RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Greatest Console, all time

Started by slinkyturd, 08/14/2014, 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToyMachine78

Quote from: slinkyturd on 09/04/2014, 07:19 PMN64 is clearly a better choice over PS1. PS1 has a hundred terrible ass crap games for every one playable one. N64 was quality over quantity.
I think the N64 is the slinky turd in this conversation. Besides Mario kart, Mario world, and the Zelda's, I would rather play double dragon on the 2600 than own a N64 again.

bob

Quote from: slinkyturd on 09/04/2014, 07:19 PMN64 is clearly a better choice over PS1. PS1 has a hundred terrible ass crap games for every one playable one. N64 was quality over quantity.
:lol:

o.pwuaioc

The N64 is absolutely dwarfed by the PS1 with respect to the number of awesome titles. Anyone who places the 64 over the PS1 or even the Saturn hasn't properly played them. I'll maybe make an exception with the Saturn going by OP's definition of various attributes (N64 sold more than Saturn, but mostly because the Saturn tanked in the US). The PS1 though kills it on so many counts. Not only did the PS1 outsell the N64 3 to 1 worldwide, it doubled US sales, too. Mario may have been a big hit still, but more people were itching to play Final Fantasy VII (a game I don't even like), Metal Gear Solid, Twisted Metal, Gran Turismo, and Tekken, to name some of their biggest hits. For every great game on the N64, there were two on the PS1. And even today, it holds up extremely well, with awesome fighters, shooters, and RPGs, all of which weren't really feasible on the N64 (or more likely were ignored by companies and even Nintendo itself).

That said, I'm not one of those haters who craps on anyone who likes the N64. I just know what is top 10 material and what isn't, and the N64 isn't.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2014, 08:14 PMThe N64 is absolutely dwarfed by the PS1 with respect to the number of awesome titles. Anyone who places the 64 over the PS1 or even the Saturn hasn't properly played them. I'll maybe make an exception with the Saturn going by OP's definition of various attributes (N64 sold more than Saturn, but mostly because the Saturn tanked in the US). The PS1 though kills it on so many counts. Not only did the PS1 outsell the N64 3 to 1 worldwide, it doubled US sales, too. Mario may have been a big hit still, but more people were itching to play Final Fantasy VII (a game I don't even like), Metal Gear Solid, Twisted Metal, Gran Turismo, and Tekken, to name some of their biggest hits. For every great game on the N64, there were two on the PS1. And even today, it holds up extremely well, with awesome fighters, shooters, and RPGs, all of which weren't really feasible on the N64 (or more likely were ignored by companies and even Nintendo itself).

That said, I'm not one of those haters who craps on anyone who likes the N64. I just know what is top 10 material and what isn't, and the N64 isn't.
This +1

slinkyturd

And yet very little of these "good games" on PS1 are worth anyone's time now...
70/95 US Turbochips

o.pwuaioc

False!

Alundra
Ape Escape
Breath of Fire III/IV
Breath of Fire IV
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
DonPachi/DoDonPachi
Dragon Warrior VII
Final Fantasy IX
King's Field/II
Klonoa
MediEvil/2
Mega Man X4-X6
Metal Gear Solid
Namco Museum Volumes 1-5 + Encore
Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee
R-Type Delta
R-Types
RayCrisis
Twisted Metal
Vagrant Story

As I said, for every good game on the N64, I can name you two on either the PS1 or Saturn.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: slinkyturd on 09/04/2014, 09:50 PMAnd yet very little of these "good games" on PS1 are worth anyone's time now...
As are N64 games. The N64 can lick my taint.

vexcollects

I don't know man. I've shared my dislike of the N64, but it has some good games. I can't agree with the quality of quantity stuff though. Wasn't that exactly what Nintendo kept saying because it was taking super long to get games out to market in the first year and there were not enough third party developers actually making games for it (in comparison to the PS1)? It always sounded like a defensive strategy to me. "Quality" games is so subjective anyway.

It reminds me of the Atari Jaguar strategy catch phrase, "Do the Math", because it had 2x32bit processors or something like that. Like some arbitrary quantification made the quality better somehow. Sour grapes that their console was faltering.

I still remember being super pumped for DOOM 64, enough to pay the ridiculous $109 + tax (from my recollection, which could be wrong) that it cost in Canada when it came out. I recently re-bought it for less than $10 after shipping costs. hehe.

slinkyturd

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2014, 10:03 PMFalse!

Alundra
Ape Escape
Breath of Fire III/IV
Breath of Fire IV
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
DonPachi/DoDonPachi
Dragon Warrior VII
Final Fantasy IX
King's Field/II
Klonoa
MediEvil/2
Mega Man X4-X6
Metal Gear Solid
Namco Museum Volumes 1-5 + Encore
Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee
R-Type Delta
R-Types
RayCrisis
Twisted Metal
Vagrant Story

As I said, for every good game on the N64, I can name you two on either the PS1 or Saturn.
Quote from: slinkyturd on 08/13/2014, 06:20 PMArmy Men Sarg's Heroes
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tootie
Battletanx: Global Assault
Clayfighters 63 1/3
Gauntlet Legends
Gex
Goldeneye
Indiana Jones Infernal Machine
Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 1-3
Mortal Kombat 4 (disasterously underrated)
NFL Blitz (all three of them)
Perfect Dark
Rampage
Resident Evil 2
Star Fox 64
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Super Smash Bros.
Tony Hawk (1, 2, or 3 but not all of them. They are all the same game really, and I only have the patience for about one game's worth of time.)
Turok (all 4 of them. Yes, even Rage Wars)
WCW World Tour and Revenge
World is not Enough 64
Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
I just listed 32+ games in another thread for N64 that stand the test of time and I didn't have to list collections of games from other systems to do it. I say prove your point. Name me 60 good games for PS1 that stand the test of time. I'd also like to further prove MY point that N64 was quality over quantity as N64 had what? under 400 games for it? PS1 had over 1300 and I'd bet that well over a thousand of them are complete garbage.
70/95 US Turbochips

o.pwuaioc

First, you and I have different ideas about what stands the test of time, as several of those games are either boring or horrendously outdated. NFL Blitz, MK4, Indiana Jones, etc. And Tony Hawk and Rampage are also found on other consoles. Still, you want 60, you got 60. You want it without Namco (nevermind the fact that those are arcade compilations)? Here you are.

1.   Ace Combat 2
2.   Alundra
3.   Ape Escape
4.   Breath of Fire III
5.   Breath of Fire IV
6.   Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
7.   Chrono Cross
8.   Crash Bandicoot
9.   Crash Bandicoot 2
10.   Crash Bandicoot Warped
11.   DarkStalkers 3
12.   DonPachi
13.   Dragon Warrior VII
14.   Einhander
15.   Final Fantasy IX
16.   Final Fantasy Tactics
17.   G-Darius
18.   Galaga: Destination Earth
19.   Gradius Gaiden
20.   Guilty Gear
21.   In the Hunt
22.   King's Field
23.   King's Field II
24.   Klonoa
25.   Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
26.   Legend of Dragoon
27.   Legend of Legaia
28.   MDK
29.   MediEvil
30.   MediEvil 2
31.   Mega Man 8
32.   Mega Man X4
33.   Mega Man X5
34.   Mega Man X6
35.   Metal Gear Solid
36.   Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee
37.   Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
38.   R-Type Delta
39.   R-Types
40.   RayCrisis
41.   Ridge Racer 4
42.   Shooter: Space Shot
43.   Silent Hill
44.   Silent Hill 2
45.   Soul Reaver
46.   Star Ocean: Second Story
47.   Street Fighter Alpha 3
48.   Strider 2
49.   Suikoden
50.   Suikoden II
51.   Threads of Fate
52.   Tomb Raider
53.   Tomb Raider II
54.   Tomb Raider III
55.   Tomba!
56.   Tomba! 2
57.   Twisted Metal
58.   Twisted Metal 2
59.   Vagrant Story
60.   Valkyrie Profile
61.   Vandal Hearts
62.   Vandal Hearts II
63.   Wild 9
64.   Wild Arms
65.   Wild Arms 2
66.   Wipeout 3
67.   X-Com: Terror of the Deep
68.   Xenogears

There you go, 60+ great games, without enough extra to appease any objections. I could even add more. I left off stuff I personally wasn't a fan of or were way better on other consoles (or since I have them on other consoles I forgot about them).

vexcollects

Quote from: guest on 09/05/2014, 10:07 AMwow, this thread is still going? :lol:
The greatest console debate will never die... Just like which is better, Coke or Pepsi? (clearly it's Coke)

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: vexcollects on 09/05/2014, 10:34 AM
Quote from: Nulltard on 09/05/2014, 10:07 AMwow, this thread is still going? :lol:
The greatest console debate will never die... Just like which is better, Coke or Pepsi? (clearly it's Coke)
That debate was manufactured by Pepsi. No one actually like Pepsi better, and those that do don't matter.

