RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

(12/19/2014 - 12/25/2014) Game of the Week: Keith Courage

Started by SamIAm, 12/18/2014, 12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamIAm

---------------------------------------------------
December 19 - December 25: Keith Courage
IMG
(chosen by seieienbu)

The infamous pack-in. Keith Courage is probably the single most widely played Hucard in America. It's impossible to divorce it from the system's identity. Was it a blessing? Or a curse?

Well, whatever it was, a lot of you must have some memories of it. Let us know what you think...and of course, give the game another spin. That's what this GOTW thing is all about, after all.

If only the Supergrafx were more popular, I would love to submit Madou Granzort, the pseudo-sequel to Keith Courage. If you liked the action-heavy bits in KC, I recommend checking it out.

(By the way, this week started a bit early because I will be super busy tomorrow).

GOTW Schedule:
1. 9/10/2014 - 9/16/2014: Bonk's Revenge (johnnykonami)
3. 9/25/2014 - 10/1/2014: Gekisha Boy (owlnonymous)
4. 10/2/2014 - 10/8/2014: Parasol Stars (mitsuman)
5. 10/9/2014 - 10/15/2014: Bomberman '93 (JoshTurboTrollX-16)
6. 10/16/2014 - 10/22/2014: Monster Lair (neutopia6)
7. 10/23/2014 - 10/29/2014: Salamander (lukester)
8. 11/6/2014 - 11/12/2014: Shapeshifter (Mishran)
9. 11/13/2014 - 11/19/2014: Download (cabbage)
13. 12/12/2014 -12/18/2014: Yo Bro (wildfruit)
14. 12/19/2014 - 12/25/2014: Keith Courage (seieienbu)
16. 1/2/2015 - 1/7/2015: Genpei Toumaden (lukester)

Previous Games:
January 15-21: Battle Royale (TheClash603)
January 22-28: Drop Off/Drop Rock (esteban)
January 29-February 4: Bonk's Adventure (roflmao)
February 5-11: Silent Debuggers (vestcunt)
February 12-18: Somer Assault (BigusSchmuck)
February 19-25: Splatterhouse (FiftyQuid)
February 26-March 4: Bloody Wolf (Jibbajaba)
March 5-11: The Lost Sunheart (Gogan)
March 12-18: Sapphire (BlueBMW)
March 19-25: Energy (PunkCryborg)
March 26-April 1: Air Zonk (JoshTurboTrollX-16)
April 9-15: 1943 Kai (lukester)
April 16-22: Lords of Thunder (munchiaz)
April 23-29: Ninja Spirit (csgx1)
April 30 - May 6: Bomberman (SamIAm)
May 22 - May 28: JJ and Jeff (geise)
May 29 - June 4: The Legendary Axe (Damon Plus)
June 5 - June 11: The Legendary Axe 2 (galam)
June 12 - June 18: Aero Blasters (Phase)
June 19 - June 25: Star Parodier (Inframan)
June 26 - July 2: Alien Crush (synbiosfan)
July 3 - July 9: Shockman (toktogul)
July 10 - July 16: Cadash (Bardoly)
July 17 - July 23: Dungeon Explorer (Gentlegamer)
July 31 - August 6: Blazing Lazers (tpivette)
August 7 - August 13: Fantasy Zone (jtucci31)

Rules:
-All members are allowed one submission. When there are no further submissions, we will have a reset and everyone will be able to submit another game.
-Each game may only be submitted once.
-If you wish to retract your submission, please do so at least two weeks before your game is due. Your next submission will go to the back of the cue.
-Please don't submit games that have a high language barrier or will take too long to complete (particularly RPGs).
-Please don't submit games that are too expensive. Below $50 is best. Above $100 won't work.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ccovell

NecroPhile

I like Keith.... and Nurse Nancy.  It's a pretty decent platformer for its day, but I wish the underworld areas had some variety.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

mitsuman

I like playing it. My girls like playing it. I like the sound effects. I like the colors. The movement is good.

