal who it was, etc. Even so, afterwards you publish the jerk's name, address, and then what ? Damage is still done...
The first batch is already technically sold out, and there aren't even enough for this entire forum basically.

I don't want to hose you gimps. 

having the ROM out there won't impact anything.   The people who really care about this crap are who this item was made for, and they'd buy it even with free ROMs dangling in front of them.

Dicer

The best method would to have some coded serial tied to the user, nothing that stands out and could be easily stripped out, hide it in the code itself.

Much easier to search for an address string than some random number

OldRover

NightWolve, what you say would apply in any other community... here in PCE land, people give a damn. Hell, my team's game was ripped and pirated only a few months after its release and we still sold the thing out because the people in this scene are so supportive. Having a ROM image out in the open isn't going to change anything; the people in this scene will still support Aetherbyte because they give a damn about homebrew and the people who make it. Can't say the same about other communities... this is one of the many things that makes this community so special.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

NightWolve

Quote from: The Old Rover on 08/07/2014, 03:10 AMNightWolve, what you say would apply in any other community... here in PCE land, people give a damn. Hell, my team's game was ripped and pirated only a few months after its release and we still sold the thing out because the people in this scene are so supportive. Having a ROM image out in the open isn't going to change anything; the people in this scene will still support Aetherbyte because they give a damn about homebrew and the people who make it. Can't say the same about other communities... this is one of the many things that makes this community so special.
Well, you had the disadvantage of the CD format with Mysterious Song, so guaranteed pirating by ANY customer as soon as it arrived. In this case, it takes a customer with a HuCard reader/dumper. When it comes to SNES and Genesis, I've seen those things for sale, but, I've never seen one for NEC products... They exist obviously, but I think pretty damn rare and certainly rare relative to SNES/Genesis. Point is, you have a temporary anti-piracy situation with a HuCard and if it was me, I'd take full advantage of it. Yeah, it could get dumped eventually, but odds are much in favor that it'd take a lot longer than a new fan SNES or Genesis cart.

I know peeps here are very generous and supportive, but yeah, all it takes is one guy... At the same time, we still get sharks, backstabbers, reselling profiteers, etc. floating around here all the same (e.g. the guy that took Bonknuts' Megaman work and made a CD out of it without any permission), so it's not a 100% thing.

Anyway, from what Arkhan says, he will be sold out of the physical versions by the time it's all said and done based on the demand he's gauging and what they're going to produce, so I guess it's kinda moot. Still, I would've just gotten the full production run out of the way, sold it all off, and then did some digital option, etc.

OldRover

Well, my point was that it doesn't matter... people are still going to buy. That's also what Arkhan was saying. One guy dumps it, ten guys dump it... it matters not... the people here will still buy it and support Aetherbyte because they care. The Megaman piracy thing was an interesting case, but one might also argue that Tom was never going to sell it anyway, considering he was working with a copyrighted and trademarked game, still protected IP... the idiot who decided to sell it just stuck his own neck out there, looking for an axe. Anyway, Arkhan is still going to get the full production run anyway because of how this community operates.  I totally get where you're coming from though. Had this been anywhere else, I'd totally agree.

Arkhan Asylum

If someone takes Atlantean and tries to bootleg it, good luck.   lol.

It would involve someone else making HuCards, we all know what they're SUPPOSED to look like.    They won't come with a POG, and, we can be all lawsuit happy because THIS IS AMERICA AND ITS HOW WE DO. 

synbiosfan

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/06/2014, 10:12 PMPyramid Plunder, somewhere less than that, but getting close?  The sales taper off and then you sell one every few months, basically.  If that
I actually ordered this last night!

Late to the party but trying to catch up :P

OldRover

I'm gonna buy both as soon as I have some extra cash after moving/working. :) Need to rebuild my collection (again). AND YES, I PLAY THEM, I AIN'T A COLLECTARD. :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: synbiosfan on 08/07/2014, 12:45 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/06/2014, 10:12 PMPyramid Plunder, somewhere less than that, but getting close?  The sales taper off and then you sell one every few months, basically.  If that
I actually ordered this last night!

Late to the party but trying to catch up :P
Oh that was you?   Good thing you caught me in the middle of printing labels out!  It's going to get shipped out the rest of this nonsense. 

synbiosfan

I was surprised at how quickly I received the shipping notice, now it makes sense 8)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: synbiosfan on 08/07/2014, 01:15 PMI was surprised at how quickly I received the shipping notice, now it makes sense 8)
Yeah usually I don't get to it until the end of the week but I was like mid-printing so I was like YEAH CLICK IT.

mrhaboobi

so its 9:05AM in NZ.. iwant to order already :) i can see whats going to happen, i will be asleep when orders kick in.. blah...
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

Alydnes Super Grafx

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: mrhaboobi on 08/07/2014, 05:05 PMso its 9:05AM in NZ.. iwant to order already :) i can see whats going to happen, i will be asleep when orders kick in.. blah...
better get juiced the fuck up bronad.

FiftyQuid

synbiosfan

Dicer

FiftyQuid

I'm refreshing the aetherbyte website like mad.  Midnight release my ass.  :P

OhBoyGoFuckYourself.jpg

Man this image made me laugh.  Had to post it.  LOL

o.pwuaioc

What should I be F5'ing, the blog or the Antlantean page?

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 08/08/2014, 01:21 AMWhat should I be F5'ing, the blog or the Antlantean page?
Antlantean page
IMG

mrhaboobi

Looking for (MINT ONLY)

Alydnes Super Grafx

shubibiman

Me want copy. Japanese copy. Many many thanks. :p
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

LostFlunky

tggodfrey

no kidding.......waiting...waiting....waiting
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

NecroPhile

He said sales wouldn't go live until some time this evening:  "It'll be in the evening, EST time.   When I get in from work..."
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!