spreading tg16 like a virus

Started by escarioth, 08/12/2014, 12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 08/14/2014, 04:43 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/14/2014, 02:54 PMWhich brings to mind some of the TG16 configurations that came out. besides the Keith Courage Pack-in unit there was one that included Bonks Revenge and Keith Courage. There were mail away deals for extra games. And I know I've seen the Holiday Unit with Air Zonk in a santa suit before.

Let alone pack-ins for the Duo (mostly with the HuCard included changing from Dungeon Explorer, to Ninja Spirit to something more random). And various packages of games included via mailing in the reciept and UPC with the Turbo express.
Extra pack-ins started appearing with the Turbografx  in late '92. I bought a Toys R Us deck in Sept. '92 and got squat, just Keith Courage. My friend bought one a coupe months later with the big holiday sticker on the front and got a free JJ & Jeff in addition to Keith. The "free Bonk" was a thing for a while, but a lot of a cheap, older games were given away.

The four, free TE games offer is shown in the ad that Black Tiger linked on page two, with a choice of Pac-Land, Vigilante, Victory Run, Alien Crush, Fantasy Zone, and Power Golf.

The early ads and promo fliers for the Duo showed Ninja Spirit as the free Hucard. I know that changed after a while, but where did you see Dungeon Explorer as the first Hucard pack-in? All of my materials show Ninja Spirit as the original.
I got my TurboGrafx for Christmas in 1990 and it had a mail away for an extra game (I got Pac-Land).

As far as Dungeon Explorer as the Duo pack-in goes, this is from the pre-release promo VHS tape which was available as early as 1992 Summer CES (May or June 1992). VHS promocional: TurboGrafx 16 y TurboDuo - Power Up

I got a Duo holiday season 1992 and it did indeed include Dungeon Explorer (which I already had at the time).
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

Quote from: VestCunt on 08/14/2014, 04:43 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/14/2014, 02:54 PMWhich brings to mind some of the TG16 configurations that came out. besides the Keith Courage Pack-in unit there was one that included Bonks Revenge and Keith Courage. There were mail away deals for extra games. And I know I've seen the Holiday Unit with Air Zonk in a santa suit before.

Let alone pack-ins for the Duo (mostly with the HuCard included changing from Dungeon Explorer, to Ninja Spirit to something more random). And various packages of games included via mailing in the reciept and UPC with the Turbo express.
Extra pack-ins started appearing with the Turbografx  in late '92. I bought a Toys R Us deck in Sept. '92 and got squat, just Keith Courage. My friend bought one a coupe months later with the big holiday sticker on the front and got a free JJ & Jeff in addition to Keith. The "free Bonk" was a thing for a while, but a lot of a cheap, older games were given away.

The four, free TE games offer is shown in the ad that Black Tiger linked on page two, with a choice of Pac-Land, Vigilante, Victory Run, Alien Crush, Fantasy Zone, and Power Golf.

The early ads and promo fliers for the Duo showed Ninja Spirit as the free Hucard. I know that changed after a while, but where did you see Dungeon Explorer as the first Hucard pack-in? All of my materials show Ninja Spirit as the original.
Dungeon Explorer was listed as the TurboDuo pack-in HuCard from as early on as the pack-in games were first revealed in magazines and right up to the release of the system. I was shocked when I finally got the Duo upon release and they had swapped the games at the last minute. I already had them both, but it made sense to go with Ninja Spirit for a bit more variety, since RPG/Adventure and 5-player gameplay were covered by other included games.

I think that any media showing Ninja Spirit as the pack-in must be from after (or around the time) the TurboDuo was released.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 08/14/2014, 06:46 PMDungeon Explorer was listed as the TurboDuo pack-in HuCard from as early on as the pack-in games were first revealed in magazines and right up to the release of the system. I was shocked when I finally got the Duo upon release and they had swapped the games at the last minute. I already had them both, but it made sense to go with Ninja Spirit for a bit more variety, since RPG/Adventure and 5-player gameplay were covered by other included games.

I think that any media showing Ninja Spirit as the pack-in must be from after (or around the time) the TurboDuo was released.
Interesting, mine was purchased in October/November of 92 and it still came with Dungeon Explorer. My guess is the copies included were New Old Stock and when they ran out they started packing in Ninja Spirit. I recall a later TTI promo video announcing Ninja Spirit as the pack-in HuCard. And I know much much later some poor souls got Power Golf instead of either of the other two.
--DragonmasterDan

geise

I got my Duo at launch and it was Ninja Spirit.  It makes sense over DE since Ninja Spirit was an arcade game.  It's a fantastic port.  I also love DE.  Such amazing music.  Either choice was good to me.

tggodfrey

Yeah my duo had Ninja Spirit and I got mine a month or two after launch.  For years I insisted I never got NS or DE but when I completed Ninja Spirit there were bosses I already knew the patterns to so I am confident that I got Ninja Spirit and just forgot about it.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

