What happens when you put a Turbo CD into an Audio CD player?

Started by bob, 12/10/2014, 12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

Well, I decided to find out.  Did this simply for the love.
While juggling something I was monitoring for my job, and doing the work I do on DoxPhile, I decided to take every Turbo CD I have and put it in my stereo CD player.  This is what I got...

Addams Family: *Silence*  (1 track)
Beyond Shadowgate: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player.  Skip to track three and you start getting sound effects/music/cut scenes.  (36 tracks)
Bonk 3 CD: ???
Buster Bros: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.    Track 3 starts the music (24 tracks)
Camp California: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player. Skip to track three and you start getting sound effects/music/cut scenes.  (56 tracks)
Cosmic Fantasy 2: *Loud Siren*  WARNING!  DANGER!  This disc is intended only for use on the TurboGrafx CD system.  It contains computer data that can blow out your stereo system speakers.  Please!  Remove it immediately from your CD player.  Or kiss your tweeters good bye  *Shattered Glass*.  Skip to track 3 for music/cut scenes.  (98 tracks)
Cotton: ???
Dragon Slayer: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.    Track 3 starts the music/cut scenes (22 tracks)
Dungeon Explorer II: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.    Track 3 starts the music/cut scenes (34 tracks)
Dungeon Master: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.    Track 3 starts the music (19 tracks)
Dynastic Hero: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.    Track 3 starts the music (28 tracks)
Exile:  *Loud Siren*  WARNING!  DANGER!  This disc is intended only for use on the TurboGrafx CD system.  It contains computer data that can blow out your stereo system speakers.  Please!  Remove it immediately from your CD player.  Or kiss your tweeters good bye  *Shattered Glass*.  Skip to track 3 for music/cut scenes.  (38 tracks)
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon: *Loud Siren*  WARNING!  DANGER!  This disc is intended only for use on the TurboGrafx CD system.  It contains computer data that can blow out your stereo system speakers.  Please!  Remove it immediately from your CD player.  Or kiss your tweeters good bye  *Shattered Glass*.  Skip to track 3 for music/cut scenes.  (28 tracks)
Fighting Street: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player.  Skip to track three and you start getting music.  (26 tracks)
Final Zone II: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player. Skip to track three and you start getting music/cut scenes.  (55 tracks)
Forgotton Worlds: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.  Track 3 starts the music (25 tracks)
Gate of Thunder:  Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.  Skip to track 3 and it's a song I don't recognize from the game, then silence until track 8 where game music starts (23 tracks)
Godzilla: ???
It Came from the Desert: No Warning Track.  Music starts at track 2 (26 tracks)
J.B. Harold Murder Club: Something in Japanese that I don't understand.  Jump to track 3 and you get music and sound effects from the game.  (11 tracks)
Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player. Skip to track three and you start getting music.  (11 tracks)
John Madden: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.  Skip to track 4 for crowd noise, track 5 is the ambulance alarm, then other sound effects/game music (12 tracks)
Last Alert: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player. Skip to track three and you start getting music/cut scenes.  (60 tracks) < So awesome to hear the cut scenes without the context of the game.  Great laughs.
Loom: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.    Track 4 starts the musical patterns from the game (23 tracks)
Lords of the Rising Sun:  This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player. Skip to track three and you start getting music/cut scenes.  (42 tracks)
Lords of Thunder: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.    Track 3 starts the music (23 tracks)
Magical Dinosaur Tour: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player. Track three is the title music then track 4 is silent (4 tracks)
Might and Magic III: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.  Track 3 starts the music (16 tracks)
Monster Lair: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player.   Skip to track three and you start getting music/sound effects.  (16 tracks)
Prince of Persia: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.    Track 3 starts the music (19 tracks)
Riot Zone: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.  Track 3 starts the music (24 tracks)
Shadow of the Beast: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.    Track 3 starts the music (10 tracks)
Sherlock Holmes:  *Silence*  (1 track)
Sherlock Holmes 2: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player. *Silence*  (2 tracks)
SimEarth: Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.  Track 3 starts the music/cut scenes (35 tracks)
Splash Lake:???
Super Air Zonk: ???
Terraforming: ???
Valis II: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player.  Skip to track three and you start getting sound effects/music/cut scenes.  (55 tracks)
Valis III:  Something in Japanese that I don't understand.  Jump to track 3 and you get music and cut scenes from the game.  (63 tracks)
Vasteel: *Loud Siren*  WARNING!  DANGER!  This disc is intended only for use on the TurboGrafx CD system.  It contains computer data that can blow out your stereo system speakers.  Please!  Remove it immediately from your CD player.  Or kiss your tweeters good bye  *Shattered Glass*.  Skip to track 3 for music.  (32 tracks)
Ys Book 1 &2 (Duo version): This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player.  Skip to track three and you start getting sound effects/music/cut scenes.  (43 tracks)
Ys Book 1 &2 (TG version): This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player.  Skip to track three and you start getting sound effects/music/cut scenes.  (43 tracks)
Ys III: This disc is for use in the TurboGrafx 16 CD ROM system only.  This disc contains computer data and is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player.   Skip to track 3 and you get the cut scenes and game music (25 tracks)

