RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Underated Attachments

Started by Medic_wheat, 08/19/2014, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

So what are some of your favorit (underated) attachemts for video game systems?

Maybe you really like the Sega CD like me?

Have a fondness for the Genesis or TG-16 packs

Or simply love the Maracas for the Dreamcast

Sound out, post a pic, and list why you heart your gaming attachments.....

PunkCryborg

NecroPhile

PrintBooster or GTFO.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

cabbage

bob

xcrement5x

Are you talking about like peripherals and accessories, or add-ons to like console hardware?

I love the SegaCD/MegaCD personally as the library is super-underrated as most people think the games are just crappy FMV titles. 

When it comes to peripherals I like light gun games so that is at the top of my list.  I've also enjoyed playing with the XE-1AP analog controller with games that support it.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2014, 12:29 PMAre you talking about like peripherals and accessories, or add-ons to like console hardware?

I love the SegaCD/MegaCD personally as the library is super-underrated as most people think the games are just crappy FMV titles. 

When it comes to peripherals I like light gun games so that is at the top of my list.  I've also enjoyed playing with the XE-1AP analog controller with games that support it.
It could be both. What ever floats your boat

roflmao

Mishran

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2014, 01:48 PMBonk Head for Acemore Freedom 16
Has anyone ever even witnessed its existence? A page in the back of a strat guide is all anyone has to go on.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2014, 02:40 PMAnother great one is the PCE controller extension cord.  I came across one of those and can't wait to see how much it goes for on eBay!
D'oh!

ctophil

I would say the Turbografx-CD add-on.  I only own one game right now.  But looking at the library, it has some of the best CD games of the era, even better than the Sega CD (obviously better than the Atari Jaguar CD) in my opinion.  I'm bidding on Castlevania Dracula X right now.  I hope to get it for a decent price. 

The second peripheral I love is the NES Advantage.  You know, the "arcade joystick" for the NES.  It just felt really good in my hands and incredibly responsive.  It also adds a new dimension and play style to all my favorite games for the system.

Medic_wheat

Highjacking my own thread BUT

Is there a cable for the PC Engine that would allow you to use US controllers on a Japan system?

or visa versa?

or no such thing exist?

ctophil

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/19/2014, 04:12 PMHighjacking my own thread BUT

Is there a cable for the PC Engine that would allow you to use US controllers on a Japan system?

or visa versa?

or no such thing exist?
Yes, here's one for sale on Ebay.  Check it out:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-grafx-16-Pad-to-Duo-Core-Supergrafx-PC-Engine-Controller-adapter-Converter-/251616243659?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a957f2fcb

ctophil

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/19/2014, 04:12 PMHighjacking my own thread BUT

or visa versa?

or no such thing exist?
Yes, here's one for sale on Ebay.  Check it out for Turbografx-16 controller to PC Engine:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-grafx-16-Pad-to-Duo-Core-Supergrafx-PC-Engine-Controller-adapter-Converter-/251616243659?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a957f2fcb

And here is PC Engine Controller to Turbografx-16:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duo-Core-Grafx-1-2-Supergrafx-PC-Engine-To-Turbografx-16-Pad-Controller-adapter-/251525168787?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a90117e93

NecroPhile

There's an official US converter cable for using TG-16 controllers on a TurboDuo, which has the same mini-DIN socket as all PCE systems.  Though it'd obviously be the same thing but with different packaging, I've never seen such an official cable for the Japan market.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

majors

I liked the Namco Negcon for Wipeout:
IMG

I got a Jogcon for R4, never liked it as much as it's predecessor but mine been lost to the ages:
IMG

The Power Base Convertor for Genny was good since I blew up my original SMS bitd:
IMG
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

VestCunt

I always thought the Duo Monitor and Duo Battery Pack were cool ideas. Used to see them on ebay fairly often ten years ago.
Topic Adjourned.

HailingTheThings

While I'm not entirely sure it's underrated, I've always liked the Green Goblin.

IMG
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 08/19/2014, 10:00 PMWhile I'm not entirely sure it's underrated, I've always liked the Green Goblin.