It is the epitome of a "basic" video game. You can easily turn it on, play it for 30 minutes, then walk away from it. I do not feel compelled to finish it when I start playing; but I have fun while playing.

fsa

Its been a long time since I played me some Keith, I might plug it in over the holidays. I might check out this supposed sequel to it also (Madou Granzort).

Overall a decent game to pass time as the over world tends to get long as the game progress.
Looking for TG16 games I don't have already.

esteban

Quote from: fsa on 12/18/2014, 11:16 AMIts been a long time since I played me some Keith, I might plug it in over the holidays. I might check out this supposed sequel to it also (Madou Granzort).

Overall a decent game to pass time as the over world tends to get long as the game progress.
Granzort, sadly, isn't as awesome as I thought it would be. It is OK-good, but it should have been FANTASTIC.

Back to Keith:

It had the guts of a great platformer/slasher (underworld), but the sheer monotony/lack of variety reduces it to @blah".

I honestly believe that the game engine is fine...it feels good to slash the sword (bombs could have been given more thought/relevance, though).

The overworld is even worse than the underworld when it comes to boring stage design/monotony...I was so bored with overworld.

Overworld could have really been engaging, but it would have required more work to get it to be "great", whereas the underworld is very close to being "great".

Keith Courage demonstrates how vital (1) creative stage design and (2) a variety of obstacles/enemies can be...

Gentlegamer

I'll take this opportunity to spend some quality time with Keith Courage this weekend. I've never played it for more than a few minutes. My take away has been that it's a prettier version of a really mediocre NES action platformer. We'll see if this view is modified.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

johnnykonami

This is the game from the original TV commercials that sold me on the TG-16.  I still love it to this day, but the only thing that sucks about it to me is the grinding for the better swords in the overworld.  I remember that seemed to take forever.

csgx1

I had some good memories with friends and lots of nostalgia for Keith Courage since it was the only game I owned/played when I first got my Turbografx new.  It was something like a year or so after I bought the system was when I was able to get a second game.   

Relentless respawning enemies and blind jumps into spikes were some of the annoyances I remember.  I'll have to do a play-through soon.

Damon Plus

Mixed feelings for this one. I really like the overworld stages, slow as they are. Not a big fan of the underworld, too many spikes and blind jumps. As a whole, I find it a very charming game for what it is, and I replay a couple of levels often.

As a pack-in is an absolute horrible choice, though.

Paddyfitz18

I'm a fan.  Notwithstanding some of the problems that were mentioned already (blind jumps, grinding to get the proper sword, etc.).

Just a note: if you haven't checked it out, which I doubt anyone on here hasn't by now, there is good little discussion of Keith Courage as part of the HuCast Podcast which was done live from MGC this (almost last) year.  Including the problem with the monotony of the level design.

But that part at the end of each overworld where Keith goes into the underworld and embarks in the Nova Suit, I love that shit.  Always will.

I think the bosses are pretty good too.

It gets criticized for being a sub-par pack-in, and that is true.  But in those days and even  now, I tend to think in terms of the entire library or potential or generally how much I think I will like the system itself.  The fact that Keith Courage came with the Turbografx-16 did not affect my decision to buy or not buy.  I remember thinking of pack-ins as sort of freeware/"throwaway" games, so if they were good at all, that was a plus.  I guess you could say I had low expectations starting out.   But that's just my opinion and my recollection of how I thought about pack-ins.

I wish I could think of a better analogy than this right here on the spot, but I can't: 

If there is an awesome new car you want to buy, you aren't going to be discouraged from buying it just because you don't like the floormats that come with the car, right?

(or vice versa, really, really awesome floormats aren't going to entice you to buy a particular car over another).

seieienbu

Just got through the first 3 levels then died to the boss in Toxic Zone.  Keith Courage is exactly as I remember it; bright and happy overworld with weird cat, frog, and cloud enemies harassing our hero and then you get to the sweet, sweet Nova Suit.  Suddenly the enemies pace becomes frantic and often I can't react to things.  I haven't played it in so long I definitely don't have the paths memorized so I went slow to avoid accidentally murdering myself.  I had a good deal of fun playing it.  Yeah, I had to kill a dozen or so cats to get a Laser Sword but as the game isn't much grindier than that I think I can part with the minute that it took to grind the gold.

