RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

Started by Game-Tech.US, 11/14/2014, 12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeMonster

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 08/31/2015, 11:23 PMSmokeMonster, been here less then a year, has less then 200 post, barely active, thinks he knows who two of the best members in the community are. LOL @ that. There is no "two best" members here idiot, there are quite a few awesome people here that bring a lot to the table, and DK isn't counted among them.

Game-techs repair and mod service seems great, but I mean, he isn't the only one here doing it. Keith, Turbokon, TheSteve, etc. Are you saying Game-Tech or DarKKKobold is more valuable here then they are? FUCK THAT NOISE. Oh my god I cant stop laughing at that. Seriously, my ribs hurt. Dammit lol.

EDIT: Fuck lol even Nintega was more valuable then DarKKKobold. at least he could be funny at times. Seriously Smoke, are you a DarKKKobold alt account or something lol? There is no way you could type something like saying DarKKKobold is one of the best members here and not have been cracking up a little inside as you did.
I said that you're a worthless troll cunt and that I know nothing about DarKKKobold. I could write that out for you in a few paragraphs of imbecilic ranting if it would make it more clear. No one gives a shit about you or your self-entitled whiny bitch point of view.

GT and Kevtris are respected members of the community however.

Quote from: guest on 08/31/2015, 11:23 PMWhich community?  This mod does literally nothing for the PC Engine community.
Are you fucking serious?

SmokeMonster

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 08/31/2015, 11:42 PMOh hell, I just realized that Smokemonster was the knob running the TED roms ebay auctions. Oh, the irony of him posting in this. Oh god it just gets funnier and funnier.
Right, I'm the one who was falsely accused of selling group-buy TEDs here and proved that to be wrong. I was attacked exactly like you go after GT for starting some auctions at retail price and having them blow up, and how did I respond? I never sold another Everdrive with roms since, despite the fact that it would triple or quadruple my sales prices.

Nice history revision though.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SmokeMonster on 09/01/2015, 12:17 AMAre you fucking serious?
I am totally serious.   When you say "the community", I assume PC Engine.

When you discuss NES mods in this community, it contributes diddly dick to the PC Engine community.

I hope this was clear enough for you to understand.  Maybe you should be less ambiguous, and maybe you should also try to be less of a bag of semen.

Now, if you meant the community as in "the omfg retrogaemers community of all the consoels 4 lyfe", I still don't see what this contributes, since as I've said, a composite modded NES toploader, or Famicom, is not that expensive.

A front loader already does it.

Jam it in an upscaler.   add scanlines.  Looks fine.   

I just witnessed the mod in action, and also look at Playchoice 10 cabinets and go *shrug*.    It's not that impressive.    NES composite somehow upscales fine.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SmokeMonster

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2015, 12:28 AMI am totally serious.   When you say "the community", I assume PC Engine
So posting years of PCE/TG16 how-to videos, tech demonstrations, mod writeups, and having a completely positive attitude to the PC Engine community means nothing to you?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SmokeMonster on 09/01/2015, 12:33 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/01/2015, 12:28 AMI am totally serious.   When you say "the community", I assume PC Engine
So posting years of PCE/TG16 how-to videos, tech demonstrations, mod writeups, and having a completely positive attitude to the PC Engine community means nothing to you?
note how I said "this mod".  At no point did I say anything about the other stuff.

I like how you just ragged on Profprof for reading skills, and totally blew it when you posted.

Are you done now?

All I see here are some new guys acting like total jackasses.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: SmokeMonster on 09/01/2015, 12:18 AM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 08/31/2015, 11:42 PMOh hell, I just realized that Smokemonster was the knob running the TED roms ebay auctions. Oh, the irony of him posting in this. Oh god it just gets funnier and funnier.
Right, I'm the one who was falsely accused of selling group-buy TEDs here and proved that to be wrong. I was attacked exactly like you go after GT for starting some auctions at retail price and having them blow up, and how did I respond? I never sold another Everdrive with roms since, despite the fact that it would triple or quadruple my sales prices.