IMG
That is one arcade stick I have on my wish list...

Sure the dreamcast controller is pretty good but that stick always seemed to be hella fun......

jtucci31

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 08/19/2014, 10:00 PMWhile I'm not entirely sure it's underrated, I've always liked the Green Goblin.
Always wanted to get one of those. How are they? And which fighters do you play on them?

TR0N

I do have fondness,for the sega-cd only for it's sprite based games though.I was thinking about the sega saturn netlink earlier for it's time it was a cheap way to have,internet access.
Sega Saturn NetLink - Planetweb Browser 1.0 - Setup Screens and Manual (No modem, SSF)
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/19/2014, 10:55 PM
That is one arcade stick I have on my wish list...

Sure the dreamcast controller is pretty good but that stick always seemed to be hella fun......
If you like teh figh-ters should go for it.

Quote from: guest on 08/19/2014, 11:53 PM
Always wanted to get one of those. How are they? And which fighters do you play on them?
I think its great, got one used from shopgoodwill years ago (the one pictured is not mine) in slightly better than jankball condition. Everything seemed to work fine. Stick and buttons felt responsive, had no issues really. Played it quite a bit for a while, would bring it over to my friends' house when it was time to DC it up. Nowadays, the time for DC'ing doesn't come very often, so my stick sits and weeps. Blame all the sweet current gen fighters such as Blazblue (= sex).

The games I've played using teh gawblinne are as follows:

Garou MOW, CVS, KOF Evolution, KOF Dream Match, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, SF III Third Strike, Last Blade 2, MVC2 and Project Justice: Rival Schools 2 as well others and such. Weeow, I am a cat, mew mew.

IMG
IMG

vexcollects

IMG
I've got two of these! Love them. Great to have a friend over and play some Soul Calibur, Fatal Fury MoW, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and all of the great Dreamcast fighters.

Since I have the CDX I can't consider the Sega CD and add on any more, but that would of ranked up there for sure, and of course the Power Base Converter (catchy name too).

Not to mention the 3DO add on mpeg video module to play VCDs (does this even exist?) :-s

cobrad12

IMG
Can anyone comment on how these are for shmups on the dreamcast. I don't own many fighters but I do have a few shmups and always thought about getting one. Any thoughts??

HailingTheThings

Quote from: cobrad12 on 08/22/2014, 04:11 PM

IMG
Can anyone comment on how these are for shmups on the dreamcast. I don't own many fighters but I do have a few shmups and always thought about getting one. Any thoughts??
I've played Ikarauga, Trigger Heart Exelica, Trizeal, Radilgy, Chaos Field, Karous and various other shmups using this stick in the past, works just fine. I'm not a stick guy when it comes to shmups, but that doesn't mean I won't use it for them for variety's sake every once in a while.
IMG

TheClash603

3D Glasses for the SMS, if that is an attachment?  or is that an accessory?

Non-gaming related, probably the penis apparatus from the movie Se7en.

esteban

PACHINKO CONTROLLER. PCE.

ALSO, the vastly underrated* FLY WING. PCE.

IMG

*No spamming is permitted by the Fly Wing, because 20 MAX PTS.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

pulstar

The Jaguar VR Headset...the future is now...no, sorry the future was then...no, it wasn't the future at all :(

IMG

VR was all the rage back in the early-mid 90s.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Medic_wheat

Quote from: pulstar on 08/23/2014, 05:22 PMThe Jaguar VR Headset...the future is now...no, sorry the future was then...no, it wasn't the future at all :(

IMG

And just like 3D movies it is coming back with vengeance.

Just like my herp......scratch scratch scratch.

cabbage

That Flywing looks the tits. Do you have one, esteban? How does it play?

esteban

Quote from: cabbage on 08/24/2014, 06:36 PMThat Flywing looks the tits. Do you have one, esteban? How does it play?
Hahahahha. Some dude who was here briefly was kind enough to take a nice photo when I asked him. I had never heard if it, EVVVA, and was doubtful it was really a PCE compatible item.

