10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

TG CD won't spin

Started by Marll, 11/14/2014, 03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marll

So, my TG CD has been sitting dormant for a while, in it's hard case. I've now got a dedicated retro gaming area, and hooked it up this morning before work and while everything seems normal, powers on, etc. the CD won't spin.

I didn't have time to open it up and take a look, but what types of issues have others run into that cause this behavior? I'd like to see if I can get an idea of what I'm looking for before I go monkeying around.

Last thing I played was to test Mysterious Song and that worked normally. Since that time the system has been sitting in the hard case for about a year or so not really doing anything.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

thesteve

stuck gear most often

Marll

Related to the infamous middle gear, or another gear in the system? Looks like it's shooting a laser, but just not spinning.

Ordered a middle gear replacement from Hong Kong that will hopefully be here before too long. If it's that simple I'll be happy about it.

Just makes me realize that when you've had a device like this for 23 years or so things are bound to happen. I should really find another laser and some other parts to make sure I can keep this running for another 23!
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

thesteve

yes the middle gear
the tend to stick when unused

clackattack

just a little cleanup and re-grease may get u back up and running
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

turbokon

Cold solder joints in the cxa chip will also cause this.  Reflowing it helps.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

ldeveraux

Quote from: Marll on 11/14/2014, 03:53 PMSo, my TG CD has been sitting dormant for a while, in it's hard case. I've now got a dedicated retro gaming area, and hooked it up this morning before work and while everything seems normal, powers on, etc. the CD won't spin.

I didn't have time to open it up and take a look, but what types of issues have others run into that cause this behavior? I'd like to see if I can get an idea of what I'm looking for before I go monkeying around.

Last thing I played was to test Mysterious Song and that worked normally. Since that time the system has been sitting in the hard case for about a year or so not really doing anything.
You get this fixed? I have the exact same problem now. I replaced the gear and everything moves freely. I get the "please set disc" error, the laser starts to move, then stops!

Keith Courage

double check that you put the lens ribbon cables back in correctly. the larger wider cable should be inserted with the contacts facing outwards away from the center of the drive.