10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

SuperGrafx and TurboGrafx CD unit.

Started by elmer, 02/03/2015, 07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmer

SuperGrafx owners already know that the SuperGrafx won't physically fit in the standard-at-the-time Japanese IFU-30 CD briefcase, and required the ugly RAU-30 interface cable in order to use the PC Engine CD.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it just occurred to me that the SuperGrafx came out at approximately the same time that the TurboGrafx came out in the US, and that the TurboGrafx's rear-end looks a lot like the SuperGrafx's rear-end ... and that's got me wondering.

Does a SuperGrafx fit into the US TurboGrafx's CD unit? Has anyone ever tried this?

imparanoic

the aesthetic appeal of a super grafx with the brief case old cd rom is not exactly appealing

romada2.jpg
http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~tetuya/FXHP/pcengine/hard/romada2.jpg
IMG

However,  super grafx directly into a super cd rom is not bad, though it takes a lot of room ( depth wise) , best ( imo) is super grafx with rau-30 into a super cd rom so you can place it lengthwise, seems unnecessary, but it seems a stunner

elmer

Quote from: imparanoic on 02/03/2015, 09:49 PMHowever,  super grafx directly into a super cd rom is not bad, though it takes a lot of room ( depth wise) , best ( imo) is super grafx with rau-30 into a super cd rom so you can place it lengthwise, seems unnecessary, but it seems a stunner
Hmmm ... I hadn't thought of using both the RAU-30 and the SuperCDROM ... I'll have to try it to see if I agree with you.

I imagine that the SuperGrafx/TurboGrafxCD combo could look quite good ... if only it fitted.

csgx1

Interesting combo idea; you got me curious...

Just tried test fitting and it won't work without serious modifications.  Height of the SGX expansion port is about a 1/2 inch higher than the Turbografx port making the insertion angle off. Maybe taking off the bottom of the SGX case might work. 

If you somehow get the SGX to insert straight, you still would need to modify the port opening to fit.

Modding the RAU-30 to fit the Turbografx CD might be easier. That would be one funky looking system though.

IMG
IMG
IMG

elmer

Thank you so much for trying that and posting such great pictures!  :)

I've got to say ... that if it had actually fit, then IMHO, it would have been quite a nice combo, and an interesting alternative to the SuperCDROM.

Dicer

I gotta say if you took the front of the CD unit off, then it look like it should fit, you'd just have to make rubber footies for the SGX

SamIAm

Hey, speak of the devil, a shop near me just put an RAU-30 up for sale for about 3000 yen. Should I get it?

I do have a Supergrafx, although I also have a Duo and I really don't need to "simplify" my setup at all.

Maybe if someone here wants it, we could set up a deal.

elmer

Quote from: SamIAm on 02/04/2015, 12:16 AMMaybe if someone here wants it, we could set up a deal.
Thank you for the offer ... I hope that someone here will take you up on it.

As for me ... my priority (low as it is) is to find a PC-FX GA DOS/V. If you ever see one of those, then I'd love to know!

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: csgx1 on 02/03/2015, 10:56 PMIMG
that actually look pretty cool,  somewhat futuristic. sucks there wasnt much games for it

imparanoic

http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?148269-Turbo-CD-Does-it-work-with-PCE-or-Supergrafx

seems like the t16 and pc engine expansion connector is physically different, pins are the same though

imparanoic

with the supergrafx, rau30 and super cdrom, this set up will look like one awesome beast, yet it will take up more room than this ultimate pc engine set up

seieienbu

Out of curiosity, does a TG16 fit in a Super CDROM^2?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Bloufo

If I had to take a pic of the two connected you'd be looking at it and telling me that it fits.
But no. The TG16 goes in almost all the way but you can't force the pins in.
With some modification though maybe it could work.

csgx1

A Turbografx with a Super CDrom will work with modification to the expansion port connector.  I believe someone here did it years ago, but I can't remember who.

xcrement5x

Quote from: csgx1 on 02/03/2015, 10:56 PMIMG
IMG
IMG
Congratulations!  I bet they will make a beautiful child, please post pictures in 9 months!
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Bloufo

clackattack

Quote from: csgx1 on 02/03/2015, 10:56 PMInteresting combo idea; you got me curious...

Just tried test fitting and it won't work without serious modifications.  Height of the SGX expansion port is about a 1/2 inch higher than the Turbografx port making the insertion angle off. Maybe taking off the bottom of the SGX case might work. 

If you somehow get the SGX to insert straight, you still would need to modify the port opening to fit.

Modding the RAU-30 to fit the Turbografx CD might be easier. That would be one funky looking system though.

IMG
IMG
IMG
Not quite sure about swapping cards will be got em' together. Doesnt appear to be enough clearance to get them in and out
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

Keith Courage

I've done the reverse before and cut down the front on a Gray Super CD-rom drive in order to fit a US Turbo Grafx. From what I remember you have to cut/file down some of the plastic on the super CD rom drive. Also file off tabs on the connector. Worked nicely.