IIRC, it was marketed for all the major platforms....the cables and connectors varied, but the FLY WING was essentially always the FLY WING.

Since I am easily amused, I loved the "20 max pts." Sticker.

johnnymad

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/24/2014, 04:22 PM
Quote from: pulstar on 08/23/2014, 05:22 PMThe Jaguar VR Headset...the future is now...no, sorry the future was then...no, it wasn't the future at all :(

IMG

And just like 3D movies it is coming back with vengeance.

Just like my herp......scratch scratch scratch.
But technology has advanced enough for these things to not totally suck - unlike back then. Which brings me to my next point, where's my hover board, you fancy VR making, 3D watching scientists?

esteban

VR always has, and always will suck my left one.

We will be laughing at the current fad (oculus rift, etc.) soon enough.

3D television and films are niche....limited application....same with VR....very niche, and we will suffer through a lot of poorly implemented and poorly executed VR garbage.

johnnymad

Quote from: esteban on 08/24/2014, 06:52 PMVR always has, and always will suck my left one.

We will be laughing at the current fad (oculus rift, etc.) soon enough.

3D television and films are niche....limited application....same with VR....very niche, and we will suffer through a lot of poorly implemented and poorly executed VR garbage.
You didn't say anything about hover boards. Hover boards are awesome.

jeffhlewis

It's definitely not retro but if we're taking underrated peripherals - the Playstation Move SharpShooter gun attachments are the bee's knees. They're a must for HOTD4, Time Crisis 4 / razing storm and dead storm pirates. Plus they can be had for super cheap if you look around.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 08/24/2014, 11:50 PMIt's definitely not retro but if we're taking underrated peripherals - the Playstation Move SharpShooter gun attachments are the bee's knees. They're a must for HOTD4, Time Crisis 4 / razing storm and dead storm pirates. Plus they can be had for super cheap if you look around.
The playstation move stuff as well as the kinekt stuff semi interested me.

Mostly the time crises game and I want to say the house of the dead...

But it seemed to fail so much so that I dont really see the move controls much.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/25/2014, 10:50 AM
Quote from: jeffhlewis on 08/24/2014, 11:50 PMIt's definitely not retro but if we're taking underrated peripherals - the Playstation Move SharpShooter gun attachments are the bee's knees. They're a must for HOTD4, Time Crisis 4 / razing storm and dead storm pirates. Plus they can be had for super cheap if you look around.
The playstation move stuff as well as the kinekt stuff semi interested me.

Mostly the time crises game and I want to say the house of the dead...

But it seemed to fail so much so that I dont really see the move controls much.
PS Move is definitely temperamental - if you move the gun off screen too much it'll pause the game and make you re-calibrate. Once you get everything set up perfectly though, it works like a charm (actually works better than the Wii controls in most cases). HOTD4 is an amazing home conversion; it's basically arcade-perfect.

xcrement5x

Yeah, I managed to find several of those sharpshooter things new in the box for like $2 when ToysRUs was putting them on clearance.  They are a pretty decent little accessory.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

vexcollects

Is the Turbo Booster Plus an underrated attachment? Many collectors I know didn't even know of the Plus...figured there was only the Turbo Booster. I bought it by accident in a TG16 package and didn't realize until much later that it has memory for saving games.

esteban

Quote from: vexcollects on 08/27/2014, 05:21 PMIs the Turbo Booster Plus an underrated attachment? Many collectors I know didn't even know of the Plus...figured there was only the Turbo Booster. I bought it by accident in a TG16 package and didn't realize until much later that it have memory for saving games.
Well, it's a very useful solution to the RF and game save deficits of a stock TG-16...but even back in the day, it was pricy (I bought one, then sold it to a friend to find TG-CD).

So...great gear, but price was always an issue, IMHO.

Oh, it was friggin' huge, so most folks would add that to the list of problems. Ha!

PukeSter

The SG-1000 Card Catcher.

Despite the MyCards having even less memory than the Carts, the system's best games came out on it.

SEGA Pitfall II, nuff said.