@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Better in Japan?

Started by slinkyturd, 08/21/2014, 11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slinkyturd

Which games that were released for both the PCE and TG16 were clearly better in the Japan region?
*Please exclude any critique on the language barrier.

Conversely, I have another thread started for the opposite here:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17555.0
70/95 US Turbochips

CrackTiger

I'm not going to sort out "bests" by region, so here's my post from the identical thread:

Bonk's middle forms are feminine in the PC Engine versions. I prefer the North American forms, because it's a natural progressions which also better fits the overall theme.

I think that Zonk's bomb is cooler than giant turds, but Denjin has the cool intro. More people seem to prefer Denjin, but I like how the music syncs up in Zonk during the intro.

Godzilla is better on PCE, because the quiz mini-game lets you earn enough points to unlock every form.

Dragon Slayer is clearly better on PCE, because of the CD2 extras.

I think that the original Booby Kids theme works better in Cratermaze than the Doraemon version, but both have great music.

I don't like the Adventure Island intro, so Dragon's Curse is better.

Exile WP is broken, so Exile/EXR II is better.

Exile seems to have not had any cuts and the fading in/out static is fixed, so it's better on Turbo-CD.

Gate of Thunder's three bonus games make it clearly better than the PCE version.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ultrageranium

Kato-chan & Ken-chan > J.J. & Jeff

ClodBusted

Winds of Thunder has that sexy storeowner voiced in Japanese, where her North American Lords of Thunder counterpart has been robbed of her spoken voice completely. Way more hot than the Sega CD's LoT storeowner's English voice, too, but I leave that open for debate.

Tatsujin

PCE always is better. period.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

o.pwuaioc

I'm trying hard to think of a console beginning with the Famicom that wasn't better in Japan. The Xbox, I guess, is one.

Arkhan Asylum

JJ and Jeff is the one game that we should've never gotten as is.

"USA doesn't have that comedy duo.   Lets just make two random fuckers!"

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nando

Quote from: guest on 08/22/2014, 02:50 PMJJ and Jeff is the one game that we should've never gotten as is.

For real, I never got that one.

Splatterhouse PCE! 'cause PCE ;)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/22/2014, 02:50 PMJJ and Jeff is the one game that we should've never gotten as is.

This is why JJ&Jeff is better than Japan. As in, the NATION OF JAPAN.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SuperGrafx

I think Mashin Eiyūden Wataru sounds a whole lot better than Keith Courage in Alpha Zones.

PukeSter

Fantasy Zone has 3 lives instead of 5 in the Japan version. Whether that is better to you or not I don't know.

Bloody Wolf and Bravoman are both better in U.S. due to horribly hilarious translations.

Digi.k

Magical chase has some differences between the turbo and pce.

Also I might say that if you are english speaking most games that require text then games like ys book ! & II, Dungeon Explorer etc I would go for the Turbo version

SuperGrafx

Also, the US version of R-TYPE (on Hucard) has the advantage of having the game on one card.
Whereas the PC Engine version is split into two separate cards.

deubeul

In this case i think it's a good thing that you can start at level 5 with full power  :mrgreen:

cr8zykuban0

csgx1

Forgotten Worlds Japan release was available as a bundle with the Avenue 3 button pad. 

IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: csgx1 on 09/17/2014, 02:26 AMForgotten Worlds Japan release was available as a bundle with the Avenue 3 button pad. 
Gate of Thunder, PC Genjin, PC Genjin 2, Bomberman, Ys I & II, Ninja Spirit, Dungeon Explorer and other games' North American releases were available  as a bundle with the Ave Pad 2 and PC Engine Duo.

The System Card 3.1 North American release was available as a bundle with at least several of the games listed above.

Wataru's North American release was available as a bundle with the Ave Pad 2 and PC Engine.

Several games' North American releases were available as a bundle with the PCE GT.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!