Started by Enternal, 03/02/2015, 12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enternal

I picked a few systems for 130 at a Flea Market

Goldstar 3DO
Sega Power Base Converter
SNES Model 2
Turbografx

among them, the TG16 was the system I wanted to work the most. It powers on and plays games just fine, but all controller functions are mapped to the D Pad. Pressing L on the pad will start the game, and pressing up right will activate the I or II buttons.

I borrowed another controller from a friend and the issues remain.

I have basic soldering skills and would like to restore the system.  Does anyone have any advice, or things to test?

DeshDildo

Quote from: Enternal on 03/02/2015, 12:07 PMI picked a few systems for 130 at a Flea Market

Goldstar 3DO
Sega Power Base Converter
SNES Model 2
Turbografx

among them, the TG16 was the system I wanted to work the most. It powers on and plays games just fine, but all controller functions are mapped to the D Pad. Pressing L on the pad will start the game, and pressing up right will activate the I or II buttons.

I borrowed another controller from a friend and the issues remain.

I have basic soldering skills and would like to restore the system.  Does anyone have any advice, or things to test?
Check the controller port for bent pins.  Also, check the controller port solder joints to the board etc.  Make sure to clean any debris away from Hu6280 and the controller port connections.

http://console5.com/wiki/Hu6280
This is the Hu6280 pinout.  You'll be concentrating on the controller inputs which are pin 22 and pins 24-30.  Ohlm out each pin to each other and see if one or more are shorted together.

Let me know how all of that checks out and if all is well you may need a logic probe to diagnose further.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

pulstar

I've had two controller ports that had cold solder joints. I would check them over and reflow them if necessary.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Enternal

I appreciate the quick response, and apologize for my slow response. I have the unit apart and I don't see any broken solder points under the controller port. Its difficult for me to see the pins inside the port, I don't see anything bent but it might be and I just can't see it.

For reflowing is it ok if I just heat up the spot where the controller port is with a heat gun? I've done a few xbox 360's before this way.

From the problems that I describe is it highly likely going to be one of these two scenarios?

If I have to replace it, is there somewhere I can source this part?

Thanks again, it would make my day to be able to bring this system back to working status :)

whisper2053

I just recently had to get my Duo fixed for doing EXACTLY the same things. It is the controller port, I'd put money on it. Does it have ANY wiggle on the board at all? Even if it doesn't, it's still likely to have a broken solder joint somewhere underneath it. Best bet is to re-solder or reflow all the connections that are between the port and the board itself, like was mentioned earlier. Once we did that with mine all the problems went away immediately.
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

pulstar

Quote from: Enternal on 03/12/2015, 08:56 PMFor reflowing is it ok if I just heat up the spot where the controller port is with a heat gun? I've done a few xbox 360's before this way.
Personally, I would remove all the solder from the points with a desoldering iron or a combo of soldering iron and solder pump/wick and then reapply more, fresh solder. Failing that, just heat the points with a soldering iron and add a little more solder to each point.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...