Complete list of beat 'em ups on the PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16

Started by Otaking, 10/20/2014, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otaking

Here's a list of all beat 'em up games on the PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16 as requested in this thread https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17899.0

Feel free to let me know if I missed any games and I'll add them in.

I haven't included wrestling games.

With the scrolling beat 'em ups it was more difficult to decide on some games whether they fitted this genre.

List of beat 'em ups

Advanced V.G.- SCD
Algunos (Kakutou Haou Densetsu Algunos) - SCD
André Panza Kick Boxing / The Kick Boxing - HuCard/CD
Art Of Fighting / Ryuko No Ken - ACD
Asuka 120% Maxima Burning Fest.- SCD
Black Hole Assault - SCD
Dragon Ball Z - SCD
Fatal Fury 2 / Garou Densetsu 2 Aratanaru Tatakai - ACD
Fatal Fury 2 Special / Garou Densetsu Special - ACD
Fighting Street - CD
Flash Hiders -SCD
Godzilla (Godzilla Bakutou Retsu Den) - SCD
Kabuki Itouryodan - ACD
Martial Champion - SCD
Ranma 1/2 Datō, Ganso Musabetsu Kakutō-ryū! - SCD
Street Fighter II Champion Edition - HuCard
Strip Fighter II - HuCard
World Heroes 2 - ACD

List of scrolling beat 'em ups

Altered Beast / Ju ou ki - HuCard
Altered Beast / Ju ou ki - CD
Ane-san -SCD
Double Dragon II - The Revenge - SCD
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari - SCD
Downtown Nekketsu Soreyuke Daiundoukai - SCD
Galaxy Gayvan - SCD
Golden Axe -CD
Kaze Kiri -SCD
The Kung Fu / China Warrior - HuCard
Mad Stalker - Full Metal Force - ACD
The Ninja Warriors - HuCard
Renny Blaster - SCD
Riot Zone   / Crest Of Wolf - SCD
Splatterhouse - HuCard
Takeda Shingen - HuCard
Tenchi O Kurau - SCD
Vigilante - HuCard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

CrackTiger

Although refering to fighting games as "beat em ups" usually starts the genre-naming debate, I think almost everyone can agree that using the same term for two very different genres is a bad idea.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Ayce

PixyJunket

I feel embarrassed, but I left Crest of Wolf off of my "to buy" list, it should have been there with a nice big [WESTONE] tag.

Okay, now it's there.

Thanks for the reminder and the list.
Drink Craft Beer and Play PC-Engine.
Compile, Westone and Falcom.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2014, 01:36 PMAlthough refering to fighting games as "beat em ups" usually starts the genre-naming debate, I think almost everyone can agree that using the same term for two very different genres is a bad idea.
Agreed.

I propose a new label for the "Versus Fighting" category.

"Beat-em-off", perhaps.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Lochlan

The list at the top also doesn't differentiate between belt-scrollers and 2D brawlers (not sure what to call that genre, Spartan-X-like games).  I'm pretty sure adding an entire new dimension of movement constitutes a different genre.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

ElSeven

currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

ishiyakazuo

Quote from: esteban on 10/22/2014, 11:28 AM"Beat-em-off", perhaps.
"Beat-em-off" titles:
Advanced V.G.- SCD

esteban

Quote from: ishiyakazuo on 10/22/2014, 03:27 PM
Quote from: esteban on 10/22/2014, 11:28 AM"Beat-em-off", perhaps.
"Beat-em-off" titles:
Advanced V.G.- SCD
Trüe Storie.

+10 Turbo Points

Nando

ishiyakazuo

I played Tenchi wo Kurau 2 on the PSX... as I recall, it's pretty fun.

A Black Falcon

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2014, 01:36 PMAlthough refering to fighting games as "beat em ups" usually starts the genre-naming debate, I think almost everyone can agree that using the same term for two very different genres is a bad idea.
It's not really a debate.  It's apparently a European thing.  In America, the first category in the OP are called fighting games, and the second category in the first post are called beat 'em ups.  Europe uses different terms, for whatever reason, sort of like how they often call platformers "jump n runs".

Gentlegamer

How about we call them Double Dragon clones and Street Fighter clones?
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

esteban

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 10/23/2014, 11:49 PMHow about we call them Double Dragon clones and Street Fighter clones?
That would be very nice and avoid lots of confusion for States vs. Euro naming conventions.

CrackTiger

Quote from: A Black Falcon on 10/23/2014, 10:53 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/20/2014, 01:36 PMAlthough refering to fighting games as "beat em ups" usually starts the genre-naming debate, I think almost everyone can agree that using the same term for two very different genres is a bad idea.
It's not really a debate.  It's apparently a European thing.  In America, the first category in the OP are called fighting games, and the second category in the first post are called beat 'em ups.  Europe uses different terms, for whatever reason, sort of like how they often call platformers "jump n runs".
It may be regional slang, but beat-them-up makes the most sense for Final Fight style games, since the active gameplay is fighting multiple enemies at once and the actual "fighting" gameplay is very shallow. While the ganeplay in street fighter-style games is all about the "fighting". Bmup-as-street fighter-style-genre supporters might try to argue that in street fighter-style games, technically you fight many enemies by the time the game is cleared, but each enemy is an entire stage. In which case you might as well say that all games with levels/stages are "clmalls", because you have to clear all the stages.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

spenoza