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 09/05/2014, 10:42 AM
That debate was manufactured by Pepsi. No one actually like Pepsi better, and those that do don't matter.
I will fight you both right now. You're wrong and I'm right. Pepsi is better than Coke.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 09/05/2014, 11:29 AMI will fight you both right now. You're wrong and I'm right. Pepsi is better than Coke.
Royal Crown or GTFO.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

o.pwuaioc

removed

vexcollects

Quote from: guest on 09/05/2014, 01:29 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/05/2014, 12:00 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/05/2014, 11:52 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/05/2014, 11:29 AMI will fight you both right now. You're wrong and I'm right. Pepsi is better than Coke.
Royal Crown or GTFO.
Crown Royal or GTFO.
Crown and Coke OR sippin on Crown Special Reserve. All are welcome.

(Edit: Pepsi still sucks.)
I'm glad I brought it up.

...and Sega is much better than Pepsi, but Coke is not as good as the PCE/TG16.

jtucci31

Pepsi is on par with Turbo. I'll take FEKA over Coke any day.

johnnymad

Pepsi and Coke are both good. I'm off of both though. Have to lose a few pounds.

vexcollects

Quote from: johnnymad on 09/05/2014, 10:14 PMPepsi and Coke are both good. I'm off of both though. Have to lose a few pounds.
No no man, I heard that if you drink Pepsi and Coke together it acts as a natural laxative. Those pounds just melt right off. But I'm off on a tangent. The NUON. Greatest console ever.

johnnymad

Quote from: vexcollects on 09/06/2014, 12:35 AMNo no man, I heard that if you drink Pepsi and Coke together it acts as a natural laxative. Those pounds just melt right off. But I'm off on a tangent.
Brilliant! I'll try that and post results.

cr8zykuban0

besides the pcengine, I would say ps2, n64 and neo geo

Mzo

Easily the PS2 when you take into account that it can play PS games.

Plenty for everyone in that library.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

esadajr

Quote from: Mzo on 09/07/2014, 02:15 AMEasily the PS2 when you take into account that it can play PS games.

With the amount of undiscovered gems between the PS1 and PS2, who really needs the PS3? (not even getting into PS4 territory)
Gaming since 1985

vexcollects

Quote from: esadajr on 09/08/2014, 11:53 AM
Quote from: Mzo on 09/07/2014, 02:15 AMEasily the PS2 when you take into account that it can play PS games.

With the amount of undiscovered gems between the PS1 and PS2, who really needs the PS3? (not even getting into PS4 territory)
No one! But they craved the Blu-Ray. It's why I bought one. several years later I don't play my Xbox 360 or my PS4.....just my PS3 and 30 - 40 games. Great system, just took some time to get there.

o.pwuaioc

But it can it play HuCards/Huckards/Hyucurds/Turbochips? I think not!

Otaking

New Happy Console Gamer video on his greatest console of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: vexcollects on 09/06/2014, 12:35 AM
Quote from: johnnymad on 09/05/2014, 10:14 PMPepsi and Coke are both good. I'm off of both though. Have to lose a few pounds.
No no man, I heard that if you drink Pepsi and Coke together it acts as a natural laxative. Those pounds just melt right off. But I'm off on a tangent. The NUON. Greatest console ever.
I might have to try that as well!!
Quote from: guest on 09/08/2014, 03:28 PM

But it can it play HuCards/Huckards/Hyucurds/Turbochips? I think not!
hmmmm you do got a point there sir!

most definitely! ps1 and 2 have almost every game for every genre you can think of. who needs a ps4?

bartre

slinkyturd

Quote from: guest on 09/17/2014, 01:34 AMI thought the vote in that other thread was pretty decisive.

1st place - my package
Tie for 2nd - PCE and Non

/thread
The only thing you package takes first place on is being smaller than the PC engine. lol truly pocket size.
70/95 US Turbochips