I never exactly understood the hatred I'd read about this game online; no it's not exactly Super Mario World but I never found it to be any worse than, say, Altered Beasts.  It's an alright game where stuff like spikes or the rapid homing enemies are a little annoying from time to time but it's hardly a broken/unplayable game.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

It feels good to jump and slash in the underworld. The SFX of the Nova Suit are kool, IMHO.

I don't think it is a bad game. But, DAMN, it could have been a masterpiece.

I don't hate Keith Courage.

I can taste the wasted potential it possessed, though.

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 12/20/2014, 01:31 PMI can taste the wasted potential it possessed, though.
Agreed.  It needed 40% more cow bell.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2014, 11:37 AM
Quote from: esteban on 12/20/2014, 01:31 PMI can taste the wasted potential it possessed, though.
Agreed.  It needed 40% more cow bell.
At least 40%. :)

jtucci31

Quote from: seieienbu on 12/20/2014, 05:31 AMJust got through the first 3 levels then died to the boss in Toxic Zone.
I can get through the game relatively easily, with maybe a cheap death on the red spikes here or there, but I can't figure out the stage 4 boss. I've had full health but I get hit by him no matter what. Even when i use the projectiles, i still can't beat him. I try to duck underneath him but even then, when i try to attack I get hit. It's sad that I can't beat Keith Courage yet. I need some more practice with that boss.

The game itself I do find enjoyable. The nova suit levels are really fun since your character controls so well. There may be an onslaught of enemies at times, but if there wasn't it would be just as boring as the overworld parts of the game.

I've started playing the game multiple times and got bored with it before. But these past few times around, I'm enjoying it a lot more because i stuck through it and kept playing. I don't want to say i forced myself to get through it and find enjoyable parts, so i won't. I like it. I hope i can beat the fourth stage boss because if i can't beat Keith Courage, i need to seriously get better at obeying.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/23/2014, 01:56 PM
Quote from: seieienbu on 12/20/2014, 05:31 AMJust got through the first 3 levels then died to the boss in Toxic Zone.
I can get through the game relatively easily, with maybe a cheap death on the red spikes here or there, but I can't figure out the stage 4 boss. I've had full health but I get hit by him no matter what. Even when i use the projectiles, i still can't beat him. I try to duck underneath him but even then, when i try to attack I get hit. It's sad that I can't beat Keith Courage yet. I need some more practice with that boss.

The game itself I do find enjoyable. The nova suit levels are really fun since your character controls so well. There may be an onslaught of enemies at times, but if there wasn't it would be just as boring as the overworld parts of the game.

I've started playing the game multiple times and got bored with it before. But these past few times around, I'm enjoying it a lot more because i stuck through it and kept playing. I don't want to say i forced myself to get through it and find enjoyable parts, so i won't. I like it. I hope i can beat the fourth stage boss because if i can't beat Keith Courage, i need to seriously get better at obeying.
Describe the fourth boss...I might remember how to beat him.

Also, I think there is a cheap way to beat him....as you fall to the boss arena, push all the way to right, swinging and jumping as soon as you land (to trap the boss).

jtucci31

Quote from: esteban on 12/23/2014, 04:44 PM

Also, I think there is a cheap way to beat him....as you fall to the boss arena, push all the way to right, swinging and jumping as soon as you land (to trap the boss).
He shoots one projectile and then swoops down and every time he hits you you loose a heart. You can duck under him, like I said, but I still have a hard time attacking him without getting hit.

But so, by doing this move to the right and swing thing, the boss will just sit there and not move?

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/23/2014, 04:51 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/23/2014, 04:44 PM

He shoots one projectile and then swoops down and every time he hits you you loose a heart. You can duck under him, like I said, but I still have a hard time attacking him without getting hit.

But so, by doing this move to the right and swing thing, the boss will just sit there and not move?
Yup, you cheat by trapping the boss (the boss "pauses" and can't move when it gets hit, so if you keep hitting him, you pin him to the right corner.