jtucci31

I need to start taking my copy of Ys and Gate of Thunder with me whenever I drive. I'm sick of the burned cds i have in my car.

Quote from: galamGate of Thunder:  Warning, this CD ROM disc contains computer data that may damage your audio system.  Please stop playing this disc immediately.  Please press the stop button now.  This disc is for use with the CD ROM system.  This disc contains computer data that is not for audio use.  Please press stop on your disc player immediately *long beep*.  Skip to track 3 and it's a song I don't recognize from the game then silence until track 8 where game music starts (23 tracks)
I'm interested to hear this track. Maybe you just don't obey enough. :lol:

ccovell

If I remember, that song is from Sim Earth (for SOME reason...)

mitsuman

I remember doing this when I had all my cd games years ago. I used to listen to a lot of them just for the music.

LostFlunky

Quote from: ccovell on 12/10/2014, 04:28 AMIf I remember, that song is from Sim Earth (for SOME reason...)
I remember that - very strange.  I haven't heard it for years, but I have it stuck in my head now...

Weirder considering the release dates of the two games are at least a year apart...

EDIT - this is in reference to the "mystery song" on G.O.T. 4in1

clackattack

Well, when I put MY copy of It Came From The Dessert in my cd player, it caught on fire and scorched my pube hairs off!! Im currently engaged in a legal battle with Cinemaware due to the fact that no warning track was put on the disc to warn potential "listeners" about the imminent dangers of attempting to play to your favorite game tracks via throwing that badboy in your WalkmanCD. I mean, C'mon! Its a CD, right?!
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

mitsuman

If I remember correctly, this part is done in some weird, high pitched, cartoon type voice.

QuoteWARNING!  DANGER!  This disc is intended only for use on the TurboGrafx CD system.  It contains computer data that can blow out your stereo system speakers.  Please!  Remove it immediately from your CD player.  Or kiss your tweeters good bye  *Shattered Glass*.
And if you let it play the "computer data", it is a bunch of loud scratchy bleeps blops and boops.

NecroPhile

Try some PCE games, galam.  They sometimes have something game specific (and humorous) rather than generic warnings.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 12/10/2014, 11:23 AMTry some PCE games, galam.  They sometimes have something game specific (and humorous) rather than generic warnings.
Quote from:  "PCE game"このディスクは、PcEngine CD ROMのシステムにおいて使用するためのものである。このディスクは、コンピュータデータを含んでおり、オーディオ用ではありません。あなたのディスクプレーヤーの[停止]を押すか、うんちのうんちを行いますしてください!
Quote from:  "me"Poo poo?

