Best PC Engine / Turbografx controller: The Shuttle Controller

Started by Duo_R, 12/04/2014, 08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duo_R

seriously, this thing kicks ass. My Duo Pad controllers are pretty worn out, but really don't feel as comfortable to hold as the shuttle.

IMG

My favorite controller for the system, anyone else have another favorite?

IMG
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Gentlegamer

Avenue 6 has quickly become my favorite 6-face button controller.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

GohanX

esteban

I like 3-button controllers (I have AVE 3 and BLASTER).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

FraGMarE

Ave6 was my fave.  Supposedly, the Hori 6 button PCE controller was even better... supposedly

jtucci31

Quote from: fragmare on 12/05/2014, 02:41 AMAve6 was my fave.  Supposedly, the Hori 6 button PCE controller was even better... supposedly
DragonmasterDan told me the D-pad on the hori 6 button is better than the Ave6 pad. I've briefly tried the Ave6 D-pad and it was ok. I would still like to try that Hori 6 button though.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PunkCryborg

Duo_R

Agreed, we could be printing a new case probably soon

Quote from: guest on 12/05/2014, 10:05 AMWe need to petition jelloslug or aaron to make a new casing for the Ave 3 in the style of the shuttle pad.

That would be full on tits.

Dicer

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/05/2014, 10:05 AMWe need to petition jelloslug or aaron to make a new casing for the Ave 3 in the style of the shuttle pad.

That would be full on tits.
Hell's yeah.

Although, I really don't remember what the shuttle controller feels like.

So, I hope I can trust the pro-shuttle folks. They seem kinda shady, though.

Bernie

I have to agree, the Shuttle controller is very comfy to hold, and looks neat to boot.

NecroPhile

Someday I'll get me a shuttlerang to caress/hold close/tea bag.  I want the shuttle too, dammit.

/collectard

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/05/2014, 05:25 PMSomeday I'll get me a shuttlerang to caress/hold close/tea bag.  I want the shuttle too, dammit.

/collectard
I wish I kept the Shuttle. I don't know what I was thinking.

SamIAm

For practical use, you have to love the Avenue 3 pad. Being able to map Select or Run to "Button 3" is so very nice when you're playing a game that uses it. I mean, I can't be the only one who has gone to press Select, then accidentally reset my game, can I?

esteban

Quote from: SamIAm on 12/05/2014, 08:46 PMFor practical use, you have to love the Avenue 3 pad. Being able to map Select or Run to "Button 3" is so very nice when you're playing a game that uses it. I mean, I can't be the only one who has gone to press Select, then accidentally reset my game, can I?
One of these days I'll resuscitate my silly dream of listing every single game that can "benefit" from 3-button pad...

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9188

THREE-BUTTON FRIENDLY GAME (TBFG) FAQ

Ha!

SuperGrafx

I really love the original white PCE controller.
It took everything I loved about the classic NES controller and made it more refined and comfortable to use.

cr8zykuban0

i gotta go with the avenue 6 controller as my favorite! also like the shuttle controller. looks like a batman controller

NightWolve

Didn't know about it, looks nice. Me, I just upgraded to the six button avenue pad for $40 BITD. Then I took the now unused turbo pad that came with my Turbo Duo and converted it to a joystick via the NES Advantage. Turned it into the "NEC Advantage." ;) Taking out the PCB from the pad, soldering it in properly to the joystick PCB and voila, it somehow worked out. My first mod in the 90's. Heh.

Lochlan

Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

InfraMan

Quote from: SamIAm on 12/05/2014, 08:46 PMFor practical use, you have to love the Avenue 3 pad. Being able to map Select or Run to "Button 3" is so very nice when you're playing a game that uses it. I mean, I can't be the only one who has gone to press Select, then accidentally reset my game, can I?
100% agree, once you upgrade to the 3-button pad, there's no going back. Never again will I be forced to clumsily mush the old Select or Run buttons like a common NES peasant! 8)

clackattack

[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

schweaty

Bernie

Sorry, but for me, the Ave 3 and 6 pads are terrible.  I hate they way they feel in my hands.  Now, the Shuttle controller?  That thing is very comfy.  I love it.  I wish I had never sold me shuttle now.. But, it went to a good guy, Sparky!

PunkCryborg

Quote from: guest on 12/06/2014, 09:27 AMLast night I used the Ave 3 for Valis 3 so that I could use the 3rd button to better pull off slides and expedite character changes.  I was shocked... I kept missing every slide and experienced frequent inadvertent character changes.  Had to go back to the 2 button pad. I guess my brain is now wired to use the run button for Valis 3. :/

Next time I find a new game that uses the run button as a 3rd button, i'm using the Ave 3 out of the gate so I don't end up brainfucked by getting used to pressing run on a 2-button pad. :lol:
Wow that's odd, i feel like that Valis III is one of the games that works best with the ave 3 pad. Maybe you should lay off the pizza while you are playing so the buttons wont be so slippery

esteban

greedostick

IMG

Ayce

I was thinking about getting one of the Hori pads. The problem I ran into was I already have the Avenue 6 so I haven't gotten around to getting it yet. I thought that it looks better for fighting games than the Ave6.