Nice history revision though.
Your ebay seller feedback is your history. Shit doesn't lie. Only an asshole would sell rom carts, multiple ones in fact, full of roms on ebay. No defense for that. I don't care if it was TED group buy shit or not. It was a blatant cash grab. You're a joke. Worse then Tobias even in that respect. Maybe you should go away for another month. We almost forgot this time about what you did. Maybe in two to three months....hell you never know, anything is possible. People may actually one day forget you're the asshole that sold those preloaded rom carts.

Also, just a tip, you may want to seek out your family doctor and see if he would be willing to refill that Valium prescription. Your panties are wound way way too tight girl. Your post seem to be seething with rage for this forum.

Quote from: cjameslv on 08/31/2015, 11:02 PMIs prof for real??  Kevtris is a designer/developer, i must have missed the part of the job description where they are required to be camera friendly and enjoyable to watch?
To keep someones attention and make them feel engaged on some level you have to present some kind of personality or energy on video. Just staring blankly into the camera and kind of rambling off and on in some emotionless manner doesn't cut it. The guy doesn't look comfortable in front of the camera, or appear psyched about his own product most of the time.

At least Game-tech does in his own videos, so if I was Kev, I'd just use Game-tech for the vid updates for now on. Totally their call, but between the two of them, GT is the better of the two on this youtube shit. Just how it is.

Quote from: cjameslv on 08/31/2015, 11:02 PMWTF is wrong with prof? Until prof posts a youtube video and proves hes not awkward and is enjoyable to watch, he should stfu...
I don't present my self as some kind of youtube tech personality, so I have no reason to sit there in front of a camera over and over again. I submit videos off and on about random things like the 3DO M2 kiosk units, or about pc parts and old computers. Instead of having people stare at me to no end though I get to the meat and potatoes and show the stuff doing what it does.

Quote from: cjameslv on 08/31/2015, 11:02 PMKevtris, this moron does not speak for other people on this forum. I wouldn't even waste my breath on him.
I never presented myself as someone that does. But I did state I am not the only one with concerns or skepticism. Now you have others posting them, so there is that ehh...

Quote from: cjameslv on 08/31/2015, 11:02 PMSadly, I don't even like this high def nes, but i respect the fact that you put in serious time and effort to bring this project to light.

James doesn't really. The guy is just taking your side because it fits his agenda. Honestly James couldnt give a flying fuck about you.

Quote from: cjameslv on 08/31/2015, 11:02 PMYou guys posted it in the correct section on our site as well. If prof isn't planning on purchasing a system from you, he has ZERO f_cking say in anything that should revolve around it with his worthless ramblings carrying no weight.
Your right, I don't have any intention to buy a system from him, and as is, the odds of me wanting to buy a kit from him are getting slimmer and slimmer. Either way, this thread was not initially a sales thread to dump systems on ebay either. Game-Tech made it the such just as of late for the epic super duper ultra ebay launch. After seeing that didn't go over so well he kind of shut up about the ebay auctions. If Game-tech wants to make this a sales thread, he will have to have it moved to the proper sales section, and we can all go from there. Until then as of late its simply a quasi spam update thread full of spin and some evading of hard questions.

SmokeMonster

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 09/01/2015, 12:43 AMYour ebay seller feedback is your history. Shit doesn't lie. Only an asshole would sell rom carts, multiple ones in fact, full of roms on ebay. No defense for that. I don't care if it was TED group buy shit or not. It was a blatant cash grab. You're a joke. Worse then Tobias even in that respect. Maybe you should go away for another month. We almost forgot this time about what you did. Maybe in two to three months....hell you never know, anything is possible. People may actually one day forget you're the asshole that sold those preloaded rom carts.
I honestly don't care what you think. You have no credibility beyond being one of the resident ranting white knight jackasses. I never made the mistake of including SD cards with any roms since those first listings, so your attack is mute. If I were after big money, I would have learned the opposite lesson from those auctions. Instead, this is more typical of what I sell lately, or a gem like this. And my feedback is 100%

Arkhan Asylum

Can someone explain to me how a N64 flash cart in a shell with some labels is a "gem" ?

and can someone explain why you even need an N64 flashcart?  The 5 games on it worth owning cost like 32 cents.