Nando

Quote from: escarioth on 08/12/2014, 12:16 PMI remember here in quebec , we had only a tv spot to promote the console...
and Radio shack  :-&
Weird. I lived in Montreal and remember seeing it around quite a bit. This was late 89 mind you. I used to go to the arcade at place alexis nihon. the electronic boutique; or whatever it was called, right next to it used to let one play TG16 games for free.

escarioth

Quote from: Nando on 08/14/2014, 09:03 PMWeird. I lived in Montreal and remember seeing it around quite a bit. This was late 89 mind you. I used to go to the arcade at place alexis nihon. the electronic boutique; or whatever it was called, right next to it used to let one play TG16 games for free.
WHen i say quebec, i meant the country not the city :) im actually from saguenay so...here i only saw 2 tv spot, if you're from montreal you might have seen more pub. here :) sorry folks, they're french pubs from quebec, but you could watch them , they're fun :)
US Hucards     :  86/94 (1 repro)
US CD-games  : 40/44 (3 repros)
total complete with boxes 54/111

HailingTheThings

Quote from: escarioth on 08/14/2014, 10:14 PM
Quote from: Nando on 08/14/2014, 09:03 PMWeird. I lived in Montreal and remember seeing it around quite a bit. This was late 89 mind you. I used to go to the arcade at place alexis nihon. the electronic boutique; or whatever it was called, right next to it used to let one play TG16 games for free.
WHen i say quebec, i meant the country not the city :) im actually from saguenay so...here i only saw 2 tv spot, if you're from montreal you might have seen more pub. here :) sorry folks, they're french pubs from quebec, but you could watch them , they're fun :)
I like that the Fighting Street disc resembles the JP ver. in the second commercial. Also, I wish there was a Bonk cartoon.
IMG

CPTRAVE

Quote from: escarioth on 08/12/2014, 12:51 AMI always though since the old days that a TG16 could step up to nintendo and sega back then.
Sadly, so many people never even heard about this game console... its quite surprising. I dont know about you guys from diferent places and countrys, but at my place.. i guess we were'nt that many. Only met 5 people so far...  (face to face)

And now, years later. When i find someone crazy about nintendo & sega....
without a TG16/duo. the fun really start.

The look on their face when i make them play bonk, legendary axe, castlevania or lord of thunder. They totally freak out and weeks later have a TG16 at their home. Makes me wonder how things would be now if many more people would have fell in love with it sooner.
Yeah, I have met people where they say they have ALL the old systems, and I ask them about the TG16, they say "Whats that?"

wyndcrosser

I never knew Turbografx or Neo Geo until the last 5 years or so. I own both now, both have their share of "ruff" titles, but there are a lot of gems. I've got a few games on my shelf that I need to complete for Turbografx CD. Thank god that it's regionfree, as the Turbografxcd is a little more expensive than the pc engine duo.

KGD

Grew up with Nintendos, until one day I sold my SNES to buy a front-loading Sega CD. Upon playing it the first time, I almost cried (I remember the feeling very vividly), thought I had made a great mistake and wanted my SNES with Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, FF2-3 and Lufia back. I stuck with Sega a bit more then bought a Saturn a while after it came out, then Dreamcast (which I loved).

The TG16 had always been a curiosity for me - very few people I knew had one, and most of my friends were into video games. I remember playing Looping at a friend's, and not liking it at all, dismissing the console. I came back to the console very randomly only recently. I always knew what it was, but had never actually sat down and played a good game on one.

Glad I gave it a chance. Been powering on one more than any of my other consoles for weeks now.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 08/17/2014, 01:14 AMWtf is looping??
It's a game I have for Colecovision :-D
--DragonmasterDan

Tatsujin

I heard and saw of the PCE the first time back in 1988 and I knew that this thing is gonna shoot of big bullets. it could do 1:1 arcade R-Type almost right of the start. it had me right away.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

KGD

Quote from: guest on 08/17/2014, 01:14 AMWtf is looping??
My bad, that's the title of the French version of Talespin.

wildfruit

I think my NES cost about £100 with turtles as a pack in. This was when you could get nearly $2 to £1.
DO THE MATH!

CrackTiger

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/19/2014, 01:29 AMI think my NES cost about £100 with turtles as a pack in. This was when you could get nearly $2 to £1.
DO THE MATH!
That's in a region where it didn't dominate the market. That's also either a store's bundle or Nintendo's cost increased by packing in another company's game for some reason
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

wildfruit

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2014, 12:57 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 08/19/2014, 01:29 AMI think my NES cost about £100 with turtles as a pack in. This was when you could get nearly $2 to £1.
DO THE MATH!
That's in a region where it didn't dominate the market. That's also either a store's bundle or Nintendo's cost increased by packing in another company's game for some reason
It was an official pack in. It had turtles on the box and everything.

