@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PCE Memories "Turbo Duo Edition"

Started by Mathius, 11/13/2014, 09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

An announcement will take place tonight unveiling the next boxset from the PCE Works series. Called the Turbo Duo Edition we'll know shortly what games will be included. I call Dynastic Hero and Super Air Zonk. Not sure about the rest. Maybe Beyond Shadowgate and Dungeon Explorer II. It'll be the same price as the PCE edition at 119 euros.

ClodBusted

Thanks for the information. That sounds like they're producing even more bootlegs?

JoshTurboTrollX

That's all kinds of cool.  I hope it's Dynastic Hero, DEII and Super Air Zonk.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

clackattack

I would surely think that Beyond Shadowgate would make an appearance.
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

ElSeven

I just saw the email and came here to see if anyone had posted about it.  I'm hoping for camp california, sim earth, fighting street and john madden duo football.

just kidding, dynastic hero plz.
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

NecroPhile

Camp California wouldn't be a bad one.  It ain't perfect, but it's no worse than Super Air Zonk.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jtucci31

Hopefully this one won't have a gold coin. Then it will hopefully be cheaper. Either way, I'm excited to see the list of games for this one.

Sadler

It's the same price, or 7 euro more if you want the poster.

jtucci31

Quote from: Sadler on 11/13/2014, 12:17 PMIt's the same price, or 7 euro more if you want the poster.
My bad, completely missed that in Mathius' post. That kind of sucks. Maybe the poster is good lookin'. I'm stuck to my phone for now.

Arjak

If they're making repros of rare and expensive American titles, I will gladly buy a set. I don't care what anyone might say; I am not spending hundreds of dollars on a single game when I could get several repros of the same games for a fraction of the price.

I await the news with feverish anticipation! =P~
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

esadajr

If DH is part of the "collection" I'm getting it. Panchitos's shoes will have to wait.

Seriously speaking, what's the point of getting these repros? Other than the fancy artwork, I'd say it's because these are pressed discs and will help prolong the laser life.
Gaming since 1985

NecroPhile

Quote from: esadajr on 11/13/2014, 12:48 PMSeriously speaking, what's the point of getting these repros? Other than the fancy artwork, I'd say it's because these are pressed discs and will help prolong the laser life.
I bought Sapphire years back because it's pressed and my TurboDuo won't play CDRs at all.  The packaging is nice too, but anyone can make a nice looking case/manual with quality scans and a cheap color laser printer.

Lochlan

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2014, 12:55 PMI bought Sapphire years back because it's pressed and my TurboDuo won't play CDRs at all.
I'm guessing you got your Sapphire boot for super cheap or free but IMO it makes way more sense to adjust/replace a laser (having someone else do the work if necessary) than to spend a bunch of money on pressed discs.  I have the same argument vs. people who want to "prolong" the life of their laser (which is a mechanical part doomed to failure anyway) since the cost of CDRs+Laser << the cost of pressed discs.

I would never support a bootlegger like this, who as far as I'm concerned has already had negative effects on the spine card market with his last release.  I appreciate that he's most-recently trying to differentiate his new stuff from the real product (unlike the care4data Sapphire debacle) but he didn't go far enough with the spines.  The only positive effect I've seen is that PCE Memories seems to have been a small release valve on demand, I was able to pick up real Kaze Kiri+Faussete+Sylphia all with spines for far less than I could have prior to PCE Memories.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

esadajr

spine card market? what are you talking about?
Gaming since 1985

Psycho Punch

I hope they're undistinguishable to originals to some extent so prices can drop, drop, drop!!!
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Lochlan

Quote from: esadajr on 11/13/2014, 01:49 PMspine card market? what are you talking about?
The PCE memories spine cards look very similar to originals so now it's that much harder to ensure spine cards for the games in that set are authentic.  That's all I meant, I agree that using the phrase "spine card market" was a confusing way to state that.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

ElSeven

looks like it's Godzilla, Dynastic Hero, Bonk 3 and Dungeon Explorer 2.

edit: and the poster looks like this
IMG
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

Sadler

Damn, I'm sort of disappointed in that. I guess all around good choices, but I was secretly hoping for Terraforming and a different poster. On the plus side, as best I can tell the inlays look nothing like the original releases so telling them apart should be super easy.

jlued686

Soooooo much copyright infringement. Jesus...good luck with that Godzilla poster. Not like there's a current major movie franchise or anything.

In related news, I'm investing my kids' college funds in the spine card market. It's a can't miss investment!

xcrement5x

Yeah, these are vastly different, very nice.

And I'm still LOLing about the spine card market.  Jesus, I like getting obis as much as the next guy but come on, it's a fucking piece of paper.

Keith Courage

I am disappointed in the game line up. Who cares about godzilla? What about beyond shadowgate or might and magic 3? the JP version of godzilla can be had for around $20.