SmokeMonster

I meant gem sarcastically because it sold for almost nothing. Not a great library by any stretch of the imagination, but the Everdrive64 is the only way to play Goldeneye X at least.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: SmokeMonster on 09/01/2015, 01:04 AM/5fb7b824-4081-412c-884b-b570f9d4e86e_zps8hnfmgpo.png

I am Adora, He-Bro's kinda chunky twin sister and defender of the Rom Palace. This is CashGrab, my beloved steed. Fabulous secrets were revealed to me the day I logged into ebay and said "The card is flashed with the latest Turbo Everdrive OS, and is completely setup with everything ever released for both the Turbografx-16 and PC Engine. Also included are tons of homebrew, translations, and more. It's fully setup so you can just plug it in and play.
". I am PERIOD BEAST!

Only a few others share this secret. Among them are DarkKobold and Romcartz. Together me and my friends of the Great Rebellion try to defend The Community and Kevtris from the evil forces of the haters.
IKR?

Arkhan Asylum

135$ is almost nothing?

wat.

I am going to play Famicom now.

on an 80$ AV modded system through an XRGB3.   

SmokeMonster

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 09/01/2015, 01:19 AMIKR?
Right, or "No games included" which is what every auction since has read. Troll on.

PCEngineHell

Doesn't make up for prior deeds. You'd have kept on selling said roms if you were not called out on it. You only stopped because you got shamed publicly and were worried people would report your auctions. Otherwise it would have been business as usual.

SmokeMonster

PCEngineHell

Quote from: SmokeMonster on 09/01/2015, 01:40 AMI am Adora, He-Bro's kinda chunky twin sister and defender of the Rom Palace. This is CashGrab, my beloved steed. Fabulous secrets were revealed to me the day I logged into ebay and said "The card is flashed with the latest Turbo Everdrive OS, and is completely setup with everything ever released for both the Turbografx-16 and PC Engine.....".....but then I got caught and the fun stopped...... :(
:-({|=

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 08/31/2015, 11:23 PMEDIT: Fuck lol even Psycho Nintega was more valuable then DarKKKobold. at least he could be funny at times. Seriously Smoke, are you a DarKKKobold alt account or something lol? There is no way you could type something like saying DarKKKobold is one of the best members here and not have been cracking up a little inside as you did.
He never said I was one of the best members here. Nothing even remotely close. Holy shit you are dense as a rock.

Also, no one cares if you think I'm valuable. Least of all me. I think you are a keyboard warrior shut-in.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

These are some crappy cellphone camera grabs of my Famicom + AV mod going into an XRGB3 to my 60" TV.

IMG
IMG
IMG

Now, take the XRGB3 out of the picture and use a cheap 35-40$ composite upscaler, and you're getting this kind of image, for less than half the price of the thing.  If you already had an XRGB or something for other purposes, you can just exclude it altogether and enjoy NES on bigTV9000 for <100$

I saw the quality of this thing in action in an AnalogueThingy.  It outputs and looks nice.  However, for the price, I think it's a waste.  It's NES.

Even the crispest, greatest NES image of all time is not that great.  It's NES.  There's not enough colors per tile to really benefit from this stuff.

Composite upscaled eliminates artifacts/smudgies, and is crisp + scanliney.    I could probably make the above images look better if I cared enough.   I didn't bother tweaking settings in the XRG3.

So you're only really going to benefit from this mod if you're some kind of NES fanboy, you have a boner for overpriced hardware (the AnalogueThing), or you never intend to do anything upscaley with any other machine.

oh, and there is no input lag in this case.  I'm sure someone will bring that up.  I sit and blow through Legend of Kage ad naseum.

You can't do that with input lag.  That's not a thing that people do.

So, what I am ultimately getting at here is, the mod is nice enough for what it is, but the price is batshit insane. 

PCEngineHell

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2015, 02:31 AM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 08/31/2015, 11:23 PMEDIT: Fuck lol even Nintega was more valuable then DarKKKobold. at least he could be funny at times. Seriously Smoke, are you a DarKKKobold alt account or something lol? There is no way you could type something like saying DarKKKobold is one of the best members here and not have been cracking up a little inside as you did.
He never said I was one of the best members here. Nothing even remotely close. Holy shit you are dense as a rock.

Also, no one cares if you think I'm valuable. Least of all me. I think you are a keyboard warrior shut-in.
Actually it was rather hard to tell who he was talking about. He came in to aid you then swapped over to the other two when he said that. That guy was a mess. Just one scum bucket defending another in your case, and it gave me a chuckle. Stop having hurt feelings over it. You already know what people think of you here. By now you should be used to it. At least you have a fallback plan, that DoxPhile gig and all.

Opethian

for the record I did report his auctions
IMG

PCEngineHell

Yeah he only stopped listing that crap because he didnt want to lose his ebay account. That is all there is to it.

PCEngineHell

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 09/01/2015, 08:58 AMActually it was rather hard to tell who he was talking about. He came in to aid you then swapped over to the other two when he said that. That guy was a mess. Just one scum bucket defending another in your case, and it gave me a chuckle. Stop having hurt feelings over it. You already know what people think of you here. By now you should be used to it. At least you have a fall back plan, that DoxPhile gig and all.
He didn't aid me, he called you a cunt troll. That is it.

The rest of your attack has been based on some crazy-ass nutjob narrative you created in your head, where we are the new A-Team, standing up against PCEFX.

"Fall back plan?" From what? I didn't know I had a "master plan,"  which requires a "fallback plan."

And overall:
IMG
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

NecroPhile

DarKKKobold, smoke, and prof: take your personal attacks elsewhere.  If you don't have anything to say about the topic (preferably something new instead of a continual rehash of this thing being useless, overpriced, etc.), then this thread isn't for you.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 09/01/2015, 09:35 AMHe didn't aid me, he called you a cunt troll. That is it.

The rest of your attack has been based on some crazy-ass nutjob narrative you created in your head, where we are the new A-Team, standing up against PCEFX.

"Fall back plan?" From what? I didn't know I had a "master plan,"  which requires a "fallback plan."
Oh he came to your defense. At any rate kiddo, you sure do get all emotional rather easy. As for master plan, you're giving yourself too much credit. Just stated the obvious. You got a forum to fallback on where you are accepted. I'm sure it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside :wink:.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/01/2015, 10:19 AMDildoKKKobold, smoke, and prof: take your personal attacks elsewhere.  If you don't have anything to say about the topic (preferably something new instead of a continual rehash of this thing being useless, overpriced, etc.), then this thread isn't for you.
Fair request is fair.    Edit: Gah, hate typing on samsung. Anyway Ark posted some good pics. If I get the time I will do the same with my iscan on my lcd. Had not run my fami on my lcd yet.

PunkCryborg

Arkhan Asylum

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/01/2015, 02:57 AMThese are some crappy cellphone camera grabs of my Famicom + AV mod going into an XRGB3 to my 60" TV.

IMG
This image demonstrates the biggest problem with composite- the dot crawl. If you look at the letters at the bottom of the screen, you can see how much the white bleeds over into the black. Its not as noticable on the NES, as say, Genesis via composite. That said, it is still noticeable, and has the potential to be far crisper.

I hate dot crawl.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

That is also a photograph taken with my phone held directly in front of the TV, slightly out of focus.

It's a pretty "meh" problem for NES.   As you even noted, it's not as noticeable as Genesis, or PCE, or any other machine for that matter.

For some reason, NES composite seems to be good enough.   I wasn't convinced of the quality vs. cost increase for RGB NES, and certainly not for HDMI NES.   

If you're sitting on my couch (The Goonies screenshot), you can see that you don't really see much of an issue.

Gredler

Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/01/2015, 10:19 AMDildoKKKobold, smoke, and prof: take your personal attacks elsewhere.  If you don't have anything to say about the topic (preferably something new instead of a continual rehash of this thing being useless, overpriced, etc.), then this thread isn't for you.
Thanks NecroPhile.

This makes me curious what a kind of picture quality I could get. I use a CRT for these systems, but have HD tvs at my house and it'd be nice to occasionally play a oldie on the new set. I would like to sink into my good couch and play on my good tv for this weeks GoTW. Thanks for posting this thread, and thanks mod for re-railing it ;)

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2015, 02:11 PMFor some reason, NES composite seems to be good enough.   I wasn't convinced of the quality vs. cost increase for RGB NES, and certainly not for HDMI NES.   
This is how I've felt, especially on my CRT. Stock video outputs at their highest quality has been fine for me. I really do often feel that the artifacts that accompany these interfaces are part of the charm of the picture. Actually, getting my art to show up on a crt through composite piped through the duo was a great moment for me. I really appreciate being able to see that, but the second I put it on my HDTV shit goes blurry, and pretty shitty - certainly not the same and hardly similar to the picture I get on my CRT.

I really would like to invest in an upscaler, but Turbokun's offer is likely what will be my go to.

Game-Tech.US

Initial stages of fitment of kit to front loader NES.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Gredler on 09/01/2015, 02:14 PMI really would like to invest in an upscaler, but Turbokun's offer is likely what will be my go to.
they make cheaper upscalers that only do Composite, and you can use a composite amp to help increase the signal.   Those things run like 40 or so bucks.

If you never plan on doing any RGB stuff, they're a good alternative.

SmokeMonster

Extron DVS-204 or the Hall TVB-200 are cheap and look identical to Arkhan Asylum's captures. The problems are identical too though. Both have VGA out for scanlines, which gives the impression of better sharpness at least. I only use the NES with a CRT because scaled composite doesn't look good at all to my eyes.

DeshDildo

Welcome to NeoEngineFX.com.  The flames here are so ridiculous.  If you don't like the work Kevtris and Game.Tech are peddling don't buy it.  Hasn't mommy ever told anyone here if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all? 

In any event, I personally love my RGB NES on my Wega.  In fact, almost all of my systems are minimally running s-video which is a vast improvement over composite.  I think this HDMI kit is pretty cool and admittedly I am bummed I can't purchase one right away.  I am dying to see one side by side with an RGB NES through a Frameister and this HDMI kit.

My biggest issue is there seems to be a bit of input lag on some TV ' S with the frameister so I want to see if there is with this kit.  Also, there are plenty of folks out there that only mainly play NES and don't care as much about other platforms.  This kit (even at $150) is a steal compared to frameister ($400) plus RGB kit ($85).  I personally am not a fan of composite even when upscaled.  It's all in personal preference.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/01/2015, 02:11 PMFor some reason, NES composite seems to be good enough.   I wasn't convinced of the quality vs. cost increase for RGB NES, and certainly not for HDMI NES.   
I'm currently having my AV fami upgraded with the RGB kit. I'll be using svideo out. I'm fairly excited to see how it turns out. It may turn out that I just wasted money for a very minor upgrade, or I may be blown away at how Mega Man looks.

At the end of the day, it is all what you can afford, and what you value. Back when people did the PC10 mod, it made no sense to me, because the palette was wrong. That said, I wouldn't have disparaged them for doing what they wanted with their money.

If people are financially secure, can afford the HDMI nes mod without starving or going into debt, then more power to them.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 09/01/2015, 06:36 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/01/2015, 02:11 PMFor some reason, NES composite seems to be good enough.   I wasn't convinced of the quality vs. cost increase for RGB NES, and certainly not for HDMI NES.   
I'm currently having my AV fami upgraded with the RGB kit. I'll be using svideo out. I'm fairly excited to see how it turns out. It may turn out that I just wasted money for a very minor upgrade, or I may be blown away at how Mega Man looks.

At the end of the day, it is all what you can afford, and what you value. Back when people did the PC10 mod, it made no sense to me, because the palette was wrong. That said, I wouldn't have disparaged them for doing what they wanted with their money.

If people are financially secure, can afford the HDMI nes mod without starving or going into debt, then more power to them.
If you are using NESRGB, then it looks as perfect as emulation, without any of the imperfections. Just make sure it's being set to the authentic palette or that a palette swpping switch is being installed.

I felt the same way about RGB-based mods before this and was on the fence for a bit about the palette part, but after researching I found that it was not only authentic enough for me, but even more so for everything that is restored by methods like this. After playing it in person, it exceeded my expectations.

I can't be bothered to read up on all of the features of the hi-def NES kit, since the main difference is adding things I don't want, but it would be cool if you could disable things like the digital audio and if you can line out s-video or component when playing on a crt.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PCEngineHell

Granted, I have kind of a crap camera, so it is hard for me to get any really quality shots. It doesn't handle the contrast and black levels off of my LCD very well, but here goes:

Av modded Famicom via iScan Plus V2:

/2015-09-01%2018.00.43_zpso340am6x.jpg

Av modded Famicom via Toshiba composite in on "Game Mode":

/2015-09-01%2018.19.36_zpsntecd2pe.jpg

As is I have been fairly happy with the Toshiba on it's own. It has decent hardware built in to handle composite and svideo sources via its "Game Mode". I really got the iScan stuff to use on crt vga monitors, though they will output both VGA and component video, and can be used with a mini SLG, though I have not bothered to buy or make one yet.

I mean, if I had to game with just using my Toshiba, I would be fine between its decent internal hardware and the iScan paired with it. The Toshiba doesn't have issues with 240P signals, nor does it have any sucky deinterlacing issues or problems with shadow effects in games thankfully. The Toshiba set me back around $500 or so way back when I picked it up. It was one of the more expensive 26inch lcds at the time, and one of the few available with a legit game mode. Well worth the money I spent by far.

Arkhan Asylum

I could afford all of this high end crap. 

The thing is, I'm not into wasting money on things for marginal improvements at best, or buying devices specifically for the penis waving audiophile-esque thing like the AnalogueNT.     I'll admit it's a nice looking device, but, I don't have a need for it.  Especially for the price.   I'm all set at Fort Famicom already.

I've still got my toploader from when I was like 5 and we had to replace the front loader because my dumbass sister kept pulling it off the shelf since she's convinced leaning into jumps actually makes Mario jump farther.   It's just got AV out now.   Got a Famicom with the same treatment.   Totally set.

If I wanted, I could go pop a composite amp on the line and probably enhance the picture.  Or I could give more of a shit and go mess with the XRGB3's settings.  They're basically on stock settings.

I don't think I'll ever be impressed by any RGBNES setup.   I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong.  I've seen't it on PlayChoice 10, XRGB outs, PVM... it's whatever. 

Just like how the MSX RGB out is like "eh whatever" for the MSX1 titles.

It's important for the MSX2 titles, really.    That's where the pixel smudgery and text bleeding becomes a problem.   You can't really play Hydlide 3 on an MSX with composite out through an upscaler.  The text is all idiotic looking.

Now, like I said, the HDMI mod we have here is not a bad thing.  It's pretty useful for people who mostly just play NES, and have no intention of ever getting an upscaler.

The price is what's blowing my mind.  Didn't one of the auctions cap out at like 750$?   Why?   I get that it's a bid and this essentially means someone out there is a fucking retard with their money...

but why not just do BINs with a fair price and establish a sane market for the mod?

This sort of thing is only going to help contribute to the rapidly increasing prices of things for no good reason.   We're letting spazzes with poor financial self control do all of the price establishing.   These people are not the people you want to establish prices.   

I personally just see no justification for spending that much when you could spend less and get an RGB'd NES.

Shit, for the 750$ or whatever, I could literally spend an extra 100, and go get a Playchoice 10 cabinet at the arcade shop down the street....

This is why I am like

IMG

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/01/2015, 08:31 PMWe're letting spazzes with poor financial self control do all of the price establishing. 
This is where I think we disagree. "Let" suggests that you or I have some form of control over how these people spend their own hard-earned money. We don't, and shouldn't.

Auctions, to me, seemed like a fair way to sell the units. Its not kevtris's fault what people decided they wanted to spend.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 09/01/2015, 10:26 PMAuctions, to me, seemed like a fair way to sell the units. Its not kevtris's fault what people decided they wanted to spend.
Which is why I *literally* said "but why not just do BINs with a fair price and establish a sane market for the mod?"

mitigating collectard-itis is pretty much everyone who's doing these sort of thing's obligation.

Why do you think the games I make don't come sealed?

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/01/2015, 11:23 PM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 09/01/2015, 10:26 PMAuctions, to me, seemed like a fair way to sell the units. Its not kevtris's fault what people decided they wanted to spend.
Which is why I *literally* said "but why not just do BINs with a fair price and establish a sane market for the mod?"

mitigating collectard-itis is pretty much everyone who's doing these sort of thing's obligation.

Why do you think the games I make don't come sealed?
You raise a good point, just having a selling price would have been better for the community. Don't get me started on the LE homebrew auctions that NA goes ga-ga for.

Good advice for my potential future release. I'll keep this in mind.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

CrackTiger

If the kits are sold for what's been mentioned, I think it's a great deal for what it does, even though I personally think that some of the features do more harm than good and would like the option of turning them off if this was the only product of its kind.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

xcrement5x

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/01/2015, 11:23 PM
I agree that there should be some personal responsibility involved in helping establish a set price point, but it's possible that maybe since these are early units and he didn't have enough right now to sell them he just wanted to run them as auctions to drum up some press on the product? 

It's all conjecture on my part, but we are all talking about them so if it was about getting some free press than it is definitely working. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Arkhan Asylum

The problem is, like any other retro-game-related-thing, once the idiots with credit cards / poor financial decision making come out of the woodwork, there's no turning back.

esadajr

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 08/31/2015, 04:14 PMI may be late to the game here, but why spend all this $$$ just to turn your nes into displaying 1080p and digital sound? Kind of scratching my head here on that one..
you're not alone, I thought this was it

NES-av_tv.gif
nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nes/images/av_tv.gif
Gaming since 1985

SmokeMonster

Do the naysayers feel entitled to a charity where GT works full time to make cheap turn-key consoles?

Why aren't they happy that the worlds first few HDMI NES are paying off and paving the way for the cheap kits that will follow? Many of us are thrilled that GT is finally getting a little money for the huge amount of time he spent  designing, engineering, implementing, and successfully launching Hi-Def. I think there is a major underestimation of how much went in to this.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SmokeMonster on 09/02/2015, 03:54 PMDo the naysayers feel entitled to a charity where GT works full time to make cheap turn-key consoles?

Why aren't they happy that the worlds first few HDMI NES are paying off and paving the way for the cheap kits that will follow? Many of us are thrilled that GT is finally getting a little money for the huge amount of time he spent  designing, engineering, implementing, and successfully launching Hi-Def. I think there is a major underestimation of how much went in to this.
Newflash dude, we all blow our free time on these things, free of charge.   I worked on Atlantean during most of my free time.  0$ generated.   This stuff isn't supposed to be for large scale profits.   Could you imagine how idiotic it would've been if the first wave of those were going for upwards of 200$ so we could hastily claim that we broke even?

As I've already stated, now we have established prices on these things. 

So, these kits, once available, will then likely be bought, slapped into machines, and peddled around for 600+$ by assholes, because that's exactly what people do.   They do cash grabs that take advantage of idiots, and people with poor financial decision making abilities.

This cuts into the available stock of NES for normal people, and further drives up prices and makes it difficult for people to enjoy.

It's called forward thinking.

and what about when Kevtris/GT see that their kits are being used to turn a bigger profit?  It encourages  them to do the same.     So, while this device is a solid idea, the business maneuvers are dooming it.   Nobody is underestimating the effort that went into any of this.   You seem to have difficulty grasping that.

MSRP is a thing.  You shouldn't let spazzes with triggerhappy eBay behaviors establish the prices.  But, that is what happened. 

Congrats for generating a ton of money and breaking even, or more.   

Boo for inadvertently contributing to the financial idiocy of retro games.

NecroPhile

Quote from: SmokeMonster on 09/02/2015, 03:54 PMDo the naysayers feel entitled to a charity where GT works full time to make cheap turn-key consoles?

Did you even bother to read anyone else's post before jumping in to say 'fuck teh haters!', and why are you so adamant that there's no middle ground?

The price could have been set at a point where he'd make the 'little' money nobody disagrees he deserves, but instead he chose to set up a cash grab, contributing to the collectard fueled price escalation of all things retro.  Unlike yourself, some of us here actually give a shit about the community and would rather not see it overrun by people looking to make a buck, build on their 'investment', and fishing for virtual hand jobs over their latest unboxing video (see any facebook game group).  That said, I see nothing much wrong with the proposed kit prices; I look at it like RGB mods on a Turbob - I don't see it being worth the cost, but it's a fine option for those that think it makes a big enough difference to be worth the investment.

SmokeMonster

I read the entire thread, and I get an email every time someone posts to it. My defense of GT is very much the middle ground.

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 04:18 PMNewflash dude, we all blow our free time on these things, free of charge.   I worked on Atlantean during most of my free time.  0$ generated.   This stuff isn't supposed to be for large scale profits.   Could you imagine how idiotic it would've been if the first wave of those were going for upwards of 200$ so we could hastily claim that we broke even?
You can produce as many games per batch as you need. GT has a limited supply of toploaders collecting dust to get rid of, after which he's going into the business of making affordable kits using the collateral from his sales. Why shouldn't he think on a large scale like Stoneagegamer and other retailers?

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 04:18 PMAs I've already stated, now we have established prices on these things. 
No, people have established an imaginary number in their head of what they want to pay for the first few devices ever sold. You are hardly the person to comment on price, having paid $300 just for composite scaled NES and suggesting that it's just as good as RGB.

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 04:18 PMSo, these kits, once available, will then likely be bought, slapped into machines, and peddled around for 600+$ by assholes, because that's exactly what people do.   They do cash grabs that take advantage of idiots, and people with poor financial decision making abilities.
The $600 price will obviously not last. You can't sell a console for its introductory price after six months. These are the early adopters of a hot new piece of hardware, and of course it's more expensive than if they had waited or installed their own kit.

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 04:18 PMThis cuts into the available stock of NES for normal people, and further drives up prices and makes it difficult for people to enjoy.
This is the most ridiculous argument yet and there is no evidence to suggest that HDMI NES kits are going to raise the price of an NES. Please share a single example of this actually happening. The NES was one of the best selling consoles of all time...

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 04:18 PMIt's called forward thinking.
It's also called inventing a story with lots of baseless assumptions. Think into the future when you can buy a kit and install it yourself.

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2015, 04:18 PMand what about when Kevtris/GT see that their kits are being used to turn a bigger profit?  It encourages  them to do the same.     So, while this device is a solid idea, the business maneuvers are dooming it.   Nobody is underestimating the effort that went into any of this.   You seem to have difficulty grasping that.

MSRP is a thing.  You shouldn't let spazzes with triggerhappy eBay behaviors establish the prices.  But, that is what happened. 

Congrats for generating a ton of money and breaking even, or more.   

Boo for inadvertently contributing to the financial idiocy of retro games.
Yes, it's better to jump to a hundred conclusions in a series of illogical steps... Nothing that you said has any evidence to support it, beyond being worst case scenarios dreamed up by someone who admittedly sees no use for HDMI NES anyways.

NecroPhile

Quote from: SmokeMonster on 09/02/2015, 05:22 PMI read the entire thread, and I get an email every time someone posts to it. My defense of GT is very much the middle ground.
Hardly.  You're implying that ANY amount of profit is acceptable and that anyone who disagrees is just an ignorant hater, leaving no middle ground where someone can argue that x amount of profit is okay but y is too much.

But I digress.  You're just another profiteer that makes up bullshit and justifications as you go along, and I've little doubt you're just trying to figure out how you can buy these kits and flip 'em for big monies.