Keith Courage cheat hacks

Started by ccovell, 12/23/2014, 07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccovell

Hi, folks.  I played around with the Keith Courage ROM and figured out where various game parameters were stored.  Here are a few ROM hacks you can do:

$1B08: $80 -> $00..... Spikes don't kill you
$4925: $10 -> $38..... Super jump in Nova-Suit
$2FC0: $12 -> $40..... Super jump as Keith
$2EBEC: $03 -> $00.... Auto-start debug mode

These are ROM (not RAM) hacks and will only work with a headerless USA ROM (for now).  Use a hex editor to make the changes.

NecroPhile

Heh, you dirty cheater.  How 'bout a free monies cheat?  Besides blind jumps into spikes, cat killing grinding is the most annoying part of the game (and it's not all that bad anyway).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 12/24/2014, 09:22 AMHeh, you dirty cheater.  How 'bout a free monies cheat?
... debug mode

NecroPhile

Quote from: ccovell on 12/24/2014, 11:11 AM... debug mode
Ah, nice.  I guess I'll have to check that out some time soon.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ccovell

All these years, and you never heard about the debug mode for the Turbo's pack-in game?!!??

You don't need to hack the game; it's there already:
Restart the system or perform a software reset (Run+Select) and immediately:

Hold Button I+Button II+Run+Select (in that order), then press up on the D-Pad 8 times

Anthony1

So, I've been really trying to beat this game lately, and man, this game isn't that easy.

The first 4 levels are super easy, but when you get to the underworld part of the 5th level, the difficulty jumps way the hell up. It can be quite frustrating. For the longest time, I was playing for about a half hour to get to the 2nd half of level 5, but I've lately been using the debug menu and just skipping to level 5.

The only problem is, I still have to grind for money to be able to afford the Jewel Sword (2400 gold), and when I get to the underworld, I need to grind for hearts. I could give myself more hearts and money in the debug menu I guess, but there is a limit to how much I'll "cheat", lol.

I normally hate using continues, which makes this game especially difficult when you only get 1 life. Sure, the first 4 levels are super easy, so the game seems easy at first blush, but man, things start to get harsh late in the game.

esteban

Quote from: Anthony1 on 02/06/2015, 02:54 PMSo, I've been really trying to beat this game lately, and man, this game isn't that easy.

The first 4 levels are super easy, but when you get to the underworld part of the 5th level, the difficulty jumps way the hell up. It can be quite frustrating. For the longest time, I was playing for about a half hour to get to the 2nd half of level 5, but I've lately been using the debug menu and just skipping to level 5.

The only problem is, I still have to grind for money to be able to afford the Jewel Sword (2400 gold), and when I get to the underworld, I need to grind for hearts. I could give myself more hearts and money in the debug menu I guess, but there is a limit to how much I'll "cheat", lol.

I normally hate using continues, which makes this game especially difficult when you only get 1 life. Sure, the first 4 levels are super easy, so the game seems easy at first blush, but man, things start to get harsh late in the game.
It doesn't get easier in the underworld...lots of platforming acrobatics.

Still, I never considered this game too challenging, but I have my own problems (I probably played Keith Courage a billion times).

There is a cheat for many of the bosses, where you trap them off screen, maniacally swinging your sword and jumping to "freeze" them as you inflict repeated damage.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG