OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

"Let's Compare: Ninja Spirit"

Started by slinkyturd, 11/30/2014, 02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slinkyturd

Clearly every one of us made the correct choice when it came to choosing a platform to play this game.
70/95 US Turbochips

o.pwuaioc

The Amiga/ST versions aren't god awful.

slinkyturd

The "grafx" weren't bad but the music doesn't even compare to the awesomeness of TG16.
70/95 US Turbochips

esteban

Quote from: slinkyturd on 11/30/2014, 02:31 AMThe "grafx" weren't bad but the music doesn't even compare to the awesomeness of TG16.
100% agreed.

I like the arcade tunes, from the little I heard, but DAMN the TG-16/PCE tunes ooze atmosphere.

Really, really nice.

Also, it is a shame the person making the video couldn't get to the "big statue" boss in PCE version.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

johnnykonami

I had a C64 growing up, and that Ninja Spirit port doesn't look bad at all considering.  I am always a little confused about the ZX spectrum being seemingly unable to produce more than just the color yellow.  Apparently you could also use blue because the weapon selection was using it.  I have no idea why they wouldn't integrate more blue into the actual game background just for the sake of contrast.

But no doubt that the TG-16 port was the best one.

esteban

I've said it before, but it remains trüe:

The PCE/TG-16 port of Ninja Spirit  is arcade-perfect. The original arcade game is nearly arcade-perfect, but not quite.

Trüe story.

VenomMacbeth

I love Ninja Spirit's PCE tunes...but that arcade FM though...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 11/30/2014, 02:04 PMI love Ninja Spirit's PCE tunes...but that arcade FM though...
The arcade tunes are nearly as arcade-perfect as the PCE tunes.

Pretty nice.

jtucci31

Quote from: esteban on 11/30/2014, 02:09 PM
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 11/30/2014, 02:04 PMI love Ninja Spirit's PCE tunes...but that arcade FM though...
The arcade tunes are nearly as PCE-perfect as the PCE tunes.

Pretty nice.
Is that what you meant? :lol:

Gentlegamer

Wow, the C=64 version isn't bad. It's fast, and the screen scrolls smoothly, which is a feat for C=64.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

slinkyturd

I'd argue that the music on the Gameboy was better than I would have expected and also better than many actual console version.
70/95 US Turbochips

cr8zykuban0

omg the zx spectrum and the amstrad versions look terrible! never knew this game was in other systems, let alone the arcade! the turbografx port is very amazing and well done looking close to the arcade

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 12/01/2014, 03:20 AMomg the zx spectrum and the amstrad versions look terrible! never knew this game was in other systems, let alone the arcade! the turbografx port is very amazing and well done looking close to the arcade
It goes without saying that the Spectrum ports of anything are going to be terrible. I have no idea how this computer got so popular.

VenomMacbeth

There was a time when I considered the GB port a holy grail, but after watching some gameplay, I definitely have no desire to go out of my way for it anymore.  If I found a copy for cheap like I did X & After Burst, though...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

NecroPhile

The Turbob is obviously my pick as best, but the gameboy one is surprisingly pretty good.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Dicer

Rare case when a home version is better...

Turbo>Arcade>Gameboy>>>C=64>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else.

64 version is impressive as is the Gameboy considering, those ST/Amiga version got butchered though.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/30/2014, 02:12 PM
Quote from: esteban on 11/30/2014, 02:09 PM
The arcade tunes are nearly as PCE-perfect as the PCE tunes.

Pretty nice.
Is that what you meant? :lol:
Hahaha. I meant what I said and said what I meant. :)

But there is a nice logic to your post as well. :)

imparanoic

apart from the Gameboy version, which is also made by irem,  the computer version was made by English developers - poorly made with little dedication for quality, look at the street fighter2  and ghouls and ghost , back in the early 90's the difference in quality between Japanese and western developers was immense ) but there were a few odd decent western developers, but the tide started to change from playstation era.

even worse thing about the home version, only a single action button ( though late in amiga lifespan, second button was implemented)

Arjak

I'm not at all a graphics whore, but if I ever met a person who bought a ZX Spectrum for gaming back in the day, I would definitely point at them and laugh. Loudly. :lol:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

FraGMarE

Quote from: Dicer on 12/01/2014, 05:30 PMRare case when a home version is better...

64 version is impressive as is the Gameboy considering, those ST/Amiga version got butchered though.
Eh, it's a close call between the original Irem arcade game and the TG16 version, but I'd say the arcade is slightly better.  Much like R-Type.  Irem were gods at porting their stuff to the TG16, though, for sure.

And if you say the TG16 version is better because it has the 5-hit life counter, you obviously don't know what it means to run with the wolves.  ;)

esteban

Paddyfitz18

Quote from: imparanoic on 12/01/2014, 08:40 PMapart from the Gameboy version, which is also made by irem,  the computer version was made by English developers - poorly made with little dedication for quality, look at the street fighter2  and ghouls and ghost , back in the early 90's the difference in quality between Japanese and western developers was immense ) but there were a few odd decent western developers, but the tide started to change from playstation era.
Interesting observation.

reno5

Nice find. Always interesting to see how the same game is being ported.

gameboy version looks good.

Dicer

Quote from: fragmare on 12/03/2014, 01:35 AM
Quote from: Dicer on 12/01/2014, 05:30 PMRare case when a home version is better...

Eh, it's a close call between the original Irem arcade game and the TG16 version, but I'd say the arcade is slightly better.  Much like R-Type.  Irem were gods at porting their stuff to the TG16, though, for sure.

And if you say the TG16 version is better because it has the 5-hit life counter, you obviously don't know what it means to run with the wolves.  ;)
Nope, not the lives, some of the best obey music pours out of that chip, and is just a delight to listen to, also control is spot on. It almost feels like the arcade is the port, TBH