BlueBMW

And the JP version plays better...

Beyond Shadowgate seemed like the obvious choice since it was a US exclusive.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

ElSeven

I have a feeling he (they?) will be releasing more of these box sets with different titles, so they have to use some filler (godzilla) to space out the good games.
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

BlueBMW

I suppose that is true...  This is a venture to make lots of profit I guess.  So whatever they can do to max gouge will be done.  Wonder how long until someone takes notice and puts a stop to it...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Lochlan

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2014, 03:57 PMAnd I'm still LOLing about the spine card market.  Jesus, I like getting obis as much as the next guy but come on, it's a fucking piece of paper.
Heh I deserve a ribbing for the phrasing, it came off a bit odd.  But I imagine that if you bought an authentic game with a counterfeit obi you probably wouldn't be too thrilled.  I think the PCE memories made that little bit of misrepresentation more possible.  Perhaps that's paranoid, but seeing Sapphire boots listed as authentic has made me paranoid.  I expect most of you don't really care about the obis one way or the other, I like them a lot because I store my games in plastic sleeves with the obis on the outside of the case.

Anyway this release apparently goes far out of its way to look like a different product, which is good news to me.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Lochlan on 11/13/2014, 01:26 PMI'm guessing you got your Sapphire boot for super cheap or free...
Nope, I bought it for ~$50 years before he sold off the bulk discs.  Since then I've acquired a Duo-RX that happily plays CDRs, so I won't be paying such prices for any booties.

And I give zero fucks about your spine card market.  I buy games to play and enjoy; I never plan on selling anyway, so their future value isn't important.

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2014, 05:02 PM...and I give zero fucks about your spine card market.  I buy games to play and enjoy; I never plan on selling anyway, so their future value isn't important.
Exactly my thoughts, I'm sure a lot of us give a rat's ass if the "spine card market" crashes
Gaming since 1985

seieienbu

Meh, underwhelmed to say the least.  Dynastic Hero is the only game out of the lot that I want/don't have.  I wish that they were cheaper but I like the idea of pressed versions of old games and there's zero chance of an official re-release.  I don't particularly care about the second hand market as I don't intend to sell my games at any point so some guy flooding the market is no skin off my back.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Lochlan

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2014, 05:02 PMAnd I give zero fucks about your spine card market.
God fucking damnit I used the wrong terminology.  I understand that you think I'm implying that, ALL I MEANT was that it would be shitty if somebody bought a game with a spine card and found out it was fake [just to be super clear I mean it would be shitty NOT because of "lost value" per se but because they expected an authentic pc engine item and received a counterfeit].  I am not talking about reselling anything.  This shit is going to be buried with me.  /rant

I get that giving a shit about game value is like poison to the community values here and I definitely misspoke, but, please, I am only advocating for living in a world where counterfeit games are less of an issue, no more no less.

tggodfrey

now prices can go up becuase you dont complain about paying 120.00 for something that cost this waste of skin 15.00 so you shouldnt complain about the real ones costing your first born which is prolly your neighbors kid!...lol

Bootlegs, cost 15.00 markup 800% equals 120 give or take.

Air Zonk, cost 60.00 mark up 800% equals 480.00
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

Mathius

You're picking your poison between Bonk 3 or Super Air Zonk. Personally I would have rather had SAZ but whatever. I'm giggling like a school girl for Dynastic Hero. I have had a galactic hard-on for the Monster World series for ages, so playing this on real hardware gets me way too excited. I already have DEII so it'll be redundant.

schnuth

ElSeven

Quote from: schnuth on 11/13/2014, 10:35 PMIf only this one had a coin. :(
The pceworks website does confirm that the same coin will be included with this set as well:

http://pceworks.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/pce-memories-ii/#more-191

"Once again the boxsets in the first run will be individually numbered and will include one of our PCEWorks coins (still the same design, but you will be able to redeem coins for bonus items at a later point, so hold on to them). "
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

HailingTheThings

Quote from: ElSeven on 11/13/2014, 10:53 PM
Quote from: schnuth on 11/13/2014, 10:35 PMIf only this one had a coin. :(
The pceworks website does confirm that the same coin will be included with this set as well:

http://pceworks.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/pce-memories-ii/#more-191

"Once again the boxsets in the first run will be individually numbered and will include one of our PCEWorks coins (still the same design, but you will be able to redeem coins for bonus items at a later point, so hold on to them). "
Interesting.
IMG

Flare65

Super Air Zonk and Beyond Shadow Gate will probably be in the next set he is making.  I don't see any reason why he won't make more of these

Keith Courage

Well for those of you who like the idea of beyond shadow gate in the future you might want to message this guy and request it. I mentioned it to him and he said it was the least requested game so there are no plans as of right now for ever doing that game.

