@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

pcengine-fx.com Site Re-design - UPDATED 3/9/15 (see reply 187)

Started by PCEngineFX, 08/31/2014, 11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/06/2014, 07:18 PMHere's my first try at 60fps using real hardwarez:
Be sure to watch it in 30fps. This is how the majority of people would be seeing it. Even the stars scroll very jerkily (compared to a proper 30fps video). That's why I'll wait on 60fps until everything everywhere can view it fine.
Slight jerkiness aside with the stars, you can actually see the *entire* laser beam at 30fps in your video.  I checked out a few random Blazing Lazers 30fps captures from other people and when that weapon was used it only showed 1/2 of the laser graphic (which I feel looks much worse compared to slightly jerky stars).

I think all comparisons aside, nothing will look perfect at 30fps because the Turbo essentially runs at 60.  At least now we finally are getting the options to view at higher framerates.
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

My point is that I can't have good 30fps and good 60fps in the same file. On Game Sack I show the full beam at 30fps and there is none of that annoying flashing back and forth nonsense. At 60fps there is no option for this for the 30fps default view.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/07/2014, 05:33 PMMy point is that I can't have good 30fps and good 60fps in the same file. On Game Sack I show the full beam at 30fps and there is none of that annoying flashing back and forth nonsense. At 60fps there is no option for this for the 30fps default view.
Right, that's correct.......either you can have good 30fps or you can have good 60fps (not both right now at least).  I'm hope Google will tweak playback further, but only time will tell.  For my stuff however, I'm going for archival/future-proof quality so will be capturing everything at 1080p/60.
IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 11/07/2014, 09:35 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/07/2014, 05:33 PMMy point is that I can't have good 30fps and good 60fps in the same file. On Game Sack I show the full beam at 30fps and there is none of that annoying flashing back and forth nonsense. At 60fps there is no option for this for the 30fps default view.
Right, that's correct.......either you can have good 30fps or you can have good 60fps (not both right now at least).  I'm hope Google will tweak playback further, but only time will tell.  For my stuff however, I'm going for archival/future-proof quality so will be capturing everything at 1080p/60.
I think the best strategy is to future-proof, despite the current problems. Heck, we don't know how much extra time it will buy, but the fact that Google already supports it is reason enough. 2 years from now you will be happy you don't have to upload everything again.

I understand Joe's stance, and I know he wants to deliver the best possible experience to viewers now (5:17 am November 8, 2014). But a year from now? Folks are still going to be watching all of this content (SameGack, pcefxTV).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: esteban on 11/08/2014, 05:18 AM
Quote from: Pcenginefx on 11/07/2014, 09:35 PM
I think the best strategy is to future-proof, despite the current problems. Heck, we don't know how much extra time it will buy, but the fact that Google already supports it is reason enough. 2 years from now you will be happy you don't have to upload everything again.

I understand Joe's stance, and I know he wants to deliver the best possible experience to viewers now (5:17 am November 8, 2014). But a year from now? Folks are still going to be watching all of this content (SameGack, pcefxTV).
Well personally I don't think there is any rush to *really* future-proof the videos (even though I am)....YouTube still supports playback in sub-480p resolutions which they will probably do forever...

Since I'm making a new channel and uploading newly-captured videos it makes sense for me because I really don't want to have to re-upload all of this stuff again :)  I'm sure GameSack and my old stuff will be fine (unless the apocalypse comes).
IMG
IMG

Otaking

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 11/05/2014, 02:09 AMI had previously mentioned that I'm re-capturing all media (screenshots & video) to give you guys the best quality possible...well, I'm ready to show it off now.

Presenting Gate of Thunder (stage 1) in YouTube 60FPS.  To watch in 60FPS, you MUST:

1. Click on the video link and watch directly from YouTube (60fps does not work in embedded YT videos...yet)
2. View the video using Chrome (for now) to change quality setting to 720p/60.

This will also be the official YouTube channel for all videos related to the new PCENGINEFX remake site.  Enjoy.
Awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

PCEngineFX

Just learned how to code my first PCE program...and with that, a little self promotion pre-hype :)

IMG
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Now we'll all need the ROM for that so we can witness it on our Turbos.

PCEngineFX

IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 09/22/2014, 02:06 AM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/17/2014, 10:23 AMAny chance of an update to the Turbo Legacy poster to include new homebrews?  8)
Sure - that's an easy change!
Any news on the poster update yet?  I gotta get one ordered soon for one lucky Santa.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 11/19/2014, 06:17 PM
Quote from: Pcenginefx on 09/22/2014, 02:06 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/17/2014, 10:23 AMAny chance of an update to the Turbo Legacy poster to include new homebrews?  8)
Sure - that's an easy change!
Any news on the poster update yet?  I gotta get one ordered soon for one lucky Santa.
OH, so you want that now.......ok - I'll look into it here in the next day or so.
IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Well, you don't have to do it right now (or ever).  I was just asking, man.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 11/19/2014, 06:31 PMWell, you don't have to do it right now (or ever).  I was just asking, man.
No problem NEC...  I actually can't do anything else with my HuCard case until my new filament comes in, so I can work on this now :D
IMG
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/31/2014, 09:34 PMI guess I have to spell it out for you guys....SIGH! :P

It's a 3D printed HuCard case.  I just started 3D modeling one as I was getting tired of waiting for other people to make/release one.