imparanoic

I have avenue 6 and standard pc engine pads, they are ok, functional, not great ergonomically, I also have snes/sfc hori fighting command ( pc engine version are usually pricey cos it's not common), it's much much better in d pad responsiveness and ergonomics, very very good

But hori has always been well known for the leading edge in controller design (I have over 10 hori controllers/joysticks, including ps3, ps2 wireless, ps2 wired with headphone extension, hori wii classic controller - great for wii emulators, ps1 fighting command, ps1 classic  non analog, 2 ps2 hori sticks and 2 ps3 wireless hori/wired joystick ) some of the hori controllers reach silly prices, ie, n64 hori mini and gc digital controller, which I think is more money than sence

spenoza

Quote from: greedostick on 12/07/2014, 12:00 AMI have this controller
Hori Fighting Commander 6 button controller. I love it. The D-Pad and buttons feel like SNES ones.
This is not the controller for me, then. I hate the SNES D-pad. I think almost every NEC controller has a better D-pad.

NecroPhile

I'm surprised nobody has professed their love for the RX pad..... said no one ever.

The d-pad is weird, but it's not all that bad; at least it's better than the acemore freedom stick.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/08/2014, 10:21 AMI'm surprised nobody has professed their love for the RX pad..... said no one ever.

The d-pad is weird, but it's not all that bad; at least it's better than the acemore freedom stick.
Ha!!

Everything is better than the Freedom Stick.

NecroPhile

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/08/2014, 12:04 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/08/2014, 11:39 AMEverything is better than the Freedom Stick.
Not the Quickshot Python.
That flimsy Python would have been perfect match for Falcon HuCARD.

SuperGrafx

Quote from: guest on 12/08/2014, 12:46 AM
Quote from: greedostick on 12/07/2014, 12:00 AMI have this controller
Hori Fighting Commander 6 button controller. I love it. The D-Pad and buttons feel like SNES ones.
This is not the controller for me, then. I hate the SNES D-pad. I think almost every NEC controller has a better D-pad.
Well said.

hoobs88

Quote from: Duo_R on 12/04/2014, 08:11 PMIMG
My favorite controller for the system, anyone else have another favorite?
IMG
The Bee-otch pad is my favorite!
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Duo_R

Haha yes....how could I forget about the Bee-otch pad!!! Lol.....I was just thinking the other day how it would be nice to have the volume function in the gamepad.

esadajr

The original Duo-R two button controller is still my favorite. Even though I have the Ave 6, sometimes I use the two button for SF2, that's how much I like it
Gaming since 1985

csgx1

Unfortunately I never had the pleasure to try a Shuttle pad even though I had a PCE Shuttle console.  The pad definitely looks cool and more comfortable than the standard 2 button pad.

The cordless pad is my favorite out of my controller selection.  Mainly because it's my newest pad that doesn't feel worn. 

I also have the Hori Fighting Commander and Ave 6 pad.  The Hori is a decent controller, but I only use it for fighting games. Like others have mentioned, the D-pad feels very similar to a SNES controller and I kind of prefer the NEC type d-pad, especially for shooters and non-fighters.

imparanoic

Quote from: csgx1 on 12/16/2014, 02:36 PMUnfortunately I never had the pleasure to try a Shuttle pad even though I had a PCE Shuttle console.  The pad definitely looks cool and more comfortable than the standard 2 button pad.

The cordless pad is my favorite out of my controller selection.  Mainly because it's my newest pad that doesn't feel worn. 

I also have the Hori Fighting Commander and Ave 6 pad.  The Hori is a decent controller, but I only use it for fighting games. Like others have mentioned, the D-pad feels very similar to a SNES controller and I kind of prefer the NEC type d-pad, especially for shooters and non-fighters. 
Most pads are rarely worn out ( ie, the rubber/electrical contact under d pad or buttons) unless it's been played consistently for the last 2 decades, but they do sometimes to have external sourced liquid regression which ruins the pad

I have reconditioned snes, pc engine, playstation 1, ps2 by dismantling and cleaning the individual components, pcb and rubber contacts so it feels like as if the controller was purchased a few years ago as opposed to a few decades ago.

I use isopropyl alcohol ( medical grade at 70% is fine for controllers, apart from metallic coloured hori pads) cotton buds and cotton facial pads.

VestCunt

I've been a die-hard NES Max fan for decades, so I'd love to get a Shuttle pad. Also want the Blaster and RX pads.

Hori > Ave6
Better d-pad (the Ave6 is mushy) and more turbos.
Topic Adjourned.

grache

Recently got the Hori Fighting Commander (CIB  8)). My plan is to get the Fighting Commander for both the SNES and Mega Drive.

Same controller for every console of that generation, that way no controller would feel strange in my hand.
TurboGrafx-16 HuCard Collection: 7.3% complete    7 / 96 titles