MotherGunner

We should request Magical Chase.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

grache

Quote from: BlueBMW on 11/13/2014, 04:25 PMWonder how long until someone takes notice and puts a stop to it...
I'm surprised it hasn't been stopped already. The HappyConsoleGamer's review of PCE Best of Japan has 20k views, that's a lot of publicity.

I wonder if these will become collectible and increase in value when the guy inevitably gets shut down. Hmm.. they probably will..

* grache orders 20 copies
TurboGrafx-16 HuCard Collection: 7.3% complete    7 / 96 titles

NecroPhile

Quote from: MotherGunner on 11/14/2014, 01:12 AMWe should request Magical Chase.
Hacking a 4mb huey to fit within super cd ram limits is likely beyond his abilities, but that would be a nice one.  My dream would be to have both versions playable, selectable music between the original chippy tunes and the redbook ones from the sound track disc, and a small gallery showing side by side comparisons of the differences.  A robot can dream, right?

MotherGunner

Quote from: guest on 11/14/2014, 09:33 AM
Quote from: MotherGunner on 11/14/2014, 01:12 AMWe should request Magical Chase.
Hacking a 4mb huey to fit within super cd ram limits is likely beyond his abilities, but that would be a nice one.  My dream would be to have both versions playable, selectable music between the original chippy tunes and the redbook ones from the sound track disc, and a small gallery showing side by side comparisons of the differences.  A robot can dream, right?
Or repro huey's!  =)   

I think I'll go for this set.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

pixeljunkie

very pleased the art for these are completely remixed. I think it's pretty rad.

But yes, game selection is meh

I also emailed a Beyond Shadowgate request...as well as Might & magic 3  [-o&lt;

Bernie

I did the same, requesting BS and MM3.  I guess my next observation should be obvious...but I am hoping these editions are the US releases?  I only say that, cause it appears he is using the Japanese art.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Bernie on 11/14/2014, 12:19 PMI did the same, requesting BS and MM3.  I guess my next observation should be obvious...but I am hoping these editions are the US releases?  I only say that, cause it appears he is using the Japanese art.
The use of the words Turbo Duo indicates to me that these are the US releases.
--DragonmasterDan

Bernie

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/14/2014, 12:25 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 11/14/2014, 12:19 PMI did the same, requesting BS and MM3.  I guess my next observation should be obvious...but I am hoping these editions are the US releases?  I only say that, cause it appears he is using the Japanese art.
The use of the words Turbo Duo indicates to me that these are the US releases.
I understand that, but I don't want to assume.

munchiaz

I'm on the fence about both the collections. I want them, but my money is tied up (smash bros. Wii U) right now

NecroPhile

Quote from: Bernie on 11/14/2014, 12:19 PMI guess my next observation should be obvious...but I am hoping these editions are the US releases?  I only say that, cause it appears he is using the Japanese art.
Dungeon Explorer 2 is the only one that appears to use the PCE version's artwork wholesale; Bonk 3 and Dynastic Hero are pretty heavily modified versions of the PCE art, and Godzilla is completely different.

Bonk 3 CD is US only anyway, and the other three would be cheaper to buy real PCE versions than these booties.

Bernie

I guess I should read everything before typing/speaking...  durp!!

"THE TURBO DUO EDITION
Included in our second boxset are four games, which all of you have certainly heard of before. While the BEST OF JAPAN boxset tried to replicate the look of the original japanese releases, we certainly tried to rectify what T.T.I did to those late Turbo Duo releases in the early to mid 90s.

All four titles feature new cover layouts (we got rid of the huge Duo Logo up front), full color manuals with fresh layouts (instead of the terribly designed black & white booklets), new CD designs and a sexy spine card for all that just can't justify adding a game to their collection without one (of course you're welcome to just get rid of them, if you don't like them). We hope you like the results! All four games are the english-language US versions of course."

CGQuarterly

Already submitted my request to buy this.  I know a lot of you guys are down on this guy, suggesting that it costs him $15 to produce these sets, but I think you're way off.  I bought the first set, and the quality is absolutely top-notch, and it's obvious that a lot of attention to detail and just plain Turbo-love went in to it.  I don't know or have anything to do with anything that this guy may or may not have done to the community, but this is a top-quality product and I have absolutely no problem paying $37.50 shipped per title.

NecroPhile

$15 is a lot closer to his actual cost than $150.  A standard jewel case with 8 page book and full color everything is known to cost about $1000 for 500*, so figure $8 for the games themselves; add $4 for the spines; add $3 for the coin (less if additional copies were made for future box sets); and add maybe $5 for the box (small quantity = pricey).  So about $20.

* - I know these are "limited" to 100 copies, I've no doubt that more were made for later sale.

seieienbu

I'm glad that the artwork look visibly different.  I'd like to easily be able to tell repros at a glance.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93