RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

PC Engine CDROM middle gear for sale

Started by choijimmy, 09/03/2014, 09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choijimmy

Hi Guys,

Eventually, I am able to find a gear manufactor to make the CDROM middle gear for me in relatively small quantities ( around 100+ ) in reasonable price. I used 3 of them to save my 3 broken cdrom. Let me know ( or pm ) if you want some. I can sell each of them for USD$ 8 ( or $15 for 2 ). The more you buy, the more discount I can give

I also post in ebay if you want to trade on Ebay ( yes, will be a bit expensive since ebay charge, etc... )

Here are the links for Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151400011542?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311075676113?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

The shipping is around 2 bucks. Free shipping if you buy more.

Thanks!
Jimmy

Marll

Anyone used one of these yet? Messaged seller on ebay as well, but wondering of advantage/disadvantage over the Keith Courage gears.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

pdiggitydogg

Quote from: Marll on 11/05/2014, 05:31 PMAnyone used one of these yet? Messaged seller on ebay as well, but wondering of advantage/disadvantage over the Keith Courage gears.
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10224.msg183631#msg183631
Reading here, 2 gears are louder, yet quicker.

Marll

Yeah louder isn't really a concern, and quicker is nice, though there's something to be said for just slipping a new gear on and not having to do as much work  :D
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

Keith Courage

The two gear setup works well. However, the 3rd middle gear replacement is much more affordable now so for ease of install that may be the better option. When I first figured out the 2 gear option replacement it was a better solution since the 3rd middle gear option was much more expensive and hard to find.

I will always have the two gear style setup gears on hand for anyone who accidentally looses their middle black ring needed for the 3 gear setup.

pdiggitydogg

How long has it really been since you started using the 2 gear setup? Have you noticed any reliability issues to the motor or gears? I know they ate running at the same speed but with the 3 gear stepper, its likely the most stable, reliable option(?)

Keith Courage

I'd probably say it's been two years since I started using it. I haven't noticed any reliability issues whatsoever.

choijimmy

Regarding the losing little black ring, I had been suffered for this a long while. Evetually, I am able to find the good replacement.  What I found is Highland Barley paper 0.2mm is able to subsitute the black ring. What I did is cut the paper into circle shape, the use cutter to cut a very small hole in the center. Also, cut circle from the boundry toward to the hole to make the cicrle opened.
 Then try to put the circle back to the axis to see if it fits. If the hole is too small,  you can adjust a little bit until it fits.

For those of you suffer the same issue, and unable to find 0.2 mm or thinner highland barley paper, I can give some to you for free (yes, even you don't buy gears from me ) :lol:

Just want to share the solution / happiness for finding the replacement.

Thanks
Jimmy