clackattack

Quote from: guest on 12/10/2014, 11:08 AMPics or it didn't happen.
Well, you see, the pics I have are with my attorney in his office. You know, you gotta have that concrete evidence when you go into the court room to win a case. Now, I was actually in a speed-walking competition when it happened so Cinemaware's side of the case is that my thighs rubbing together is what actually caused my walkman to combust into flames, NOT thier TGCD masterpiece's soundtrack... But with my toned, girlish figure, my thighs dont even touch one another! Hey, not like I speedwalk er'yday for nothing... dude gotta keep his shape

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ClodBusted

Quote from: galam on 12/10/2014, 12:56 AMCosmic Fantasy 2: *Loud Siren*  WARNING!  DANGER!  This disc is intended only for use on the TurboGrafx CD system.  It contains computer data that can blow out your stereo system speakers.  Please!  Remove it immediately from your CD player.  Or kiss your tweeters good bye  *Shattered Glass*.  Skip to track 3 for music/cut scenes.  (98 tracks)
Must be Manowar.

OFFICIAL Manowar -Blow Your Speakers

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/10/2014, 02:19 PMWhat about the only trilingual game?
Hahahahahshashs. I forgot about that one.

Also, that reminds me:

Galam, check out the warning track for Hyper NovaBlast (you'll be typing a lot). I still need to check out MindRec's other releases.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 12/10/2014, 02:19 PMWhat about the only trilingual game?
No, Ultra Box also has narrators speaking in Japanese, French, and Portuguese.  ;-)

bob

If anybody can contribute the games I'm missing, that would be very nice of you.

NightWolve

HailingTheThings

IMG

bob

Quote from: guest on 12/11/2014, 10:09 PMI have a few, but don't like you enough to bother with it.
Ok, you are on the hook for splash lake and godzilla.

esteban

HailingTheThings

IMG

esteban

I love every song for HyperNova Blast.

Let's see if galam will take the 1-2 hours required to transcribe the "warning track"!!

Artemio

In Snatcher, you can listen to Gillian and Metal Gear:

Metal: Gillian, Gillian...
Gillian: What is it now, Metal? I was just about to listen to a little music.
Metal: Must I explain everything? That disc is an HE System CD-ROM.
Gillian: Yeah...and?
Metal: Track 2 is comprised of computer data. You mustn't play it on an ordinary audio system, understood?
Gillian: Ooooh, okay, okay.
Metal: Oh brother... Don't tell me your amnesia is that bad.
Gillian: Haha, no, no, I was only kidding, haha.
Metal: Then hurry up and press Stop. I won't tell the chief.
Gillian: You really can be an annoying little tin can sometimes, you know that?
Metal: Really? Well, as it so happens, my personality is based on you, Gillian.
Gillian: What's that supposed to mean?
Metal: Track 2 will be starting any moment. Press Stop now, Gillian!

esteban

Quote from: aurbina on 12/13/2014, 01:16 PMIn Snatcher, you can listen to Gillian and Metal Gear:

Metal: Gillian, Gillian...
Gillian: What is it now, Metal? I was just about to listen to a little music.
Metal: Must I explain everything? That disc is an HE System CD-ROM.
Gillian: Yeah...and?
Metal: Track 2 is comprised of computer data. You mustn't play it on an ordinary audio system, understood?
Gillian: Ooooh, okay, okay.
Metal: Oh brother... Don't tell me your amnesia is that bad.
Gillian: Haha, no, no, I was only kidding, haha.
Metal: Then hurry up and press Stop. I won't tell the chief.
Gillian: You really can be an annoying little tin can sometimes, you know that?
Metal: Really? Well, as it so happens, my personality is based on you, Gillian.
Gillian: What's that supposed to mean?
Metal: Track 2 will be starting any moment. Press Stop now, Gillian!
That is awesome.