CrackTiger

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/19/2014, 03:34 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 08/19/2014, 12:57 PM
DO THE MATH!
So it was definitely more expensive than a regular Nintendo set, in which Nintendo wouldn't be paying both Konami and Eastman/Laird/misc.

wildfruit

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2014, 04:51 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 08/19/2014, 03:34 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/19/2014, 12:57 PM
DO THE MATH!
So it was definitely more expensive than a regular Nintendo set, in which Nintendo wouldn't be paying both Konami and Eastman/Laird/misc.
I'm not sure, the only magazine scan I can find relevant puts the price of the control deck with no game at £99 a year or so prior. Cant find anything to truly compare. I do remember games were around £40 each though.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/19/2014, 03:34 PMIt was an official pack in. It had turtles on the box and everything.
Two Raphs, One Box?

IMG
IMG

wildfruit

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 08/19/2014, 05:08 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 08/19/2014, 03:34 PMIt was an official pack in. It had turtles on the box and everything.
Two Raphs, One Box?

IMG
You don't know how happy I was to unwrap that. It was either Christmas '90 or April '91. Memory hazy.

vexcollects

Why do ads from the 80's have pics of people holding controllers like a foreign object being examined in a homicide case? These are ways I've never even considered holding a controller. Well, that's it, I'm going to play every system holding the controller like the kid on the nes ninja turtle box. I figure it must be the key to a high score or something.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: vexcollects on 08/19/2014, 09:00 PMWhy do ads from the 80's have pics of people holding controllers like a foreign object being examined in a homicide case? These are ways I've never even considered holding a controller. Well, that's it, I'm going to play every system holding the controller like the kid on the nes ninja turtle box. I figure it must be the key to a high score or something.
It almost looks as if he's to start the "Jerk n' Toss" motion. That'd be priceless.
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 08/19/2014, 05:08 PM
Two Raphs, One Box?
IMG
What is this, they were too scared to use "ninja" over in Europe ? So they're known as "teenage mutant hero turtles" over there ?

vexcollects

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 08/19/2014, 10:10 PM
Quote from: vexcollects on 08/19/2014, 09:00 PMWhy do ads from the 80's have pics of people holding controllers like a foreign object being examined in a homicide case? These are ways I've never even considered holding a controller. Well, that's it, I'm going to play every system holding the controller like the kid on the nes ninja turtle box. I figure it must be the key to a high score or something.
It almost looks as if he's to start the "Jerk n' Toss" motion. That'd be priceless.
I hadn't thought about that and now I'm sad that I had too.... :-k

wildfruit

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/20/2014, 12:27 AMIt was an official pack in. It had turtles
What is this, they were too scared to use "ninja" over in Europe ? So they're known as "teenage mutant hero turtles" over there ?
Yes. Also note michaelangelo doesn't have his nunchucks. Also contra was changed to robots instead of people and called probotector.

vexcollects

You know what I remember about the TG16 when I was a kid? I remember having to sell it when my jack ass step father was upset that I didn't have any money to buy Christmas presents (cuz he's a child) so he made me feel bad about being a 13 year old kid with no money. So, I sold it to buy Christmas presents.

I should have slit his throat while he was sleeping on Christmas eve. That would be like getting a gift for the whole family (and it cost nothing.....except my freedom.....totally worth it).

NightWolve

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/20/2014, 12:38 AMAlso contra was changed to robots instead of people and called probotector.
Hah! No kidding.

wildfruit

Quote from: vexcollects on 08/20/2014, 12:41 AMYou know what I remember about the TG16 when I was a kid? I remember having to sell it when my jack ass step father was upset that I didn't have any money to buy Christmas presents (cuz he's a child) so he made me feel bad about being a 13 year old kid with no money. So, I sold it to buy Christmas presents.

I should have slit his throat while he was sleeping on Christmas eve. That would be like getting a gift for the whole family (and it cost nothing.....except my freedom.....totally worth it).
This needs to be avenged.
Non violently of course.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/20/2014, 12:49 AM
Quote from: vexcollects on 08/20/2014, 12:41 AMYou know what I remember about the TG16 when I was a kid? I remember having to sell it when my jack ass step father was upset that I didn't have any money to buy Christmas presents (cuz he's a child) so he made me feel bad about being a 13 year old kid with no money. So, I sold it to buy Christmas presents.

This needs to be avenged.
Non violently of course.
Or at lest throw an egg at him

esteban

I missed this thread! Damn. I'm slowly trying to catch up on topics I missed.

Ha! Actually, it still happens today. If you are selling something, you want to show it off. Using a product "correctly" will cover-up and hide all the goodness.

A really good composition will minimize this "awkwardness" whilst showing as much of the "crucial" parts of an item...but a bad composition just looks silly.

BACK ON TOPIC: ok, not really, since I'm more interested in the big discussion on PRICES and how they evolved overt the lifespan of a console + all the bundles + free offers etc. 

I have a lot of updating to do, but you can SORT BY PRICE in TurboPlay ARCHIVES by clicking on "$$$" or typing "$" in the search field for "description":

SORT by price  ( https://archives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm?&col=desc&val=$ )

It's fun to see what's listed now, but, as I said, it will be be much better when I update all the listings:

$180.00 Sega Chair

$250.00 Playboy TE coverage (non covered)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG