@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Retrogaming on NPR

Started by technozombie, 02/07/2015, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

technozombie

xcrement5x

Quote from: technozombie on 02/07/2015, 09:47 PMNPR did a piece on the surge in retro-gaming.

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=381973030&m=383860588
I had only heard part of this, so thanks for the link. 
The piece even starts out at SavePointVG, they are pretty decent folks too.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

technozombie

It kind of says something about the state of your hobby when the media starts doing stuff like this. I think the parts about some people buying old games because they are less violent and some people wanting to check out the roots of modern franchises is pretty accurate. Probably the only thing they left out is the one that applies to me and probably many others is the pick up and play nature of old games. I just can't stand to spend 20+ minutes doing a tutorial before I can actually play the game.

LostFlunky

Quote from: technozombie on 02/08/2015, 04:35 PMIt kind of says something about the state of your hobby when the media starts doing stuff like this. I think the parts about some people buying old games because they are less violent and some people wanting to check out the roots of modern franchises is pretty accurate. Probably the only thing they left out is the one that applies to me and probably many others is the pick up and play nature of old games. I just can't stand to spend 20+ minutes doing a tutorial before I can actually play the game.
Just had this conversation with a co-worker on Friday.  As I've gotten older i have less and less patience for the tutorials in games.  It's pretty bad that a game like "Spelunky" with its old school roots has to have an unskippable tutorial.

PunkCryborg

is there another link? this one isnt loading from my phone

technozombie

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 02/08/2015, 06:42 PMis there another link? this one isnt loading from my phone
Here is a link to a text version of the story, it also has the link to the audio.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2015/02/04/381973030/businesses-offer-a-link-to-the-past-for-lovers-of-old-video-games

Medic_wheat

Thanks!

Love NPR stuff and this is clearly up my ally.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: technozombie on 02/08/2015, 07:10 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 02/08/2015, 06:42 PMis there another link? this one isnt loading from my phone
Here is a link to a text version of the story, it also has the link to the audio.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2015/02/04/381973030/businesses-offer-a-link-to-the-past-for-lovers-of-old-video-games
Thanks for this! I really can't stand radio stuff unless I'm in a car. Reading is so much more pleasant.

esteban

I still need to listen to this.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Medic_wheat

It was fun but I honestly wish it was longer then a 5 minute story.

majors

Quote from: guest on 02/07/2015, 11:04 PMThe piece even starts out at SavePointVG, they are pretty decent folks too.
I live in NC and have never been to Save Point(not to be confused with THE Save Point in MD). I will rectify that this evening when I head down to troubleshoot a Blast City monitor issue.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

NecroPhile

I don't get the peeps that say they want the old games because new stuff is too violent and graphic.  New stuff is more detailed and higher resolution, but can anyone really argue that stuff like Doom, Splatterhouse, or Mortal Kombat were G rated fun for everyone?  Such games have always been a part of gaming; similarly, 'clean' games like Mario or Kirby are still available today.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

technozombie

Quote from: guest on 02/18/2015, 11:02 AMI don't get the peeps that say they want the old games because new stuff is too violent and graphic.  New stuff is more detailed and higher resolution, but can anyone really argue that stuff like Doom, Splatterhouse, or Mortal Kombat were G rated fun for everyone?  Such games have always been a part of gaming; similarly, 'clean' games like Mario or Kirby are still available today.
Well people tend to remember things through "rose colored glasses."  An example would be the Goonies movie. I think every kid of that era watched that movie. So awhile back my wife and I were watching it with our kids and we're like whoa where did all this bad language and sexual innuendo come from lol.

Medic_wheat