Thanks for sharing. :)

clackattack

I always got a kick out of the little errors scenes and messages when you try to run a SuperCD/ArcadeCD without the right system card. Ill toss of few of my odd-balls in my electronic compactdisc player once i get off work to help out Estè

Artemio

I also love booting up the scd games with lower system cards. I've taken a few pictures of some I have,  and haven't found an archive of them.

esteban

Quote from: aurbina on 12/13/2014, 04:15 PMI also love booting up the scd games with lower system cards. I've taken a few pictures of some I have,  and haven't found an archive of them.
There have been at least 2-3 partial archives over the years. I am sure I am forgetting someone from TurboList...

Does pcecp.com have some? (Gotta be logged in?)

Anyway...

Darkman (DarkCityProductions) had a decent amount back in the day...but he stopped updating.

Then, later, CrackTiger's site took it to the next level...he had (probably) the most that had been collected in one place. I hope he still has all the screenshots!

If he is too busy to put his page back up, I would certainly throw his screenshots together on page so we have a reference.

ClodBusted

Quote from: esteban on 12/12/2014, 08:02 PMI had trouble unzipping this, tell me if it works for you:

https://www.tg-16.com/mp2/HyperNova_Blast.zip
Try unzipping these:
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 12/14/2014, 11:22 AMThen, later, CrackTiger's site took it to the next level...he had (probably) the most that had been collected in one place. I hope he still has all the screenshots!

If he is too busy to put his page back up, I would certainly throw his screenshots together on page so we have a reference.
syscard warning warehouse
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ClodBusted

You're welcome, Nulltard. Bonus points to those who can name the person these boobs belong to.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/15/2014, 09:44 AMI like your style, clod.

Esteban- you remind me of another user we had one time a while back who couldn't work with zip files.  You're the reason we still don't have Neutopia 100% Complete Espanol, aren't you?
I can unzip the 139.3 MB .zip file on my phone, but then the utility app crashes as soon as I try to play a song from HyperNova Blast.

I just wanted to see if other folks had any problems.

:)

esteban

ClodBusted

Quote from: guest on 12/15/2014, 10:19 AMYou're welcome, Nulltard. Bonus points to those who can name the person these boobs belong to.
No clues?
Pro-tip: They're not Bernie's.

Nec.Game.head

I've been rocking out to Lords Of Thunder from an ISO I burned. Lol Wasn't willing to use my original while cruising about in my car !! Next for me is Rondo Of Blood.
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 12/15/2014, 10:17 AMOh Babbette... of course i'll smell your finger.

IMG
Oh, that's from the last Cosmic Fantasy 4... I was like, I don't remember her flipping you the bird, WTF ?

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/system_card_warning_warehouse.html

Didn't know about this, pretty cool collection.

the haze

Quote from: esteban on 12/14/2014, 11:22 AM
Quote from: aurbina on 12/13/2014, 04:15 PMI also love booting up the scd games with lower system cards. I've taken a few pictures of some I have,  and haven't found an archive of them.
There have been at least 2-3 partial archives over the years. I am sure I am forgetting someone from TurboList...

Does pcecp.com have some? (Gotta be logged in?)

Anyway...

Darkman (DarkCityProductions) had a decent amount back in the day...but he stopped updating.

Then, later, CrackTiger's site took it to the next level...he had (probably) the most that had been collected in one place. I hope he still has all the screenshots!

I did vanish without a trace didn't I?  :mrgreen:
would love to pick up the pieces and add to the archive..  I used to make all the captures myself, now I would have to just snag them from other pages...

This is way better than mine ever was.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/system_card_warning_warehouse.html

esteban

OK, I see what is happening now.

I was shoveling snow all day and I am reading posts in reverse-chronological order. This is hilarious.

:)

Yes, CrackTiger was a beast and was working on documenting a bunch of neat stuff...but then he shifted towards doing more "creative" things (homebrew PCE) and had less time for simply "documenting" PCE games. 

We need to clone him.

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 12/16/2014, 05:18 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/15/2014, 10:19 AMYou're welcome, Nulltard. Bonus points to those who can name the person these boobs belong to.
No clues?
Pro-tip: They're not Bernie's.
Bailey Jay?
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)