So if you've not seen my printer, here it is:
Where oh where does he get those wonderful toys ?? ;)

roflmao

Quote from: NightWolve on 11/28/2014, 09:08 PMWhere oh where does he get those wonderful toys ?? ;)
Spoken like a true Joker. :)

PCEngineFX

Looks like 60fps video now works in IE 11 (not sure about older versions).  60fps still not supported when video is embedded (yet).
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

BTW, if you really want to see how I'm progressing on the remake, follow the new PCENGINEFX YouTube channel as I'm uploading videos for games as I add them to the site.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrrUmoS61-UPw-fDzSvnA4A
IMG
IMG

Gentlegamer

IMG

Joe Redifer

Firefox is my preferred browser, but when it comes to watching Youtube it really seems to fall behind the pack, even at 30fps.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/29/2014, 07:34 PMFirefox is my preferred browser, but when it comes to watching Youtube it really seems to fall behind the pack, even at 30fps.
I found Google Chrome to be a choppy mess. Firefox puts these weird large black pixel-like interference into some videos (re: most of them) and I don't like IE for many reasons. I can't win.

NightWolve

I'm pretty happy with Google Chrome ON Windows Vista thru 8.1, but every browser on Android for my old tablet sucked ballz and drove me nuts. It didn't matter what you used, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Android default, UC Mini, you would encounter bugs somewhere, guaranteed... It's good to be back on Windows with my new tablet.

As for Internet Explorer, it lost favor with me in 2007 when I clicked a page on GameCopyWorld that was installing viruses - it took advantage of a security hole that allowed for the automatic download and execution of a file without permission and silently. The exe installed itself then instantly rebooted the PC to load with the system and gain more power. Back then I didn't use antivirus software cause I thought that mainly happened to dumb people that clicked "i luv you" emails, etc... Well, several things went wrong to clean the virus, I had a hard drive disaster, lost my email outlook database that I had since late 90's and spent weeks piecing things together, had to buy GetDataBack for NTFS to recover my stuff. So yeah, that ended my respect for IE and I stopped using it ever since...

Joe Redifer

Has IE ever been HTML compliant?

Though I have to say I don't think I'd trust a site called "gamecopyworld".

BlueBMW

gamecopyworld was/is the go to place to get things like no-cd cracks and such for pc games.  Generally I think its pretty safe...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Gentlegamer

Quote from: BlueBMW on 11/30/2014, 07:28 PMgamecopyworld was/is the go to place to get things like no-cd cracks and such for pc games.  Generally I think its pretty safe...
This. gamecopyworld is legit, I bet the culprit was google ads or something AKA the malware delivery system.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Curious why The Addams Family title screen needs to be a separate video from intro and gameplay. Shouldn't intro be it's own video? The loading screen should be its own video as well. Also each room in the level should be its own video. The level should be assembled by clickable annotations.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/30/2014, 11:54 PMCurious why The Addams Family title screen needs to be a separate video from intro and gameplay. Shouldn't intro be it's own video? The loading screen should be its own video as well. Also each room in the level should be its own video. The level should be assembled by clickable annotations.
You should work this concept into The Video Game Years.
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 11/28/2014, 11:41 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 11/28/2014, 09:08 PMWhere oh where does he get those wonderful toys ?? ;)
Spoken like a true Joker. :)
Aaron teed that right up for me. ^_^

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 11/30/2014, 11:23 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 11/30/2014, 07:28 PMgamecopyworld was/is the go to place to get things like no-cd cracks and such for pc games.  Generally I think its pretty safe...
This. gamecopyworld is legit, I bet the culprit was google ads or something AKA the malware delivery system.
Well, it was their site, 100%, no ambiguity there. I remember it all too well.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/30/2014, 11:54 PMCurious why The Addams Family title screen needs to be a separate video from intro and gameplay. Shouldn't intro be it's own video? The loading screen should be its own video as well. Also each room in the level should be its own video. The level should be assembled by clickable annotations.
Addams Family only got it's own title video because of the music.  In my book, if the title screen has any type of looping music or animation it will get its own vid to show that off.
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

I'm back off and on working on the re-design.  I'm thinking I'll be making it live much sooner than I thought as the content will never be really "done"...and if I wait till it is completely done, it will never see the light of day....I figure I can just keep adding content as I get to it.

With that being said, I'm currently working on the main landing page of the site again.  When I say "again" I mean that I had already created what I thought was a cool landing page that looked the way I wanted it to be...but after re-visiting the page again I realized it could be much cleaner and didn't focus people to the right area of the site.

One major new element of the landing page will be large console hardware images which will give the visitor no question of what pcengine-fx.com is about.  To do this, I've undertaken the task to re-shoot all console images in my studio in as high a resolution as possible.  While this is all well and good, the real problem is that the hardware (unless new) is going to have bumps and scuffs:

IMG

Luckily, Photoshop CC kicks ass in the cleanup department:

IMG

So I went from this raw image:

IMG

To the final product (hardware cleanup, proper color correction, addition of System Card in post):

IMG

This is the sort of work that is going on behind the scenes...........slow work, but damn will it look amazing when finished.
IMG
IMG

Mathius

Gentlegamer

If the Turbo Memoirs ends up being part of the new site, please re-upload your high res photos. I used to use them as wallpaper, but last time I checked only the lower res versions are available.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 03/10/2015, 12:35 AMI'm back off and on working on the re-design.  I'm thinking I'll be making it live much sooner than I thought as the content will never be really "done"...and if I wait till it is completely done, it will never see the light of day....I figure I can just keep adding content as I get to it.

With that being said, I'm currently working on the main landing page of the site again.  When I say "again" I mean that I had already created what I thought was a cool landing page that looked the way I wanted it to be...but after re-visiting the page again I realized it could be much cleaner and didn't focus people to the right area of the site.

One major new element of the landing page will be large console hardware images which will give the visitor no question of what pcengine-fx.com is about.  To do this, I've undertaken the task to re-shoot all console images in my studio in as high a resolution as possible.  While this is all well and good, the real problem is that the hardware (unless new) is going to have bumps and scuffs:

IMG

Luckily, Photoshop CC kicks ass in the cleanup department:

IMG

So I went from this raw image:

IMG

To the final product (hardware cleanup, proper color correction, addition of System Card in post):

IMG

This is the sort of work that is going on behind the scenes...........slow work, but damn will it look amazing when finished.
I absolutely love reading and seeing the creative process, especially when it comes to pcefx and your design work. :)

REQUEST: I would love to hear about your workflow!!!!

Please tell me how you cleaned up the TG-CD image. I know what I would do, but is would involve lots of inefficient and tedious work.

Personally, although I am trying to evolve, I still do a lot of stuff manually (I have been using PhotoShop since layers were introduced, so I have a LOT OF BAD OLD HABITS), and I know I could be doing things more efficiently.

You can PM or post here.

Thank you.

Also, in the spirit of sharing:

Recreating the cover of DuoWorld #3 by stealing text from the centerfold poster:

IMG

https://archives.tg-16.com/duo_world_0003.htm

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 03/11/2015, 11:35 PMIf the Turbo Memoirs ends up being part of the new site, please re-upload your high res photos. I used to use them as wallpaper, but last time I checked only the lower res versions are available.
Oh sure thing Gentlegamer.  I'll be retiring TM once the site goes up so one way or another the content will live elsewhere.
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

esteban - sent you a PM.  I'll be posting up more creative process stuff as the site continues to be worked on!
IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 03/12/2015, 08:08 PMesteban - sent you a PM.  I'll be posting up more creative process stuff as the site continues to be worked on!
Thank you kindly. :)

Gentlegamer

Will the new site take contributions from users, like articles and the like?
IMG

roflmao

I love seeing these process posts as well!  And, yes, Photoshop CC is the bees knees. Shift-F5 (with Content-Aware set) has become a savior of mine. :)

jlued686

Hey Aaron, just checking to see if you're still working on this. Very excited to see the results.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2015, 01:22 PMHey Aaron, just checking to see if you're still working on this. Very excited to see the results.
He is still working on site design, but, understandably, got side-tracked when he decided to beat every single TG-16 game. Then he decided to beat all the PCE games he has.

Needless to say, he has a few years before this will be accomplished.

PCEngineFX

So I've decided to start looking into the remake again after taking a break and I got some bad news.  All of the progress I've made with the layout and new text that I spent so much time on may have been lost.  I'm attempting to recover a (what I hope) is a backup of the remake on my local machine, but it's not looking good......
IMG
IMG

Otaking

Sorry to hear you lost what you had done so far, but great to hear you're going to keep going with  the revamp.

:D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

jlued686

Nooooooo!

That sucks, man. Good luck with the recovery!

Mathius

Bummer!

Please don't get discouraged though. We'll back you up with anything you need.

PCEngineFX

I'm REALLY going to be bummed if I lost all of the text content I had created for it...................still working on it.
IMG
IMG

Gentlegamer

Be sure to have a script that bans viewing the site from nintentoage.com referrals.
IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/22/2016, 02:14 PMBe sure to have a script that bans viewing the site from nintentoage.com referrals.
Not sure what you mean by that but don't really want to know :)
IMG
IMG

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 06/23/2016, 12:52 PM
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 06/22/2016, 02:14 PMBe sure to have a script that bans viewing the site from nintentoage.com referrals.
Not sure what you mean by that but don't really want to know :)
Keep the collectards/resellers from NA from following links from that forum to here.
IMG

Mathius