10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Bayonetta 2

Started by munchiaz, 10/29/2014, 02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munchiaz

So Bayonetta 2 came out last Friday for the Wii U, and i noticed there isn't a thread for it yet. Well good news because I'm creating one. So Bayonetta 2 is the new action game by Platinum and it is an exclusive Wii U title. it also comes with Bayonetta 1 which was released on ps3 and xb360 a few years ago. So you get 2 games for $60. Its a great deal, and if you enjoy action games you should pick this one up.  So lets discuss the game here.

I beat the game a few days ago, after about 15 hours of gameplay. It was a wild ride for sure, and i loved every moment of it. I beat Bayonetta 1 (ps3) this past Friday just to refresh myself again with the game. Bayo 2 is definitely the better of the two games, but there are some things i preferred from the first game. First off is the difficulty. Bayo 1 is the harder game (normal difficulty) but it also has a lot of cheap deaths thrown in there as well. I really hate quick time events that kill you if you miss them. It's one of the lamest and most frustrating ways to lose in a game, and i'm super glad that bayo 2 has zero of them. But i did find bayo 2 to be way to easy at times. at the end of bayo 1 i had about 30 deaths racked up. At the end of bayo 2 i only died 1 time.

Another thing that stood out for me between the 2 games were the bonus stages (Alfheim in bayo 1, muspelheim in bayo 2) I recall the bonus stages in bayo 1 being super hard, and i was only able to complete and find a few of them. Meanwhile, the bonus stages in bayo 2 were abundant, and pretty easy. I found all but 2 of them during my first play through, and i completed them all, and only had trouble with a few of them. I recall one of the Alfheim stages where you had to stay in the air for at least 20 seconds. There were Muspelheim stages like this as well, but they started off with you on a platform. needless to say, the Alfheim version is much harder.

But at the end of the day, Bayonetta 2 is an amazing game, and it is a great sequel that fixes many issues the first game had, while making it a bit more accessible to gamers. I will end this with stating that i do believe that The Wonderful 101 is a better game than Bayonetta 2. I know many will disagree with this, but hear me out. Yes Bayonetta 2 is better looking game than W101, but i feel that the enviorments, and stages were much more "fun" in W101 than in Bayo 2. They felt more fresh and new to me. Maybe its because I played Bayo 1, then started playing Bayo 2 right after, but i enjoyed the city landscapes, and the many exotic areas in W101 over Bayonetta. I also prefer the combat and comboing system in W101 over the Bayonetta games. W101 unite morph attacks just feel so awesome when you string them together, and i felt that there was a bigger and more free variety of combos to pull of in W101 over Bayonetta. Lastly, i enjoyed the characters and story of W 101 over the Bayo games. I do enjoy the way they tied Bayo 1 & 2 story together. But one thing the W101 had over bayo in story were the bad guys. They actually were interesting and fun, and had back story.

Enough of the rant, in the end if you own a Wii U you should def pick up Bayonetta 2. Once your done with Bayonetta, pick up The Wonderful 101 as well

ctophil

Good to know there is another Wii U game that's pretty cool.  I'm planning to get a Wii U in the next few months.  I gotta get my fix of Mario and Zelda games.  lol.   

Do you know if the first Bayonetta is on the same disc or is there a DLC code?  Can you recommend other Wii U games besides the typical Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong games I should get?

esadajr

Back then, to me, it seemed the first Bayo was a bit hyped by Sega fans. Your mini review makes me at least think about it. Being a Sega published game, maybe I should wait for the price to go down.
Gaming since 1985

munchiaz

Bayo 1 comes on a separate disc which is pretty nice.  Don't get me wrong esadajr, both Bayo 1 and 2 are amazing games, and some of the best action games around. Most of that mini review was taken from a response I made on the neo-geo forum. Don't let that sway you from playing the game. At least download the demo and try it out. 

Ctophil, as far as other games on the Wii u to consider picking up, i would def look at Zombii U. it really is a great survival horror game, and so far from what i have played uses the gamepad the best. Monster hunter 3ulitmate is another great game and can be a huge time sink. The Wonderful 101 is currently my favorite Wii U game, and its one of my favorite action games ever.

SuperGrafx

I keep hearing all this praise for Bayonetta 2.
Granted it's for Wii U library, which is a bit limited when it comes to 3rd party exclusives.
Do you guys think Bayonetta 2 would be receiving the same type of praise if it had been released on say the PS4 or Xbox One?

munchiaz

^ I think it would be receiving the same amount of praise. Remember Bayonetta 1 was critically acclaimed as well

jlued686

Quote from: esadajr on 10/29/2014, 05:00 PMBack then, to me, it seemed the first Bayo was a bit hyped by Sega fans. Your mini review makes me at least think about it. Being a Sega published game, maybe I should wait for the price to go down.
Bayonetta 2 is published (and was funded) by Nintendo. I wouldn't expect a price drop any time soon.

I bought the game last Friday, but have been playing through the first one. I'm loving it so far!

Digi.k

Tried the demo, it's got the usual crazy insane action like the first, but I find platinum games have moments that I find frustrating that stop me from progressing.  I'm still on the fence about picking this up.

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 10/30/2014, 10:58 AM
Quote from: esadajr on 10/29/2014, 05:00 PMBack then, to me, it seemed the first Bayo was a bit hyped by Sega fans. Your mini review makes me at least think about it. Being a Sega published game, maybe I should wait for the price to go down.
Bayonetta 2 is published (and was funded) by Nintendo. I wouldn't expect a price drop any time soon.
Ouch
Gaming since 1985

munchiaz

Quote from: Digi.k on 10/31/2014, 10:54 AMTried the demo, it's got the usual crazy insane action like the first, but I find platinum games have moments that I find frustrating that stop me from progressing.  I'm still on the fence about picking this up.
What did you find frustrating in the demo? i know a lot of people first go into games made by platinum and find something frustrating, but that usually just comes from not fully understanding the game. For example, Dodge offset is in Bayonetta 2, but its not mentioned in the guide or in the game at all. Its something from part 1. basically if you hold and attack button while dodging, you can continue that same combo, as opposed to having to start over again after the dodge

Medic_wheat

Quote from: munchiaz on 10/31/2014, 12:45 PM
Quote from: Digi.k on 10/31/2014, 10:54 AMTried the demo, it's got the usual crazy insane action like the first, but I find platinum games have moments that I find frustrating that stop me from progressing.  I'm still on the fence about picking this up.
What did you find frustrating in the demo? i know a lot of people first go into games made by platinum and find something frustrating, but that usually just comes from not fully understanding the game. For example, Dodge offset is in Bayonetta 2, but its not mentioned in the guide or in the game at all. Its something from part 1. basically if you hold and attack button while dodging, you can continue that same combo, as opposed to having to start over again after the dodge
Didnt know that good tip

munchiaz

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 10/31/2014, 01:34 PM
Quote from: munchiaz on 10/31/2014, 12:45 PM
Didnt know that good tip
Its mentioned in Bayonetta 1 a few times, But during my playthrough of part 2 i don't recall it being mentioned at all

PukeSter

Quote from: esadajr on 10/31/2014, 11:33 AM
Ouch
On the bright side, Wonderful 101 got a permanent 50% price drop after a few months.

Because no one bought it.

munchiaz

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2014, 02:01 PM
Quote from: esadajr on 10/31/2014, 11:33 AM
Ouch
On the bright side, Wonderful 101 got a permanent 50% price drop after a few months.

Because no one bought it.
Which is such a sad thing because i love Wonderful 101. It's such a great game with awesome, story,gameplay, music ect. It's going to be a hidden gem years from now

johnnymad

Hoping the price goes down around Thanksgiving. Definitely want to pick it up at some point.

munchiaz

Quote from: johnnymad on 11/01/2014, 02:09 PMHoping the price goes down around Thanksgiving. Definitely want to pick it up at some point.
for $60 it is a great deal, 2 games man.

jlued686

If there is a price drop, it'll probably just be for Black Friday. I don't see Nintendo doing a permanent price drop so soon after the game launches. That's not really their style.

glazball

Just finished moving and setting up game room, and decided I need to treat myself to a new Wii U game.  I liked the first Bayonetta a lot and want to pick up the sequel - but I'm also eyeing Hyrule Warriors.  Which to pick up first???
glazball's game collection and wantlist

munchiaz

Quote from: glazball on 11/04/2014, 01:16 PMJust finished moving and setting up game room, and decided I need to treat myself to a new Wii U game.  I liked the first Bayonetta a lot and want to pick up the sequel - but I'm also eyeing Hyrule Warriors.  Which to pick up first???
Bayonetta 2 for sure. I enjoy Hyrule warriors as well. But Bayonetta 2 is basically a perfect game

glazball

Perfect game you say?  That's really high praise!  I'll likely buy B2 because I'm very curious about it.  I've tried other Dynasty Warrior games and have never been in love with any.  For that reason I'm a little leery of HW but if there is any version of that style of game I'll like, it would be a Zelda version.

One other thing about the first Bayonetta which I think was addressed earlier is that it was pretty hard.  I always felt like maybe I wasn't playing it right.  Hopefully B2 will be a bit smoother.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

munchiaz

Bayonetta 2 is alot easier than 1 was. One thing though, is they don't talk about dodge offset in bayonetta 2, which i found weird.  But like i said in my previous post. I played through Bayo 1 and died like 30 times. I played through Bayo 2 and died once.

mackdanger

Bayo1 was one of my top games of the last generation so I really want to play part 2. I think I will try to pickup a cheap used WiiU around the first of next year. One thing I would like to ask, how are the QTEs? Bayo1 didn't have too many, and the ones they had weren't too annoying. I just hate QTEs so much I hope there aren't that many in part 2.
Check out "Skill Sets" my 1CC / No Death video series:
https://www.youtube.com/user/richardgalactic

munchiaz

Quote from: mackdanger on 11/05/2014, 05:50 PMBayo1 was one of my top games of the last generation so I really want to play part 2. I think I will try to pickup a cheap used WiiU around the first of next year. One thing I would like to ask, how are the QTEs? Bayo1 didn't have too many, and the ones they had weren't too annoying. I just hate QTEs so much I hope there aren't that many in part 2.
There are barley any QTE's in Bayo 2, and i love it. One thing i hated about Bayo 1 was the QTE's that cause instant death, such a pain in the ass. I don't think there are any QTE's in Bayo 2 that cause instant death, and i can only think of 1 or 2 QTE's (besides the torture attacks)

esadajr

everytime a used Wii U is sold a soul goes to purgatory
Gaming since 1985

jlued686

You could buy a refurbished one on Nintendo's site. It's the 32GB model and comes with Nintendoland. $200. I bought one for a friend of mine and it works great.

xcrement5x

Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

munchiaz

Quote from: guest on 11/07/2014, 04:25 PMI just saw this, it is rather :ahem: revealing.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/10/nintendo-partners-with-playboy-to-promote-bayonetta-2/
Saw this awhile back. So awesome that Nintendo did this. I went to the playboy site yesterday to watch a video and i was giddy when the video advertisement was for bayonetta 2