10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Emulators

Started by Nando, 08/06/2014, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

What are you favorite Windows based EMU's the following systems?

PCE
NES
Genesis
SNES
Neo-Geo

*not condoning piracy in any shape or form.

Bernie

Quote from: Nando on 08/06/2014, 01:29 PMWhat are you favorite Windows based EMU's the following systems?

PCE
NES
Genesis
SNES
Neo-Geo

PCE--Ootake followed closely by ME.  I find Ootake is best for CD based games.

NES-- Nestopia.  Love its set-up, and the ability to play disk games.  Out of all the NES emulators, this is my fave.

Genesis- Kega Fusion, or whatever its new name is. Best emu for it IMO, and being able to play discs as well as Master System games is a win win.

SNES--Snes 9x is my choice here by a landslide.  Easy to set up, and never had issues with it.

Neo-Geo-- I have not messed with this one enough to draw a conclusion.

All of my emulators are installed on one machine, hooked up to my TV.  I use a SNES USB controller for gaming, sometimes I will choose a TG-16 one or my NES USB one, but mainly I stick with the SNES version.  I can map all the buttons I need for all the systems in this era. 

Now for the Playstation...  I use pSX.  Some prefer the ePSXe emu, but I tend to stick with the latter.  I have never had issues playing what I want to play with it, which is mainly fan translations or imports. 

Oh, and I could give two poots about piracy on these old games..  LOL.  Current gen stuff, sure...but damn we talking 20 plus years here.  :lol:

Nando

Opethian

PCE - Magic Engine
NES - FCE Ultra
Genesis - Gens
SNES - ZSNES
Neo-Geo - neoragex or MAME
NeoCD - NEORaine
IMG

NecroPhile

I mostly use Magic Engine for Turbob and Magic Engine FX for PC-FX.  Those other systems do not matter.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bernie

Quote from: guest on 08/06/2014, 05:45 PMI mostly use Magic Engine for Turbob and Magic Engine FX for PC-FX.  Those other systems do not matter.  :mrgreen:
When I saw you had posted, I could almost imagine what you said before reading it...  lmao

Dicer

Ugh Windows... here is what I use on my superior Linux box.

Retroarch (multi)
Zsnes - Snes
Gens - Genesis
Magic Engine (runs via wine flawlessly)
Gfce - Nes
Stella - Atari 2600
UAE - Amiga
MAME - Duh
DosBox - Not much cause Amiga versions are better  :lol:

Tatsujin

emus are for lil girls ^^
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mishran

Emulators are nice when the real deal isn't possible. When at home I play the real systems. On the go, work, trips, etc. I rely on emus to get my fix. Only systems I bother with though is PCE (naturally!), NeoGeo, or Gameboy/Color/Advance and do all my gaming via Android with my phone or tablet.

wildfruit

Psphugo is a bit buggy
 neutopia runs really slow.

Arjak

PCE - Magic Engine (Ootake crashes easier than a drunk driver every time I gave it a shot. Mednafen? Only people who have command line or frontend fetishes would use that as their primary emu.)

NES - FCE Ultra (I went from using Nesticle to this. I've never looked back.)

Genesis - KEGA Fusion (I used Gens for a while, but I like Fusion better.)

SNES - Higan (Formerly bSNES. This seems to be the only SNES emulator that gives a shit about hardware accuracy.)

Neo-Geo - None (I'm not really into Neo-Geo much...)
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

o.pwuaioc

Real console or die.

Bernie

Strange, I have never had Ootake crash on me Arjak.  Do you have it configured properly? What OS are you running it on?

Arjak

Quote from: Bernie on 08/07/2014, 07:36 PMStrange, I have never had Ootake crash on me Arjak.  Do you have it configured properly? What OS are you running it on?
Windows 7. It mostly crashes when I load a game, especially if I try to change the settings from their defaults.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

roflmao

Interesting.  I use Ootake on Windows 7 and have never had a problem with it either.  It's really the only emulator I use, aside from this NES screensaver.

ctophil

I'm a purist.  So, I don't play emulators.  I used to a long time ago because I was working so much that there was no time to sit at home with a classic console.  But these days, it's straight real hardware with their games baby.  lol.  There is nothing like the feeling of the original controller in hand, console, and how the graphics & sound are the way it supposed to be.

ParanoiaDragon

Question, for those familiar with all the SNES emulator's, does anyone know of any where you can turn on & off each sound channel(I think there are 8 total?).  I want to record individual sound channels, & either I'm not finding that option in the emu's I've tried, or there's an emu I haven't tried yet.
IMG

seieienbu

You can turn off sound channels with zsnes with default inputs  of F5~F12 for which-ever channel you're trying to mute.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ParanoiaDragon

Sweet, thank you!!!
IMG

KnightWarrior

I use my Wii to Emulate Mosty

PCE/TG16 - WiiMednafen
NES - FCE Ultra GX
SNES - SNES9X GX
Ganesis - Genesis Plus GX
GB/GBC/GBA - Visual Boy Advance GX
2600 - StallaWii
7800 - Wii7800

esteban

Q: emu?
A: until an emulator for XaviX is available, there is no need.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Sort of related, anyone know if any arcade emu's where you can turn on & off the sound channels?  I need to capture some songs from the Mega Man arcade games, & want to get each sound channel so I'm accurate when I recreate them, especially for the solo in Gutsman's theme!
IMG

PukeSter

I use OpenEmu, which is a great emulator containing multiple systems.

It's only on mac though.

What I like about it is that save states are really easy to make and access, and the emulator makes an automatic save state when you quit your game.

Also, you can upload cover art for all of your roms, so you feel like you have your own library. Some roms come with cover art (like Phantasy Star IV), but most don't.

esadajr

Quote from: Nando on 08/06/2014, 01:29 PMWhat are you favorite Windows based EMU's the following systems?

PCE
NES
Genesis
SNES
Neo-Geo

I rarely use emulators nowadays. These would be my choices under Win7 and XP

PCE - Magic Engine, Turbo engine
NES - FCEU, JNES, VirtuaNES (back then Nesticle)
GEN - Kega. (back in the day, Genecyst and KGen)
SNES - ZSnes
Neo Geo - MAME, NeoRageX (the XP hack)
PSX - ePSXe (back in the day Bleem and VGS)
x68000 - Winx68k (not that there are options)
Saturn - SSF, Cassini
GB / GBC / GBA - Visualboy Advance

Late 90s early 2000s was the golden age of emulation.
Gaming since 1985