RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Wouldn't it be nice: New cardboard system boxes to store our old systems?

Started by ifkz, 09/05/2014, 11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ifkz

Over the years I have collected old video game systems, I am surprised an enterprising person has not decided to reproduce boxes for old game systems.  Even something generic would help to keep all of the cords, the power supply, and all the other wires together with the system.  If these reproduction boxes are kept to the original dimensions, I think even owners of the original system boxes would benefit from new box inserts that are not 25 year old degrading styrofoam.

Cool idea?  I think it would be fairly profitable too, selling a product like this to collectors and the mom & pop independent used game stores.  Am I crazy?
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

roflmao

I use USPS Large Flat Rate Priority boxes for consoles not hooked up that I don't have a box for.  They're free and I always have extra packing material to keep things from shuffling around much. Labeled with a Sharpie.

PROTIP: When My Duo isn't hooked up to a TV I keep it in a box labeled "Genesis" because who'd ever steal one of those? :)

ifkz

Sure, I'm always on the lookout for new computer laptop boxes from a recent upgrade, or other boxes that will also work for basic storage.  Still, it would be nice for a new tailor-made cardboard box.  Some of these have gotten expensive enough, like the Duo, that I think collectors would pay for something nice to hold their favorite system when not in use.
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

SamIAm

You'd probably have to have the know-how and the connections to make it work economically.

Furthermore, you'd probably want to design something a little different than the original packaging boxes. Those are made with a priority on stable, safe shipping, and they don't have much room for anything extra. If I were going to buy a special 3rd party box for one of my systems, I'd want only a moderate amount of stability, and more emphasis on easy access, small size, and versatile storage capacity.

That's just me, though.

johnnymad

Quote from: guest on 09/05/2014, 11:42 PMPROTIP: When My Duo isn't hooked up to a TV I keep it in a box labeled "Genesis" because who'd ever steal one of those? :)
Hahahaha.

wildfruit

johnnymad

Quote from: wildfruit on 09/06/2014, 04:47 PMYea why have a genesis when you can have a mega drive.
Mega Drive is a much cooler name than Genesis IMO. Also think TurboGrafx is a cooler name than PC Engine. Hope I don't get banned for saying that.  [-o<

Digi.k

oh there is a shop here in EU/UK called Muji that sells japanese unbranded goods.. storage is one of them.

http://www.muji.eu/pages/page.asp?qpge=storage

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: johnnymad on 09/06/2014, 04:52 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 09/06/2014, 04:47 PMYea why have a genesis when you can have a mega drive.
Mega Drive is a much cooler name than Genesis IMO. Also think TurboGrafx is a cooler name than PC Engine. Hope I don't get banned for saying that.  [-o<
BAN! lol I remember talking about the pc engine to co-workers and someone thought I was talking about the cpu tower of a computer lol but I prefer pc engine name. sounds more high tech

cr8zykuban0

very true! the name mega drive sounds cooler and the box for the Japanese megadrives are badass

TheClash603

The people who are interested in boxes for their 20 year old consoles are primarily the type of people not interested in reprinted boxes.  It would cost a lot to make large high quality boxes and don't think they would sell.

SuperDeadite

I see no point in repro boxes.  If you just want to store a system, use anything.  If you want to have a glass case full of shit to film youtube videos in front of, get the real deal or look like an even bigger tool.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

CGQuarterly

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 09/07/2014, 07:06 AMI see no point in repro boxes.  If you just want to store a system, use anything.  If you want to have a glass case full of shit to film youtube videos in front of, get the real deal or look like an even bigger tool.
I think they would look much nicer stacked in my closet than raggedy ol' brown boxes. That's my only interest in it.

NecroPhile

I wrap my extra stuff in bubble wrap and stuff it in some generic box that something else came in.  Good enough for me, and with enough bubblewrap it fits as securely as any original packaging.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

johnnymad

CGQuarterly

My systems are all vacuum-sealed (with a Food Saver) in anti-static bags, which are then wrapped with bubble wrap.  I have them tightly packed in a lead-lined waterproof Pelican trunk, and buried in an undisclosed location in the back yard.  I only play games via emulation, but I do so sparingly because I worry about my ROMs getting bit-rot from overuse.  Mostly I just watch "Let's Play" videos on YouTube.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esadajr

That my friend would be (censored) awesome. As long they cost less than the original ones I'd get them as decoration piece.
Gaming since 1985

synbiosfan

If boxed systems weren't readily available that would be one thing. I'd rather take the money I'd spend on a repro box, throw in a few more dollars and get the real thing.

It would be funny to see how many more boxed, like new systems show up on eBay.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 09/09/2014, 11:24 AMMy systems are all vacuum-sealed (with a Food Saver) in anti-static bags, which are then wrapped with bubble wrap.  I have them tightly packed in a lead-lined waterproof Pelican trunk, and buried in an undisclosed location in the back yard.  I only play games via emulation, but I do so sparingly because I worry about my ROMs getting bit-rot from overuse.  Mostly I just watch "Let's Play" videos on YouTube.
At first I was all "guy takes it to far"........

then I read about the buring it and bit-rot from overuse of a ROM file and you had me in histerics......

Although I was going to state why even bother making repro cardboard boxes?  Make them out of something more durable if we are just talking storage and keeping things in better condition?

wildfruit

I still have boxes for my turbo Dreamcast and mega drive.

Mzo

I use bubblewrap and large tupperware bins to store my unused consoles because South Florida is a disgusting swamp.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

esteban

Quote from: Mzo on 09/17/2014, 11:00 PMI use bubblewrap and large tupperware bins to store my unused consoles because South Florida is a disgusting swamp.
We get nasty sweltering, humid summers here n NJ, too. HOWEVER, this past summer was gorgeous. I loved it.

I USE THE BINS BECAUSE MY SUMP PUMP MAY FAIL. BASEMENT MIGHT FLOOD.

Yay.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG